Help/Advice for introductions

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for the late response. There was no fur flying or bleeding from what I recall. There was a lot of rolling and shrieking before Sapphire managed to get away and Fluffy was hissing/arched back/puffed up tail.
I guess that does sound like more than just "play fighting". :sigh:

Can't remember if I've posted this article link before, but there's videos and pics showing the difference between play fighting, and actual fighting. Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I don't think it is really negative but also I'm really not entirely sure what to look for." - Ok

" She came over and they were actually sniffing eachother through the gate." - Ok, good. SO far so good. Usually what happens is they smell a touch then get a bit wild.

"Usually what happens is he reaches through to try and poke her with his paw" - Ok, fairly slowly? Not rapidly?

" and she in turns wacks him." - Yep, teaching manners.

" I'm then getting the sense that he thinks she's playing with him and gets a bit excited which leads to the batting back and forth until " Makes sense with the added info.

"Sapphire is sick of it and walks away" - OK, this is great. IF she is walking away that is a good sign.

" at which point I think Fluffy may be a bit frustrated that she left." - Makes sense.

Well that is even better than I thought. It is also supported by how they act when together for treat time, etc.
Yes behind the gate he's always slow at first and he usually flops over onto his side as he really starts to get into it. I will try and get a video though from what I've seen its excitement and frustration. With Sapphire you can just tell that she gets sick of him and just leaves. Usually at that point Fluffy will start pacing and meowing non stop. From what I know of aggression I'm not seeing it but of course my experience is fairly limited.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes behind the gate he's always slow at first and he usually flops over onto his side as he really starts to get into it. I will try and get a video though from what I've seen its excitement and frustration. With Sapphire you can just tell that she gets sick of him and just leaves. Usually at that point Fluffy will start pacing and meowing non stop. From what I know of aggression I'm not seeing it but of course my experience is fairly limited.
"Yes behind the gate he's always slow at first" - Great

" and he usually flops over onto his side as he really starts to get into it." - Hahahaha, yep, that is play given all the other info. I am guessing he is a bit submissive trying to tell her he doesn't mean harm.

" I will try and get a video" - Great

" though from what I've seen its excitement and frustration." - Makes sense

" With Sapphire you can just tell that she gets sick of him and just leaves." - Hahahahaha, not what a threatened cat would do. ;)

" Usually at that point Fluffy will start pacing and meowing non stop." - Yep "COME BACKL AND PLAY!!!!". Hahahahahaha

"From what I know of aggression I'm not seeing it but of course my experience is fairly limited." - I would have to see it but I am not thinking it is aggression either.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Yes behind the gate he's always slow at first" - Great

" and he usually flops over onto his side as he really starts to get into it." - Hahahaha, yep, that is play given all the other info. I am guessing he is a bit submissive trying to tell her he doesn't mean harm.

" I will try and get a video" - Great

" though from what I've seen its excitement and frustration." - Makes sense

" With Sapphire you can just tell that she gets sick of him and just leaves." - Hahahahaha, not what a threatened cat would do. ;)

" Usually at that point Fluffy will start pacing and meowing non stop." - Yep "COME BACKL AND PLAY!!!!". Hahahahahaha

"From what I know of aggression I'm not seeing it but of course my experience is fairly limited." - I would have to see it but I am not thinking it is aggression either.
Here is a short video that I posted about a month ago.
It's very similar to what I witnessed yesterday, maybe slightly less heated. The gate is also now the DIY gate made of shelving so it has horizontal bars meaning it's not as difficult for Fluffy to get his paws through.
Sapphire and Fluffy 1

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a short video that I posted about a month ago.
It's very similar to what I witnessed yesterday, maybe slightly less heated. The gate is also now the DIY gate made of shelving so it has horizontal bars meaning it's not as difficult for Fluffy to get his paws through.
Sapphire and Fluffy 1
That is all play, not an issue or worrying at all. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is all play, not an issue or worrying at all. :)
Now I just need to see that while he has his harness on. He was being a bit much difficult tonight. He was trying follow Sapphire all around the living room. She went to the opposite side of the cat playpen and he tried to go through to her. She then went under the coffee table and he tried to go there too. There was a point where she was about five feet away and he tried to run towards her immediately after a treat and it did take a little bit to get his attention with more treats. It definitely would have been a lunge/pounce had he been closer to her and I wasn't holding the leash.

I do feel that I've hit a point where I'm not exactly sure what to do going forward as I feel like it's just more of the same every day. There was a point a few weeks ago I could have them eating treats within a foot of eachother and I'm unsure if I should try that again even though it may lead to an altercation.

Last edited:

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fluffy and Sapphire 08/10

Here is a video from this morning. It is kind of short. Usually the paw batting lasts for about 30 seconds before Sapphire walks away from it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I just need to see that while he has his harness on. He was being a bit much difficult tonight. He was trying follow Sapphire all around the living room. She went to the opposite side of the cat playpen and he tried to go through to her. She then went under the coffee table and he tried to go there too. There was a point where she was about five feet away and he tried to run towards her immediately after a treat and it did take a little bit to get his attention with more treats. It definitely would have been a lunge/pounce had he been closer to her and I wasn't holding the leash.

I do feel that I've hit a point where I'm not exactly sure what to do going forward as I feel like it's just more of the same every day. There was a point a few weeks ago I could have them eating treats within a foot of eachother and I'm unsure if I should try that again even though it may lead to an altercation.
"Now I just need to see that while he has his harness on." - Yes

" He was being a bit much difficult tonight." - Ok

" He was trying follow Sapphire all around the living room." - Follow or attacking?

" She went to the opposite side of the cat playpen and he tried to go through to her. She then went under the coffee table and he tried to go there too." - Ok. Did you sense it was wanting to play?

" There was a point where she was about five feet away and he tried to run towards her immediately after a treat" - Ok

" and it did take a little bit to get his attention with more treats." - But he chose treats or her?

" It definitely would have been a lunge/pounce had he been closer to her and I wasn't holding the leash." - Ok. How was his body language? What was her reaction?

"I do feel that I've hit a point where I'm not exactly sure what to do going forward as I feel like it's just more of the same every day." - Ok

I would like to see him playing on the ground with her up on her tree watching. Then him eating treats after his play with her watching.

"There was a point a few weeks ago I could have them eating treats within a foot of eachother " - But not anymore? Because he wants to bother her or she will not come close?

"and I'm unsure if I should try that again even though it may lead to an altercation." - I would like to try it again with the harness on. If you think she will "discipline him" and it will end that is good.

Hang in there. We will need her to do her part as well. I got a sense she was. Is that still correct?

Do you sense any aggression, etc in him towards her?

The video - That was not aggressive. He was being good, he got to close, she disciplined, he got a little upset, she said "whatever" and walked away and then he seemed disappointed she left. :/ I don't see aggression, etc. I see him wanting to play with her and her teaching him manners and where the line is. Those are two cats that are going to be just fine together. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Now I just need to see that while he has his harness on." - Yes

" He was being a bit much difficult tonight." - Ok

" He was trying follow Sapphire all around the living room." - Follow or attacking?

" She went to the opposite side of the cat playpen and he tried to go through to her. She then went under the coffee table and he tried to go there too." - Ok. Did you sense it was wanting to play?

" There was a point where she was about five feet away and he tried to run towards her immediately after a treat" - Ok

" and it did take a little bit to get his attention with more treats." - But he chose treats or her?

" It definitely would have been a lunge/pounce had he been closer to her and I wasn't holding the leash." - Ok. How was his body language? What was her reaction?

"I do feel that I've hit a point where I'm not exactly sure what to do going forward as I feel like it's just more of the same every day." - Ok

I would like to see him playing on the ground with her up on her tree watching. Then him eating treats after his play with her watching.

"There was a point a few weeks ago I could have them eating treats within a foot of eachother " - But not anymore? Because he wants to bother her or she will not come close?

"and I'm unsure if I should try that again even though it may lead to an altercation." - I would like to try it again with the harness on. If you think she will "discipline him" and it will end that is good.

Hang in there. We will need her to do her part as well. I got a sense she was. Is that still correct?

Do you sense any aggression, etc in him towards her?

The video - That was not aggressive. He was being good, he got to close, she disciplined, he got a little upset, she said "whatever" and walked away and then he seemed disappointed she left. :/ I don't see aggression, etc. I see him wanting to play with her and her teaching him manners and where the line is. Those are two cats that are going to be just fine together. :)
It's hard to tell if he was following or attacking. He was very forceful on the leash. I sense it was him being interested and wanting to play but his play involves trying to pounce on her as you've seen in past videos. In all the situations he eventually chose treats but it took a bit of shaking the bag and showing him I had a treat.

I believe his body language was normal. The best I could describe it would be very focused, almost excited. His ears always stay up and forward and I haven't seen hair raised or big tail. Usually his tail either looks relaxed or somewhat down but I really never see it sticking straight up.

As for the closeness of eating treats together, I think I have been keeping them further away out of fear he will try a fast one and try and jump on her. I could most likely get her to come close and she will even most likely discipline him, but at that point he could go into defensive/play mode or he could back off but I'm guessing he wouldn't back off because he just gets so excited to see her every time and doesn't seem at all afraid of her. I know there is probably minimal aggressive intent of any, but in my mind everything I see when he's even being slightly difficult is aggressive when most likely it is rough play.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell if he was following or attacking. He was very forceful on the leash. I sense it was him being interested and wanting to play but his play involves trying to pounce on her as you've seen in past videos. In all the situations he eventually chose treats but it took a bit of shaking the bag and showing him I had a treat.

I believe his body language was normal. The best I could describe it would be very focused, almost excited. His ears always stay up and forward and I haven't seen hair raised or big tail. Usually his tail either looks relaxed or somewhat down but I really never see it sticking straight up.

As for the closeness of eating treats together, I think I have been keeping them further away out of fear he will try a fast one and try and jump on her. I could most likely get her to come close and she will even most likely discipline him, but at that point he could go into defensive/play mode or he could back off but I'm guessing he wouldn't back off because he just gets so excited to see her every time and doesn't seem at all afraid of her. I know there is probably minimal aggressive intent of any, but in my mind everything I see when he's even being slightly difficult is aggressive when most likely it is rough play.
"It's hard to tell if he was following or attacking." - Ok, it can be difficult to tell.

" He was very forceful on the leash." - Yes. Sometimes when they are playing they can be.

" I sense it was him being interested and wanting to play" - Given everything else I think that is correct.

" but his play involves trying to pounce on her as you've seen in past videos." - Yep, cats LOVE to pounce, roll around, etc.

" In all the situations he eventually chose treats but it took a bit of shaking the bag and showing him I had a treat." - And that tells us everything. IF he wanted to eliminate her he would not be distractable.

"I believe his body language was normal. The best I could describe it would be very focused, almost excited. His ears always stay up and forward and I haven't seen hair raised or big tail. Usually his tail either looks relaxed or somewhat down but I really never see it sticking straight up." - Ok, another supporting data point as to it being play.

"As for the closeness of eating treats together, I think I have been keeping them further away out of fear he will try a fast one and try and jump on her." - Ok, understandable.

" I could most likely get her to come close and she will even most likely discipline him," - Ok, good

" but at that point he could go into defensive/play mode or he could back off but I'm guessing he wouldn't back off because he just gets so excited to see her every time and doesn't seem at all afraid of her. " - Yes and the reason he is not afraid of her is because she isn't aggressive but rather "teaching". At some point we will have to test them. Not yet but at some point.

"I know there is probably minimal aggressive intent of any," - Agreed

" but in my mind everything I see when he's even being slightly difficult is aggressive when most likely it is rough play. " - Seems like it. He is excited he ahs a sister and wants to play. Very normal.

We need her to stand up to him a bit more, etc. Get the ground rules as to what is acceptable, what isn't etc. In order to do that we will need to allow them a little more leeway. In time.

I don't really see/read any behavior that warrants real concern. We have some things to work through but nothing insurmountable or abnormal.

Keep up the great work.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"It's hard to tell if he was following or attacking." - Ok, it can be difficult to tell.

" He was very forceful on the leash." - Yes. Sometimes when they are playing they can be.

" I sense it was him being interested and wanting to play" - Given everything else I think that is correct.

" but his play involves trying to pounce on her as you've seen in past videos." - Yep, cats LOVE to pounce, roll around, etc.

" In all the situations he eventually chose treats but it took a bit of shaking the bag and showing him I had a treat." - And that tells us everything. IF he wanted to eliminate her he would not be distractable.

"I believe his body language was normal. The best I could describe it would be very focused, almost excited. His ears always stay up and forward and I haven't seen hair raised or big tail. Usually his tail either looks relaxed or somewhat down but I really never see it sticking straight up." - Ok, another supporting data point as to it being play.

"As for the closeness of eating treats together, I think I have been keeping them further away out of fear he will try a fast one and try and jump on her." - Ok, understandable.

" I could most likely get her to come close and she will even most likely discipline him," - Ok, good

" but at that point he could go into defensive/play mode or he could back off but I'm guessing he wouldn't back off because he just gets so excited to see her every time and doesn't seem at all afraid of her. " - Yes and the reason he is not afraid of her is because she isn't aggressive but rather "teaching". At some point we will have to test them. Not yet but at some point.

"I know there is probably minimal aggressive intent of any," - Agreed

" but in my mind everything I see when he's even being slightly difficult is aggressive when most likely it is rough play. " - Seems like it. He is excited he ahs a sister and wants to play. Very normal.

We need her to stand up to him a bit more, etc. Get the ground rules as to what is acceptable, what isn't etc. In order to do that we will need to allow them a little more leeway. In time.

I don't really see/read any behavior that warrants real concern. We have some things to work through but nothing insurmountable or abnormal.

Keep up the great work.
Thank you for all your advice and support! :)
I'm thinking more and more that his excitement is what is leading to the issues. I know he is very excitable as when I get home from work and go to play with him he gets so excited and will run around my bedroom at light speed and jump all over the place like an excited puppy (I'm sure if he could he would climb the walls and ceiling).
I'm considering letting him eat this weekend without his leash again this weekend and seeing how it goes.
Both my and my partner's work schedules shifted this week again so it's a bit of a struggle trying to adapt the new routine.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your advice and support! :)
I'm thinking more and more that his excitement is what is leading to the issues. I know he is very excitable as when I get home from work and go to play with him he gets so excited and will run around my bedroom at light speed and jump all over the place like an excited puppy (I'm sure if he could he would climb the walls and ceiling).
I'm considering letting him eat this weekend without his leash again this weekend and seeing how it goes.
Both my and my partner's work schedules shifted this week again so it's a bit of a struggle trying to adapt the new routine.
"Thank you for all your advice and support! :) " - You are very welcome. :)

"I'm thinking more and more that his excitement is what is leading to the issues." - Exactly. He is a young, playful cat.

" I know he is very excitable as when I get home from work and go to play with him he gets so excited and will run around my bedroom at light speed and jump all over the place like an excited puppy (I'm sure if he could he would climb the walls and ceiling)." - Awwwwwwwww

"I'm considering letting him eat this weekend without his leash again this weekend and seeing how it goes." - I think that is a good idea.

"Both my and my partner's work schedules shifted this week again so it's a bit of a struggle trying to adapt the new routine. " - Ahhhhhhhhh, ok. Well, maybe let the new routine settle in before trying anything too bold. Cats like routines so the more routine things are the more likely they will do well.

I would love to see if he would play in front of her and if the toy could keep his interest.

Does he ever go up on the cat tree?

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Thank you for all your advice and support! :) " - You are very welcome. :)

"I'm thinking more and more that his excitement is what is leading to the issues." - Exactly. He is a young, playful cat.

" I know he is very excitable as when I get home from work and go to play with him he gets so excited and will run around my bedroom at light speed and jump all over the place like an excited puppy (I'm sure if he could he would climb the walls and ceiling)." - Awwwwwwwww

"I'm considering letting him eat this weekend without his leash again this weekend and seeing how it goes." - I think that is a good idea.

"Both my and my partner's work schedules shifted this week again so it's a bit of a struggle trying to adapt the new routine. " - Ahhhhhhhhh, ok. Well, maybe let the new routine settle in before trying anything too bold. Cats like routines so the more routine things are the more likely they will do well.

I would love to see if he would play in front of her and if the toy could keep his interest.

Does he ever go up on the cat tree?
Luckily the schedule changes are too drastic only about an hour difference every day.

I will definitely try and play with him again with Da Bird as that's the only toy he seems to really like lately. I did have the issue this weekend of Sapphire wanting the toy as well which was very surprising.

I've also never seen him go up either of the cat trees. He really likes the back of the couch and the suction cupped perch on the window but not the cat trees themselves. I got him a small cat tree for his room downstairs as Ive noticed he rarely likes to jump up on things but I haven't seen him use it yet.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily the schedule changes are too drastic only about an hour difference every day.

I will definitely try and play with him again with Da Bird as that's the only toy he seems to really like lately. I did have the issue this weekend of Sapphire wanting the toy as well which was very surprising.

I've also never seen him go up either of the cat trees. He really likes the back of the couch and the suction cupped perch on the window but not the cat trees themselves. I got him a small cat tree for his room downstairs as Ive noticed he rarely likes to jump up on things but I haven't seen him use it yet.
"Luckily the schedule changes are too drastic only about an hour difference every day." - Great, that shouldn't be an issue.

"I will definitely try and play with him again with Da Bird as that's the only toy he seems to really like lately." - Great, fingers crossed.

"I did have the issue this weekend of Sapphire wanting the toy as well which was very surprising." - LOVE IT!! Was he within view?

"I've also never seen him go up either of the cat trees. He really likes the back of the couch and the suction cupped perch on the window but not the cat trees themselves. I got him a small cat tree for his room downstairs as Ive noticed he rarely likes to jump up on things but I haven't seen him use it yet. " - Ok, there is always a first BUT that might be a deterrent to him going up to her (or maybe not).

I am not worried, they are doing great. Let's see how they do and see how much progress we can make. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning!
First up, I did try and play with Fluffy last night while Sapphire wasn't even there and unfortunately he did not want to play. He would lose interest within a few seconds. As for the cat trees, I do believe he may try and go up if Sapphire was up there and he wanted to get to her but I'm not sure.

As for the sessions, everything seemed to be going well. I was quite impressed with Sapphire as when my mom came over yesterday afternoon to let Fluffy out of the bedroom, she didn't run and hide like she usually does (she usually hides in her room when my mom comes over). Fluffy was brought out to look out the window with her harness and they even had treats together close by on the ground without problems.

Last night and this morning I did get them to eat treats less than a foot from eachother for a few minutes. Sapphire did give one wack last night and a hiss this morning but Fluffy was a very good boy and I didn't feel him getting overly excited very much at all. This morning he was up on his perch and I hadn't realized Sapphire had snuck downstairs and was sitting at the base of the couch but I managed to catch Fluffy before he could jump off and onto her so that was avoided.

I will keep trying to play with him in hopes that can distract him, but I seems like he would rather have treats haha.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!
First up, I did try and play with Fluffy last night while Sapphire wasn't even there and unfortunately he did not want to play. He would lose interest within a few seconds. As for the cat trees, I do believe he may try and go up if Sapphire was up there and he wanted to get to her but I'm not sure.

As for the sessions, everything seemed to be going well. I was quite impressed with Sapphire as when my mom came over yesterday afternoon to let Fluffy out of the bedroom, she didn't run and hide like she usually does (she usually hides in her room when my mom comes over). Fluffy was brought out to look out the window with her harness and they even had treats together close by on the ground without problems.

Last night and this morning I did get them to eat treats less than a foot from eachother for a few minutes. Sapphire did give one wack last night and a hiss this morning but Fluffy was a very good boy and I didn't feel him getting overly excited very much at all. This morning he was up on his perch and I hadn't realized Sapphire had snuck downstairs and was sitting at the base of the couch but I managed to catch Fluffy before he could jump off and onto her so that was avoided.

I will keep trying to play with him in hopes that can distract him, but I seems like he would rather have treats haha.
"Good morning!" - Good morning!!

"First up, I did try and play with Fluffy last night while Sapphire wasn't even there and unfortunately he did not want to play." - Bummer

" He would lose interest within a few seconds." - Are you making it move like prey? Like a mouse or a rabbit or a bird? Putting it around corners, popping out, etc?

"As for the cat trees, I do believe he may try and go up if Sapphire was up there and he wanted to get to her but I'm not sure." - Ok, well, we will find out.

"As for the sessions, everything seemed to be going well." - Great

" I was quite impressed with Sapphire as when my mom came over yesterday afternoon to let Fluffy out of the bedroom, she didn't run and hide like she usually does (she usually hides in her room when my mom comes over)." - Great. Where was she and did he pass by her at all?

"Fluffy was brought out to look out the window with her harness and they even had treats together close by on the ground without problems." - With your mom or were you there as well?

"Last night and this morning I did get them to eat treats less than a foot from eachother for a few minutes." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: Fantastic!!

" Sapphire did give one wack last night and a hiss this morning" - not an issue if respected.

" but Fluffy was a very good boy and I didn't feel him getting overly excited very much at all." - WOW, GREAT!!!!

"This morning he was up on his perch and I hadn't realized Sapphire had snuck downstairs and was sitting at the base of the couch" So she knew he was there and she not only came down but was at the base of the couch? Could she see him? Was he on his harness?

"but I managed to catch Fluffy before he could jump off and onto her so that was avoided." - So he saw her and was ready to play? What did she do?

Pretty awesome on a number of levels!!!

"I will keep trying to play with him in hopes that can distract him, but I seems like he would rather have treats haha. " - Hahahaha, well, whatever works!!! ;)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Good morning!" - Good morning!!

"First up, I did try and play with Fluffy last night while Sapphire wasn't even there and unfortunately he did not want to play." - Bummer

" He would lose interest within a few seconds." - Are you making it move like prey? Like a mouse or a rabbit or a bird? Putting it around corners, popping out, etc?

"As for the cat trees, I do believe he may try and go up if Sapphire was up there and he wanted to get to her but I'm not sure." - Ok, well, we will find out.

"As for the sessions, everything seemed to be going well." - Great

" I was quite impressed with Sapphire as when my mom came over yesterday afternoon to let Fluffy out of the bedroom, she didn't run and hide like she usually does (she usually hides in her room when my mom comes over)." - Great. Where was she and did he pass by her at all?

"Fluffy was brought out to look out the window with her harness and they even had treats together close by on the ground without problems." - With your mom or were you there as well?

"Last night and this morning I did get them to eat treats less than a foot from eachother for a few minutes." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: Fantastic!!

" Sapphire did give one wack last night and a hiss this morning" - not an issue if respected.

" but Fluffy was a very good boy and I didn't feel him getting overly excited very much at all." - WOW, GREAT!!!!

"This morning he was up on his perch and I hadn't realized Sapphire had snuck downstairs and was sitting at the base of the couch" So she knew he was there and she not only came down but was at the base of the couch? Could she see him? Was he on his harness?

"but I managed to catch Fluffy before he could jump off and onto her so that was avoided." - So he saw her and was ready to play? What did she do?

Pretty awesome on a number of levels!!!

"I will keep trying to play with him in hopes that can distract him, but I seems like he would rather have treats haha. " - Hahahaha, well, whatever works!!! ;)
She definitely knew he was up there when she came over. He had his harness on as I knew she was upstairs but wanted to give him a bit of window time before I went to work and I wanted to see if she would come down so I could give them treats together. He got a bit excited when he realized she was there (before I did) and she just gave out as hiss as I stopped him but that was it.

I did try multiple toys including Da Bird which I definitely thought he would play with but he didn't. He may have been somewhat played out as last night he was hi waiting for his bed time food and this morning I had already played with him and given him breakfast. It could have also been because he may have felt restrained with the harness but I'll keep trying.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely knew he was up there when she came over. He had his harness on as I knew she was upstairs but wanted to give him a bit of window time before I went to work and I wanted to see if she would come down so I could give them treats together. He got a bit excited when he realized she was there (before I did) and she just gave out as hiss as I stopped him but that was it.

I did try multiple toys including Da Bird which I definitely thought he would play with but he didn't. He may have been somewhat played out as last night he was hi waiting for his bed time food and this morning I had already played with him and given him breakfast. It could have also been because he may have felt restrained with the harness but I'll keep trying.
"She definitely knew he was up there when she came over." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: THAT is a HUGE step forward!! LOVE IT!!!

" He had his harness on as I knew she was upstairs but wanted to give him a bit of window time before I went to work" - Great

" and I wanted to see if she would come down so I could give them treats together." - Perfect

"He got a bit excited when he realized she was there (before I did)" - Awwwwwwwwwww

" and she just gave out as hiss as I stopped him but that was it." - Perfect

"I did try multiple toys including Da Bird which I definitely thought he would play with but he didn't. He may have been somewhat played out as last night he was hi waiting for his bed time food and this morning I had already played with him and given him breakfast. It could have also been because he may have felt restrained with the harness but I'll keep trying. " - Ok, sounds like there were maybe good reasons why he didn't. I am not worried.

Well, this is a really good update!!! :) I am so proud of her!!!

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing new to update. Treats together went fine :). Sapphire gave Fluffy a good wack last night just because she felt like it and this morning she raised her paw and he raised his but nothing came of it except a few growls for Sapphire when I distracted them with treats.

Sapphire still acts a bit cautious if she comes downstairs and he is out but she'll go up her cat tree fine.

I'm wondering if using more puzzle feeders may help them. Currently I have a feeder ball that I just put half of Fluffy's food in at night but so far thats the only one he doesn't give up on right away. I also have these three hollowed out mice that I used to put food in for Sapphire and hide them but I stopped using them. I'm wondering if I should try more to keep them stimulated.

Furmama22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing new to update. Treats together went fine :). Sapphire gave Fluffy a good wack last night just because she felt like it and this morning she raised her paw and he raised his but nothing came of it except a few growls for Sapphire when I distracted them with treats.

Sapphire still acts a bit cautious if she comes downstairs and he is out but she'll go up her cat tree fine.

I'm wondering if using more puzzle feeders may help them. Currently I have a feeder ball that I just put half of Fluffy's food in at night but so far thats the only one he doesn't give up on right away. I also have these three hollowed out mice that I used to put food in for Sapphire and hide them but I stopped using them. I'm wondering if I should try more to keep them stimulated.
Hello! Just wanted to pop over and say that I have a bunch of puzzles for the cats - they really enjoy all of the ones in this line (there are three different puzzles, I think), by Nina Ottosson - Nina Ottosson by Petstages Buggin' Out Puzzle & Play - Interactive Cat Treat Puzzle : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

And they like these ones too: Trixie 4591 Mad Scientist for Cats, White/Blue : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Trixie Pet Products Brain Mover, Blue/White : Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Keep up the good work! :) They are lucky to have you!