How Do I Help This Mother?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
Darkiplier Darkiplier - where are she and the kittens staying now?

In post #1 up above you said
"It's winter and it's pretty cold, but the doorman and his wife kick her out whenever they find her inside. How can I help her?"​
I mean, that's just a horror story.

Has any of that changed?

I mean, could you bring her inside your place? Only 2 things are needed: a cardboard box for her "nest" and another box for her toilet.

Meantime, yes, it's great that you are helping...but, if she doesn't get fixed, this cycle of kittens will never end.

If you post the town/city you're in, we could snoop around and try to find some help for her.
She gave birth a couple of floors above me. First she was staying on some paper sheets my uncle didn't discard properly but we gave her a cardboard box that she moved her babies inside now.

It's Alexandria, Egypt. I find a lot of really sweet cats that I wish I could help. And when I say really sweet I mean really affectionate.

Also, she's allowed in now because of the babies. I haven't seen them at all except for one time from a distance. She knows when I'm outside and always comes to me, which isn't good because she's very sneaky and always spooks me. It also means I have to leave some food out whenever I'm going somewhere because she follows me to the end of the street to where I pick up a taxi and that makes me really uncomfortable.

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she's going in and out, she is likely to become pregnant again soon. Can you keep her and the kittens indoors, away from males?
Practically impossible. Other people in the building let her out.

How can I get her fixed though?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google exactly this: "cat rescue in alexandria egypt".

You'll see many organizations that do cat rescue there....make contact and have her and the kittens taken from there.

Then you will have done your part.

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
Google exactly this: "cat rescue in alexandria egypt".

You'll see many organizations that do cat rescue there....make contact and have her and the kittens taken from there.

Then you will have done your part.
All right. I'll try to get in contact with them, even the Facebook groups. Last time they replied like a month or two later (it was too late, but it wasn't their fault) so I hope they actually respond.

There's also a pet shop who said he doesn't mind taking street cats in, but I don't want to burden him with six new cats, and I don't think his business is very lucrative. I'd honestly just let them waddle right in if I was allowed to.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I wouldn't deal with a pet shop...and, one that doesn't have very much business??? No way. He will have no regard for the care/welfare of any animal.

Now, look, if you message any group and then just sit back and wait for a reply.....well, the same thing will happen as last time. You have to do it repeatedly, explain the urgency and the dangers the 5 kittens & mother are exposed to.

Do these people have a phone number? The place in Giza does....are they a possibility?

So, 'make a stink' with these people and cause them to act.

There's no body else for these little ones, so go for it !

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I contacted two different people. One I mailed two days ago and the other I sent a message to right now. I just sent another mail to the first one.

I saw the babies briefly and they're so adorable omg. They can actually walk around now and stuff, I love them. I'm yet to meet them in person tho.

FarmersWife24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's actually somewhat calmed down after getting pregnant. She wouldn't let me touch her sides for too long, though that's expected. I sadly do not have that option, but if I did I would've taken it already. I hope she gives birth on the doorstep like last time though and not in the street. It's very cold right now.

Then it's most likely the latter. I thought mother cats made their babies go away when they got old enough, though? But we do have a few toms in the street. She'd often run up to me because they're scared of people and wouldn't come near me.

If grown toms don't go off on their own to find their own mates or get chased away by other territorial toms, a mother will actually continue to try to provide for them. It sounds cute but if she's not spayed and gets pregnant again, she'll be trying to provide for those rather grown kittens plus her new litter -- then there's nursing. This is another reason why it's so important to get her spayed after her next litter, socialize those kittens, and get them adopted as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for doing what you can. You're making a difference for every cat that comes into your life.

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
So here's an update: One of the two shelters I found isn't responding and the other made a public post. They can't take her in (or at least I inferred so) because they have too many bills to cover and almost no donations. If they make a Patreon or some other way, I'll share it on this site and Reddit ASAP.

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a picture of one of the babies but I'm too lazy to upload it.

She's (I think, didn't check) very tiny. A bit scared of me and hisses a lot but she comes out when the mum is near and lets me touch her if she (the baby) doesn't see my hand. She's pretty warm.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I live in Egypt with my parents; I'm underage and will finish highschool this year.
So this summer I was out of country for roughly three months, and when I came back, I found that a cat had given birth in our apartment building; she moved between floors as they were working on some stuff and it was very noisy for her and the kittens, and they eventually moved to our floor.
I'd feed her scraps and little bits of food, and she'd let me hold her kittens and move them around, though she's very moody herself, but she generally tolerates me and I like to think that she's beginning to like me; she runs up to me and purrs as she rubs against my leg, but other times she would just turn around and bite/scratch me when I try to pet her... Before immediately rubbing up against my leg again. She even lets me pick her up sometimes, but no belly rubs.
The kittens left a while ago, but now she's pregnant again. It's winter and it's pretty cold, but the doorman and his wife kick her out whenever they find her inside. How can I help her? I want to make sure she gives birth in an environment safe from the harsh weather. She's been pregnant for roughly three or four weeks at most. Her sides aren't very big, and last time she had two babies only (or three and one of them died, but I wasn't there so I have no idea).
How can I help her?
What do your parents think? Can they help?

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do your parents think? Can they help?
They wouldn't spend money on a street cat.

Just in case this helps;
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Here are some articles - they aren't long but in case you haven't seen them already they might be of help as you go along;

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide
How to Treat Fleas in Young Kittens
The Essentials of Kitten Nutrition
How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother?
I know how to upload them, I'm just lazy.

I'll check the threads out tho, thanks!

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lil story that might interest you dudes:

So I'm staying at my grandmother's for a couple of days because I have an exam on Saturday.

Anyways, there's a cat here (abandoned white longhair) who is also pregnant; working on getting her to a pet shop I can trust. Anyways I was petting her today when a dog sneaked up on us and kept his distance till she walked off then he and I became friends.