Foster Cat Had Her Kittens This Am!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so precious!!! I always got too attached to my foster cats and dogs. It's so hard taking them back, but you know they'll get good forever homes...and then there's the "next round" needing your help. Bless you for taking such good care of these kittens and their momma! Hopefully their not eating isn't anything serious...they look great.

Did your parents decide about adopting momma cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are so precious!!! I always got too attached to my foster cats and dogs. It's so hard taking them back, but you know they'll get good forever homes...and then there's the "next round" needing your help. Bless you for taking such good care of these kittens and their momma! Hopefully their not eating isn't anything serious...they look great.

Did your parents decide about adopting momma cat?
My parents are going to foster Dyra (mama) while we are on vacation and see how she meshes with their cats (they have some strong personalities in their house). Whether or not everyone gets along will be the deciding factor! I hope they keep her!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hope they keep her too so you can visit her when you want. She seems like such a sweet cat; hope the other kitties like her.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Stunningly beautiful kittens gorgeously photographed! Does Lentil have longer hair than his sibs?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents are going to foster Dyra (mama) while we are on vacation and see how she meshes with their cats (they have some strong personalities in their house). Whether or not everyone gets along will be the deciding factor! I hope they keep her!
Please make sure they do a proper slow introduction! There shouldn’t be any contact while the cats are showing any signs of reaction.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please make sure they do a proper slow introduction! There shouldn’t be any contact while the cats are showing any signs of reaction.
Yep, they're seasoned pro's. I'm sure they'll keep her in a separate room for the first several nights. Hubby and I are going to be gone for almost 3 weeks, so they'll have lots of time. :)

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stunningly beautiful kittens gorgeously photographed! Does Lentil have longer hair than his sibs?
Yep! He has medium length hair and the other two have short. :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about cat genetics. Does that mean the father was long-haired so it averages out to medium with Lentil, or was the father medium-haired & two take after the mom and one the dad?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about cat genetics. Does that mean the father was long-haired so it averages out to medium with Lentil, or was the father medium-haired & two take after the mom and one the dad?
I'm not sure! I do think though, had little Chia survived, she would have had medium hair also. I've read that longer haired cats tend to have lower birth weights, and she and lentil were both born quite tiny and with very similar markings. I'm curious about how the genetics work too!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, they're seasoned pro's. I'm sure they'll keep her in a separate room for the first several nights. Hubby and I are going to be gone for almost 3 weeks, so they'll have lots of time. :)
That’s great, but be sure to manage expectations. It could take more than 3 weeks for face to face interactions to work.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, vet visit was a bit inconclusive. I did learn that Lentil is a GIRL, not a boy! Oh my gosh, I feel like such a dummy! The vet sexed them while they were in the ICU at roughly one week old and they must have mis-sexed her, and silly me never thought to double check! Her fluffy fur makes it a little less obvious than on the others.

Other than that, everything was very normal. No fevers, no signs of dehydration, eyes are bright, noses clear, and mouths/gums looking pink and happy. They did give us some metronidazole for the diarrhea and I am waiting for a fresh poo to take in for a stool sample to see if they need Albon as well. In the meantime I suppose I will just continue to syringe feed them until their appetite picks back up. They nursed on mom in the carrier today on the way to/from the vet, so I am wondering if this is more an issue of them regressing on their weaning (which is crazy, because they were eating food every single day for over 3 weeks up until now!). Has anyone had this happen with kittens? I don't mind continuing to bottle/syringe feed, but unfortunately they fight me tooth and nail over it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ideally, kittens eat soft food and kitten chow, and continue to nurse mom for 12-16 weeks. They get less and less milk, but enjoy suckling mom for comfort. If at all possible, give them more time with mom.

They may have a little bug. Glad you got the metronidazole.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ideally, kittens eat soft food and kitten chow, and continue to nurse mom for 12-16 weeks. They get less and less milk, but enjoy suckling mom for comfort. If at all possible, give them more time with mom.

They may have a little bug. Glad you got the metronidazole.
Yeah, unfortunately mom really doesn't want to let them nurse most of the time. When they were all in the carrier together, she didn't really have a choice because of the close quarters. I'm just totally perplexed by the sudden refusal to eat food after weeks of eating consistently. So bizarre. It had to be some kind of bug - hopefully the meds clear it up!

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I syringe fed them small amounts of baby food and fluids every 90 minutes up until about midnight last night. This morning, they ate on their own!! And two have even had normal looking poops. :yess::yess:

Words cannot describe my relief! I hope they continue to improve.