Introducing a new cat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Cora is out of reach Belle will try to stretch and give a little squeak that sounds like she wants to play, I am rewarding that with treats for everyone. But when Cora is on the floor Belles chase is not playful, almost predatory. That gets a strong no or нил зя! In Russian but we don't seem to be making progress.

SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED has made an executive decision that following our alphabet theme the малчик will be called Danig which is the Russian form for Danny. Sounds like a great name. Belle and Aza are interested I what's behind door number 1 but they are not obsessing, Cora has scented him on us and hasn't reacted negatively yet but has been stuck on top of the kitchen all evening so we will see. Danig's temperature seems better now and he has had his ears cleaned a couple of times tonight but we will be at the vet tomorrow morning anyway
Seems from the pics everyone is doing fine.

"asking should we be sterner with Belle when she starts liberating I mean chasing Cora?" - Well, I think it is a fine line. So the balance is to let them know it is not acceptable while not agitating and escalating them. So keeping the energy level at a point that doesn't cause more escalation. The best way to get a cat from chasing is for the other cat to have enough confidence to deter or prevent it in my opinion.

"When Cora is out of reach Belle will try to stretch and give a little squeak that sounds like she wants to play," - Awwwwwwwww

" I am rewarding that with treats for everyone." - Great. And use loving words as well.

" But when Cora is on the floor Belles chase is not playful, almost predatory. " - Yes. Is Cora acting insecure, like prey? Poor body language?

"That gets a strong no or нил зя! In Russian but we don't seem to be making progress." - Yes. When they are focused it is hard to distract. Keep building Cora's confidence and making those positive associations and positive encounters. A confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked.

"SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED has made an executive decision that following our alphabet theme the малчик will be called Danig which is the Russian form for Danny. Sounds like a great name. Belle and Aza are interested I what's behind door number 1 but they are not obsessing, Cora has scented him on us and hasn't reacted negatively yet but has been stuck on top of the kitchen all evening so we will see. Danig's temperature seems better now and he has had his ears cleaned a couple of times tonight but we will be at the vet tomorrow morning anyway " - Ok. Just make sure the illness doesn't spread then try to do an intro slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We were bringing Dan back from the vet where he has been getting a course of antibiotics and the lady who is one of our parking attendants saw him and started begging us to give him to her. We said it was too soon and he needed treatment and neutering and as we walked away we both said at that same time "give Danny to that alcoholic..never" so we are now a 4 cat family, Danny has moved into Alina's room and seen Aza through the window, they seem to be reacting well but since we have an appointment to vaccinate him on the 30th and neuter him 10 days after that he won't be able meet the girls in the flesh until the middle of next month.

It's normal procedure here to deworm and wait 10 days before vaccination - some vets will vaccinate and castrate at the same time but the one we are using is a Govt vet (yep they have private and Govt vets) and she says do it separately - cost for an injection of antibiotics 50 Hryvna that's just over 1GBP or 1.5 USD

Last edited:

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Belle is being our problem child, she is camping outside the bedroom door and yesterday evening started scratching and when Cora did the same from the other side Belle started hissing. Very unlike her. 2 meals now either side of a tilted balcony door. The screen allows about 2 inches of visibility between the rooms. Meals have been OK but I am reluctant to let Belle and Aza sit in that room for a long time. Am I being silly?
If there's a bad reaction, like hissing, you should continue to go slowly. Only move to the next step when all cats are on the up and up (being good). I'm concerned that if you let them see each other when there's still clearly tension, it will increase the tension. Cats don't "work it out themselves" when it comes to adding a new cat to the family anymore than you should be expected to just swallow and deal with it if your landlord suddenly forced you to share your rented home with a tenant that's a complete stranger to you.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Major negative today, we tried feeding all 3 cats in the hall, it's a big room with exits to lthe living room, bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom so plenty of space. The meal went OK then Cora (on lead) took herself into the living room. Aza is very nervous around Cora and brought her food back up, we then separated Aza and Belle and carried on with the introduction between Belle and Cora. Everything seemed OK Cora was playing in the living room with a feathered stick and Belle was minding her own business in the hall then when Cora was in the tunnel Belle came into the room. She seemed to cross some boundary even though she was over 2 metres away. Cora let out a terrifying scream like I have never heard before and launched herself at Belle at mach 2, luckily I had her lead and was able to prevent WW3 but we are very shaken and desperate for advice. I feel that wewenttoofar too fast even after 2 months and plan to go back to feeding either side of a glass door and 5 minutes introductions between Belle and Cora only for 5 minutes at a time. Sorry about the long message but I am out of ideas, my teeth hurt and I am almost in tears
Hey, just wondering- What's the age difference between Cora & your 2 older cats? It could be that the contrast in energy levels between the adults and the kitten is too great and she's making them mad because of her crazy kitten energy.

My Dad's senior cat Pretty Kitty HATED my kitten Boaz until my Dad and my brother Joshua brought their new kittens Asher (my brother's) and Posie (my dad's youngest) home. When Boaz had other kittens to play with, he was no longer so drawn to entice Pretty Kitty to play, and she was able to grow to tolerate him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not surprised that Danny is now an official member of your fur-mily. Maybe his presence will help with the interactions between the others.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, just wondering- What's the age difference between Cora & your 2 older cats? It could be that the contrast in energy levels between the adults and the kitten is too great and she's making them mad because of her crazy kitten energy.
Belle and Aza are 6 and 5 respectively Cora is about 18 months according to the vet who sterilised here. When we found her we would have thought younger because she was so small but she has gained weight nicely 3.5kg

Today watching Cora and Belle was interesting. Cora stayed up high, on top of the fridge and kitchen while Belle scratched at the fridge and squeaked quietly. Cora had ear not flattened back but less upright than normal and quite wide eyes , she also hissed but not loudly. I was able to distract everyone with treats and all was ok if not relaxed. Later Cora came down from the heavens before belle spotted her and hurried at her (fast low walk not run) Cora made a rapid retreat out of reach and all seemed ok.

Danny has seen Aza through a window, she seemed ok and his attitude seemed to be "Hello beautiful", we'll see how that changes once he has been to the vet for THAT trip. I am trying hard to keep Cora and Belle out of the way at the moment since I want introductions to start well. We have started scent swapping so everyone is aware of the other cats and Danny seems to be very relaxed and happy at home. I have been told that the area he is thought t have come from was the scene of very serious fighting but he seems to be trauma free thank God

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Danny was crying in the bedroom this evening so we decided to let him stretch his legs. Aza is the most even tempered of the girls so we spent a few minutes withe treats and this is the result. Danny looks completely relaxed. Aza is cautious but doesn't seem stressed
20220426_190851.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Danny was crying in the bedroom this evening so we decided to let him stretch his legs. Aza is the most even tempered of the girls so we spent a few minutes withe treats and this is the result. Danny looks completely relaxed. Aza is cautious but doesn't seem stressed View attachment 418323
"Cora stayed up high, on top of the fridge and kitchen while Belle scratched at the fridge and squeaked quietly. " - Ok, I like to reassure (Belle) when that happens to hopefully let them know all is ok.

"Cora had ear not flattened back but less upright than normal and quite wide eyes , she also hissed but not loudly. " - Yes, understandable.

"I was able to distract everyone with treats and all was ok if not relaxed." - GREAT!!!! Food when a precieved "threat" is around and there is not threat with the food is positive.

" Later Cora came down from the heavens before belle spotted her and hurried at her (fast low walk not run) Cora made a rapid retreat out of reach and all seemed ok." - Ok. Hopefully Cora gets more confident in time.

"Danny has seen Aza through a window, she seemed ok and his attitude seemed to be "Hello beautiful", we'll see how that changes once he has been to the vet for THAT trip." - Danny is intact?

" I am trying hard to keep Cora and Belle out of the way at the moment since I want introductions to start well." - Agreed

" We have started scent swapping so everyone is aware of the other cats and Danny seems to be very relaxed and happy at home." - Great

" I have been told that the area he is thought t have come from was the scene of very serious fighting but he seems to be trauma free thank God " - Thankfully!!!

"Danny was crying in the bedroom this evening so we decided to let him stretch his legs." - Oh my

" Aza is the most even tempered of the girls" - Totally. She could be the bridge for them all.

" so we spent a few minutes withe treats and this is the result." - Great

" Danny looks completely relaxed." - He looks fantastic (and gorgeous).

" Aza is cautious but doesn't seem stressed" - Yes, just keep it as positive as can be. Reassure her to let her know all is ok.

Let us know how they are doing. So far so good.