Hello everyone!

Fion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Spain and moved here last August. There are quite a few feral cats around here. One cat, A Siamese tom cat took a shine to me and was very friendly from the outset, wanting to be stroked and wrapping himself around my legs. This led me to believe maybe he was a stray or semi-feral cat as opposed to a complete feral. He was painfully thin even though I know Siamese cats are slim. There is no TNR programme in this area of Spain, I enquired with a few vets.

Anyway, after giving him some spot on flea and wormer from the vets, which he allowed me to do no trouble, I decided to trap this boy, luring him into a cat carrier with some sardine. He wasn’t happy but calmed once I quickly got a blanket over the carrier. I took him home and kept him in the wood shed (which had a reinforced window), until I could get him to the vets a few days later. I also wanted to make sure he was healthy before bringing him into the house as we have another domestic cat we brought with us from the UK.

He was quite happy in the shed and allowed me to continue petting him and feeding him. He didn’t know how to play though.

Getting him back in the cat carrier to get him to the vets was traumatic to say the least. I tried with a blanket to scoop him up but he was so strong he slipped out. I was really surprised by his strength. My husband tried and this cat was scaling the wall vertically to get away. On the third attempt, he was smothered with a thick sheet and gently scooped into the carrier.

He was checked over by the vet under anaesthesia, who informed me he wasn’t microchipped. He was neutered, vaccinated, the works. The vet told me he was a healthy cat and his tests for leukemia and feline immunodeficiency were negative. We brought him home to a catified room of his own. It only took him about two weeks to trust me again (just about!) I read to him, talked to him, bought a Feliway plug in, gave him some calming cat herbs, played him harp music and basically nurtured him to trust me again. He now allows me to stroke him again and is actually playing with toys!!

My questions… (sorry if I went on too long but I wanted to put you totally in the picture)… is he feral, semi-feral or stray and more importantly – HOW do I get him back in the cat carrier to take him back to the vets for his second and final vaccine and without losing his trust all over again.

Today, I put the cat carrier back in his room with a towel over it and his blanket from his bed in the cat carrier. I am hoping he will start to use this as his bed over the next few days (I removed the card board box he was using). He also has a cat tepee which he uses sometimes but preferred sleeping in the box. Usually, he slinks into his bed when startled or after he’s had enough stroking. I’m thinking if his bed is now the carrier I could trap him that way. It feels very unfair though and I am worried I will lose his trust for good this time (although he wont be a s sore as he was after being neutered).

Any advise would be appreciated.

Update:

This lad is called Quince (or Membrillo (mem – bree – oh) in Spanish because his coat is kind of pale yellow in parts and reminds me of the Membrillo tree that was dying when we arrived in our new Spanish house, but after some severe pruning and TLC appears to have bounced back with fruit growing on it.

Anyway, having put the cat carrier in his room as a bed, he was in there first thing this morning but he’s an intelligent cat and knows somethings up as he’s not coming up to me again. He doesn’t need to go to the vets for a few days yet so we’ll see how it goes.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
3d4a7fca5a901077faa7d23e16e6e300.gif
Fion and Quince, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
466f4623def706fa575eaa72cf453934.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for rescuing Quince and for giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out his life. If you can, do show us photos of him for us to see. :camera::camera::camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! You can see how thin he looks at the moment in my profile picture. Although his fur is starting to get much softer and he's gained a little weight already.
One day, not for a long time yet I know, my prayer is that both Millie, our short-haired Tabby we brought all the way from the UK to live with us here in Spain and the new boy, Quince, will be in this photo together!! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With a front load carrier, I always found it easier to grab the cat by the skin on the back of the neck, support his bottom and LOWER him into the carrier that I have propped up or have someone hold with the door straight up. He will still struggle, but gravity is against him. i have a side load carrier now that the whole side lowers down. It is much easier too, by the time they figure out what you are doing they are in! PS, by the way, he is NOT feral, but a stray, or maybe born outside but used to humans. Ferals are silent, and do anything they can to not be seen by humans. They are truly wild.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With a front load carrier, I always found it easier to grab the cat by the skin on the back of the neck, support his bottom and LOWER him into the carrier that I have propped up or have someone hold with the door straight up. He will still struggle, but gravity is against him. i have a side load carrier now that the whole side lowers down. It is much easier too, by the time they figure out what you are doing they are in! PS, by the way, he is NOT feral, but a stray, or maybe born outside but used to humans. Ferals are silent, and do anything they can to not be seen by humans. They are truly wild.
Thank you, but this boy is so unbelievably strong. He may not look like it in the picture but he is solid muscle when he needs to be! When I last tried to get him in using a blanket he was ferocious and as I mentioned, scaled the wall vertically (Spanish breeze blocks), to getaway. It was fight or flight and he wanted to get out of there! He thumped his head on the ceiling about three times and I cannot let that happen again. My husband managed to get him eventually but not without a nasty scratch and a subsequent visit to the health center for a tetanus.
I have contacted the vet and tried to explain (again) the situation. I am learning Spanish but don't speak that much at the moment so it is difficult. I have asked the vet if there is anything I can give him at home to sedate him enough to make it less stressful for him and us! The herbal tablets and Felliway are good but not enough because he recalls what happened. It is so sad that I have gained his trust but will lose it again especially if it's a traumatic experience.
Truth be told, I am anxious about having to do this. Maybe I should purchase a cat trap and put it in his room?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that you really can't hold a cat that is trying to escape. Grabbing them by the skin on the back of the neck instinctively quiets them. You have to be quick though. Hoisting them up while supporting their rearis the only way I have found to move a cat that doesn't want to.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome! I'd say there is a fair chance that your boy is, if I remember conditions in Spain correctly, a true feral. The streets cats in many foreign countries are very different that the ones in the US and the UK. In the more Mediterranean countries and some middle eastern countries, street cats are routinely cared for by many members of the communities, and are not nearly as fearful as ours are.