Impossible Cat

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good. i'll tell you something stupid.
i gave her less breakfast this morn n it really hurt me
Do you have a scale to weigh yourself? If/when you get to where you can pick her up, you can step on a scale with her then subtract your weight. Or if you can get her in a carrier, you could set the carrier on a scale and subtract the carrier's weight.

Doesn't sound like she's fat if you can feel her ribs. You've been giving her 3/4 tuna cans of food 3 times a day. How many calories is that per day? I guess you'd have to know how many cups of food she's eating.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to wait a month to try the Frontline again. For the de-wormer you have to wait 2 or 3 weeks. You can get roundworm liquid at Walmart. My cats hate it in their food though. You can still get Drontal online, but I don't know what the trusted sites are. My vet charges $8 a pill, so that would be $24 per cat, maybe $32 for Demi since he's almost 13 pounds. Not too bad if I only do it twice a year. Yeah, I always make sure the stuff I use says for cats just to be safe.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
most cats need at least 150 calories a day. Do you feed kibble too? Just feeding tuna alone won't give all the vitamins and minerals...do you have a tractor supply near you? they have good kibble at a reasonable price. $8 for bag of five pounds-lasts my two cats 6 to 8 weeks-so drifter probably last longer. Also winter is coming and she will need extra calories IF she's still living outside=they burn a ton of calories in the winter so I wouldn't worry about drifter being fat. A ten pound cat needs I THINK (I could be wrong) 2/3 to 1 cup of dry food of the 4Health brand a day=I measure out because my 13 lb cat is overweight-she was always 10.5 lbs until she got elderly..so we have cut back 10% the amount..never starve a cat-not that you will-just letting you know their liver can't handle fasting like we do-the fat deposits clog up the liver and cause trouble=rule of thumb-if cat is sick and wont eat-don't go more than 3 days without force feeding/vet visit etc=that's just info for you-not to alarm you.

Just in case something comes up later on. In the morning I feed my girls 1/4 can of tuna-I mash the tuna in the bowl-then add water to make it like pudding-they usually only drink the juice and leave the meat to snack on later.

Also chicken of the sea dark tuna seems to be the favorite of cats-my girls hate white tuna...FYI

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i found the fenbendazole for goats at amazon, but it's a liquid.
i wouldn't trst myself to dose properly.

dirifter has found a substitute for catnip. after rolling in crushed grape leaves n sand she got crazy. she got on he back, then tried to grab her back paws with her front paws.then, she lept into the air with her head pointing north n ended up landing with her head pointing south.
amazing feat of gymnastics.
after zooming around chasing invisible animals, she chewed on a grape leaf.
then, she decided to dig for prey.
she was trying to get under this RR tie,
this tie is holding down my outdoor carpet n she's tearing it out from under.
i don't like this much, but this isn't the sort of behavior i can correct.
she's just being a silly cat, which is not a punishable offence.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
drifter gets 1 1/2 cups of friskies/day. that's what she has always got.
i think she gets mice too, but i don't know how many.

i notice she is very comfy in the house.
i think that's because she never feels trapped. she goes in n out at will.
opening the door all the time is a pain for me, but i've been trying to avoid any trapped feeling from day 1.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does sound like a little much, maybe try cutting it back by 1/4 cup and see what happens. Or replace some of that with a little canned food. My cats get half a cup of dry food and 3oz of wet food each. I might increase the wet food a little this winter. So they get right around a cup of food each per day I think. Walmart has a really cheap de-wormer for roundworms, it's called Piperazine. But if you find a trusted place to buy Drontal online with good prices, let me know.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's too much food. Misfit has been eating 220-240 calories a day and is 7.5 pounds. She runs and hunts so much that she burns a lot of calories. Farrell the indoor kitty is only eating 180 calories at 9 pounds and is getting fat pads on her ribs.

The one-gram fenbendazole is the correct dosage in measured packets for a 10 pound cat.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's too much food.
Scratch that. It is too much food. I just looked up two different flavors of Friskies kibble and they were both 350-400 kcals/cup. There is no way she needs that many calories, unless she's the most active thirty-pound cat in history!

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok, i'll cut the food, but it's so hard to do. mag thanks for the walmart tip. i deal with them online.
i really didn't wanna buy liquid.
i'm gonna go check my measure again. i did it once, but i forget.
guys, i was incorrect 3/4 tuna can is a bit less than 1/2 cup of kibble, so i'm ok?
she gets that twice/day.
still looks chubby, but i can't measure mice.

Last edited:

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
great, thanks. looks like that piper stuff comes in a gallon?
just for roundworm?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely don't need a gallon of it! The one at Walmart is 4oz.