Hello to all my new cat-loving friends!

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just joined today and I can tell I've found my home. As a person who only had dogs as pets my entire life, owning a cat is a new and exciting turn of events. Cats are wonderful, but I need a place for help and advice, and The Cat Site is it!! I live in Tennessee. I got involved in the cat world when our neighborhood became overrun with stray and feral cats. An apartment building was demolished 8 years ago and the residents left their cats behind. About 5 years ago I started to trap, spay/neuter, vaccinate and return the cats to the neighborhood. We have not had any kittens born in the past 3 years, and other strays/ferals rarely come into the neighborhood. So we now have a very stable group of about 25 adult cats, looked after by 6 neighbors. 8 of these cats live at my house. One is still very wild, only coming out of hiding to eat, but most have become quite friendly. One of the sweetest was recently caught by a big dog. The cat barely survived and is now living in my den. HELP!!! I am learning how to be a cat-mommy and I need all the advice I can get. My first post, which was earlier today, was answered by wonderful, helpful site members and I appreciate it more than you can know. I look forward to my cat journey and I feel much more confident now that I have found a site for help. Thank you!
Betty

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, darlin! Welcome to the family of animal lovers. First thing- DO NOT EVER DECLAW YOUR KITTY! They’re going to scratch furniture , you, everything. This is natural. Either get cheap furniture and live with the scratches, or teach them alternative things to scratch. Declawing a cat is like if you cut off three inches of your finger, including the nail. It’s painful, not to mention humiliating for your kitty. In terms of diet, all wet foods make my cats sick, so I’ve found a dry food they absolutely love. Try Meow Mix. Cats seem to go crazy for it. Mine also love Friskies treats. Toys- hair bows, boxes, catnip mice and brown paper bags made out of Catnip.Don’t leave the wand toy out if you get it, it can hurt them. Get a laser pointer, it’s the most fun you’ll ever have. Let them ‘catch’ it by placing a treat inside the red dot. As for sleeping arrangements, my oldest cats have their own ‘bedroom’ at night, and they seem to love it. Don’t be alarmed if they sleep a lo. They’re cats, it’s what they do. Play with them, love them. They’ll love you back. We leave our food bowl out 24/7, they eat when they’re hungry or when I take some out and hand it to them. Same with water. I scoop the litter box every other da, change it the fifteenth of every month. This schedule seems to work for my cats. Don’t get mad if they go outside the box. I’m usually just happy they’re not constipated, no matter where they go. If they meow while playin, praise them, they think they’ve caught you a wonderful meal, or they’re just happy to be with you. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! What a great treasure of information! Thank you so much. Don't worry, I would never declaw a cat. I have railed against the mutilation of dogs for years, clipping their ears, tails, etc. for cosmetic reasons only. I'm going to get one of those laser lights. I'm sure as soon as Sammy stops hiding under the couch he'll love to play. He has the cutest personality! Thank you for your post.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
afacd132c529eacb77ece9123a8eb190.gif
to you and all you kitties and one behalf of There Catsite community, a warm
a46377e59d67d998304b4860c4348255.jpg
to all of you.

Thank you for taking care of the neighborhood kitties and of course the one that you took home to nurse. :clapcat: Do post photos of Sammy for us to see! :camera::camera::camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A BIG welcome to you, to Sammy, and to your colony as well! We're just a bit thrilled when we hear that someone is responsibly caring for ferals and abandoned cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Thank you so much for sharing the care of the feral colony, and for bringing in the kitty who was injured into your home. I see you're started a thread about him, and see his name is Sammy. Good luck with him. I think in time, he'll become a lovely house cat. :catlove:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: What a wonderful introduction and thank you for all your efforts regarding the ferals. Please take your time looking around on the site and reading all the helpful resources. I'm sure Sammy will appreciate it too.:catlove:

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! What a great treasure of information! Thank you so much. Don't worry, I would never declaw a cat. I have railed against the mutilation of dogs for years, clipping their ears, tails, etc. for cosmetic reasons only. I'm going to get one of those laser lights. I'm sure as soon as Sammy stops hiding under the couch he'll love to play. He has the cutest personality! Thank you for your post.
You’re welcome, sunshine 🌼🐈⬛🌸

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I’m not on much, by the way. I’m usually busy cleaning or playing with my kitties, or just snuggling with them. Or I’m on bored panda.