Help/Advice for introductions

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing new to update. Treats together went fine :). Sapphire gave Fluffy a good wack last night just because she felt like it and this morning she raised her paw and he raised his but nothing came of it except a few growls for Sapphire when I distracted them with treats.

Sapphire still acts a bit cautious if she comes downstairs and he is out but she'll go up her cat tree fine.

I'm wondering if using more puzzle feeders may help them. Currently I have a feeder ball that I just put half of Fluffy's food in at night but so far thats the only one he doesn't give up on right away. I also have these three hollowed out mice that I used to put food in for Sapphire and hide them but I stopped using them. I'm wondering if I should try more to keep them stimulated.
"Nothing new to update. Treats together went fine :). " - Great

"Sapphire gave Fluffy a good wack last night just because she felt like it" - Hahahahahaha

" and this morning she raised her paw and he raised his but nothing came of it except a few growls for Sapphire when I distracted them with treats." - GREAT!!! So they weren't aggressive, it was more defensive it sounds. AND they chose not to escalate. Coming to an understanding which is great!!

"Sapphire still acts a bit cautious if she comes downstairs and he is out but she'll go up her cat tree fine." - THat is fine. As long as nothing negative happens she will build trust and confidence.

"I'm wondering if using more puzzle feeders may help them." - It could when they have a meal. So if we feed them together, and she finishes first and if he still wants to finish his food and she goes and goes up on her tree, grooms, etc that would be great.

"Currently I have a feeder ball that I just put half of Fluffy's food in at night but so far thats the only one he doesn't give up on right away." - Ok, I would try that one then.

" I also have these three hollowed out mice that I used to put food in for Sapphire and hide them but I stopped using them. I'm wondering if I should try more to keep them stimulated." - Sounds good. Worth a try though I would use the ball for meals.

Nice little progress in this update. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! Just wanted to pop over and say that I have a bunch of puzzles for the cats - they really enjoy all of the ones in this line (there are three different puzzles, I think), by Nina Ottosson - Nina Ottosson by Petstages Buggin' Out Puzzle & Play - Interactive Cat Treat Puzzle : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

And they like these ones too: Trixie 4591 Mad Scientist for Cats, White/Blue : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Trixie Pet Products Brain Mover, Blue/White : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Keep up the good work! :) They are lucky to have you!
I do like those and they look like something that maybe Fluffy could use. He does struggle even getting kibble out of half an egg carton so I have to be careful what I get him.

"Nothing new to update. Treats together went fine :). " - Great

"Sapphire gave Fluffy a good wack last night just because she felt like it" - Hahahahahaha

" and this morning she raised her paw and he raised his but nothing came of it except a few growls for Sapphire when I distracted them with treats." - GREAT!!! So they weren't aggressive, it was more defensive it sounds. AND they chose not to escalate. Coming to an understanding which is great!!

"Sapphire still acts a bit cautious if she comes downstairs and he is out but she'll go up her cat tree fine." - THat is fine. As long as nothing negative happens she will build trust and confidence.

"I'm wondering if using more puzzle feeders may help them." - It could when they have a meal. So if we feed them together, and she finishes first and if he still wants to finish his food and she goes and goes up on her tree, grooms, etc that would be great.

"Currently I have a feeder ball that I just put half of Fluffy's food in at night but so far thats the only one he doesn't give up on right away." - Ok, I would try that one then.

" I also have these three hollowed out mice that I used to put food in for Sapphire and hide them but I stopped using them. I'm wondering if I should try more to keep them stimulated." - Sounds good. Worth a try though I would use the ball for meals.

Nice little progress in this update. :)
Feeding both of them at the same time is a struggle because Sapphire likes to nibble over a long period of time. They both currently just have their first dinner (wet food) together but usually Sapphire likes to take her time eating and Fluffy will scarf down whatever food he gets.

I'm thinking it could be a good distraction for him however while she does her thing.

I considered order the Ultimate Peacemaker from Jackson Galaxy to see if that would help them get along but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada temporarily so I had to scratch that idea haha

Furmama22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do like those and they look like something that maybe Fluffy could use. He does struggle even getting kibble out of half an egg carton so I have to be careful what I get him.

Feeding both of them at the same time is a struggle because Sapphire likes to nibble over a long period of time. They both currently just have their first dinner (wet food) together but usually Sapphire likes to take her time eating and Fluffy will scarf down whatever food he gets.

I'm thinking it could be a good distraction for him however while she does her thing.

I considered order the Ultimate Peacemaker from Jackson Galaxy to see if that would help them get along but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada temporarily so I had to scratch that idea haha
I've thought about those Jackson Galaxy remedies too! I'm also in Canada, so good to know it's not actually an option. If Fluffy likes to scoop and that works best for him, there is this other puzzle I saw that's all just tubes - for scooping. I agree, don't want to frustrate him! Hawthorne has one of those feeder balls too and he loves it. It's broken and taped together but it's his favourite puzzle.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've thought about those Jackson Galaxy remedies too! I'm also in Canada, so good to know it's not actually an option. If Fluffy likes to scoop and that works best for him, there is this other puzzle I saw that's all just tubes - for scooping. I agree, don't want to frustrate him! Hawthorne has one of those feeder balls too and he loves it. It's broken and taped together but it's his favourite puzzle.
I was ready to order them and I checked shipping and it says they've temporarily stopped shipping out of the US unfortunately :(. Once the border is open I may ship to a parcel pickup place just over the border and take the drive down. I've heard good things about the remedies.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

"Feeding both of them at the same time is a struggle because Sapphire likes to nibble over a long period of time." - Ok. Even if she is picking at it then watching him and he is focused on eating that is good. If he is not wanting to play with her etc then it will build her confidence.

"They both currently just have their first dinner (wet food) together but usually Sapphire likes to take her time eating and Fluffy will scarf down whatever food he gets." - Ok, a slow feeder might help slow him down. How close are they eating the wet food (1st dinner)? Is there a barrier when they do?

"I'm thinking it could be a good distraction for him however while she does her thing." - Exactly, agreed

"I considered order the Ultimate Peacemaker from Jackson Galaxy to see if that would help them get along but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada temporarily so I had to scratch that idea haha " - Ok, there are a lot of slow feeders out there so it shouldn't be an issue.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Feeding both of them at the same time is a struggle because Sapphire likes to nibble over a long period of time." - Ok. Even if she is picking at it then watching him and he is focused on eating that is good. If he is not wanting to play with her etc then it will build her confidence.

"They both currently just have their first dinner (wet food) together but usually Sapphire likes to take her time eating and Fluffy will scarf down whatever food he gets." - Ok, a slow feeder might help slow him down. How close are they eating the wet food (1st dinner)? Is there a barrier when they do?

"I'm thinking it could be a good distraction for him however while she does her thing." - Exactly, agreed

"I considered order the Ultimate Peacemaker from Jackson Galaxy to see if that would help them get along but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada temporarily so I had to scratch that idea haha " - Ok, there are a lot of slow feeders out there so it shouldn't be an issue.
They eat behind the horizontal barrier upstairs for their first dinner. Sapphire likes to eat in the doorway across the hall in her room which is about three feet from where he eats.

Intros have been going well. Last night, before I brought Fluffy out, Sapphire trotted over to his gate, stopped, hissed, and then just sat there for a few minutes not caring at all.

When I brought Fluffy out, I had them eating treats close to eachother again with no issues. Oddly as I was guiding Fluffy back to his room, sapphire began to follow him, keeping her distance but following curiously. I gave them some more treats as Fluffy was getting excited that she was following him.

This morning was also pretty good. I had them eating treats close again. At one point Sapphire did start growling and hitting him and of course he got excited and started hitting back. I distracted with treats again and Sapphire went to run upstairs the stairs but stopped on the second stair and just laid there growling. I guided Fluffy away a bit and she came back down for a treat and went back on her cat tree when I brought Fluffy over to the window to look at the squirrels.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They eat behind the horizontal barrier upstairs for their first dinner. Sapphire likes to eat in the doorway across the hall in her room which is about three feet from where he eats.

Intros have been going well. Last night, before I brought Fluffy out, Sapphire trotted over to his gate, stopped, hissed, and then just sat there for a few minutes not caring at all.

When I brought Fluffy out, I had them eating treats close to eachother again with no issues. Oddly as I was guiding Fluffy back to his room, sapphire began to follow him, keeping her distance but following curiously. I gave them some more treats as Fluffy was getting excited that she was following him.

This morning was also pretty good. I had them eating treats close again. At one point Sapphire did start growling and hitting him and of course he got excited and started hitting back. I distracted with treats again and Sapphire went to run upstairs the stairs but stopped on the second stair and just laid there growling. I guided Fluffy away a bit and she came back down for a treat and went back on her cat tree when I brought Fluffy over to the window to look at the squirrels.
"They eat behind the horizontal barrier upstairs for their first dinner." - Ok

" Sapphire likes to eat in the doorway across the hall in her room which is about three feet from where he eats." - Ok, that is great

"Intros have been going well." - Great

" Last night, before I brought Fluffy out, Sapphire trotted over to his gate, stopped, hissed, and then just sat there for a few minutes not caring at all." - Wow, GREAT!!!

"When I brought Fluffy out, I had them eating treats close to eachother again with no issues." - Perfect

" Oddly as I was guiding Fluffy back to his room, sapphire began to follow him, keeping her distance but following curiously. I gave them some more treats as Fluffy was getting excited that she was following him." - Great!!! I LVOE that she feels confident enough to follow.

"This morning was also pretty good." - Ok

" I had them eating treats close again." - Great

" At one point Sapphire did start growling and hitting him and of course he got excited and started hitting back." - Any reason why she hit him?

"I distracted with treats again" - Great

" and Sapphire went to run upstairs the stairs" - Did he try to go after her? Or what caused her to want to run up? Do you think she was trying to get him to play chase?

"but stopped on the second stair and just laid there growling." - Hmmmmmmm

" I guided Fluffy away a bit and she came back down for a treat and went back on her cat tree when I brought Fluffy over to the window to look at the squirrels." - Perfect!!!

I am almost wondering if she is trying to get him to play, chase, etc. It doesn't seem like it is disciplining, aggressive, etc. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"They eat behind the horizontal barrier upstairs for their first dinner." - Ok

" Sapphire likes to eat in the doorway across the hall in her room which is about three feet from where he eats." - Ok, that is great

"Intros have been going well." - Great

" Last night, before I brought Fluffy out, Sapphire trotted over to his gate, stopped, hissed, and then just sat there for a few minutes not caring at all." - Wow, GREAT!!!

"When I brought Fluffy out, I had them eating treats close to eachother again with no issues." - Perfect

" Oddly as I was guiding Fluffy back to his room, sapphire began to follow him, keeping her distance but following curiously. I gave them some more treats as Fluffy was getting excited that she was following him." - Great!!! I LVOE that she feels confident enough to follow.

"This morning was also pretty good." - Ok

" I had them eating treats close again." - Great

" At one point Sapphire did start growling and hitting him and of course he got excited and started hitting back." - Any reason why she hit him?

"I distracted with treats again" - Great

" and Sapphire went to run upstairs the stairs" - Did he try to go after her? Or what caused her to want to run up? Do you think she was trying to get him to play chase?

"but stopped on the second stair and just laid there growling." - Hmmmmmmm

" I guided Fluffy away a bit and she came back down for a treat and went back on her cat tree when I brought Fluffy over to the window to look at the squirrels." - Perfect!!!

I am almost wondering if she is trying to get him to play, chase, etc. It doesn't seem like it is disciplining, aggressive, etc. Hmmmmmmmmmm
I think he just got a bit too close for a treat for her liking so she growled and wacked him to tell him to back off.

She also seemed a bit tense on the stairs so I don't think she was trying to play. I think that Fluffy hitting her back got her a bit scared and that is why she went to run away (when I say hit, it was the same frantic back and forth that I see at the gates). He didn't try and follow but he did have his harness on and I do still find he's not overly keen on running around with it on. He did get excited though. His pupils were quite huge and his tail was going crazy.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he just got a bit too close for a treat for her liking so she growled and wacked him to tell him to back off.

She also seemed a bit tense on the stairs so I don't think she was trying to play. I think that Fluffy hitting her back got her a bit scared and that is why she went to run away (when I say hit, it was the same frantic back and forth that I see at the gates). He didn't try and follow but he did have his harness on and I do still find he's not overly keen on running around with it on. He did get excited though. His pupils were quite huge and his tail was going crazy.
"I think he just got a bit too close for a treat for her liking so she growled and wacked him to tell him to back off." - Ok, makes sense.

"She also seemed a bit tense on the stairs so I don't think she was trying to play." - Ok. Must not have been too tense or worried.

" I think that Fluffy hitting her back got her a bit scared and that is why she went to run away (when I say hit, it was the same frantic back and forth that I see at the gates)." - Ok, makes sense

" He didn't try and follow but he did have his harness on and I do still find he's not overly keen on running around with it on." - Ok, but it is great he didn't pursue. Hopefully she gets confidence so when he is off the harness she holds her ground.

"He did get excited though. His pupils were quite huge and his tail was going crazy. " - Awwwwwwwww, I am guessing he so wants to play. :/

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No new updates.
Last night they actually touched noses through the gate and sniffed eachother for all of five seconds before Sapphire hissed and smacked him haha.

I got a video of them at the gate awhile later actually being calm.

Nothing new from intros. I've been trying to play with Fluffy and give him a bit of his bedtime dinner before bringing him out and also giving them better treats than Temptations. There was a point when Fluffy started walking rapidly towards Sapphire while her back was turned but the leash wasn't long enough and I distracted with a treat. From that point I could tell he was getting frustrated and wanted to go to her so I guided him back in his room for bed.

No intros this morning. Sapphire seemed really tired and was just curled up on the ground in her room not wanting to come downstairs so I just gave Fluffy some window time before his morning nap in my bedroom.

And here is the video..

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No new updates.
Last night they actually touched noses through the gate and sniffed eachother for all of five seconds before Sapphire hissed and smacked him haha.

I got a video of them at the gate awhile later actually being calm.

Nothing new from intros. I've been trying to play with Fluffy and give him a bit of his bedtime dinner before bringing him out and also giving them better treats than Temptations. There was a point when Fluffy started walking rapidly towards Sapphire while her back was turned but the leash wasn't long enough and I distracted with a treat. From that point I could tell he was getting frustrated and wanted to go to her so I guided him back in his room for bed.

No intros this morning. Sapphire seemed really tired and was just curled up on the ground in her room not wanting to come downstairs so I just gave Fluffy some window time before his morning nap in my bedroom.

And here is the video..
"No new updates." - Ok

"Last night they actually touched noses through the gate and sniffed eachother for all of five seconds" - Great!!!!

" before Sapphire hissed and smacked him haha." - Hahahahaha :) Well, she does have to tell him who the boss is!!!! ;)

"I got a video of them at the gate awhile later actually being calm." - The video is AMAZING!!!! They are going to be just fine. :)

"Nothing new from intros." - Ok

" I've been trying to play with Fluffy and give him a bit of his bedtime dinner before bringing him out and also giving them better treats than Temptations." - Great. Yes, the Temptations are not the best for them :(

"There was a point when Fluffy started walking rapidly towards Sapphire while her back was turned but the leash wasn't long enough and I distracted with a treat." - Ok, doesn't sound aggressive.

" From that point I could tell he was getting frustrated and wanted to go to her so I guided him back in his room for bed." - Yes, he SO WANTS to play with her. :/

"No intros this morning. Sapphire seemed really tired and was just curled up on the ground in her room not wanting to come downstairs so I just gave Fluffy some window time before his morning nap in my bedroom." - Ok, that is fine.

If they can do the video encounter they will be able to (in time) with no gate. They looked lie 2 intro'd cats in the video. PERFECT!!! :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"No new updates." - Ok

"Last night they actually touched noses through the gate and sniffed eachother for all of five seconds" - Great!!!!

" before Sapphire hissed and smacked him haha." - Hahahahaha :) Well, she does have to tell him who the boss is!!!! ;)

"I got a video of them at the gate awhile later actually being calm." - The video is AMAZING!!!! They are going to be just fine. :)

"Nothing new from intros." - Ok

" I've been trying to play with Fluffy and give him a bit of his bedtime dinner before bringing him out and also giving them better treats than Temptations." - Great. Yes, the Temptations are not the best for them :(

"There was a point when Fluffy started walking rapidly towards Sapphire while her back was turned but the leash wasn't long enough and I distracted with a treat." - Ok, doesn't sound aggressive.

" From that point I could tell he was getting frustrated and wanted to go to her so I guided him back in his room for bed." - Yes, he SO WANTS to play with her. :/

"No intros this morning. Sapphire seemed really tired and was just curled up on the ground in her room not wanting to come downstairs so I just gave Fluffy some window time before his morning nap in my bedroom." - Ok, that is fine.

If they can do the video encounter they will be able to (in time) with no gate. They looked lie 2 intro'd cats in the video. PERFECT!!! :)
Now to just get them to act like that without the gate.

We had a minor attempted chase this morning. Sapphire was on the second level of her cat tree with Fluffy on the ground. At one point Fluffy decided to jump onto the level below her and they started batting at eachother from the two levels (lots of hissing and growling from Sapphire which just seemed to get Fluffy more excited). I managed to get Fluffy down at which point Sapphire jumped down and ran up the stairs and Fluffy tried to chase after her. Of course he didn't get far because of the leash.

I brought him back to his room behind the baby gates and Sapphire came back down a few minutes later and I gave them treats at the gate.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now to just get them to act like that without the gate.

We had a minor attempted chase this morning. Sapphire was on the second level of her cat tree with Fluffy on the ground. At one point Fluffy decided to jump onto the level below her and they started batting at eachother from the two levels (lots of hissing and growling from Sapphire which just seemed to get Fluffy more excited). I managed to get Fluffy down at which point Sapphire jumped down and ran up the stairs and Fluffy tried to chase after her. Of course he didn't get far because of the leash.

I brought him back to his room behind the baby gates and Sapphire came back down a few minutes later and I gave them treats at the gate.
"Now to just get them to act like that without the gate." - Exactly. BUT if they can do it with a gate they can do it (in time) without a barrier.

"We had a minor attempted chase this morning." - Ok

" Sapphire was on the second level of her cat tree with Fluffy on the ground. At one point Fluffy decided to jump onto the level below her and they started batting at eachother from the two levels (lots of hissing and growling from Sapphire which just seemed to get Fluffy more excited)." - Ok, disappointing but kinda expected. Sapphire still is not 100% trust yet so she will get defensive.

" I managed to get Fluffy down at which point Sapphire jumped down and ran up the stairs" - Ok, expected.

" and Fluffy tried to chase after her. Of course he didn't get far because of the leash." - Yes, because when a cat acts like prey they will trigger a response. We just need to continue building her trust and confidence.

"I brought him back to his room behind the baby gates and Sapphire came back down a few minutes later and I gave them treats at the gate. " - Great. And they did well? If so, if she rebounded quickly that is very positive.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Now to just get them to act like that without the gate." - Exactly. BUT if they can do it with a gate they can do it (in time) without a barrier.

"We had a minor attempted chase this morning." - Ok

" Sapphire was on the second level of her cat tree with Fluffy on the ground. At one point Fluffy decided to jump onto the level below her and they started batting at eachother from the two levels (lots of hissing and growling from Sapphire which just seemed to get Fluffy more excited)." - Ok, disappointing but kinda expected. Sapphire still is not 100% trust yet so she will get defensive.

" I managed to get Fluffy down at which point Sapphire jumped down and ran up the stairs" - Ok, expected.

" and Fluffy tried to chase after her. Of course he didn't get far because of the leash." - Yes, because when a cat acts like prey they will trigger a response. We just need to continue building her trust and confidence.

"I brought him back to his room behind the baby gates and Sapphire came back down a few minutes later and I gave them treats at the gate. " - Great. And they did well? If so, if she rebounded quickly that is very positive.
Yes when she came back downstairs she seemed absolutely fine. She wasn't even hissing when she walked by him. He was very excited the rest of the morning. Based on everything I've seen with him I'm sure that he knows wants to play with her. He's just still young and wants to be rough with her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes when she came back downstairs she seemed absolutely fine. She wasn't even hissing when she walked by him. He was very excited the rest of the morning. Based on everything I've seen with him I'm sure that he knows wants to play with her. He's just still young and wants to be rough with her.
"Yes when she came back downstairs she seemed absolutely fine." - Great. Fast rebound = Positive

"She wasn't even hissing when she walked by him." - She walked past him after all that? Wow!! Was it before the treats at the gate?

"He was very excited the rest of the morning. Based on everything I've seen with him I'm sure that he knows wants to play with her. He's just still young and wants to be rough with her." - Agreed. He is not wanting to eliminate her. He just wants so badly to play with her. THat is the key and why I am not worried.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Yes when she came back downstairs she seemed absolutely fine." - Great. Fast rebound = Positive

"She wasn't even hissing when she walked by him." - She walked past him after all that? Wow!! Was it before the treats at the gate?

"He was very excited the rest of the morning. Based on everything I've seen with him I'm sure that he knows wants to play with her. He's just still young and wants to be rough with her." - Agreed. He is not wanting to eliminate her. He just wants so badly to play with her. THat is the key and why I am not worried.
When she came back down she went up her on tree first and then came to the gate for a treat (these soft chicken and duck treats that they love). She seemed a bit cautious but not as much as I've seen in the past and after that she was fine.
I also don't see any reason why Fluffy would be aggressive towards her other than the slight chance he may be jealous and/or territorial since they share most of the house, but I mentioned he was in a cat community room with two other cats when he was adopted and got along fine with them. I do believe it's a play related thing since he's essentially in one room all the time except for the few hours a day he has free roam of the house.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When she came back down she went up her on tree first and then came to the gate for a treat (these soft chicken and duck treats that they love). She seemed a bit cautious but not as much as I've seen in the past and after that she was fine.
I also don't see any reason why Fluffy would be aggressive towards her other than the slight chance he may be jealous and/or territorial since they share most of the house, but I mentioned he was in a cat community room with two other cats when he was adopted and got along fine with them. I do believe it's a play related thing since he's essentially in one room all the time except for the few hours a day he has free roam of the house.
"When she came back down she went up her on tree first and then came to the gate for a treat (these soft chicken and duck treats that they love)." - GREAT!!!

" She seemed a bit cautious but not as much as I've seen in the past and after that she was fine." - GREAT!!!

"I also don't see any reason why Fluffy would be aggressive towards her other than the slight chance he may be jealous and/or territorial since they share most of the house," - I am not a big believer in jealousy and on territory they seem to be confident. IF those were issues it would be happening much more often and all the positives would be a lot less frequent.

"but I mentioned he was in a cat community room with two other cats when he was adopted and got along fine with them." - Yes BUT there can be issues with a specific cat. BUT there are no indications that is the case with yours.

" I do believe it's a play related thing since he's essentially in one room all the time except for the few hours a day he has free roam of the house. " - Exactly. IF there were real issues it would be obvious. I am not seeing any real issues.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"When she came back down she went up her on tree first and then came to the gate for a treat (these soft chicken and duck treats that they love)." - GREAT!!!

" She seemed a bit cautious but not as much as I've seen in the past and after that she was fine." - GREAT!!!

"I also don't see any reason why Fluffy would be aggressive towards her other than the slight chance he may be jealous and/or territorial since they share most of the house," - I am not a big believer in jealousy and on territory they seem to be confident. IF those were issues it would be happening much more often and all the positives would be a lot less frequent.

"but I mentioned he was in a cat community room with two other cats when he was adopted and got along fine with them." - Yes BUT there can be issues with a specific cat. BUT there are no indications that is the case with yours.

" I do believe it's a play related thing since he's essentially in one room all the time except for the few hours a day he has free roam of the house. " - Exactly. IF there were real issues it would be obvious. I am not seeing any real issues.
Yup almost certainly just a cat wanting to play. Prior to the attemptes chase, I forgot to mention I did briefly have him playing with his harness on and he was rolling around on the floor as well. He was also sitting nicely chirping at Sapphire while she was growling at him haha.
I wish I knew how I could get him to be less interested in her and learn that she doesn't want to play with him as so far it seems that when she does semi hold her ground he gets even more excited.

Last edited:

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to add that today was just a lot of ups and downs with Sapphire or at least in my mind. She seemed to be fine after the chase (she hid under the bed but came out and back downstairs after a few minutes). All day she seemed fine. At one point I was in my room with Fluffy and she again came right up to the door and they were sniffing and touching noses again for about ten seconds before Sapphire started growling dramatically and ran off downstairs leaving Fluffy looking disappointed.

We decided to let Fluffy out with just his harness again and no leash after playing with him and then I put his food right outside of his room while Sapphire was up on her tree. He didn't immediately go for his food (I think his harness was a bit too tight so I loosened it), but he was willing to chase treats down the house. I even got him to chase a toy. He would come back to his food and nibble a bit before going in Sapphires direction (he may have been coming towards me as I had the treats). He really didn't seem to care about her that much or even notice her up there. The interesting thing happened after I put his leash on. He walked into his playpen at the base of the cat tree and Sapphire bolted down to the ground (I sounded like she fell), and she sat about two feet away from the playpen hissing and growling before I guided her back up to the top of the tree. Fluffy did get excited though I knew he couldn't get to her since he was in the play pen and the sides are a thick mesh.

Its the first time I've seen her come down and almost challenge him but I could be completely misreading what she did and it may be she wanted to come down so she wasn't trapped up at the top.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup almost certainly just a cat wanting to play. Prior to the attemptes chase, I forgot to mention I did briefly have him playing with his harness on and he was rolling around on the floor as well. He was also sitting nicely chirping at Sapphire while she was growling at him haha.
I wish I knew how I could get him to be less interested in her and learn that she doesn't want to play with him as so far it seems that when she does semi hold her ground he gets even more excited.
"Yup almost certainly just a cat wanting to play." - Awwwwwwww

" Prior to the attemptes chase, I forgot to mention I did briefly have him playing with his harness on and he was rolling around on the floor as well." - OK, s he was in play mode. Great

" He was also sitting nicely chirping at Sapphire while she was growling at him haha." - Awwwww, he is so trying to win her over. :/

"I wish I knew how I could get him to be less interested in her" - Well, that is tough and I am not sure good or necessary. I do think she needs to let him know but again THAT is hard for us to get them to do. :/

"and learn that she doesn't want to play with him as so far it seems that when she does semi hold her ground he gets even more excited. " - Yes, but he will get the point OR she will learn to play and give him what he wants. All we can really do is make sure there is a positive association, trust, confidence, and use distraction.

I am not worried. They are going to be fine.

"I want to add that today was just a lot of ups and downs with Sapphire or at least in my mind." - Ok, let's see

" She seemed to be fine after the chase (she hid under the bed but came out and back downstairs after a few minutes)." - OK, that is fine. Her fears were not realized and she realized it quickly. Positive.

"All day she seemed fine." - Great

" At one point I was in my room with Fluffy and she again came right up to the door and they were sniffing and touching noses again for about ten seconds before Sapphire started growling dramatically and ran off downstairs leaving Fluffy looking disappointed." - Ok, really not an issue. A bit silly on her part (and I keep wondering is she wants him to chase her) but nothing negative happened so it is not an issue.

"We decided to let Fluffy out with just his harness again and no leash after playing with him and then I put his food right outside of his room while Sapphire was up on her tree." - Great

" He didn't immediately go for his food (I think his harness was a bit too tight so I loosened it), but he was willing to chase treats down the house." - Ok.

"I even got him to chase a toy." - Perfect

" He would come back to his food and nibble a bit before going in Sapphires direction (he may have been coming towards me as I had the treats)." - Ok, so far so good.

" He really didn't seem to care about her that much or even notice her up there." - Perfect!!! I am sure he knew she was there.

" The interesting thing happened after I put his leash on. He walked into his playpen at the base of the cat tree" - Ok

" and Sapphire bolted down to the ground (I sounded like she fell)," - Interesting. Did you see it at all? I am guessing not. Doesn;t sound like a cat that is that afraid of him. :/

"and she sat about two feet away from the playpen hissing and growling" - OK, communication.

" before I guided her back up to the top of the tree." - GREAT!!!

" Fluffy did get excited though I knew he couldn't get to her since he was in the play pen and the sides are a thick mesh." - I am sure he did.

"Its the first time I've seen her come down and almost challenge him but I could be completely misreading what she did" - It is interesting. It sounds like she was engaging him. For what intent? Not sure. BUT I am ok with that, kinda proud of her for being so confident. AND I LOVE she went back up on the tree.

" and it may be she wanted to come down so she wasn't trapped up at the top. " - Maybe but I am not sure. I would have had to see it but it sounds like she wanted to tell him something, show him something. BUT I keep wondering if she really wants to play too but is just unsure OR has kinda a weird way of playing.

BUT I would call it overall a very positive day!!! I think you should be ecstatic at the day!! :) I actually think some good progress happened.