Foster Cat Had Her Kittens This Am!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They may not need to be bottle babies forever. If mom is in heat, she will settle eventually. Regardless, they have a lot to learn from her.

Please keep us posted!
Will do. Thank you to everyone on this forum for your help and support. I hope I will be posting again in a few days to tell you that I am bringing 4 kittens home.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The runt with the swollen paw I have given the name Chia. The vet was having trouble stabilizing Chia's glucose level. It kept dropping - once as low as 40 (normal is 80-110!). Horrifying. My rescue approved for them to give her a catheter and it seems to be helping. The other kittens are stable. That was my last update as of a couple of hours ago. Still no other info.

I have named them all after tiny seeds/beans/fruits, because that's what they remind me of. Olive (the large patch tabby), Chickpea (my black & white with adorable spotted ears), Lentil (my mostly black with white darts on his/her shoulders), and Chia (my tiny little black and white runt). I am thinking about them constantly.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The runt with the swollen paw I have given the name Chia. The vet was having trouble stabilizing Chia's glucose level. It kept dropping - once as low as 40 (normal is 80-110!). Horrifying. My rescue approved for them to give her a catheter and it seems to be helping. The other kittens are stable. That was my last update as of a couple of hours ago. Still no other info.

I have named them all after tiny seeds/beans/fruits, because that's what they remind me of. Olive (the large patch tabby), Chickpea (my black & white with adorable spotted ears), Lentil (my mostly black with white darts on his/her shoulders), and Chia (my tiny little black and white runt). I am thinking about them constantly.
:grouphug: We are hurting with you :grouphug2:

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it the big one or the runt with the swollen paw? Keeping a good thought for all of you.
Please try antibiotics and sub-q fluids on the runt to see if the kitten can be saved.
Will they be able to feed the kittens around the clock?
:grouphug: We are hurting with you :grouphug2:
I love their names! Hope they all pull through okay. :goodluck:
We have lost Chia. The vet called a little while ago. They did absolutely everything they could, but the infection in her paw turned septic and it just was too much for her little body to take. I feel like a piece of my heart is dying with each of these kittens. I am achingly sad.

The other three kittens are doing well. Please pray for what's left of my little family. :(

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no! :( poor Chia.
:grouphug2: I'm so sorry. Those kittens are getting the best possible care. They are extremely lucky to have you as a foster mom. Kitten mortality is very high; it is a sad fact. Prayers and good vibes your way for the remaining three.
Thank you so much. The only good news that came is that the other three kittens show no signs of infection and are taking the tube feeding very well. The vet is going to try switching them over to bottles tomorrow. The vet seems optimistic about them so I am hopeful.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:hearthrob::rbheart::redheartpump:How heartbreaking, we are grieving with you and praying for the rest of the babies, is mama cat at the vets too? Hang in there we are with you.:grouphug2::grouphug2:
She is with me. She's doing great. Bopping all over the place, tons of energy. Snuggling her is definitely therapeutic right now. She's being very affectionate. I can tell she's becoming engorged with milk though and I feel so bad for her. I've been trying to apply cool, damp towels to ease the swelling/pain, and she's on preventative antibiotics, but she's probably just going to be uncomfortable for a little while. Poor little thing. I just love her.