Help/Advice for introductions

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another small attempted chase this morning. I was giving them treats as normal with Fluffy's leash on and they were eating treats pretty close together and calm.Fluffy went to sniff Sapphire and she hissed at him and started to swat at him and of course he got excited and tried to jump on her. She backed up hissing and growling, really low to the ground, ears back, etc. Fluffy would not relent and kept trying to go for her and she took off to her room upstairs and he tried to chase after her. I went upstairs and gave her plenty of love (though I could tell she wanted to be left alone after a bit because she would let out this half meow half growl to me). She remained up there and didn't come back down and gave Fluffy a hiss from afar when I brought him up to my room.
"Another small attempted chase this morning. I was giving them treats as normal with Fluffy's leash on and they were eating treats pretty close together and calm." - Great

"Fluffy went to sniff Sapphire and she hissed at him and started to swat at him and of course he got excited and tried to jump on her." - Yep. That happens.

"She backed up hissing and growling, really low to the ground, ears back, etc. " - Hmmmmmm, I am kinda surprised.

"Fluffy would not relent and kept trying to go for her" - Yep, not surprising.

" and she took off to her room upstairs and he tried to chase after her." - Yes, his instinct kicked in. :/

" I went upstairs and gave her plenty of love (though I could tell she wanted to be left alone after a bit because she would let out this half meow half growl to me). " - Ok

"She remained up there and didn't come back down" - Ok

" and gave Fluffy a hiss from afar when I brought him up to my room." - OK

Any idea as to why she did that? Did he look "scary"? Or intimidating?

Let us know how they do through the day today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Another small attempted chase this morning. I was giving them treats as normal with Fluffy's leash on and they were eating treats pretty close together and calm." - Great

"Fluffy went to sniff Sapphire and she hissed at him and started to swat at him and of course he got excited and tried to jump on her." - Yep. That happens.

"She backed up hissing and growling, really low to the ground, ears back, etc. " - Hmmmmmm, I am kinda surprised.

"Fluffy would not relent and kept trying to go for her" - Yep, not surprising.

" and she took off to her room upstairs and he tried to chase after her." - Yes, his instinct kicked in. :/

" I went upstairs and gave her plenty of love (though I could tell she wanted to be left alone after a bit because she would let out this half meow half growl to me). " - Ok

"She remained up there and didn't come back down" - Ok

" and gave Fluffy a hiss from afar when I brought him up to my room." - OK

Any idea as to why she did that? Did he look "scary"? Or intimidating?

Let us know how they do through the day today.
Hmm I'm not actually sure. Unless he's behind some kind of barrier, Sapphire still gets pretty defensive if he comes to her vs if she is the one that goes to him. He wants to go see her and even if he's acting calm she will not have any of it. Most of the time she will give him a wack and sometimes he backs off, other times he gets excited.

She went for a nap in her room after I brought Fluffy to my room. I'm guessing she'll be a little bit cautious of him for the day and then get more comfortable again tomorrow as that seems to be how the routine goes.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I'm not actually sure. Unless he's behind some kind of barrier, Sapphire still gets pretty defensive if he comes to her vs if she is the one that goes to him. He wants to go see her and even if he's acting calm she will not have any of it. Most of the time she will give him a wack and sometimes he backs off, other times he gets excited.

She went for a nap in her room after I brought Fluffy to my room. I'm guessing she'll be a little bit cautious of him for the day and then get more comfortable again tomorrow as that seems to be how the routine goes.
"Hmm I'm not actually sure. Unless he's behind some kind of barrier, Sapphire still gets pretty defensive if he comes to her vs if she is the one that goes to him. He wants to go see her and even if he's acting calm she will not have any of it. Most of the time she will give him a wack and sometimes he backs off, other times he gets excited." - Ok. SO she trusts him but not totally yet. More on her terms. That is fine.

"She went for a nap in her room after I brought Fluffy to my room. " - Ok, that doesn't sound bad. IF she was scared, etc I am not sure she would settle so quickly.

"I'm guessing she'll be a little bit cautious of him for the day and then get more comfortable again tomorrow as that seems to be how the routine goes." - Ok, let's see. A little cautious is not an issue.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Hmm I'm not actually sure. Unless he's behind some kind of barrier, Sapphire still gets pretty defensive if he comes to her vs if she is the one that goes to him. He wants to go see her and even if he's acting calm she will not have any of it. Most of the time she will give him a wack and sometimes he backs off, other times he gets excited." - Ok. SO she trusts him but not totally yet. More on her terms. That is fine.

"She went for a nap in her room after I brought Fluffy to my room. " - Ok, that doesn't sound bad. IF she was scared, etc I am not sure she would settle so quickly.

"I'm guessing she'll be a little bit cautious of him for the day and then get more comfortable again tomorrow as that seems to be how the routine goes." - Ok, let's see. A little cautious is not an issue.
She is totally fine haha I was giving them treats nose to nose at the gate with no hissing or anything just an hour ago.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:yess::hyper::clap2:

FANTASTIC!!! :D
It's pretty much the routine now haha.

This is the point I am stuck at with intros. They are both really good at the gates, Fluffy has been really good with no leash, easily distractable and even though he tries to get closer to her, he's not in a rush to do so. The issue arises when he does get close to her and she either wacks him and gets him excited or he just happens to get excited.

I don't know how to raise her confidence or fix this last little issue.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's pretty much the routine now haha.

This is the point I am stuck at with intros. They are both really good at the gates, Fluffy has been really good with no leash, easily distractable and even though he tries to get closer to her, he's not in a rush to do so. The issue arises when he does get close to her and she either wacks him and gets him excited or he just happens to get excited.

I don't know how to raise her confidence or fix this last little issue.
"It's pretty much the routine now haha." - That is positive

"This is the point I am stuck at with intros. They are both really good at the gates, Fluffy has been really good with no leash, easily distractable and even though he tries to get closer to her, he's not in a rush to do so." - Yes, the last bit can be slow and frustrating. BUT the fact people get there (usually with a strong base of trust) is positive. It 'feels" stuck but in reality it is just part of the process where the last bit sometimes takes time. It is the time where the cats need to step up, where all our confidence work, positive associations/positive encounters pay off.

"The issue arises when he does get close to her and she either wacks him and gets him excited or he just happens to get excited." - Yes. So really at that point we need her to project confidence, to let him know where the line is, what is acceptable, etc. Wecan distract, reassure, etc BUT we need them (and therefore all the work prior) to step up and negotiate a "détente". Fluffy and Sapphire will do that.

"I don't know how to raise her confidence or fix this last little issue." - Keep doing what you are doing, try to distract, reassure to ensure a positive association and positive encounter. It will happen, it is hard to predict when. Sometimes it is like a lightswitch right away, sometimes it takes some turbulence then the lightswitch happens. But we need them to work it out with some help from us.

You are doing great, just keep doing what you are doing. Fluffy still has a "novelty" factor with his new sister so once he kinda gets over that to some degree he will be a bit better with her which should then help her confidence.

They are doing great. Keep doing what you are doing. They are VERY close. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"It's pretty much the routine now haha." - That is positive

"This is the point I am stuck at with intros. They are both really good at the gates, Fluffy has been really good with no leash, easily distractable and even though he tries to get closer to her, he's not in a rush to do so." - Yes, the last bit can be slow and frustrating. BUT the fact people get there (usually with a strong base of trust) is positive. It 'feels" stuck but in reality it is just part of the process where the last bit sometimes takes time. It is the time where the cats need to step up, where all our confidence work, positive associations/positive encounters pay off.

"The issue arises when he does get close to her and she either wacks him and gets him excited or he just happens to get excited." - Yes. So really at that point we need her to project confidence, to let him know where the line is, what is acceptable, etc. Wecan distract, reassure, etc BUT we need them (and therefore all the work prior) to step up and negotiate a "détente". Fluffy and Sapphire will do that.

"I don't know how to raise her confidence or fix this last little issue." - Keep doing what you are doing, try to distract, reassure to ensure a positive association and positive encounter. It will happen, it is hard to predict when. Sometimes it is like a lightswitch right away, sometimes it takes some turbulence then the lightswitch happens. But we need them to work it out with some help from us.

You are doing great, just keep doing what you are doing. Fluffy still has a "novelty" factor with his new sister so once he kinda gets over that to some degree he will be a bit better with her which should then help her confidence.

They are doing great. Keep doing what you are doing. They are VERY close. :)
Thank you so much again for all of your support. It is definitely a struggle and very stressful at this point haha.

Sapphire is definitely interested in him. She'll always go see what's up if I'm playing with Fluffy and she'll just sit by the gates for quite some time. Last night after I put Fluffy to bed and left the room, she was sitting right at his door.

Also, no updates from this morning. Fluffy did try and run at her when she jumped down from her cat tree, but we were about 10 feet away so the combination of the leash and a treat distracted him. He was acting a bit mischievous so I put him in his play pen while Sapphire sat on her cat tree and watched him. He was trying really hard to get out to go to her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much again for all of your support. It is definitely a struggle and very stressful at this point haha.

Sapphire is definitely interested in him. She'll always go see what's up if I'm playing with Fluffy and she'll just sit by the gates for quite some time. Last night after I put Fluffy to bed and left the room, she was sitting right at his door.

Also, no updates from this morning. Fluffy did try and run at her when she jumped down from her cat tree, but we were about 10 feet away so the combination of the leash and a treat distracted him. He was acting a bit mischievous so I put him in his play pen while Sapphire sat on her cat tree and watched him. He was trying really hard to get out to go to her.
"Thank you so much again for all of your support." - You are very welcome but you all deserve the thanks for saving lives and doing all the work.

"It is definitely a struggle and very stressful at this point haha." - Yes BUT it is all worth it with many years of good times in the future.

"Sapphire is definitely interested in him. She'll always go see what's up if I'm playing with Fluffy and she'll just sit by the gates for quite some time. " - THAT is very positive. She jsut needs that last bit of trust and confidence. She will get there. So far, so good.

"Last night after I put Fluffy to bed and left the room, she was sitting right at his door." - Awwwwww, that is positive. Not a sign of a cat that is afraid, etc.

"Also, no updates from this morning." - Ok

" Fluffy did try and run at her when she jumped down from her cat tree," - Yes, that is normal. That will probably happen fairly often AFTER they are intro'd. BUT at that point she will be able to handle it.

" but we were about 10 feet away so the combination of the leash and a treat distracted him." - Great. At some point we will have to let them more leeway (in time).

" He was acting a bit mischievous so I put him in his play pen while Sapphire sat on her cat tree and watched him." - Great

" He was trying really hard to get out to go to her. " - Awwwww, in a playful way? How was she responding?

I get every indication that he so wants to play with her and not being able to is a bit frustrating. BUT I think they will be able to soon. Just keep up the good work. The more she sees him focusing on eating a meal or treats, or playing, etc and she is safe, not being looked at etc the more trust and confidence she will have. And the more she will be able to "keep him in line" when they eventually are together.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Thank you so much again for all of your support." - You are very welcome but you all deserve the thanks for saving lives and doing all the work.

"It is definitely a struggle and very stressful at this point haha." - Yes BUT it is all worth it with many years of good times in the future.

"Sapphire is definitely interested in him. She'll always go see what's up if I'm playing with Fluffy and she'll just sit by the gates for quite some time. " - THAT is very positive. She jsut needs that last bit of trust and confidence. She will get there. So far, so good.

"Last night after I put Fluffy to bed and left the room, she was sitting right at his door." - Awwwwww, that is positive. Not a sign of a cat that is afraid, etc.

"Also, no updates from this morning." - Ok

" Fluffy did try and run at her when she jumped down from her cat tree," - Yes, that is normal. That will probably happen fairly often AFTER they are intro'd. BUT at that point she will be able to handle it.

" but we were about 10 feet away so the combination of the leash and a treat distracted him." - Great. At some point we will have to let them more leeway (in time).

" He was acting a bit mischievous so I put him in his play pen while Sapphire sat on her cat tree and watched him." - Great

" He was trying really hard to get out to go to her. " - Awwwww, in a playful way? How was she responding?

I get every indication that he so wants to play with her and not being able to is a bit frustrating. BUT I think they will be able to soon. Just keep up the good work. The more she sees him focusing on eating a meal or treats, or playing, etc and she is safe, not being looked at etc the more trust and confidence she will have. And the more she will be able to "keep him in line" when they eventually are together.
Pretty sure it was a playful way. The play pen has mesh sides and a mesh top so he was just trying to climb the mesh but eventually just laid down. Sapphire was just sitting up on her cat tree.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure it was a playful way. The play pen has mesh sides and a mesh top so he was just trying to climb the mesh but eventually just laid down. Sapphire was just sitting up on her cat tree.
"Pretty sure it was a playful way." - Great

" The play pen has mesh sides and a mesh top so he was just trying to climb the mesh but eventually just laid down. " - Awwwwwwwww. IF there were issues he would not have given up.

"Sapphire was just sitting up on her cat tree." - Perfect

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Pretty sure it was a playful way." - Great

" The play pen has mesh sides and a mesh top so he was just trying to climb the mesh but eventually just laid down. " - Awwwwwwwww. IF there were issues he would not have given up.

"Sapphire was just sitting up on her cat tree." - Perfect
I have a quick question. What sort of leeway should I be considering giving them? I'm not exactly sure what is too much or too little.

Also, there are no major updates. I had Fluffy out with just his harness again last night while Sapphire laid on a chair watching him. He didn't seem to care about her and was chasing treats, exploring the other side of the house, etc, for about 8 minutes.

This morning, Sapphire didn't feel like coming downstairs (tired kitty). I brought Fluffy out to look out the window on his harness and then put him in the playpen while I got ready for work and when Sapphire did come downstairs to go on her cat tree. I came back downstairs and Sapphire was sitting about fifteen feet away behind a laundry basket just watching him so I'm guessing he tried to jump at her while she was walking by. I let Fluffy out and guided him to his room with treats and Sapphire just sat be the stairs looking like she was ready to run if he made a move.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a quick question. What sort of leeway should I be considering giving them? I'm not exactly sure what is too much or too little.

Also, there are no major updates. I had Fluffy out with just his harness again last night while Sapphire laid on a chair watching him. He didn't seem to care about her and was chasing treats, exploring the other side of the house, etc, for about 8 minutes.

This morning, Sapphire didn't feel like coming downstairs (tired kitty). I brought Fluffy out to look out the window on his harness and then put him in the playpen while I got ready for work and when Sapphire did come downstairs to go on her cat tree. I came back downstairs and Sapphire was sitting about fifteen feet away behind a laundry basket just watching him so I'm guessing he tried to jump at her while she was walking by. I let Fluffy out and guided him to his room with treats and Sapphire just sat be the stairs looking like she was ready to run if he made a move.
"I have a quick question. What sort of leeway should I be considering giving them? I'm not exactly sure what is too much or too little." - That is the "art" of it. You have to play it by ear. Watch their body language, sense them. And give them as much as possible to keep a positive encounter BUT not too much so it spills over to something negative. I WISH I had a great answer but it really depends. I could do it but explaining it is really tough. :/

"Also, there are no major updates. I had Fluffy out with just his harness again last night while Sapphire laid on a chair watching him. He didn't seem to care about her and was chasing treats, exploring the other side of the house, etc, for about 8 minutes." - FANTASTIC!!! SO no leash, just harness? Ok, so that leeway is totally great!!!

"This morning, Sapphire didn't feel like coming downstairs (tired kitty)." - OK, that is fine.

" I brought Fluffy out to look out the window on his harness and then put him in the playpen while I got ready for work" - Great

" and when Sapphire did come downstairs to go on her cat tree. I came back downstairs and Sapphire was sitting about fifteen feet away behind a laundry basket just watching him so I'm guessing he tried to jump at her while she was walking by." - Ok, that is fine. She needs to be tested and to learn to trust. To work it out (safely).

"I let Fluffy out and guided him to his room with treats and Sapphire just sat be the stairs looking like she was ready to run if he made a move. " - Ok, that is fine. We need to test her and hopefully have him behave. So she builds trust and that trust (and confidence) then makes him think about getting too wild.

Sounds like it went well. Great job!!

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I have a quick question. What sort of leeway should I be considering giving them? I'm not exactly sure what is too much or too little." - That is the "art" of it. You have to play it by ear. Watch their body language, sense them. And give them as much as possible to keep a positive encounter BUT not too much so it spills over to something negative. I WISH I had a great answer but it really depends. I could do it but explaining it is really tough. :/

"Also, there are no major updates. I had Fluffy out with just his harness again last night while Sapphire laid on a chair watching him. He didn't seem to care about her and was chasing treats, exploring the other side of the house, etc, for about 8 minutes." - FANTASTIC!!! SO no leash, just harness? Ok, so that leeway is totally great!!!

"This morning, Sapphire didn't feel like coming downstairs (tired kitty)." - OK, that is fine.

" I brought Fluffy out to look out the window on his harness and then put him in the playpen while I got ready for work" - Great

" and when Sapphire did come downstairs to go on her cat tree. I came back downstairs and Sapphire was sitting about fifteen feet away behind a laundry basket just watching him so I'm guessing he tried to jump at her while she was walking by." - Ok, that is fine. She needs to be tested and to learn to trust. To work it out (safely).

"I let Fluffy out and guided him to his room with treats and Sapphire just sat be the stairs looking like she was ready to run if he made a move. " - Ok, that is fine. We need to test her and hopefully have him behave. So she builds trust and that trust (and confidence) then makes him think about getting too wild.

Sounds like it went well. Great job!!
He definitely seems to be behaving so far when he doesn't have his leash on although I don't even give him the option of going to her. The only issues seem to arrive when she tries to teach him manners and that gets him excited.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He definitely seems to be behaving so far when he doesn't have his leash on although I don't even give him the option of going to her. The only issues seem to arrive when she tries to teach him manners and that gets him excited.
"He definitely seems to be behaving so far when he doesn't have his leash on" - Great. That is a wonderful step forward.

"although I don't even give him the option of going to her." - That is fine BUT I guarantee you IF he really wanted to "get" her he could. But he has no intention of that.

"The only issues seem to arrive when she tries to teach him manners and that gets him excited." - Yes, common. She needs to be a bit more forceful and then be confident to deter him. Also, the novelty needs to wear off to some degree. In time it will come.

I am not at all worried. I think they are VERY close.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing new to report. Had Fluffy out with no leash for about 5 to 10 minutes last night. He didn't try and go to Sapphire until she jumped down from her cat tree to the floor but I stopped him and threw him a treat the opposite way. It took him a little bit before he went to it but eventually he did :)

I also took a picture of them "hanging out" at the gate because I thought it was cute.

20210823_200928.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing new to report. Had Fluffy out with no leash for about 5 to 10 minutes last night. He didn't try and go to Sapphire until she jumped down from her cat tree to the floor but I stopped him and threw him a treat the opposite way. It took him a little bit before he went to it but eventually he did :)

I also took a picture of them "hanging out" at the gate because I thought it was cute.

View attachment 393016
OH MY GOODNESS are they ADORABLE or what?!?!?!?!?!?!

I LOVE the body language in the pic!!! :clap2:

z"Nothing new to report. Had Fluffy out with no leash for about 5 to 10 minutes last night." - PERFECT!!!!

" He didn't try and go to Sapphire" - GREAT!!!

"until she jumped down from her cat tree to the floor" - Natural, normal. The fact he was good before that tells me it is nothing to worry about.

"but I stopped him and threw him a treat the opposite way. It took him a little bit before he went to it but eventually he did :) " - :yess::hyper::clap2: EXACTLY what we want to see. He chose something "good" over her. EXCELLENT!!! Builds her trust and confidence!!

Well, this is fantastic!!! :clap2:

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late update!
Nothing new or exciting has happened. With the leash visits usually result in some hissing and growling from Sapphire as they get closer at which point I'll distract Fluffy away or to his play pen to avoid Sapphire swatting and getting him worked up. Off the leash visits are still going well. I'm able to get Fluffy to chase treats (not as much luck getting him to play), and after he gets the treat he walks back to try and go see Sapphire again.

I brought him from my bedroom downstairs tonight on his leash instead of starting in his room downstairs. Sapphire was laying up on the cushions about three feet away and he was really tugging to get closer to her and eventually I was able to guide him with a treat and show him where is food bowl was (at which point I took his leash off). Sapphire also jumped down for a treat while Fluffy was still leash-less so I'll take that as a sign of growing confidence (although I imagine she'd still run if he started getting close to her just from her posture).

No problems at the gates at all. No hissing or growling or swatting. More and more Sapphire just comes and sits or lays by his gate and they both just lay there. When she first comes over Fluffy gets into a playful, low to the ground, ready to pounce position, but he will just lay there once she's there.

I feel like I've been intentionally or sub consciously holding back and not allowing them to get closer during leash introductions out of fear that they will get into a fight and I myself have also been extremely tired lately.

Furmama22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing new or exciting has happened. With the leash visits usually result in some hissing and growling from Sapphire as they get closer at which point I'll distract Fluffy away or to his play pen to avoid Sapphire swatting and getting him worked up. Off the leash visits are still going well. I'm able to get Fluffy to chase treats (not as much luck getting him to play), and after he gets the treat he walks back to try and go see Sapphire again.

I brought him from my bedroom downstairs tonight on his leash instead of starting in his room downstairs. Sapphire was laying up on the cushions about three feet away and he was really tugging to get closer to her and eventually I was able to guide him with a treat and show him where is food bowl was (at which point I took his leash off). Sapphire also jumped down for a treat while Fluffy was still leash-less so I'll take that as a sign of growing confidence (although I imagine she'd still run if he started getting close to her just from her posture).

No problems at the gates at all. No hissing or growling or swatting. More and more Sapphire just comes and sits or lays by his gate and they both just lay there. When she first comes over Fluffy gets into a playful, low to the ground, ready to pounce position, but he will just lay there once she's there.

I feel like I've been intentionally or sub consciously holding back and not allowing them to get closer during leash introductions out of fear that they will get into a fight and I myself have also been extremely tired lately.
Sounds like you are continuing to do an awesome job! Just wanted to give you some encouragement. Also if you're tired, I think it's ok to take a break and just hold steady for a bit. :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

"Sorry for the late update!" - No need to apologize. Anytime is great.

"Nothing new or exciting has happened." - Great

" With the leash visits usually result in some hissing and growling from Sapphire as they get closer" - Totally normal as she is telling him not to try anything. IF he respects it it is great.

" at which point I'll distract Fluffy away or to his play pen to avoid Sapphire swatting and getting him worked up." - Perfect!!

" Off the leash visits are still going well." - Great

" I'm able to get Fluffy to chase treats (not as much luck getting him to play), and after he gets the treat he walks back to try and go see Sapphire again." - Perfect. How does Sapphire act when he goes to see her?

"I brought him from my bedroom downstairs tonight on his leash instead of starting in his room downstairs." - Ok

" Sapphire was laying up on the cushions about three feet away and he was really tugging to get closer to her" - How was she doing?

" and eventually I was able to guide him with a treat and show him where is food bowl was (at which point I took his leash off)." - Perfect!!

" Sapphire also jumped down for a treat while Fluffy was still leash-less so I'll take that as a sign of growing confidence " - AMAZING!! A HUGE sign of increased confidence. Exactly what we want to see. AND if he behaves even better.

"(although I imagine she'd still run if he started getting close to her just from her posture)." - Maybe, maybe not.

"No problems at the gates at all." - Great

" No hissing or growling or swatting." - Great

" More and more Sapphire just comes and sits or lays by his gate and they both just lay there." - Perfect. Positive encounter.

"When she first comes over Fluffy gets into a playful, low to the ground, ready to pounce position, " - Yes, he wants to play so badly. :/

"but he will just lay there once she's there." - Perfect.

"I feel like I've been intentionally or sub consciously holding back and not allowing them to get closer during leash introductions out of fear that they will get into a fight" - Yes. MOST people are that way. It is normal. I actually say that at this point I have to try to get the confidence of the humans up t where the cats are. So common. We'll get there.

The art is to find that sweet spot of giving them enough leeway but not too much. It really is a challenge for the best of us. BUT we will get there. I DO THINK they are very close to be allowed more leeway but not yet. Just keep doing what you are doing.

" and I myself have also been extremely tired lately. " - :/ Yes, it is a long, hard journey BUT you are almost there.

Try not to stress too much at this point. Just try to enjoy the major progress you have and think positively and enjoy the positives and not worry too much about negatives that may or may not happen. Of course, be prepared but try to find that balance. So if they are doing well just try to enjoy it then when the tension increases then try to calmly and confidently redirect. Sapphire needs to do her part (and she is to some degree) as well so it really is a team effort AND I see no indication he has any intention of hurting her (intentionally). Of course, it could escalate and fear might cause some issues but it seems highly unlikely at this point. He seems to really love her and she is coming around. Fairly soon I think we can give them more leeway but in the meantime just keep up the great work and enjoy all the progress made to date. :)

GREAT JOB!!! :clap2: