Impossible Cat

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have found this thread to be incredibly difficult to read. You ask for advice but you don't truly want to hear it. I am not exactly sure what kind of "training" you are doing... I have socialized TONS of feral cats and have never needed to use punishment. It sounds like you are punishing her for being a cat. I am afraid if she is pregnant and hope that if she is that you listen to our advice about the kittens.
Again, to mimic what everyone else is saying, we aren't trying to be rude or troll your post. We genuinely care about Drifter.

Stray Cathouse Madame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you're right. I have a stray that we found earlier this year- and she still daily wolfs down either too much food or eats too quickly... and hurls it all back up. It doesn't concern her one bit either; I think she's been doing it her whole life. It's a nasty thing to deal with too, with 4 other cats in the house.
LeiLana80 LeiLana80 try looking into a "challenge" feeder. I have 2 grazers and 1 wolfer who was getting rather hefty from overeating. We got the Trixie feeder and the wolfer has trimmed back down to a healthier size.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
S Stray Cathouse Madame - we tried that, among lots of other things!

Eventually we figured out the magic method for her: Give her a very small amount of food (like a spoonful, watered down). It became a routine for her, and it was just enough for her to be satisfied, and she now just leaves the other bowls alone! She still sometimes eats too much dry food and hurls, but it's only like once a month now (HOORAY).

I think she also had to grow out of the stray mentality when it comes to food (eat as much as you can right now because you won't eat again EVER!!!) She's still a stinker, but at least she's not leaving us urpy presents all the time!! haha

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Susi, I've been away from this thread for a while and have just been reading over the last few pages. I just want to suggest, from my own experience, that there are many effective training methods that you can use that don't involve hitting or kicking a cat. When my cats' horseplay gets out of hand and they become too aggressive with each other, I use a firm voice and say their names and "NO, " and clap my hands, and they chill out. And on the rare occasions when they have been too wound up to respond, I have thrown a soft slipper in their direction to break up the conflict. The slipper does not hit them, but it gets their attention off of each other and onto me. And on a for a short period of time, I used a plant water sprayer to lightly spritz my one cat to keep him from trying to run out the door when I needed to open my front door ( for his safety). I have not had to do that for a very long time. When socializing my one young male feral cat, there were a few occasions when he was trying to bully my other cats by physically mounting them that I had to get down to his level and make a hissing sound in his face. Cats understand this is a sign of disapproval, because it is how their parent cats train them. I have five cats in my home, and if I hadn't used these methods, there would have been total chaos. I have two young male alpha cats, a very feisty young female cat, a cat who is partially lame, and a sick geriatric cat. And believe it or not, they coexist peacefully 90% of the time, and the other 10% the young ones are just roughhousing too much But now all I have to do is just say their names firmly when they become too aggressive in their play, and they listen to me.

Let me tell you honestly that hitting cats does not work, it only destroys trust between you and them. Trust that may never be restored because cats have very long memories. They are not unlike children in that respect. When I was about 12, my mother slapped me hard in the face. I don't remember what I did, but I do remember that she had been drinking. And I remember that slap to this day even though I am middle-aged now. I know she loved me, and I forgave her, but I never forgot the hurt and shock I experienced with that slap. Cats are like that. They are intelligent and fragile beings with long memories. I just ask that instead of responding with anger and defensiveness, that you consider what I am saying and what others have said so you and Drifter can have a close and happy relationship. And I do hope that after she has these kittens that you will please get her spayed. It is the very kindest thing in the world that you could do for her. Take care and thank you for continuing to care for her.

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never saw the worms in my cats' poop until I gave them the Drontal de-wormer. The worms come out in the poop after the medicine kills them. Look on your cat's chin, do you see any black stuff? That could be flea dirt. I'm sure she has fleas if she lives outside, and probably worms from the fleas and mice.

this is old but gotta chime in. black stuff on the chin is kitty acne not flea dirt. flea dirt you're going to find all over. but that stuff on the chin is feline acne

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
susieqz susieqz Sorry to see there's been no recent updates on Drifter. Even though I didn't agree with some of your thoughts about cats, I know you cared deeply for Drifter, and am sorry if I was part of the reason you stopped posting.

If you should see this post, and can reply, I would love to know if Drifter was in fact pregnant. And if she was pregnant, did everything go ok with the births?