Foster Cat Had Her Kittens This Am!

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted a previous thread about my pregnant foster not eating. Since then she has gotten so much better and this morning finally gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens, two weeks later than the vet guessed she would!

We checked on her just past midnight before going to bed last night and nothing had changed. This morning around 6 we awoke to chirping and lo and behold she had already birthed and cleaned all 5. She is doing a wonderful job and being a doting, caring mommy.

I have weighed all 5 and as of an hour ago their weights are:

1. 108g
2. 113g
3. 110g
4. 97g
5. 95g

The last two are obviously the tiniest so I'm watching them closely. They actually have gained since their initial weigh in this morning (they weighed only 82g this AM) so I am hoping they continue to gain. If not I will supplement.

Here are some photos!!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! That makes me want to foster a pregnant cat someday! In the future. When I have more than a one bedroom apartment.

Glad it all went well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are just too precious for words! Thank you for fostering and taking care of them. :clapcat:

I've always had my cats spayed/neutered, but it would be a wonderful experience to foster a momma and babies just once in my life.
Same here; we have always been a spay/neuter family, but fostering a pregnant kitty in need has been a real joy. I would absolutely recommend it!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gaining 13 grammed during day 1 is much, so I suspect some false result. Either the first or the second one...

IF its the first, and their birthing weigh is about 95 grammes, its not bad. 82 is acceptable too, but of course necessary to watch out as the siblings are bigger.

"The guarded is protected by God Himself" as the proverb says, so very good you are vigilant. :)

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gaining 13 grammed during day 1 is much, so I suspect some false result. Either the first or the second one...

IF its the first, and their birthing weigh is about 95 grammes, its not bad. 82 is acceptable too, but of course necessary to watch out as the siblings are bigger.

"The guarded is protected by God Himself" as the proverb says, so very good you are vigilant. :)
Yes it's possible that I made an error using the scale the first time around. I am going to weigh them again this evening.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two little ones are stuck at 99 and 97 grams. They are currently nursing. I tried to supplement with a bottle but I clearly don't know what I'm doing because they wouldn't suckle at all, not even close. I have a syringe but I'm concerned about choking. Any suggestions?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy it helped! Looking forward to hearing that you've fattened those babies up!! :p

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Miracle nipples are literally a god send! They are beautiful! They don't normally gain too much the first day so I wouldn't be too worried about them just yet! Also most kittens wont take a bottle if they have a momma, syringing with a miracle nipple is the best! Good luck with these guys!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if you use syringe try it out at first - so you are sure you handle it nicely.
You can also try a little sponge, of the type of make up sponge. You drench the sponge with goats milk or KMR, the kitten suckles on it. You drop on more with a syringe...
You can even try to smear of some of mommas milk on the sponge.

As said above, kittens whom have momma are often extra reluctant to bottle, so using a syringe is common.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. The miracle nipples aren't arriving until Wednesday so hopefully they can be okay until then. I might try again with the bottle or plain syringe if I have to.

As of this morning both little runts have gained 4g since their last weigh-in (which was at 6:30pm last night), putting them at 101g and 103. Not a huge gain but certainly better than nothing!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! Be sure they are undisturbed when they suckle. If necessary rotate them, the two smallest alone, the others sleeping, and vice versa.
Perhaps make an extra little nest with a heating pad, for this midday nap for the Watch off duty.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights as such are good, they should be more than enough normally speaking.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good! Be sure they are undisturbed when they suckle. If necessary rotate them, the two smallest alone, the others sleeping, and vice versa.
Perhaps make an extra little nest with a heating pad, for this midday nap for the Watch off duty.
Yes both of the littles seem to really strongly favor one specific nipple. The smallest one has a hard time latching but once he/she gets going will suckle as long as possible. I try to wait for opportunities while the others are asleep to set them up to nurse solo. The one patch tabby in the litter, who looks just like mama, is enormous compared to his sibs at now over 130g. He totally bulldozes over the little ones for their nipple if I don't keep an eye on him. There's always a pushy sibling! :lol:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be better off rotating them for now. Any supplementing has the risk of aspirating formula, which won’t happen when they nurse from Mom.

Try to do exactly as you are doing and give the little ones extra nipple time. You can try taking the bigger kittens out for 2 hours at a time and putting them in a alternative nest with a heating pad on low.

They are gaining an appropriate amount right now, though. Don’t supplement unless you need to.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous! What's mama's name? Do you know if this is her first litter?