Help/Advice for introductions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Yup almost certainly just a cat wanting to play." - Awwwwwwww

" Prior to the attemptes chase, I forgot to mention I did briefly have him playing with his harness on and he was rolling around on the floor as well." - OK, s he was in play mode. Great

" He was also sitting nicely chirping at Sapphire while she was growling at him haha." - Awwwww, he is so trying to win her over. :/

"I wish I knew how I could get him to be less interested in her" - Well, that is tough and I am not sure good or necessary. I do think she needs to let him know but again THAT is hard for us to get them to do. :/

"and learn that she doesn't want to play with him as so far it seems that when she does semi hold her ground he gets even more excited. " - Yes, but he will get the point OR she will learn to play and give him what he wants. All we can really do is make sure there is a positive association, trust, confidence, and use distraction.

I am not worried. They are going to be fine.

"I want to add that today was just a lot of ups and downs with Sapphire or at least in my mind." - Ok, let's see

" She seemed to be fine after the chase (she hid under the bed but came out and back downstairs after a few minutes)." - OK, that is fine. Her fears were not realized and she realized it quickly. Positive.

"All day she seemed fine." - Great

" At one point I was in my room with Fluffy and she again came right up to the door and they were sniffing and touching noses again for about ten seconds before Sapphire started growling dramatically and ran off downstairs leaving Fluffy looking disappointed." - Ok, really not an issue. A bit silly on her part (and I keep wondering is she wants him to chase her) but nothing negative happened so it is not an issue.

"We decided to let Fluffy out with just his harness again and no leash after playing with him and then I put his food right outside of his room while Sapphire was up on her tree." - Great

" He didn't immediately go for his food (I think his harness was a bit too tight so I loosened it), but he was willing to chase treats down the house." - Ok.

"I even got him to chase a toy." - Perfect

" He would come back to his food and nibble a bit before going in Sapphires direction (he may have been coming towards me as I had the treats)." - Ok, so far so good.

" He really didn't seem to care about her that much or even notice her up there." - Perfect!!! I am sure he knew she was there.

" The interesting thing happened after I put his leash on. He walked into his playpen at the base of the cat tree" - Ok

" and Sapphire bolted down to the ground (I sounded like she fell)," - Interesting. Did you see it at all? I am guessing not. Doesn;t sound like a cat that is that afraid of him. :/

"and she sat about two feet away from the playpen hissing and growling" - OK, communication.

" before I guided her back up to the top of the tree." - GREAT!!!

" Fluffy did get excited though I knew he couldn't get to her since he was in the play pen and the sides are a thick mesh." - I am sure he did.

"Its the first time I've seen her come down and almost challenge him but I could be completely misreading what she did" - It is interesting. It sounds like she was engaging him. For what intent? Not sure. BUT I am ok with that, kinda proud of her for being so confident. AND I LOVE she went back up on the tree.

" and it may be she wanted to come down so she wasn't trapped up at the top. " - Maybe but I am not sure. I would have had to see it but it sounds like she wanted to tell him something, show him something. BUT I keep wondering if she really wants to play too but is just unsure OR has kinda a weird way of playing.

BUT I would call it overall a very positive day!!! I think you should be ecstatic at the day!! :) I actually think some good progress happened.
I am thinking she came down to tell him to back off/don't try and come up my cat tree. During treats this morning she was also very growly towards him but for the first time I noticed her calming down slightly just by saying "it's okay". I put Fluffy into the playpen this morning after the intros and breakfast so I could get ready for work and he just laid in there meowing and she laid on her cat tree watching him. I even guided him back to his room when I opened the playpen with treats and he went right to it without even looking at her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking she came down to tell him to back off/don't try and come up my cat tree. During treats this morning she was also very growly towards him but for the first time I noticed her calming down slightly just by saying "it's okay". I put Fluffy into the playpen this morning after the intros and breakfast so I could get ready for work and he just laid in there meowing and she laid on her cat tree watching him. I even guided him back to his room when I opened the playpen with treats and he went right to it without even looking at her.
"I am thinking she came down to tell him to back off/don't try and come up my cat tree." - Could be. Proactive. ;)

"During treats this morning she was also very growly towards him" - Growling is just communication and if it is respected it is fine and actually leads to better encounters.

"but for the first time I noticed her calming down slightly just by saying "it's okay"." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: TERRIFIC!!! That is a wonderful step forward!!! Tells me she is accepting him.

"I put Fluffy into the playpen this morning after the intros and breakfast so I could get ready for work and he just laid in there meowing and she laid on her cat tree watching him." - Perfect!!! I feel like there is some breakthrough here. :)

" I even guided him back to his room when I opened the playpen with treats and he went right to it without even looking at her." - WOW!!!!

It feels like we are having a major step forward. Terrific!!!! Continue what you are doing, it is working. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I am thinking she came down to tell him to back off/don't try and come up my cat tree." - Could be. Proactive. ;)

"During treats this morning she was also very growly towards him" - Growling is just communication and if it is respected it is fine and actually leads to better encounters.

"but for the first time I noticed her calming down slightly just by saying "it's okay"." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: TERRIFIC!!! That is a wonderful step forward!!! Tells me she is accepting him.

"I put Fluffy into the playpen this morning after the intros and breakfast so I could get ready for work and he just laid in there meowing and she laid on her cat tree watching him." - Perfect!!! I feel like there is some breakthrough here. :)

" I even guided him back to his room when I opened the playpen with treats and he went right to it without even looking at her." - WOW!!!!

It feels like we are having a major step forward. Terrific!!!! Continue what you are doing, it is working. :)
I do think we are slowly moving forward.
Small update from tonight. Brought Fluffy out again with just his harness and no leash. It took him a little bit to get fixated on his dinner as he wanted treats more. Had him chasing treats and even chasing a ball down the house while Sapphire watched from his cat tree. He came over a few times but I believe he was coming to me to ask for another treat as I was standing only a few feet from the tree incase I needed to step in and grab him. Definitely a positive experience. Then, out of the blue has Fluffy was coming to me for treats, Sapphire actually jumped down for her cat tree. It took Fluffy a split second to notice and I was able to step between them. He didn't run at her but he did get excited and start to move towards her, but I was able to stop him gently with my hand and pick him up (he was way too excited and there's no way he would have noticed a treat at that moment and I have the tiny little teeth marks on my arm to prove it). I moved him a few feet away and then threw a few treats into his room and threw a few for Sapphire and that was that as I wanted to end it positive. Overall the whole session was about five minutes, maybe a bit less.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think we are slowly moving forward.
Small update from tonight. Brought Fluffy out again with just his harness and no leash. It took him a little bit to get fixated on his dinner as he wanted treats more. Had him chasing treats and even chasing a ball down the house while Sapphire watched from his cat tree. He came over a few times but I believe he was coming to me to ask for another treat as I was standing only a few feet from the tree incase I needed to step in and grab him. Definitely a positive experience. Then, out of the blue has Fluffy was coming to me for treats, Sapphire actually jumped down for her cat tree. It took Fluffy a split second to notice and I was able to step between them. He didn't run at her but he did get excited and start to move towards her, but I was able to stop him gently with my hand and pick him up (he was way too excited and there's no way he would have noticed a treat at that moment and I have the tiny little teeth marks on my arm to prove it). I moved him a few feet away and then threw a few treats into his room and threw a few for Sapphire and that was that as I wanted to end it positive. Overall the whole session was about five minutes, maybe a bit less.
"I do think we are slowly moving forward." - Yes. There are usually steps forward, I do think we had one.

"Small update from tonight. Brought Fluffy out again with just his harness and no leash. It took him a little bit to get fixated on his dinner as he wanted treats more. Had him chasing treats and even chasing a ball down the house while Sapphire watched from his cat tree." - Great

" He came over a few times but I believe he was coming to me to ask for another treat as I was standing only a few feet from the tree incase I needed to step in and grab him. Definitely a positive experience." - Sounds terrific.

"Then, out of the blue has Fluffy was coming to me for treats, Sapphire actually jumped down for her cat tree." - Wow

" It took Fluffy a split second to notice and I was able to step between them." - Great, just be careful.

"He didn't run at her but he did get excited and start to move towards her, but I was able to stop him gently with my hand and pick him up (he was way too excited and there's no way he would have noticed a treat at that moment and I have the tiny little teeth marks on my arm to prove it)." - Ok, just be really careful reaching for him,, etc.

" I moved him a few feet away and then threw a few treats into his room and threw a few for Sapphire and that was that as I wanted to end it positive. " - Great!!!

"Overall the whole session was about five minutes, maybe a bit less. " - Perfect.

I think the progress is more significant that you may realize. The last bit always feels slow, etc but these are wonderful "breakthroughs".

Keep up the great work!!!

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I do think we are slowly moving forward." - Yes. There are usually steps forward, I do think we had one.

"Small update from tonight. Brought Fluffy out again with just his harness and no leash. It took him a little bit to get fixated on his dinner as he wanted treats more. Had him chasing treats and even chasing a ball down the house while Sapphire watched from his cat tree." - Great

" He came over a few times but I believe he was coming to me to ask for another treat as I was standing only a few feet from the tree incase I needed to step in and grab him. Definitely a positive experience." - Sounds terrific.

"Then, out of the blue has Fluffy was coming to me for treats, Sapphire actually jumped down for her cat tree." - Wow

" It took Fluffy a split second to notice and I was able to step between them." - Great, just be careful.

"He didn't run at her but he did get excited and start to move towards her, but I was able to stop him gently with my hand and pick him up (he was way too excited and there's no way he would have noticed a treat at that moment and I have the tiny little teeth marks on my arm to prove it)." - Ok, just be really careful reaching for him,, etc.

" I moved him a few feet away and then threw a few treats into his room and threw a few for Sapphire and that was that as I wanted to end it positive. " - Great!!!

"Overall the whole session was about five minutes, maybe a bit less. " - Perfect.

I think the progress is more significant that you may realize. The last bit always feels slow, etc but these are wonderful "breakthroughs".

Keep up the great work!!!
It was very similar this morning. I think that Sapphire may be starting to kind of accept him or may be getting enough confidence to hold her ground. I had him on his leash this morning for treats and she actually walked right to him without even needing a treat to get her over and I distracted them both with another treat. Fluffy raised his paw slowly but didn't do anything and then moved away for a treat and she didn't even flinch. I put him in his play pen and Sapphire went and sat about two feet away growling at him which was fine as she eventually stopped and then went back up her tree.

Instead of carrying Fluffy upstairs to my room, I led him out of the play pen and up the stairs to my room with bits of kibble and he followed perfectly not paying attention to Sapphire at all. My partner made sure that Sapphire could be caught if she did try and come down but all was good!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was very similar this morning. I think that Sapphire may be starting to kind of accept him or may be getting enough confidence to hold her ground. I had him on his leash this morning for treats and she actually walked right to him without even needing a treat to get her over and I distracted them both with another treat. Fluffy raised his paw slowly but didn't do anything and then moved away for a treat and she didn't even flinch. I put him in his play pen and Sapphire went and sat about two feet away growling at him which was fine as she eventually stopped and then went back up her tree.

Instead of carrying Fluffy upstairs to my room, I led him out of the play pen and up the stairs to my room with bits of kibble and he followed perfectly not paying attention to Sapphire at all. My partner made sure that Sapphire could be caught if she did try and come down but all was good!
"It was very similar this morning." - Great

" I think that Sapphire may be starting to kind of accept him or may be getting enough confidence to hold her ground." - Totally agree.

" I had him on his leash this morning for treats and she actually walked right to him without even needing a treat to get her over and I distracted them both with another treat." - PERFECT!!!

" Fluffy raised his paw slowly but didn't do anything and then moved away for a treat and she didn't even flinch." - FANTASTIC!!!!

" I put him in his play pen and Sapphire went and sat about two feet away growling at him which was fine as she eventually stopped and then went back up her tree." - AWESOME!!!

"Instead of carrying Fluffy upstairs to my room, I led him out of the play pen and up the stairs to my room with bits of kibble and he followed perfectly not paying attention to Sapphire at all." TERRIFIC!!!

"My partner made sure that Sapphire could be caught if she did try and come down but all was good! " - Great!!!

Well, I would say that is more progress!!! I feel like we passed a milestone!! Keep up the great work, reinforce it, etc. The progress is fantastic.

GREAT JOB!!!! :clap2:

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't really know if Sapphire is just getting more brave or if she is trying to instigate a response from Fluffy but something is definitely up. Having him out with just his harness and no leash seems to be going okay. Fluffy will still go for the treats and the odd time try and get closer to Sapphire. He went into is playpen this morning as the sealed side is close to the cat tree where she was. She came down but eventually went upstairs for a bit. I brought Fluffy up to his perch (with leash on), and Sapphire came down and jumped up on the couch right below him (hissing of course). I knew he would try and jump on her given the chance so I picked him up and brought him upstairs for his morning nap.

She seems to be getting more brave by the day but, I'm still doing my best to make sure that Fluffy doesn't get the chance to pounce.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that you're noticing Sapphire getting more brave. Kitten steps, but forward steps, nonetheless. :redheartpump:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know if Sapphire is just getting more brave or if she is trying to instigate a response from Fluffy but something is definitely up. Having him out with just his harness and no leash seems to be going okay. Fluffy will still go for the treats and the odd time try and get closer to Sapphire. He went into is playpen this morning as the sealed side is close to the cat tree where she was. She came down but eventually went upstairs for a bit. I brought Fluffy up to his perch (with leash on), and Sapphire came down and jumped up on the couch right below him (hissing of course). I knew he would try and jump on her given the chance so I picked him up and brought him upstairs for his morning nap.

She seems to be getting more brave by the day but, I'm still doing my best to make sure that Fluffy doesn't get the chance to pounce.
"I don't really know if Sapphire is just getting more brave or if she is trying to instigate a response from Fluffy but something is definitely up." - Agreed. Either way I would say it is very positive.

"Having him out with just his harness and no leash seems to be going okay." - Great

"Fluffy will still go for the treats and the odd time try and get closer to Sapphire." - Awwwwwwwww

" He went into is playpen this morning as the sealed side is close to the cat tree where she was." - Awwwwwww

" She came down but eventually went upstairs for a bit." - That is totally fine

" I brought Fluffy up to his perch (with leash on), and Sapphire came down and jumped up on the couch right below him (hissing of course)." - Wow. GREAT job Sapphire!!! The hiss is just a "don't even think about trying anything". If he behaves it is hugely positive.

"I knew he would try and jump on her given the chance so I picked him up and brought him upstairs for his morning nap." - Ok. Did he give an indication he was going to? Could you distract him with words? How was she acting before you picked him up?

"She seems to be getting more brave by the day" - AGREED!!! :)

" but, I'm still doing my best to make sure that Fluffy doesn't get the chance to pounce." - Yes, that is great. We want to balance giving them leeway and trying to avoid or minimize a negative. So just do your best on that (I know it is hard).

Keep up the great work!!! Another great update!!! :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I don't really know if Sapphire is just getting more brave or if she is trying to instigate a response from Fluffy but something is definitely up." - Agreed. Either way I would say it is very positive.

"Having him out with just his harness and no leash seems to be going okay." - Great

"Fluffy will still go for the treats and the odd time try and get closer to Sapphire." - Awwwwwwwww

" He went into is playpen this morning as the sealed side is close to the cat tree where she was." - Awwwwwww

" She came down but eventually went upstairs for a bit." - That is totally fine

" I brought Fluffy up to his perch (with leash on), and Sapphire came down and jumped up on the couch right below him (hissing of course)." - Wow. GREAT job Sapphire!!! The hiss is just a "don't even think about trying anything". If he behaves it is hugely positive.

"I knew he would try and jump on her given the chance so I picked him up and brought him upstairs for his morning nap." - Ok. Did he give an indication he was going to? Could you distract him with words? How was she acting before you picked him up?

"She seems to be getting more brave by the day" - AGREED!!! :)

" but, I'm still doing my best to make sure that Fluffy doesn't get the chance to pounce." - Yes, that is great. We want to balance giving them leeway and trying to avoid or minimize a negative. So just do your best on that (I know it is hard).

Keep up the great work!!! Another great update!!! :)
To answer your question, as she jumped up and started hissing at him, he started wagging his tail fast, and started to stand up which I recognize as him about to jump down. I definitely wanted to catch him before he could and didn't even think to try and calm him down as he can be fast as lightning when he wants to be, especially when he gets excited haha.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer your question, as she jumped up and started hissing at him, he started wagging his tail fast, and started to stand up which I recognize as him about to jump down. I definitely wanted to catch him before he could and didn't even think to try and calm him down as he can be fast as lightning when he wants to be, especially when he gets excited haha.
Did he look like he wanted to play?

Yeah, understandable. They sure can be fast.

How did they both act after that? I am guessing they were fine?

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did he look like he wanted to play?

Yeah, understandable. They sure can be fast.

How did they both act after that? I am guessing they were fine?
Yup he looked excited and playful haha.
They were both fine. I managed to pick him up and put him on the floor before he could do anything.
I kept him on his leash and guided him upstairs to his room while Sapphire went back up her tree (he took a slight detour into her room but I think it's because he smelled her breakfast in her bowl haha). Five minutes later they were paws-ing at the gate which actually seemed somewhat less frantic than usual.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup he looked excited and playful haha.
They were both fine. I managed to pick him up and put him on the floor before he could do anything.
I kept him on his leash and guided him upstairs to his room while Sapphire went back up her tree (he took a slight detour into her room but I think it's because he smelled her breakfast in her bowl haha). Five minutes later they were paws-ing at the gate which actually seemed somewhat less frantic than usual.
"Yup he looked excited and playful haha." - Awwwwww. At some point in the future we will have to try to let them play a bit.

"They were both fine." - Great

" I managed to pick him up and put him on the floor before he could do anything." - Was she gone already when you put him on the floor?

"I kept him on his leash and guided him upstairs to his room" - Great

" while Sapphire went back up her tree" - Answered my question. THAT is great!!

" (he took a slight detour into her room but I think it's because he smelled her breakfast in her bowl haha)." - Awwwwwwww

" Five minutes later they were paws-ing at the gate which actually seemed somewhat less frantic than usual." GREAT!!!

I think we are getting close to letting them more interactions.:)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Yup he looked excited and playful haha." - Awwwwww. At some point in the future we will have to try to let them play a bit.

"They were both fine." - Great

" I managed to pick him up and put him on the floor before he could do anything." - Was she gone already when you put him on the floor?

"I kept him on his leash and guided him upstairs to his room" - Great

" while Sapphire went back up her tree" - Answered my question. THAT is great!!

" (he took a slight detour into her room but I think it's because he smelled her breakfast in her bowl haha)." - Awwwwwwww

" Five minutes later they were paws-ing at the gate which actually seemed somewhat less frantic than usual." GREAT!!!

I think we are getting close to letting them more interactions.:)
I will keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully things keep to improve :)

No major updates. Last night was the same as usual. Sapphire up on her tree and Fluffy on the ground chasing treats before he went into his play pen to try and get closer to the cat tree.

This morning, Sapphire seemed in a mood. I had Fluffy on his leash and she came down for treats but was extra hissy/growly, and was cautious when she was walking by the play pen with Fluffy inside. I'm thinking she was just tired as I'm pretty sure I woke her up when I woke up this morning.

Edit: I just saw them touching nose through the gates with no hissing (or a very small one) and no pawing so I guess they're both in a good mood.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully things keep to improve :)

No major updates. Last night was the same as usual. Sapphire up on her tree and Fluffy on the ground chasing treats before he went into his play pen to try and get closer to the cat tree.

This morning, Sapphire seemed in a mood. I had Fluffy on his leash and she came down for treats but was extra hissy/growly, and was cautious when she was walking by the play pen with Fluffy inside. I'm thinking she was just tired as I'm pretty sure I woke her up when I woke up this morning.

Edit: I just saw them touching nose through the gates with no hissing (or a very small one) and no pawing so I guess they're both in a good mood.
"I will keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully things keep to improve :)" - Great. They will continue improving though it might be slower and more halting since they are so far along in the process.

"No major updates. Last night was the same as usual. Sapphire up on her tree and Fluffy on the ground chasing treats before he went into his play pen to try and get closer to the cat tree." - Great!!!

"This morning, Sapphire seemed in a mood. I had Fluffy on his leash and she came down for treats but was extra hissy/growly, and was cautious when she was walking by the play pen with Fluffy inside. I'm thinking she was just tired as I'm pretty sure I woke her up when I woke up this morning." - Ok, if that is as bad as we get that is fantastic!!

"Edit: I just saw them touching nose through the gates with no hissing (or a very small one) and no pawing so I guess they're both in a good mood. " - Awwwwwwwwww :hyper: :clap2: Yep, they are going to be just fine. :)

Keep up the great work!! We are getting VERY close!!!! :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I will keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully things keep to improve :)" - Great. They will continue improving though it might be slower and more halting since they are so far along in the process.

"No major updates. Last night was the same as usual. Sapphire up on her tree and Fluffy on the ground chasing treats before he went into his play pen to try and get closer to the cat tree." - Great!!!

"This morning, Sapphire seemed in a mood. I had Fluffy on his leash and she came down for treats but was extra hissy/growly, and was cautious when she was walking by the play pen with Fluffy inside. I'm thinking she was just tired as I'm pretty sure I woke her up when I woke up this morning." - Ok, if that is as bad as we get that is fantastic!!

"Edit: I just saw them touching nose through the gates with no hissing (or a very small one) and no pawing so I guess they're both in a good mood. " - Awwwwwwwwww :hyper: :clap2: Yep, they are going to be just fine. :)

Keep up the great work!! We are getting VERY close!!!! :)
I wanted to add that this morning, things were going as usual. Fluffy was in his play pen and took a small run at Sapphire as she walked by which he does from time to time, but a few minutes latershe was sitting beside him with no problems. Then as I let Fluffy out and was using kibble to guide him upstairs to my bedroom, Sapphire jumped down right in his path. He didn't run at her but he did get excited and start to move towards her. I was able to distract him with kibble no problem however and eventually I picked him up and brought him upstairs. I didn't want to risk an altercation as he still had his harness on and I was worried that claws could potentially get caught in the fabric if it got to that, but I was surprised that it went as well as it did.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add that this morning, things were going as usual. Fluffy was in his play pen and took a small run at Sapphire as she walked by which he does from time to time, but a few minutes latershe was sitting beside him with no problems. Then as I let Fluffy out and was using kibble to guide him upstairs to my bedroom, Sapphire jumped down right in his path. He didn't run at her but he did get excited and start to move towards her. I was able to distract him with kibble no problem however and eventually I picked him up and brought him upstairs. I didn't want to risk an altercation as he still had his harness on and I was worried that claws could potentially get caught in the fabric if it got to that, but I was surprised that it went as well as it did.
"I wanted to add that this morning, things were going as usual." - Ok

" Fluffy was in his play pen and took a small run at Sapphire as she walked by which he does from time to time," - That is expected, normal, fine.

" but a few minutes latershe was sitting beside him with no problems." - Awwwwww, perfect. She is learning to trust him.

"Then as I let Fluffy out and was using kibble to guide him upstairs to my bedroom, Sapphire jumped down right in his path." - WOW!!! GREAT!!! She is gaining confidence. Did she seem to want to play or just make sure he knows who is in charge?

" He didn't run at her but he did get excited and start to move towards her.' - Great. That is fantastic. A sign they are definitely trusting each other, getting along, understanding each other.

"I was able to distract him with kibble no problem however" - Great

" and eventually I picked him up and brought him upstairs." - Ok

" I didn't want to risk an altercation as he still had his harness on and I was worried that claws could potentially get caught in the fabric if it got to that, " - Understandable.

"but I was surprised that it went as well as it did." - Amazing. I knew they were doing great but this is a wonderful sign of how far they are along.

Keep up the great work. If all goes well maybe next weekend we'll go the next step. Feed them together on the floor, no barrier, no leash. :) Start preparing your courage. ;) Exciting!!!

GREAT job!!! :clap2: :purr:

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I wanted to add that this morning, things were going as usual." - Ok

" Fluffy was in his play pen and took a small run at Sapphire as she walked by which he does from time to time," - That is expected, normal, fine.

" but a few minutes latershe was sitting beside him with no problems." - Awwwwww, perfect. She is learning to trust him.

"Then as I let Fluffy out and was using kibble to guide him upstairs to my bedroom, Sapphire jumped down right in his path." - WOW!!! GREAT!!! She is gaining confidence. Did she seem to want to play or just make sure he knows who is in charge?

" He didn't run at her but he did get excited and start to move towards her.' - Great. That is fantastic. A sign they are definitely trusting each other, getting along, understanding each other.

"I was able to distract him with kibble no problem however" - Great

" and eventually I picked him up and brought him upstairs." - Ok

" I didn't want to risk an altercation as he still had his harness on and I was worried that claws could potentially get caught in the fabric if it got to that, " - Understandable.

"but I was surprised that it went as well as it did." - Amazing. I knew they were doing great but this is a wonderful sign of how far they are along.

Keep up the great work. If all goes well maybe next weekend we'll go the next step. Feed them together on the floor, no barrier, no leash. :) Start preparing your courage. ;) Exciting!!!

GREAT job!!! :clap2: :purr:
I honesty think she jumped down because she thought I was throwing treats for them and then realized it was kibble and was like yuck I don't want that.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honesty think she jumped down because she thought I was throwing treats for them and then realized it was kibble and was like yuck I don't want that.
Hahahahaha, too funny!!!!

That is actually really good. Exactly what we want. Thinking of something (potentially - ;)) good rather than how scary that other cat is.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another small attempted chase this morning. I was giving them treats as normal with Fluffy's leash on and they were eating treats pretty close together and calm.Fluffy went to sniff Sapphire and she hissed at him and started to swat at him and of course he got excited and tried to jump on her. She backed up hissing and growling, really low to the ground, ears back, etc. Fluffy would not relent and kept trying to go for her and she took off to her room upstairs and he tried to chase after her. I went upstairs and gave her plenty of love (though I could tell she wanted to be left alone after a bit because she would let out this half meow half growl to me). She remained up there and didn't come back down and gave Fluffy a hiss from afar when I brought him up to my room.