Foster Cat Had Her Kittens This Am!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I fed my cat in the nest or next to it for weeks. It helps mom out.

It will be okay. Mom will feel better soon!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fed my cat in the nest or next to it for weeks. It helps mom out.

It will be okay. Mom will feel better after #5 is out! Not much longer.
I'm sorry, I think you may have misunderstood. Mommy gave birth on Sunday AM but sadly we lost one today (1 of 5). So that's what I've been referring to.

I did have her food just outside of the nest but now she wants it right where she nurses. I've been holding her plate for her so she can reach it during nursing but without the kittens risking getting into it. Whatever it takes to keep her healthy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I apologize. I confused you with another member who is waiting on a 5th kitten to be born.

Sorry for your loss - very sad.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I apologize. I confused you with another member who is waiting on a 5th kitten to be born.

Sorry for your loss - very sad.
No worries at all. There is a lot going on on this forum to keep straight! Thank you for your condolences.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The rest of the litter is thriving, which is really the only thing cheering me up right now.

1/11 @ 8am:
2. 183
3. 142
4. 153
5. 138

1/12 @ 8am:
2. 198 (holy smokes!)
3. 157
4. 168
5. 149

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
2 is the one you think may be from another father? Have his/her eyes stayed open? Is he/she walking better than the others?

Did the mama have the opportunity to see Sesame at the vet after Sesame passed?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 is the one you think may be from another father? Have his/her eyes stayed open? Is he/she walking better than the others?

Did the mama have the opportunity to see Sesame at the vet after Sesame passed?
Yes, #2 is the one we think may be from another daddy. He is also the only one who looks like mom, the rest are black & white! One of his eyes has stayed open and yes, he's fairly mobile! Not quite walking but certainly a stronger crawler than his sibs.

I had mom next to me while I held Sesame on my lap after they gave him the injection and we waited together for him to pass. Thinking of it still makes me cry. :(

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping you guys can calm my mind. #2, my kitten who is leaps and bounds bigger than his sibs, only gained 5g since yesterday AM. Previously he had been gaining about 15g a day. Is this cause for concern? Not that I'm not already concerned. :/

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No cause for concern. Kittens have little growth plateaus, then growth spurts again - just like children! All sounds well! :)
Thank you so much. I am such a worrier, especially after what happened with little Sesame. I really appreciate the reassurance. :)

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights have been stagnant. Nobody has gained yet today. I'm a nervous wreck. Mom seems to be out of the nest more than she used to be. :(

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Is mom still eating a lot? Can you tell if she's still producing milk?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is mom still eating a lot? Can you tell if she's still producing milk?
She is still eating a good amount (went through 2.5 cans of food so far today), and I am pretty sure she is still producing milk because kits were nursing this morning. Unfortunately I've been at work today so my husband is on weighing duty, so I can't check for myself at the moment to see for certain whether she has milk. I will when I get home, though.

My husband tried to bottle feed and mom got extremely anxious and kept coming to take the kitten back to the nest. I hate causing her and the baby stress. I just don't know what to do. :(

As of 2:30pm, 3 of them had gained 3 grams since this morning, while the other two have stayed stagnant. Very concerned since I haven't been able to get any of them to accept a bottle or syringe even with a miracle nipple. I refuse to give up though. I will try again when I get home.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm beyond worried now. Mom isn't laying with kittens much, and when she does, they don't seem interested in nursing. They're just sleeping a lot. I have tried a bottle and a syringe (with and without miracle nipple) and they have no interest. They just cry and cry and mom comes and takes them back to the nest and then leaves them there. I have been in contact with the rescue I volunteer for but no one has been able to offer much advice.

The kittens were each examined at the vet on Thursday so I know that there are no physical deficiencies at play (such as cleft palate). Mom has been eating well, pooping normally, no blood or discharge, and has boundless energy.

I've decided to step out of the room for a few hours now because I'm worried I'm at risk for having over-handled them today, and mom gets easily distracted when I'm in there and wants to play/cuddle. I'm going to try going hands-off for the rest of the evening and see if things improve. This is such a strange turn after 4 days in a row of strong nursing and growth. I am beginning to feel hopeless. :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the syringe, are you dropping one drop at a time into the side of their mouth? Or are you expecting them to suckle?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the syringe, are you dropping one drop at a time into the side of their mouth? Or are you expecting them to suckle?
I have tried just dropping, but it tends to just roll down the side of their jaw and onto the floor. Maybe an eye dropper would be better? I've been using a 3cc syringe.

I've also noticed that mama cat is easily distracted and I have a male (neutered, of course) cat who is very raucous and makes lots of noise. Obviously he is never allowed in her room, but she freaks out and runs to the door any time she hears him meowing, running by the door, scratching, etc. I've now quarantined him in the hopes that it brings her more peace.