Impossible Cat

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orange is right, it's probably best to get Drontal tablets. Let me check around for some better prices. You'll probably need 3 pills total since the weight chart says 1 1/2 tablets then again in two or three weeks. My childhood outdoor cats didn't like to play with us, they only wanted to cuddle and eat when they came inside. Their playing was them killing rodents outside.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Honeybee uses claws most of the time..so we try to use wand toys or toss mice toys down the hallway for her to chase. So funny seeing her slide across the floor trying to catch it-tail whirring as she tries to not loose her balance...I wish I had enough cell power to upload a video but it would take DAYS.

Pumps only claws when she is scared-when picking her up to give meds-she digs in-but I am used to it now. I clip her claws. Honeybee gets hers done at clinic. I should try when she's sleeping-every night I have been playing with her toes and touching paws-she normally HATES this awake..so when she's sleeping I try to condition her to tolerate it and I get about 15 seconds before she wakes up to whack me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, mag. since they wanted to send me one tablet,
i assumed one was all i needed, not 3.
i'm still not sure if boxing with drifter is a smart move.
she could someday make a mistake n scratch me.
things would then be very bad.
i'm indulging myself because it's fun.
i made a wand toy but it scares her.
i think, like your outdoor cats, drifter does not need
play, like indoor cats do.
foxy, i touch drifter's front paws lots. she doesn't mind.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It says 1 1/2 tablets if they are 9 to 12 pounds. Then again two or three weeks later. So 3 tablets total, unless she is under 9 pounds.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gotcha. My vet also had us put that tablet inside a syringe with a bit of water sucked up-takes a few hours to dissolve then you can shoot it in her mouth-but I don't have luck with this method. I use a pill buster/popper and coat pill with butter and get mouth open with finger at side of mouth then aim to back of tongue and push plunger then give a bit of syringed up water afterwards OR feed her to make sure pill travels to tummy. I have to get my boyfriend to take pictures of me pilling my cat Pumpkin face. She gets pills twice a day. Although she's not feral anymore she is tolerant but doesn't like it-the trick is to have everything out on the counter and a good high spot to put the cat so you don't lean down. Carpeted surface works best so she won't slide across. I found this small tree cat post that I put her ontop of to administer meds=it's the perfect height-not too high and not too low. Couch works good too. We don't want to bust our backs lol.

Of course if putting it in food works-that's easier too but I never had luck with them eating the entire contents before so that's why I pill using the pill popper I got of Amazon, butter and voila!

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
looks like i won't get dontral. they are asking for a script.
we are not going to a vet, so i can't get a script.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get it on Amazon without a prescription, but they quit selling it. I'll keep looking. Orange knows about some other de-wormers that I've never tried, maybe she can tell you another brand that's safe. What brand do you use on Misfit, Orange?

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
there are problems with not going to a vet.
but, you guys know i work really hard on both planning n execution of my training program.
drifter is still feral. i won't confine her to a carrier.
she has never once felt trapped n this is a big deal.
with the cuddling, her feeling free is the basis of what i'm doing.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully we can find where to buy it online. I'll let you know what I find out. What website did you buy the Tapeworm tablets from that you gave Drifter?

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, mag. i got them on amazon.
i guess i can get 60 pills on amazon, but i can't afford that.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way, don't get the 60 pills, you would never use them before they expire. I'll keep looking today and let you know what I find out.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think they sold Drontal OTC anymore, unless you by 50 tablets (which as I mentioned would treat several cats for life). That's why I buy fenbendazole (brands: SafeGuard, Panacur, or PetArmor).

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey guys what about this? Praziquantel 50mg/ Pyrantel Pamoate 144mg, Febantel 150mg is this cat safe?

Do you have a tnr rescue in your county you can call and ask about what wormers to use/get? They would know-or a house traveling vet? I know you want to do your best.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this area is far to rural for tnr.
plus folks would run tnr people out of town.
cats are treasured here. we want all we can get
orange, are you talking goat dewormer for $25?
i hate all this chemistry n weird drug names i don't understand.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foxxy, what is the name of that one that you mentioned? There are tons of websites, but I don't know which ones are safe. Orange, I just bought a Frontline knockoff from Pet Armor, I haven't used it yet, I'm waiting until the first of the month. Do you have a link to the Pet Armor de-wormer? Does the cat need a heartworm test before trying that kind though?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought SafeGuard a few weeks ago off Amazon because it was a little less than ProSense or Panacur. They are all the same product.

Heartworm is a different parasite. The wormer's we're discussing are for intestinal worms and will not be effective for heartworm. Ivermectin is the ingredient in HeartGuard and a few other cat heartworm medicines.