Foster Cat Had Her Kittens This Am!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is mama doing? Is she eating up a storm? I know everyone weighs the babies daily, but did you weigh the mama before she gave birth to see how much she gained?
Unfortunately I don't have a scale big enough for mommy, but she is eating a TON. 4-6 small cans of wet food a day, plus dry food I leave out, plus the occasional saucer of KMR. She looks good and healthy!

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I knew momma cats needed a lot more food, but 4-6 cans of food is amazing! :jawdrop: You do mean the 3 ounce cans, not 5.5 ounce? Does the shelter pay for food when you foster?
The food she likes is only 2.75oz per can, so yeah, it's not a crazy amount! The ONLY wet food I have been reliably able to get her to eat is this gross Meow Mix fishy stuff that comes in little plastic cups (it *is* a nutritionally complete cat meal, not a "treat," thank goodness). She likes the salmon and tuna flavors. Everything else I have tried - and I have tried a lot (Fancy Feast, Blue Buffalo, Authority, Science Diet, Wellness, fresh cooked plain chicken that I made myself, canned tuna) - she turns her nose up at. I guess she just loves her junk food. It's the same way with dry food. Meow Mix or Friskies are all she'll eat. Luckily now I have her tricked into eating a 50/50 mix of Friskies and Blue Buffalo Kitten in her kibble bowl. :biggrin: I add KMR to her wet food to make sure she's getting adequate nutrition for the little ones. But I'm just glad she's eating. I just ordered 4 12-packs of the stuff on Chewy.com, so needless to say we are going through it real fast!! :crackup:

The rescue I volunteer for did provide me with some food, but it was all stuff she wouldn't eat. If the kittens don't eat it once they're older I'll just give it back or save it for my next "batch" of fosters. Honestly though, I don't mind buying the food myself. My husband and I are fortunate to be financially comfortable, and we have also chosen not to have children, so this is our labor of love. Money at the rescue is always stretched thin so I would rather their resources go to the people who really need them. :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always provided food for my foster cats too, and never really thought to ask them otherwise, but I never had a momma and a whole litter either! That's a bunch of food! It's a wonderful thing you're doing and I know how rewarding it is. :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Do nursing mama cats get the zoomies, or is it mostly just laying there nursing, using the litter box, eating, sleeping & grooming the kittens?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do nursing mama cats get the zoomies, or is it mostly just laying there nursing, using the litter box, eating, sleeping & grooming the kittens?
She doesn't zip around quite the way she used to, but she still is energetic considering the circumstances! She gets very excited when she hears my husband or myself walking up the stairs, so when we open the door to the "foster room" she often has run out of the nest to greet us and sometimes she even zips out into the hallway! But for the most part, she is nursing, grooming, and sleeping with the kittens. Occasionally I'll see her walk to just beyond the nest and lay down there - kind of like "okay, from here I can still see my babies, but I need to catch a break!" :crackup: Poor girl is working so hard.

When she is away from the nest, the instant she hears a baby crying, she comes running back. It really is so beautiful to watch.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
#1 had another low gain day - only 5g from yesterday at 6pm to today. So after dinner I am going to attempt to supplement him. I have my miracle nipples now, so hopefully it will go well - wish me luck!! :)

So proud of my "runts." One went from 116 to 133, and the other went from 123 to 137! Almost time to stop calling them runts. ;)

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even with the miracle nipple and a syringe, and after watching countless tutorials, I just couldn't get him to accept the formula. He completely refused the nipple. I was terrified of forcing it and him aspirating. I am going to hope that he has another good gain tonight and will keep facilitating his nursing. I feel like such a failure!:(

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even with the miracle nipple and a syringe, and after watching countless tutorials, I just couldn't get him to accept the formula. He completely refused the nipple. I was terrified of forcing it and him aspirating. I am going to hope that he has another good gain tonight and will keep facilitating his nursing. I feel like such a failure!:(
Dont beat yourself up. It is often very difficult to bottle/syringe feed kittens with a nursing mother.

It is good that you are going to facilitate his nursing to make sure he gets enough. :)

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed something else about #1 that has me really worried. His back right paw is very swollen and reddish. It's about 1.5 times the size of the normal paw. I'm not sure how long it's been like this; I've only just noticed it now. I'm going to call the vet first thing in the morning to ask what they recommend. I did a little bit of googling and for now I have simply cleaned it with a soft cloth in warm clean water and am keeping an eye on it. But needless to say, I'm worried sick and I doubt I'll be sleeping tonight. Has anyone else had experience with anything similar?

Here is the best photo I could get; sorry that it's not great. I didn't want to stress him out or cause him pain.

IMG_7030.JPG

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he have a cut on the foot? It could be infected.
There aren't any open wounds, and there is no liquid of any kind (blood, pus) coming out. But there is a red spot on the inside (I'm sorry - I could not get a photo without agitating him and I did not want to cause pain or exacerbate the situation) of the lower leg that almost looks like an abscess that has scabbed over.

My husband actually is a physician which I realize is vastly different from a veterinary doctor, but he said that the lack of any bleeding or oozing is encouraging and that the swelling might go down on its own.

Nevertheless, I'm worried sick.

My plan is to call tomorrow AM to see if my vet - who I have a great relationship with (and I have surely given them a lot of business over the years, lol) will let me text or email them some photos of the affected area and advise me on what needs to be done from here - whether that's antibiotics or simply keeping it clean and keeping a watchful eye on it.

The limb is warm so there is circulation and he seems to be putting weight on it when he bobbles around. Hard to say whether he's crawling funny because they're obviously all very shaky little crawlers right now.

I'm a worrier by nature so I just know I'll be waking up every hour terrified I'll find my poor little baby has passed away before I have a chance to do anything about it. :(:(

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As I write this I am unable to stop crying. We lost poor kitten this morning. His leg had worsened overnight and was black and blue in spots; he also had lost a few grams. I took him (and mama and sibs, naturally) to my vet as soon as they opened. They said the leg appeared to actually be broken - this could have even happened during delivery - and it had become infected and spread to the thigh and groin area. Because he's too young for painkillers or to go under anesthesia, the only other option I had was to have the vet give him a small dose of antibiotics and then take him home and continue to try bottle feeding. But without pain meds (again, too young), his desire to eat was only expected to decline so there was a very good chance that I would have to watch him die slowly, in pain, and in starvation. The vet strongly recommended euthanasia and after talking with my volunteer coordinator I decided that that was the most ethical way to go for this poor little soul.

I named him Sesame so that he wouldn't die without a name. He passed peacefully in my arms. I am beyond heartbroken. How do you cope with losing something so small, sweet, and innocent that never even had a chance? I'm a mess.

RIP sweet little Sesame.

IMG_7042.JPG

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry the read of the passing of sweet little Sesame. :( His short life was not in vain thanks to you sharing him with us through words and photos. Such a dear little soul. My heart aches with you and for your loss.
:grouphug2:

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry the read of the passing of sweet little Sesame. :( His short life was not in vain thanks to you sharing him with us through words and photos. Such a dear little soul. My heart aches with you and for your loss.
:grouphug2:
Thank you so much. I'm going to just let myself grieve today.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to hear about poor little Sesame. I've never had kittens in my home, but from reading this site it does seem like there is often sorrow mixed in with all the joy. My condolences to you and may Sesame's mama and siblings be a comfort for you.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to hear about poor little Sesame. I've never had kittens in my home, but from reading this site it does seem like there is often sorrow mixed in with all the joy. My condolences to you and may Sesame's mama and siblings be a comfort for you.
Yes, I had prepared myself for the worst after reading so many threads on this forum. But after the birth seemed to go so well, I assumed we were mostly out of the danger zone, which was foolish of course. I am still glad I had the opportunity to know him and make his short time on this earth warm and comfortable. Thank you for the kind words. Mama and her babies are definitely my therapy today.

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, so sorry to hear about Sesame :'( Kittens are so fragile, you did your very best and sometimes it's just not meant to be. I lost a whole litter of kittens once and it was so heartbreaking, I know your pain. Sending good vibes that the rest of the kittens continue to grow healthy and happily, mama too! :vibes: