Foster Cat Had Her Kittens This Am!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens cannot maintain their body temperature the first 3 weeks.

Kittens can drown in the water bowl, so it's good you moved that higher.

Exploring the room is good for them as long as it's kitten proof. They will be out of the nest most of the time after they hit 3 weeks!
Yes the water dish was my main concern! But I want them to stay warm, too, and I know they can't do that on their own yet. I'm going to continue watching them very closely. Mama has been very clingy with them today, which makes me so happy! :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I know Olive is the top photo, I recognize her. Help me identify the other two - one with mostly white face, black on left side above eye, the other white in middle of head, black on either side. Did they all wind up with pink toe beans? I see mama has black ones. I love their little pink noses & mouths.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know Olive is the top photo, I recognize her. Help me identify the other two - one with mostly white face, black on left side above eye, the other white in middle of head, black on either side. Did they all wind up with pink toe beans? I see mama has black ones. I love their little pink noses & mouths.
The one with the mostly white face is Chickpea, and the one with the shock of white in the middle of his face is Lentil. Their toes are all pink for now, but I'm assuming they could darken over time? Lord knows I'm watching those paws like it's my full-time job after what happened with Sesame & Chia. :redheartpump:

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Got it, thanks. Chickpea & Olive look like best buddies. :)
I don't know if pad color changes (again, no kitten experience here). I can tell you that my black and white cat has mostly black pads, but a couple of them are part black and part pink. His legs are all white, but the top of him has a lot of black. You can see from his pic to the left of this post that his right side has less black on it; his left side has more.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After 5 days of doing so well on bottle feeding, two of the babies are now outright refusing their bottles. This has been going on for the past 24 hours. I'm puzzled! I always make sure the formula is warm (but not hot) and that they are warm and cozy before/during nursing. They love nursing on mom when she'll allow them so I know it's not for lack of appetite. They chew at the nipple (miracle nipple) like crazy so it seems like a teething problem, but isn't this a little early for that (they are 16 days old)?? Does anyone have any suggestions? Sarthur2 Sarthur2 @talkingpeanut @stefanz tagging you very knowledgeable folks; hope you don't mind.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They may be teething, but they must eat! Are they still gaining?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They may be teething, but they must eat! Are they still gaining?
They were gaining like crazy - went from 198g to 285g in 5 days - but since yesterday the weight on the fussiest one has stagnated (he is only 2g ahead of where he was this time yesterday). The second-fussiest one is up about 10g and the third is up 15.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should mention that mom is nursing them currently, she just seems to take nights off, that's when I've typically been bottle feeding as a supplement.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is everyone doing today?
Good! As of early this morning, everyone is now between 320-330g. They still are not having it with the bottle, so we've been doing mostly syringe feeding, which is fine. The good news is mom seems to be stepping up and nursing more and more, so I am only having to supplement ~2 times at night and ~2 times during the day, so that is a real relief!

Occasionally a certain kitten will have a day where (s)he barely gains 8-10g. But that day is always followed or preceded by a day where they will have a spurt and gain around 20g. I'm assuming this is normal as long as it all evens out to a consistent gain at the end of each week?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update. Kittens turned 3 weeks yesterday. They are getting cuter by the day. They're walking, climbing, playing, purring, and having a ton of fun. They're all around 370g so a nice healthy weight. I've gone down to only occasional supplementing with KMR as mama kitty has really stepped up her nursing. So now I only supplement if someone seems behind at a weigh-in. Here are some pictures. :)

IMG_7380.JPG
IMG_7304.JPG
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
IMG_7341.JPG
IMG_7334sm.jpg