Introducing A New Cat (and Prob. Making Every Possible Mistake)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, It didn't show me that there is a photo in the second post.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ginger is a kitten? he looks huge.

When I got Betsy I had an issue with getting a cat fixed, but I saw how much she was crying and seemed to be suffering during a heat. Plus when I took her to get fixed the vet found a tumor, so it even saved her life. With Stella I didn't even hesitate.

Hope that Conan and Der Baron (great names) will get along quickly.
Thanks, I do, too!

One thing that seemed to keep the river of pee at bay was paying a little extra special attention to Baron. He didn't like to climb in my lap in his usual place, instead going into a sort of exile on the other side of the house. (I have a big house.) So I went to him last evening, and gave him what he appeared to find a really invigorating fondle, and, so far, no new puddle o'pee today.

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I do, too!

One thing that seemed to keep the river of pee at bay was paying a little extra special attention to Baron. He didn't like to climb in my lap in his usual place, instead going into a sort of exile on the other side of the house. (I have a big house.) So I went to him last evening, and gave him what he appeared to find a really invigorating fondle, and, so far, no new puddle o'pee today.
I brought Betsy to me, I moved her bed next to coach so I can pet her at night.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so the ginger is not a kitten but a big boy (:D).

There is one thing that I find super funny about Stella (the kitten). She'll walk from the bedroom to the kitchen and from the sofa to the computer table. but she won't go in the center of the living room (unless she's running back to the bedroom). I bring her to the sofa, I never saw her getting there on her own.
Ginger is a kitten, and I think he'll be a barbarian when he grows up. I can't get them to pose near each other, so it's not really clear yet.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait!

Missed a picture of Conan und Der Baron really close - if not for long.

I kinda forced this one about a week ago. Baron will get over it. Note the difference in size.

77B44639-1FD3-4D5A-B9ED-33168F92E4C0.jpeg

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So... |We started having more interaction. Stella spends more time out of the bedroom and she played all over the living room today including inside Betsy's bed (in the pic). She was out of the room from 4 A.M. till 9 P.M. but i had to lock her in once so she can eat and use the litterbox uninterrupted. They are still fighting (the pic is a second before Betsy hit her), So I have to intervene a lot, but we had a few sweet moments: they napped on the couch (second pic) and they both sat next to me (one on each side) as I was working on the computer).
My problem now is that although Betsy sometimes sniffs Stella and walks away and sometimes attacks., Stella gets into defense mood every time Betsy is close to her- she makes herself as small as possible, draws back her ears and hisses like crazy. She does it even if Betsy is just walking near her.
Ideas how to calm her down?

Attachments

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So... |We started having more interaction. Stella spends more time out of the bedroom and she played all over the living room today including inside Betsy's bed (in the pic). She was out of the room from 4 A.M. till 9 P.M. but i had to lock her in once so she can eat and use the litterbox uninterrupted. They are still fighting (the pic is a second before Betsy hit her), So I have to intervene a lot, but we had a few sweet moments: they napped on the couch (second pic) and they both sat next to me (one on each side) as I was working on the computer).
My problem now is that although Betsy sometimes sniffs Stella and walks away and sometimes attacks., Stella gets into defense mood every time Betsy is close to her- she makes herself as small as possible, draws back her ears and hisses like crazy. She does it even if Betsy is just walking near her.
Ideas how to calm her down?
Kittens seriously disturb the equilibrium of older cats. Conan did that, too, and everyone's gradually accepting him, and he's gradually accepting them.

Just be patient. Sounds like the normal course of Kitty Events.

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not the older cat I'm trying to calm down, It's the Kitten.
I'm not stressed anymore, I just hate seeing her this scared.

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update. this pics are from Saturday. they sleep one next to the other but when they're awake they tend to fight. today was a really bed day. I don't sperate them right away but I try to interfere before the actual fighting starts. The kitten was on the chair and the cat came to sniff her out as usual, when I saw she's not backing off and even whacking the kitten when I'm right there, i decided to pick up the kitten and take her back to the room. When I picked her up, I saw that she peed on her self.

after a while i went to the room and betsy (the cat) snuck in between my feet (she does that, then hisses and then just sits and stares at the kitten while i chase her off). Today she jumped and started hitting stella (the kitten), so i sprayed her, but she didn't even notice, so i came to pick her up and she hissed at me, so i grabbed her using a shirt and only then managed to get her out of the room.
now she's just staring at the kitten through the gate.

it's been two month, i know it takes time, but its beginning to really be a problem for me.
and this weekend I'm out of the country for 4 days, my dad will come and feed them, but I'm wondering if to leave them separated through the gate or to actually leave the door closed.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry it's taking so long for them to get along. I've never had 2 cats at the same time, so I can't offer any introduction advice/suggestions from experience. I'm sure you've read everything there is on cat introductions by now, but here's the link to a TCS article that was published after you started this thread. Maybe there'll be something helpful in it. How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
I decided to try a new thing. Before everytime things got too intense I put Stella (the kitten) back in the room, After yesterday fight and tonight, I put Betsy in the room. Betsy did play in the room and Stella explored new regions of the apartment so I think it's helping.
After I come back I'll try doing that for a full night.

Attachments

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i'm back after being away for 4 days. my dad came over to feed them. They were separated the all time by the gate. Betsy (the cat) doesn't like my dad so she hides every time he comes. Stella (the kitten) hid at the beginning and then started coming to meet him. Yesterday Betsy was very aggressive and kept hissing at my dad.
So today I finally got home and they were both super cuddly with me. I brought Stella to the lounge and Betsy jumped her. I fell asleep without separating them and woke up to the pictures below. They've been cuddling with me in bed all day.

And of course now Betsy jumped her again.

Attachments

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update- I stopped separating them at night. I still have to sometimes separate them so Stella can eat and go to the litter box in peace (including during the night). They are testing each other limits (Stella doesn't get why playing with Betsy's tail gets her a smack from Betsy). They still fight and Betsy still has the upper hand. They sometimes fight while both sitting on me or near me (which lead to 4 tiny scratches on my cheeks, nose and upper lip). But for the last two night I woke up to this (see pic).
Plus this weekend Stella was diagnosed with a possible slight case of Asthma.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you sure they are fighting, and not mock fighting? Sorry about the possible Asthma. And your scratches.

Sharkybu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The screaming and hissing makes me think its actual fighting. and the fact that after Stella clings to me like shes trying to crawl under my skin.