Help/Advice for introductions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are continuing to do an awesome job! Just wanted to give you some encouragement. Also if you're tired, I think it's ok to take a break and just hold steady for a bit. :)
Thank you :) you too! Things seem to be going pretty good! Keep it up!

"Sorry for the late update!" - No need to apologize. Anytime is great.

"Nothing new or exciting has happened." - Great

" With the leash visits usually result in some hissing and growling from Sapphire as they get closer" - Totally normal as she is telling him not to try anything. IF he respects it it is great.

" at which point I'll distract Fluffy away or to his play pen to avoid Sapphire swatting and getting him worked up." - Perfect!!

" Off the leash visits are still going well." - Great

" I'm able to get Fluffy to chase treats (not as much luck getting him to play), and after he gets the treat he walks back to try and go see Sapphire again." - Perfect. How does Sapphire act when he goes to see her?

"I brought him from my bedroom downstairs tonight on his leash instead of starting in his room downstairs." - Ok

" Sapphire was laying up on the cushions about three feet away and he was really tugging to get closer to her" - How was she doing?

" and eventually I was able to guide him with a treat and show him where is food bowl was (at which point I took his leash off)." - Perfect!!

" Sapphire also jumped down for a treat while Fluffy was still leash-less so I'll take that as a sign of growing confidence " - AMAZING!! A HUGE sign of increased confidence. Exactly what we want to see. AND if he behaves even better.

"(although I imagine she'd still run if he started getting close to her just from her posture)." - Maybe, maybe not.

"No problems at the gates at all." - Great

" No hissing or growling or swatting." - Great

" More and more Sapphire just comes and sits or lays by his gate and they both just lay there." - Perfect. Positive encounter.

"When she first comes over Fluffy gets into a playful, low to the ground, ready to pounce position, " - Yes, he wants to play so badly. :/

"but he will just lay there once she's there." - Perfect.

"I feel like I've been intentionally or sub consciously holding back and not allowing them to get closer during leash introductions out of fear that they will get into a fight" - Yes. MOST people are that way. It is normal. I actually say that at this point I have to try to get the confidence of the humans up t where the cats are. So common. We'll get there.

The art is to find that sweet spot of giving them enough leeway but not too much. It really is a challenge for the best of us. BUT we will get there. I DO THINK they are very close to be allowed more leeway but not yet. Just keep doing what you are doing.

" and I myself have also been extremely tired lately. " - :/ Yes, it is a long, hard journey BUT you are almost there.

Try not to stress too much at this point. Just try to enjoy the major progress you have and think positively and enjoy the positives and not worry too much about negatives that may or may not happen. Of course, be prepared but try to find that balance. So if they are doing well just try to enjoy it then when the tension increases then try to calmly and confidently redirect. Sapphire needs to do her part (and she is to some degree) as well so it really is a team effort AND I see no indication he has any intention of hurting her (intentionally). Of course, it could escalate and fear might cause some issues but it seems highly unlikely at this point. He seems to really love her and she is coming around. Fairly soon I think we can give them more leeway but in the meantime just keep up the great work and enjoy all the progress made to date. :)

GREAT JOB!!! :clap2:
Sapphire will usually lay calm and growl if he starts to get too close to her. When he's off the leash I try not to let him get passed the five foot mark or so to prevent him from making sudden moves. Sometimes she will get into a position where she is ready to run if needed though.

She was a bit on the grouchy side this morning. She wouldn't come down from her tree for a treat and just growled at Fluffy while he was leashed on the ground. He was trying to maneuver himself so he could try and jump up on her cat tree as well.

After I put him in the play pen, Sapphire came down and he took a run towards her (obviously he couldn't because he was in the play pen). She jumped up on the coffee table to watch him from there. Eventually she did jump down and Fluffy tried to take another run/jump at her and they ended up fighting or at least trying to paw and jump at eachother but the mesh kept them seperate. After a few seconds of that, Sapphire bolted upstairs and of course Fluffy tried to chase her but couldn't. I just let them be and continued to get ready for work. Sapphire just ate some food then went for a nap but didn't come back downstairs.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) you too! Things seem to be going pretty good! Keep it up!

Sapphire will usually lay calm and growl if he starts to get too close to her. When he's off the leash I try not to let him get passed the five foot mark or so to prevent him from making sudden moves. Sometimes she will get into a position where she is ready to run if needed though.

She was a bit on the grouchy side this morning. She wouldn't come down from her tree for a treat and just growled at Fluffy while he was leashed on the ground. He was trying to maneuver himself so he could try and jump up on her cat tree as well.

After I put him in the play pen, Sapphire came down and he took a run towards her (obviously he couldn't because he was in the play pen). She jumped up on the coffee table to watch him from there. Eventually she did jump down and Fluffy tried to take another run/jump at her and they ended up fighting or at least trying to paw and jump at eachother but the mesh kept them seperate. After a few seconds of that, Sapphire bolted upstairs and of course Fluffy tried to chase her but couldn't. I just let them be and continued to get ready for work. Sapphire just ate some food then went for a nap but didn't come back downstairs.
"Sapphire will usually lay calm and growl if he starts to get too close to her." - That is fine. Just reassure both of them and try to distract him with words, food,, a toy, etc.

" When he's off the leash I try not to let him get passed the five foot mark or so to prevent him from making sudden moves. " - Great

"Sometimes she will get into a position where she is ready to run if needed though." - Yes, we want to see progress with that in her. So hopefully she will hold her ground longer and longer.

"She was a bit on the grouchy side this morning. She wouldn't come down from her tree for a treat and just growled at Fluffy while he was leashed on the ground. He was trying to maneuver himself so he could try and jump up on her cat tree as well." - Ok, it happens. As long as nothing negative really happens it is fine. They need to be tested and then pass with nothing negative actually happening.

"After I put him in the play pen, Sapphire came down" - Great

" and he took a run towards her (obviously he couldn't because he was in the play pen)." - Ok

" She jumped up on the coffee table to watch him from there." - Great, I like that she stayed fairly close.

"Eventually she did jump down and Fluffy tried to take another run/jump at her and they ended up fighting or at least trying to paw and jump at eachother but the mesh kept them seperate." - Ok, good. She kinda held her own instead of retreating.

" After a few seconds of that, Sapphire bolted upstairs" - Ok. :/ Well, it is good he couldn;t go after her so nothing negative happened which will help her gain more confidence.

" and of course Fluffy tried to chase her but couldn't." - Yes, great

" I just let them be and continued to get ready for work." - Sounds good. The more we act like nothing is wrong the more likely they will believe it and feel it.

" Sapphire just ate some food then went for a nap but didn't come back downstairs. " - Totally fine. Let's see how she does the rest of the day.

But I would call this fine, no issure. Nothing negative really happened which is a positive.

This is why I am not there yet on getting them closer/more leeway. BUT they are sooooooo close.

Keep up the great work.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Sapphire will usually lay calm and growl if he starts to get too close to her." - That is fine. Just reassure both of them and try to distract him with words, food,, a toy, etc.

" When he's off the leash I try not to let him get passed the five foot mark or so to prevent him from making sudden moves. " - Great

"Sometimes she will get into a position where she is ready to run if needed though." - Yes, we want to see progress with that in her. So hopefully she will hold her ground longer and longer.

"She was a bit on the grouchy side this morning. She wouldn't come down from her tree for a treat and just growled at Fluffy while he was leashed on the ground. He was trying to maneuver himself so he could try and jump up on her cat tree as well." - Ok, it happens. As long as nothing negative really happens it is fine. They need to be tested and then pass with nothing negative actually happening.

"After I put him in the play pen, Sapphire came down" - Great

" and he took a run towards her (obviously he couldn't because he was in the play pen)." - Ok

" She jumped up on the coffee table to watch him from there." - Great, I like that she stayed fairly close.

"Eventually she did jump down and Fluffy tried to take another run/jump at her and they ended up fighting or at least trying to paw and jump at eachother but the mesh kept them seperate." - Ok, good. She kinda held her own instead of retreating.

" After a few seconds of that, Sapphire bolted upstairs" - Ok. :/ Well, it is good he couldn;t go after her so nothing negative happened which will help her gain more confidence.

" and of course Fluffy tried to chase her but couldn't." - Yes, great

" I just let them be and continued to get ready for work." - Sounds good. The more we act like nothing is wrong the more likely they will believe it and feel it.

" Sapphire just ate some food then went for a nap but didn't come back downstairs. " - Totally fine. Let's see how she does the rest of the day.

But I would call this fine, no issure. Nothing negative really happened which is a positive.

This is why I am not there yet on getting them closer/more leeway. BUT they are sooooooo close.

Keep up the great work.
I will see how she is tonight when I'm home from work. She does seem to get scared easier lately and automatically goes to running away instead of holding her ground. I have also noticed that Fluffy gets more excited when she tries to hold her ground compared to a few weeks ago when she would hit him and he would back off right away. I'm not really sure what changed. I'll continue to put him in the playpen, and at the very least if these little fights are happening, they are both protected and they can start to work things out safely.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will see how she is tonight when I'm home from work. She does seem to get scared easier lately and automatically goes to running away instead of holding her ground. I have also noticed that Fluffy gets more excited when she tries to hold her ground compared to a few weeks ago when she would hit him and he would back off right away. I'm not really sure what changed. I'll continue to put him in the playpen, and at the very least if these little fights are happening, they are both protected and they can start to work things out safely.
"I will see how she is tonight when I'm home from work." - Sounds good. Everything to this point suggests she should be fine.

" She does seem to get scared easier lately and automatically goes to running away instead of holding her ground." - Ok

" I have also noticed that Fluffy gets more excited when she tries to hold her ground compared to a few weeks ago when she would hit him and he would back off right away." - Ok, that it is why she is more skittish lately (relatively). So he is sensing her actions are not threatening/serious so he feels like she is "allowing" him to keep at it. Of course, she can't figure out why he isn't listening so panics a touch (at times). Happens all the time. It is just part of the process of learning each other and figuring out each other. I am not bothered by that at all.

" I'm not really sure what changed." - I think the above answers that.

" I'll continue to put him in the playpen, and at the very least if these little fights are happening, they are both protected and they can start to work things out safely." - Yes and just reassure and distract them. If you get them to pause, look away it is a nice confidence booster.

He has no ill intent in my eyes, she doesn't trust him fully yet. But she will. :) I have no doubt about it.

Just try to have a good evening and not worry too much. They are doing great and they will be intro'd successfully (and I suspect pretty soon). There is nothing I am reading that suggests any real issues. They are going to be just fine. :)

Last edited:

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I will see how she is tonight when I'm home from work." - Sounds good. Everything to this point suggests she should be fine.

" She does seem to get scared easier lately and automatically goes to running away instead of holding her ground." - Ok

" I have also noticed that Fluffy gets more excited when she tries to hold her ground compared to a few weeks ago when she would hit him and he would back off right away." - Ok, that it is why she is more skittish lately (relatively). So he is sensing her actions are not threatening/serious so he feels like she is "allowing" him to keep at it. Of course, she can't figure out why he isn't listening so panics a touch (at times). Happens all the time. It is just part of the process of learning each other and figuring out each other. I am not bothered by that at all.

" I'm not really sure what changed." - I think the above answers that.

" I'll continue to put him in the playpen, and at the very least if these little fights are happening, they are both protected and they can start to work things out safely." - Yes and just reassure and distract them. If you get them to pause, look away it is a nice confidence booster.

He has no ill intent in my eyes, she doesn't trust him fully yet. But she will. :) I have no doubt about it.

Just try to have a good evening and not worry too much. They are doing great and they will be intro'd successfully (and I suspect pretty soon). There is nothing I am reading that suggests any real issues. They are going to be just fine. :)
That answers my question and makes total sense thank you :)

A part of me also thinks that Fluffy may have been a bit younger than 2 when I adopted him. I just noticed the other day that he has actually grown quite a bit in the last six months. I've also realized that he was probably living as a stray on the street his whole life up until that point and may not have learned proper play behavior.

Also, do you think the fact that he was neutered at an older age may be affecting him at all?

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a video I took of them tonight. It's a bit awkward as it's no super easy to take a video, watch both cats, and have treats ready

Sapphire seems a bit scared still. I gave them gate treats when I got home upstairs at my bedroom, but I struggled to get Sapphire to come to the gate downstairs. Upstairs, she also laid in her room watching instead of coming and sitting at the gate like she has been lately.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a video I took of them tonight. It's a bit awkward as it's no super easy to take a video, watch both cats, and have treats ready

Sapphire seems a bit scared still. I gave them gate treats when I got home upstairs at my bedroom, but I struggled to get Sapphire to come to the gate downstairs. Upstairs, she also laid in her room watching instead of coming and sitting at the gate like she has been lately.

"That answers my question and makes total sense thank you :)" - Great, you are welcome.

"A part of me also thinks that Fluffy may have been a bit younger than 2 when I adopted him. I just noticed the other day that he has actually grown quite a bit in the last six months." - Interesting. Not sure BUT I do think he is acting like a normal cat that age(ish). I have 9 year olds that act like kittens. Sometimes it is just in them for a long time.

"I've also realized that he was probably living as a stray on the street his whole life up until that point and " - Hmmmmmm, I don't get that sense at all. He doesn't really have any feral characteristics. I take in older ferals and work with ferals of all ages He may have been being taken care of from a young age by a human on the streets but in that case he probably had some socialization with other kittens/cats. Now he may have been fostered at a very young age. BUT I see him as a really normal cat, excited about a playmate and really don't see any "odd" or concerning behavior. He is a sweet incredibly playful, social cat from what I see.

"may not have learned proper play behavior." - Well, he did do well with other cats where you got him from, right?

"Also, do you think the fact that he was neutered at an older age may be affecting him at all?" - I don't think so.

Actually, they seem great, acting normal, it is taking a bit longer than I would have thought but sometimes it does. We will get there. I really don't see any issues that are abnormal. They both are acting like normal cats.

"Here is a video I took of them tonight. It's a bit awkward as it's no super easy to take a video, watch both cats, and have treats ready" - Yes, let's take a look. It is very hard, I know. :/

"Sapphire seems a bit scared still." - Ok

" I gave them gate treats when I got home upstairs at my bedroom, but I struggled to get Sapphire to come to the gate downstairs." - Ok.

" Upstairs, she also laid in her room watching instead of coming and sitting at the gate like she has been lately. " - Ok. Was she acting really different or was that it?

Video - Great job distracting her as she is on the tree. Fluffy walks in and looks good, then goes for his treat. So far it is excellent. Then Sapphire is looking out of the window????? :yess: :clap2: Looking away is fantastic!!! Then Fluffy goes for another treat. He has no intention to go after her. He looks great. She was doing great and actually looked way from him. Overall it looks like 2 cats that are successfully intro'd. NOW I KNOW that this is not the whole picture but I am not seeing anything (in this moment) to suggest any issues that would impede the process. My point is, if they weren't doing great this would not be happening.

I would love to try to get him to play there. So, make the toy act like prey. Like a rabbit or a mouse or a bird. Think of how those would move when a cat is near and afraid they are going to "get" you. If we can get him playing, then feed him, and see can watch it would be great.

Also, enjoy these moments. Try not to anticipate issues but try to bask in the glory of a positive encounter. Cats take on our energy/emotions so the more calm and confident we are the more they tend to be. I watch the video and am beaming at how great they are doing. Hopefully you were feeling happiness and pride as well.

Keep up the great work!!!

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"That answers my question and makes total sense thank you :)" - Great, you are welcome.

"A part of me also thinks that Fluffy may have been a bit younger than 2 when I adopted him. I just noticed the other day that he has actually grown quite a bit in the last six months." - Interesting. Not sure BUT I do think he is acting like a normal cat that age(ish). I have 9 year olds that act like kittens. Sometimes it is just in them for a long time.

"I've also realized that he was probably living as a stray on the street his whole life up until that point and " - Hmmmmmm, I don't get that sense at all. He doesn't really have any feral characteristics. I take in older ferals and work with ferals of all ages He may have been being taken care of from a young age by a human on the streets but in that case he probably had some socialization with other kittens/cats. Now he may have been fostered at a very young age. BUT I see him as a really normal cat, excited about a playmate and really don't see any "odd" or concerning behavior. He is a sweet incredibly playful, social cat from what I see.

"may not have learned proper play behavior." - Well, he did do well with other cats where you got him from, right?

"Also, do you think the fact that he was neutered at an older age may be affecting him at all?" - I don't think so.

Actually, they seem great, acting normal, it is taking a bit longer than I would have thought but sometimes it does. We will get there. I really don't see any issues that are abnormal. They both are acting like normal cats.

"Here is a video I took of them tonight. It's a bit awkward as it's no super easy to take a video, watch both cats, and have treats ready" - Yes, let's take a look. It is very hard, I know. :/

"Sapphire seems a bit scared still." - Ok

" I gave them gate treats when I got home upstairs at my bedroom, but I struggled to get Sapphire to come to the gate downstairs." - Ok.

" Upstairs, she also laid in her room watching instead of coming and sitting at the gate like she has been lately. " - Ok. Was she acting really different or was that it?

Video - Great job distracting her as she is on the tree. Fluffy walks in and looks good, then goes for his treat. So far it is excellent. Then Sapphire is looking out of the window????? :yess: :clap2: Looking away is fantastic!!! Then Fluffy goes for another treat. He has no intention to go after her. He looks great. She was doing great and actually looked way from him. Overall it looks like 2 cats that are successfully intro'd. NOW I KNOW that this is not the whole picture but I am not seeing anything (in this moment) to suggest any issues that would impede the process. My point is, if they weren't doing great this would not be happening.

I would love to try to get him to play there. So, make the toy act like prey. Like a rabbit or a mouse or a bird. Think of how those would move when a cat is near and afraid they are going to "get" you. If we can get him playing, then feed him, and see can watch it would be great.

Also, enjoy these moments. Try not to anticipate issues but try to bask in the glory of a positive encounter. Cats take on our energy/emotions so the more calm and confident we are the more they tend to be. I watch the video and am beaming at how great they are doing. Hopefully you were feeling happiness and pride as well.

Keep up the great work!!!
Thank you :)

To answer your questions...
He was with other cats at the humane society. I know that there were zero issues. He was also very timid at the time. It took about ten minutes before he would even come out of his house to greet us. He's definitely opened up since then.

Also, I don't really think I saw anything else unusual with Sapphire. She has just been very skittish/tired since the play pen fight, especially around Fluffy. Last night she did seem fine after he was put to bed for the night so I think there is just a bit of fear there still at times. On a positive note, I did give them treats fairly close to eachother this morning with no issues. I made sure to try and calm/distract Fluffy if I noticed his tail start to thrash. When I put Fluffy into the play pen, sapphire went upstairs to nap.

I am thinking that the change in seasons could be effecting her a bit. It's now still dark outside when I get up in the morning and she is usually asleep now when I wake up so it could be that she just hasn't fully adjusted yet. She usually wakes up around 4 am for a snack and some pets and cuddles thens goes back to sleep.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)

He was with other cats at the humane society. I know that there were zero issues. He was also very timid at the time. It took about ten minutes before he would even come out of his house to greet us. He's definitely opened up since then.

Also, I don't really think I saw anything else unusual with Sapphire. She has just been very skittish/tired since the play pen fight, especially around Fluffy. Last night she did seem fine after he was put to bed for the night so I think there is just a bit of fear there still at times. On a positive note, I did give them treats fairly close to eachother this morning with no issues. I made sure to try and calm/distract Fluffy if I noticed his tail start to thrash. When I put Fluffy into the play pen, sapphire went upstairs to nap.

I am thinking that the change in seasons could be effecting her a bit. It's now still dark outside when I get up in the morning and she is usually asleep now when I wake up so it could be that she just hasn't fully adjusted yet. She usually wakes up around 4 am for a snack and some pets and cuddles thens goes back to sleep.
"He was with other cats at the humane society. I know that there were zero issues." - Yes and great.

" He was also very timid at the time. " - Interesting but not surprising.

"It took about ten minutes before he would even come out of his house to greet us." - Yes, that happens in shelters. Sadly cats like that tend not to get adopted so'd!!! THANKS to you for saving him!!!! :clap2: :rock:

"He's definitely opened up since then." - Yes. He is LOVING his new home and life!!!

"Also, I don't really think I saw anything else unusual with Sapphire." - Great

" She has just been very skittish/tired since the play pen fight, especially around Fluffy." - Ok

" Last night she did seem fine after he was put to bed for the night so I think there is just a bit of fear there still at times." - Ok, great that she rebounded quickly.

The playpen is something I struggle with. He does well with it BUT it could cause him to "fight" as flee is not an option and he could feel vulnerable. BUT I am not sure he really fears her so..................................

"On a positive note, I did give them treats fairly close to eachother this morning with no issues." - :yess::hyper::clap2: Yep, they are just fine. :)

"I made sure to try and calm/distract Fluffy if I noticed his tail start to thrash." - Great job!!

" When I put Fluffy into the play pen, sapphire went upstairs to nap." - Perfect.

"I am thinking that the change in seasons could be effecting her a bit. It's now still dark outside when I get up in the morning and she is usually asleep now when I wake up so it could be that she just hasn't fully adjusted yet. She usually wakes up around 4 am for a snack and some pets and cuddles thens goes back to sleep." - Very well could be. But she is going to be fine. I am not seeing any issues really with her.

They will be successfully intro'd. :)

Keep up the great work.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I apologize for the lack of updates as there really hasn't been any.

I took a slight break from intros, not entirely by choice however. Friday night and yesterday morning, Sapphire would not leave her room during the normal introduction time. She was either napping or just resting so I didn't want to push it.

Yesterday I heard some commotion at that gate upstairs so I'm assuming they were interacting in one way or another.

Last night things went normal. Fluffy was brought out without his leash on and he ate food on the ground and Sapphire ate up on her cat tree. After chasing a treat Fluffy just turns around and starts to walk to the cat tree (he specifically starts to walk towards a location where he can jump up to it). I distracted for a bit before he went to bed.

Nothing this morning yet. Sapphire has remained upstairs again. She came downstairs briefly, but oddly the sound of me touching the baby gate sent her back upstairs even though she was sitting a few feet away watching Fluffy. She has been acting slightly strange this weekend and I'm not quite sure why.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I took a slight break from intros, not entirely by choice however. Friday night and yesterday morning, Sapphire would not leave her room during the normal introduction time. She was either napping or just resting so I didn't want to push it.

Yesterday I heard some commotion at that gate upstairs so I'm assuming they were interacting in one way or another.

Last night things went normal. Fluffy was brought out without his leash on and he ate food on the ground and Sapphire ate up on her cat tree. After chasing a treat Fluffy just turns around and starts to walk to the cat tree (he specifically starts to walk towards a location where he can jump up to it). I distracted for a bit before he went to bed.

Nothing this morning yet. Sapphire has remained upstairs again. She came downstairs briefly, but oddly the sound of me touching the baby gate sent her back upstairs even though she was sitting a few feet away watching Fluffy. She has been acting slightly strange this weekend and I'm not quite sure why.

Edit. I'm not sure why this posted twice..

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Edit. I'm not sure why this posted twice..
"I apologize for the lack of updates as there really hasn't been any." - No apology needed.

"I took a slight break from intros, not entirely by choice however." - Ok

" Friday night and yesterday morning, Sapphire would not leave her room during the normal introduction time. She was either napping or just resting so I didn't want to push it." - Ok, Exactly the right thing to do. Was she acting normal otherwise?

"Yesterday I heard some commotion at that gate upstairs so I'm assuming they were interacting in one way or another." - Ok. What kind of commotion?

"Last night things went normal. Fluffy was brought out without his leash on and he ate food on the ground and Sapphire ate up on her cat tree." - Well, THAT is GREAT!!! The above then sounds like nothing to worry about.

" After chasing a treat Fluffy just turns around and starts to walk to the cat tree (he specifically starts to walk towards a location where he can jump up to it). I distracted for a bit before he went to bed." - Great. how was she when he walked over?

"Nothing this morning yet. Sapphire has remained upstairs again." - Hmmmmmmm, ok. Is it possible she is kinda bored with the intro stuff?

"She came downstairs briefly, but oddly the sound of me touching the baby gate sent her back upstairs" - Hmmmmm, ok.

" even though she was sitting a few feet away watching Fluffy. " - So she was sitting a few feet from Fluffy (upstairs or downstairs?) and then you moved the gate and she ran upstairs? Was the gate between them? Or near her? I guess that means she was downstairs sitting a few feet from Fluffy. What did he do, what was his reaction? When she got back upstairs how was she acting?

"She has been acting slightly strange this weekend and I'm not quite sure why." - Sure isn't anything obvious. :/ Are you having storms, or workers outside, loud neighbors, people over, anything?

"Edit. I'm not sure why this posted twice.. " - Hahaha, who knows. Not an issue.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I apologize for the lack of updates as there really hasn't been any." - No apology needed.

"I took a slight break from intros, not entirely by choice however." - Ok

" Friday night and yesterday morning, Sapphire would not leave her room during the normal introduction time. She was either napping or just resting so I didn't want to push it." - Ok, Exactly the right thing to do. Was she acting normal otherwise?

"Yesterday I heard some commotion at that gate upstairs so I'm assuming they were interacting in one way or another." - Ok. What kind of commotion?

"Last night things went normal. Fluffy was brought out without his leash on and he ate food on the ground and Sapphire ate up on her cat tree." - Well, THAT is GREAT!!! The above then sounds like nothing to worry about.

" After chasing a treat Fluffy just turns around and starts to walk to the cat tree (he specifically starts to walk towards a location where he can jump up to it). I distracted for a bit before he went to bed." - Great. how was she when he walked over?

"Nothing this morning yet. Sapphire has remained upstairs again." - Hmmmmmmm, ok. Is it possible she is kinda bored with the intro stuff?

"She came downstairs briefly, but oddly the sound of me touching the baby gate sent her back upstairs" - Hmmmmm, ok.

" even though she was sitting a few feet away watching Fluffy. " - So she was sitting a few feet from Fluffy (upstairs or downstairs?) and then you moved the gate and she ran upstairs? Was the gate between them? Or near her? I guess that means she was downstairs sitting a few feet from Fluffy. What did he do, what was his reaction? When she got back upstairs how was she acting?

"She has been acting slightly strange this weekend and I'm not quite sure why." - Sure isn't anything obvious. :/ Are you having storms, or workers outside, loud neighbors, people over, anything?

"Edit. I'm not sure why this posted twice.. " - Hahaha, who knows. Not an issue.
It's hard to explain how she's been acting. It's not exactly skittish, not exactly tired either. She seems a bit of both, but then awhile later she will be super playful or laying down and then start rolling around like crazy. Other than the weather getting colder and not a lot of sun, nothing has really changed. She seemed her normal self when he started to get closer last night. Very alert and watching him closely, but I didn't let him get close enough to even try and jump up.

The commotion was just the gates rattling. I'm guessing that they were paws-ing at eachother but I didn't hear anything besides the gates and when I went to check, Fluffy was laying down at the gate and Sapphire was just sitting the doorway to her room.

As for this morning, the baby gates were between them. She'll usually sit about four feet away and just watch Fluffy, wag her tail a bit and watch me as well. She did this a second time when I went to let Fluffy out to bring him upstairs. She ran over before I even opened the door and just sat there watching him. I did end up bringing Fluffy out on his harness and leash as I wanted to test whether I could get him to walk passed her on her cat tree and go upstairs which he did. She sat up on her the cat tree just watching him go up the stairs following the trail of kibble.

Interestingly, my partner brought Fluffy into Sapphires room before my room and closed the door to let him explore a bit. She came upstairs and he was on the other side of the door and she was jumping up on the door to try and get in (she did give a few small hisses but nothing major).

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to explain how she's been acting. It's not exactly skittish, not exactly tired either. She seems a bit of both, but then awhile later she will be super playful or laying down and then start rolling around like crazy. Other than the weather getting colder and not a lot of sun, nothing has really changed. She seemed her normal self when he started to get closer last night. Very alert and watching him closely, but I didn't let him get close enough to even try and jump up.

The commotion was just the gates rattling. I'm guessing that they were paws-ing at eachother but I didn't hear anything besides the gates and when I went to check, Fluffy was laying down at the gate and Sapphire was just sitting the doorway to her room.

As for this morning, the baby gates were between them. She'll usually sit about four feet away and just watch Fluffy, wag her tail a bit and watch me as well. She did this a second time when I went to let Fluffy out to bring him upstairs. She ran over before I even opened the door and just sat there watching him. I did end up bringing Fluffy out on his harness and leash as I wanted to test whether I could get him to walk passed her on her cat tree and go upstairs which he did. She sat up on her the cat tree just watching him go up the stairs following the trail of kibble.

Interestingly, my partner brought Fluffy into Sapphires room before my room and closed the door to let him explore a bit. She came upstairs and he was on the other side of the door and she was jumping up on the door to try and get in (she did give a few small hisses but nothing major).
"It's hard to explain how she's been acting. It's not exactly skittish, not exactly tired either." - Ok.

"She seems a bit of both, but then awhile later she will be super playful or laying down and then start rolling around like crazy." - Ok, good. Maybe tired?

"Other than the weather getting colder and not a lot of sun, nothing has really changed." - Well, that will do it.

" She seemed her normal self when he started to get closer last night. Very alert and watching him closely, but I didn't let him get close enough to even try and jump up." - Well that sounds good. She wasn't running away, hiding, etc. Did she seem fairly confident?

"The commotion was just the gates rattling. I'm guessing that they were paws-ing at eachother" - Ok.

" but I didn't hear anything besides the gates and when I went to check, Fluffy was laying down at the gate and Sapphire was just sitting the doorway to her room." - OK, that tells us everything. To them the commotion wasn't anything.

"As for this morning, the baby gates were between them." - Ok

" She'll usually sit about four feet away and just watch Fluffy, wag her tail a bit and watch me as well." - Ok

" She did this a second time when I went to let Fluffy out to bring him upstairs." - Ok. Ho is the set up exactly? I didn't realize there were baby gates used downstairs.

"She ran over before I even opened the door and just sat there watching him." - Ok, that is good

" I did end up bringing Fluffy out on his harness and leash as I wanted to test whether I could get him to walk passed her on her cat tree and go upstairs which he did. " - Great

"She sat up on her the cat tree just watching him go up the stairs following the trail of kibble." - Great

"Interestingly, my partner brought Fluffy into Sapphires room before my room and closed the door to let him explore a bit. She came upstairs and he was on the other side of the door and she was jumping up on the door to try and get in (she did give a few small hisses but nothing major). " - Ok. Site swapping could be good. So if he is in her room let her go in his room.

How did she act when she got back into her room? And how did he do after?

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"It's hard to explain how she's been acting. It's not exactly skittish, not exactly tired either." - Ok.

"She seems a bit of both, but then awhile later she will be super playful or laying down and then start rolling around like crazy." - Ok, good. Maybe tired?

"Other than the weather getting colder and not a lot of sun, nothing has really changed." - Well, that will do it.

" She seemed her normal self when he started to get closer last night. Very alert and watching him closely, but I didn't let him get close enough to even try and jump up." - Well that sounds good. She wasn't running away, hiding, etc. Did she seem fairly confident?

"The commotion was just the gates rattling. I'm guessing that they were paws-ing at eachother" - Ok.

" but I didn't hear anything besides the gates and when I went to check, Fluffy was laying down at the gate and Sapphire was just sitting the doorway to her room." - OK, that tells us everything. To them the commotion wasn't anything.

"As for this morning, the baby gates were between them." - Ok

" She'll usually sit about four feet away and just watch Fluffy, wag her tail a bit and watch me as well." - Ok

" She did this a second time when I went to let Fluffy out to bring him upstairs." - Ok. Ho is the set up exactly? I didn't realize there were baby gates used downstairs.

"She ran over before I even opened the door and just sat there watching him." - Ok, that is good

" I did end up bringing Fluffy out on his harness and leash as I wanted to test whether I could get him to walk passed her on her cat tree and go upstairs which he did. " - Great

"She sat up on her the cat tree just watching him go up the stairs following the trail of kibble." - Great

"Interestingly, my partner brought Fluffy into Sapphires room before my room and closed the door to let him explore a bit. She came upstairs and he was on the other side of the door and she was jumping up on the door to try and get in (she did give a few small hisses but nothing major). " - Ok. Site swapping could be good. So if he is in her room let her go in his room.

How did she act when she got back into her room? And how did he do after?
They were both perfectly fine afterwards. No issues.

As for downstairs, there is a small hallway off of the main run and Fluffy's room is there. I set up two baby gates at the entrance to the hallway when I'm in the room with him :)

As for his room, it's always open when he is upstairs and she never goes in. It was also never a room where she went that often to begin with.

She hasn't been seeming anymore confident than usual. She seems less afraid ie. Not running and hiding, but she still seems very cautious.

Both of the cats are pretty tired today. Fluffy is asleep upstairs and Sapphire is asleep on her cat tree. Usually she sleeps upstairs in the afternoon under my clothes rack and then I can let Fluffy out but today she just wants to stay down here.

Edit: I spoke too soon. She just went to nap in Fluffy's room. I put her litter box in there and gave her some food and I'll let her nap in there for awhile while Fluffy comes out.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They were both perfectly fine afterwards. No issues.

As for downstairs, there is a small hallway off of the main run and Fluffy's room is there. I set up two baby gates at the entrance to the hallway when I'm in the room with him :)

As for his room, it's always open when he is upstairs and she never goes in. It was also never a room where she went that often to begin with.

She hasn't been seeming anymore confident than usual. She seems less afraid ie. Not running and hiding, but she still seems very cautious.

Both of the cats are pretty tired today. Fluffy is asleep upstairs and Sapphire is asleep on her cat tree. Usually she sleeps upstairs in the afternoon under my clothes rack and then I can let Fluffy out but today she just wants to stay down here.

Edit: I spoke too soon. She just went to nap in Fluffy's room. I put her litter box in there and gave her some food and I'll let her nap in there for awhile while Fluffy comes out.
"They were both perfectly fine afterwards. No issues." - :yess: :clap2: Perfect!!! That tells us they think it wasn't an issue.

"As for downstairs, there is a small hallway off of the main run and Fluffy's room is there." - Ok, I thought it was upstairs. :/

" I set up two baby gates at the entrance to the hallway when I'm in the room with him :)" - Perfect

"As for his room, it's always open when he is upstairs and she never goes in. It was also never a room where she went that often to begin with." - Ok, not surprising then that she doesn't go in.

"She hasn't been seeming anymore confident than usual. She seems less afraid ie. Not running and hiding, but she still seems very cautious." - Ok. As long as she isn't getting threatened, etc the that it fine. She will go at her pace.

"Both of the cats are pretty tired today. Fluffy is asleep upstairs and Sapphire is asleep on her cat tree. Usually she sleeps upstairs in the afternoon under my clothes rack and then I can let Fluffy out but today she just wants to stay down here." - Awwwwwwwwww. Lazy cats ;)

"Edit: I spoke too soon. She just went to nap in Fluffy's room. I put her litter box in there and gave her some food and I'll let her nap in there for awhile while Fluffy comes out. " - WOW!!! Didn't expect that. Great. Some site swapping. Let me know how he acts when he goes in there next.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"They were both perfectly fine afterwards. No issues." - :yess: :clap2: Perfect!!! That tells us they think it wasn't an issue.

"As for downstairs, there is a small hallway off of the main run and Fluffy's room is there." - Ok, I thought it was upstairs. :/

" I set up two baby gates at the entrance to the hallway when I'm in the room with him :)" - Perfect

"As for his room, it's always open when he is upstairs and she never goes in. It was also never a room where she went that often to begin with." - Ok, not surprising then that she doesn't go in.

"She hasn't been seeming anymore confident than usual. She seems less afraid ie. Not running and hiding, but she still seems very cautious." - Ok. As long as she isn't getting threatened, etc the that it fine. She will go at her pace.

"Both of the cats are pretty tired today. Fluffy is asleep upstairs and Sapphire is asleep on her cat tree. Usually she sleeps upstairs in the afternoon under my clothes rack and then I can let Fluffy out but today she just wants to stay down here." - Awwwwwwwwww. Lazy cats ;)

"Edit: I spoke too soon. She just went to nap in Fluffy's room. I put her litter box in there and gave her some food and I'll let her nap in there for awhile while Fluffy comes out. " - WOW!!! Didn't expect that. Great. Some site swapping. Let me know how he acts when he goes in there next.
Hello :)

He has "his" room downstairs where he goes at night. During the day I bring him upstairs to my bedroom as it has a window (his room doesn't), and my room has the DIY gates attached to the door frame and it's across from Sapphires room. Downstairs I have removable baby gates that I can put up for brief periods of time (they aren't super secure so I don't leave them up all the time though he's only in this room at night). Hopefully that can give a bit more clarity ;)

He was also fine when he went to bed last night. I don't believe either has a problem with eachothers scent, in fact, I think Fluffy likes having her scent around.

I did an on-leash intro last night and gave them treats close together. A few hisses and growls from Sapphire but nothing major. I've been trying to distract with words and treats when she gets that way as usually Fluffy will still try and get closer to her which triggers her to hit him and that's usually when the issues of attempted chases start. I was also feeling stressed last night as Fluffy wouldn't eat any wet food I gave him whatsoever, so I didn't want to push it too far.

This morning he ate a bit of wet food but still refused to eat his usual favourite (he'll eat dry food no problem). I'm also finding that Sapphire is still really grouchy/tired in the mornings lately. She wouldn't come down for treats this morning when I had Fluffy out and just laid like a little loaf up on the top of her tree and wouldn't even eat any treats I gave her up there. There were no issues with Fluffy. When Sapphire wouldn't come down for treats, I just guided Fluffy over to the window to look outside :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello :)

He has "his" room downstairs where he goes at night. During the day I bring him upstairs to my bedroom as it has a window (his room doesn't), and my room has the DIY gates attached to the door frame and it's across from Sapphires room. Downstairs I have removable baby gates that I can put up for brief periods of time (they aren't super secure so I don't leave them up all the time though he's only in this room at night). Hopefully that can give a bit more clarity ;)

He was also fine when he went to bed last night. I don't believe either has a problem with eachothers scent, in fact, I think Fluffy likes having her scent around.

I did an on-leash intro last night and gave them treats close together. A few hisses and growls from Sapphire but nothing major. I've been trying to distract with words and treats when she gets that way as usually Fluffy will still try and get closer to her which triggers her to hit him and that's usually when the issues of attempted chases start. I was also feeling stressed last night as Fluffy wouldn't eat any wet food I gave him whatsoever, so I didn't want to push it too far.

This morning he ate a bit of wet food but still refused to eat his usual favourite (he'll eat dry food no problem). I'm also finding that Sapphire is still really grouchy/tired in the mornings lately. She wouldn't come down for treats this morning when I had Fluffy out and just laid like a little loaf up on the top of her tree and wouldn't even eat any treats I gave her up there. There were no issues with Fluffy. When Sapphire wouldn't come down for treats, I just guided Fluffy over to the window to look outside :)
"He has "his" room downstairs where he goes at night." - Ahhhhhhhh, ok, makes sense.

" During the day I bring him upstairs to my bedroom as it has a window (his room doesn't), and my room has the DIY gates attached to the door frame and it's across from Sapphires room." - OK, now it makes sense.

" Downstairs I have removable baby gates that I can put up for brief periods of time (they aren't super secure so I don't leave them up all the time though he's only in this room at night). " - Ok, great

"Hopefully that can give a bit more clarity ;) " - ABSOLUTELY!!! Perfectly.

"He was also fine when he went to bed last night." - Great

" I don't believe either has a problem with eachothers scent, in fact, I think Fluffy likes having her scent around." - That is great. I actually have the idea that he soooooooo wants to be with her. :/ That is why he lunges, etc.

"I did an on-leash intro last night and gave them treats close together." - Great

"A few hisses and growls from Sapphire but nothing major." - Ok

" I've been trying to distract with words and treats when she gets that way " - Great. Is it working a bit better?

"as usually Fluffy will still try and get closer to her which triggers her to hit him and that's usually when the issues of attempted chases start. " - Yep, very common.

"I was also feeling stressed last night as Fluffy wouldn't eat any wet food I gave him whatsoever, so I didn't want to push it too far." - Ughhhhh, I know. :( That is stressful. EXCELLENT job just not pushing it feeling that way. Really good.

"This morning he ate a bit of wet food but still refused to eat his usual favourite (he'll eat dry food no problem)." - Yes, they get bored sometimes. :/ Was it cold? Not body temperature?

" I'm also finding that Sapphire is still really grouchy/tired in the mornings lately." - Ok

" She wouldn't come down for treats this morning when I had Fluffy out and just laid like a little loaf up on the top of her tree and wouldn't even eat any treats I gave her up there." Ok, then just don't push it. It actually might be a good sign that she isn't really worried about him so isn't "watching over" him.

"There were no issues with Fluffy. " - Great

"When Sapphire wouldn't come down for treats, I just guided Fluffy over to the window to look outside :) " - Perfect!!!

Really good job. I love that you are aware and in tune with them and adjusting as needed. Really good job!!

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"He has "his" room downstairs where he goes at night." - Ahhhhhhhh, ok, makes sense.

" During the day I bring him upstairs to my bedroom as it has a window (his room doesn't), and my room has the DIY gates attached to the door frame and it's across from Sapphires room." - OK, now it makes sense.

" Downstairs I have removable baby gates that I can put up for brief periods of time (they aren't super secure so I don't leave them up all the time though he's only in this room at night). " - Ok, great

" I don't believe either has a problem with eachothers scent, in fact, I think Fluffy likes having her scent around." - That is great. I actually have the idea that he soooooooo wants to be with her. :/ That is why he lunges, etc.

"I did an on-leash intro last night and gave them treats close together." - Great

" I've been trying to distract with words and treats when she gets that way " - Great. Is it working a bit better?

"as usually Fluffy will still try and get closer to her which triggers her to hit him and that's usually when the issues of attempted chases start. " - Yep, very common.

"I was also feeling stressed last night as Fluffy wouldn't eat any wet food I gave him whatsoever, so I didn't want to push it too far." - Ughhhhh, I know. :( That is stressful. EXCELLENT job just not pushing it feeling that way. Really good.

"This morning he ate a bit of wet food but still refused to eat his usual favourite (he'll eat dry food no problem)." - Yes, they get bored sometimes. :/ Was it cold? Not body temperature?

" I'm also finding that Sapphire is still really grouchy/tired in the mornings lately." - Ok

" She wouldn't come down for treats this morning when I had Fluffy out and just laid like a little loaf up on the top of her tree and wouldn't even eat any treats I gave her up there." Ok, then just don't push it. It actually might be a good sign that she isn't really worried about him so isn't "watching over" him.

"When Sapphire wouldn't come down for treats, I just guided Fluffy over to the window to look outside :) " - Perfect!!!

Really good job. I love that you are aware and in tune with them and adjusting as needed. Really good job!!
He definitely does want to be with her. When she was in his room napping yesterday he spent a good half an hour exploring and sniffing around her room. He also meows non-stop (usually for attention when he's alone), but I've noticed him lately sitting by the gates meowing too almost as of he's crying for her to come see him as he'll get silent when he sees her. He could just be wanting to go out but sometimes it seems like he's trying to call to her. It also explains why he's constantly trying to go to her when he's out leash-less haha

I did go today on my lunch break and got a few new wet foods for them to try so hopefully I'll find something he likes again. For a cat that loves to eat he's very picky with his flavours. I do warm the food up slightly and I also mix his food with water to try and give him more water. He's never had an issue with it until last night.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I did forget to answer your question about distraction. I'm still finding it easy with treats for the most part. Talking to them doesn't seem to be working as well but I will keep trying :)

I also wanted to mention how Fluffy acts when he's upstairs in my room behind the gates and he sees Sapphire. When he first sees her, he'll crouch really low and then kind of jump towards the gate. Sometimes he will hide behind a chair that is in the corner and peek out to see if she's there then run out again. He did this tonight while she was a few feet from the gate. I did notice when he realized there was a gate there he did start walking around with his tail up before laying down.

On to the introductions. Things seemed to have went well tonight. They both had supper together, Fluffy on the ground with just his harness and Sapphire up on her tree. Threw some treats for Fluffy after for him to chase and then even guided him to the window with a treat. I was hoping he'd stay there for a bit, but no luck. I did manage to actually get Sapphire to come down to the ground for treats with no issues. The only issue I'm still seeing is that as soon as he's not distracted, Fluffy immediately starts to walk towards wherever she happens to be to try and get close to her. The good news is, as long as I have a treat, I can basically get him to hold wherever he is. When Sapphire came down, I had him only a few feet from her sitting and laying down using the treat.

That's all for today :)