Feral / Stray ? Started living inside on Oct 16th

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes- cats bring their "meals" somewhere safe to eat but not in corners or in any place they cannot see & escape from in any direction all around them and then whatever is not eaten they bury,that is to hide their scent- the same instinctual behavior applies to drinking from a water source & eliminating their waste- while they are eatijg,drinking or eliminating they want an easy escape route and are on high alert..... so this also should help you to understand the best way to arrange food bowls,water and litter boxes when transitioning a feral,semi feral or stray to the indoors- they are most comfortable and relaxed when they csn see all around them and take off in any direction in the event they feel threatened or danger approaching

It's believed by most that the reasons cats eat a good distance away from a water source & eliminate a good distance away from a water source as well is to keep the water from being contaminated but of course there is no way to prove that theory- however,it makes perfect sense and most animals in the wild behave in the same manner

Most people place litter boxes,food dishes & water bowls in corners or against a wall- of course a cat is hungry & thirsty so they will eat wherever you put their food and water but when it comes to an outdoor kitty the best way to help him feel less vulnerable indoors is to place his essentials where he can relax,not be on high alert and learn that he is in a very safe environment simply by placing these items where nothing obstructs him from escape....then after he is acclimated and familiar with his environment you can gradually move his food,water and litter boxes where YOU prefer.....

My own kittens have water dispensers ,litter boxes and kibble in every room -this eliminates any food or litter competition for even the most territorial,competitive kitty in a multi cat household-you have no issues there to consider- Unc has the castle all to himself ❤
Awesome, thanks so much for Your Confirmation

Experience Trumps Random internet information every-time :salam:
And as you may have noticed I am in the process of Learning ALL I CAN.
about these little friends

He seems to have Strong INSTINCTIVE Survival skills and learns Soooo quick
Only about an hr or less to understand the Cat Door,

Although I may have confused him, a few nights ago when
I closed the MESH (see through) Door on his carry case,
Then Had him jump in from the top for TREATS, He got spooked
and darted at the Mesh Door and bounced back.
NOW Last night I watched him attempt to re-enter the kitty
(SEE THROUGH) door, its got a magnet that keeps it closed and he needs to PUSH,
As he attempted and found resistance, he stopped, I needed to push it open with my hand and then step
back so he understood to push harder again.

Ok back to the CRASH Course in Cat behavior studies
Loving the learning experience and so thankful for all the
great Members and help this site has to offer

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome, thanks so much for Your Confirmation

Experience Trumps Random internet information every-time :salam:
And as you may have noticed I am in the process of Learning ALL I CAN.
about these little friends

He seems to have Strong INSTINCTIVE Survival skills and learns Soooo quick
Only about an hr or less to understand the Cat Door,

Although I may have confused him, a few nights ago when
I closed the MESH (see through) Door on his carry case,
Then Had him jump in from the top for TREATS, He got spooked
and darted at the Mesh Door and bounced back.
NOW Last night I watched him attempt to re-enter the kitty
(SEE THROUGH) door, its got a magnet that keeps it closed and he needs to PUSH,
As he attempted and found resistance, he stopped, I needed to push it open with my hand and then step
back so he understood to push harder again.

Ok back to the CRASH Course in Cat behavior studies
Loving the learning experience and so thankful for all the
great Members and help this site has to offer
Truly a pleasure to meet someone so eager to learn and so nice to talk to....I never do understand why there's so many people thst have a cat yet don't have any interest in knowing all about them and what makes them tick,how to keep them healthy or even what their basic needs are- why do they want a cat or a dog..... goldfish would be a much better choice,right?

Anyway,so glad you are part of this crazy clan of kitty kooks!You're A -OK Unc daddy!

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Truly a pleasure to meet someone so eager to learn and so nice to talk to....I never do understand why there's so many people thst have a cat yet don't have any interest in knowing all about them and what makes them tick,how to keep them healthy or even what their basic needs are- why do they want a cat or a dog..... goldfish would be a much better choice,right?

Anyway,so glad you are part of this crazy clan of kitty kooks!You're A -OK Unc daddy!
My Sincere Thanks, and so happy to have you in Unc's Corner

It is a mystery why some dont take more interest in there Pets ?
When the Holy Spirit, Universe, God gives you a GIFT its only
right you should take care and pay it back, I am now Happily responsible to
the Universe and Look Forward to learning a new language , CAT Speak and Manors.

BTW Have talked to a few neighbors now about there Cats and a few
were surprised when I offered some recently learned information,
its like really how long have you had a cat ?

OK Off to learn something New, Love just watching and trying to read his mind

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK a Learned behavior is taking effect. As some may remember Unc had issues with
Heavy/Hard biting during petting, So as soon as he would start I would put him down.

NOW He has figured out after a few hours of lap time, When he is Done he
Very Very softly opens his mouth and rest his teeth on my wrest or hand,
This I have now learned is his signal to put him down :) Not sure how long
I have before it gets rough but I HAVE LEARNED to stop within seconds
So we are both learning the signals

BTW During his lap time he Insists I use
BOTH HANDS or head butting and hand pushing on the free hand becomes
intense until I use both hands at the sometime

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
OK a Learned behavior is taking effect. As some may remember Unc had issues with
Heavy/Hard biting during petting, So as soon as he would start I would put him down.

You are definitely learning "cat" and communicating wonderfully with Unc and also understanding what he is telling you....there's rarely a time a cat will do anything without a warning proceeding the action,they move very quickly so you do have to pay attention or you can easily miss the signal

You're building a beautiful relationship with your little pal-he will be loyal and devoted to you always

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

This is called over stimulating. Some cats have the tolerance of long petting without any cause of injury and some have a time limit. Even if you put in more tokens, it ain't gonna work. Best is to observe the body language of the cat to reduce cat dents. Cats ears are like our car turn signals. Once you see them folding, it means the cat is turning either left or right to nip at you.

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is called over stimulating. Some cats have the tolerance of long petting without any cause of injury and some have a time limit. Even if you put in more tokens, it ain't gonna work. Best is to observe the body language of the cat to reduce cat dents. Cats ears are like our car turn signals. Once you see them folding, it means the cat is turning either left or right to nip at you.
Thanks my Friend, always appreciate the kind advice :thumbsup:

Yes his ears are a good indication of intent and then comes the slight pause before the act :)
I do watch him closely for hints and clues, sometimes I can feel and see the initial pause but it can be hard to pick
up as it normally comes by surprise after a period of rest when I think he is sleeping. Again its now a very tender
act and he immediately gets up and leaves as soon as I let go, Its probably because he requires me to hold him
with arms wrapped around him and thats the only way he has to say OK Let Go Now I need to leave

Just to be clear I never pick him up or pet him except when he jumps in my lap or on my chest, Maybe a pat
or two when I walk by and he is awake, but its always his decision for a lap session. The process is first he
jumps in my lap or on my chest and starts to Purr, I love rub his Chest, Chin, Cheeks, Head, Sides and back
the harder the better, I do this until I get tired and then just keep my arms touching him. this is good for a few
minutes until he starts pushing for more attention,

Eventually he falls asleep and then its sometime until I get the tender love bite notice to let go and he leaves.
He does tend to look back for me to follow,
sometimes I do but he just wants me to be near by as he investigates new areas :) He still wont go into certain
rooms or areas unless I go with him

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks my Friend, always appreciate the kind advice :thumbsup:

Yes his ears are a good indication of intent and then comes the slight pause before the act :)
I do watch him closely for hints and clues, sometimes I can feel and see the initial pause but it can be hard to pick
up as it normally comes by surprise after a period of rest when I think he is sleeping. Again its now a very tender
act and he immediately gets up and leaves as soon as I let go, Its probably because he requires me to hold him
with arms wrapped around him and thats the only way he has to say OK Let Go Now I need to leave

Just to be clear I never pick him up or pet him except when he jumps in my lap or on my chest, Maybe a pat
or two when I walk by and he is awake, but its always his decision for a lap session. The process is first he
jumps in my lap or on my chest and starts to Purr, I love rub his Chest, Chin, Cheeks, Head, Sides and back
the harder the better, I do this until I get tired and then just keep my arms touching him. this is good for a few
minutes until he starts pushing for more attention,

Eventually he falls asleep and then its sometime until I get the tender love bite notice to let go and he leaves.
He does tend to look back for me to follow,
sometimes I do but he just wants me to be near by as he investigates new areas :) He still wont go into certain
rooms or areas unless I go with him
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Yes, let him initiate and play along with him. Sometimes that's how the cats work. You can try petting him or holding him when you walk by him and when he is not jumping on you for pets and see what's his reaction and maybe try to carry him up.

Also sometimes the bites or nibbles are love bites and not actually aggression bites. Though love bites can be at times painful too.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah Unc.... forgot to mention those love bites and when I read tabbytom tabbytom post I just laughed,it's so true they can be very ouchy- lol

So that's why we can't encourage even the love bites- they have to get the idea that teeth hurt people.....though we do our best to communicate in their language we want them to know we are not a strange looking CAT!

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Time to LEARN about this NEW FOUNTAIN :woo:

Since he only wants to DRINK from the sink spout I got him
one of these RUNNING Fountains

NOW he needs to Learn this is his NEW FOUNTAIN,
figured if I put it in the same spot He should UNDERSTAND

I had it on the side of the sink but he still pawed the spout for water

Once he Understands it I should be able to move it to the side.of the sink,
And will be able to refill very easily, it will be inches away :woohoo:

sink1.jpg sink2.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Time to LEARN about this NEW FOUNTAIN :woo:

Since he only wants to DRINK from the sink spout I got him
one of these RUNNING Fountains

NOW he needs to Learn this is his NEW FOUNTAIN,
figured if I put it in the same spot He should UNDERSTAND

I had it on the side of the sink but he still pawed the spout for water

Once he Understands it I should be able to move it to the side.of the sink,
And will be able to refill very easily, it will be inches away :woohoo:

View attachment 466770View attachment 466771
He's so cute,he really is

I'd put it in a totally different spot away from the sink- where does he like to hang out? Show him ,splash- he'll go over and inspect it if you put it someplace where he hangs around in the house
I think the faucet is just going to be a distraction

Oh he'll get it eventually but wouldn't you prefer him away from the kitchen sink?He'll still want to grab a drink when you turn the faucet on with the other water source there

I have water dispensers in each room but I have 5 cats- I had it thst way since there was one,every room has food water & litter- it works out quite nicely if anyone needs to be closed in a room for some reason for any length of time

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's so cute,he really is

I'd put it in a totally different spot away from the sink- where does he like to hang out? Show him ,splash- he'll go over and inspect it if you put it someplace where he hangs around in the house
I think the faucet is just going to be a distraction

Oh he'll get it eventually but wouldn't you prefer him away from the kitchen sink?He'll still want to grab a drink when you turn the faucet on with the other water source there

I have water dispensers in each room but I have 5 cats- I had it thst way since there was one,every room has food water & litter- it works out quite nicely if anyone needs to be closed in a room for some reason for any length of time
Thanks HE LOVES the complements :hyper:

He hangs out in a different spot almost everyday, as soon as i clean off the counter or
table top for him he moves to another one, ALSO likes to change rooms on a reg. basis.
One day in the Kitchen all day the next in the Bathroom, the Next Living Room another day
down stairs ITS REALLY Interesting for him I suspect, more so for me as I never know were
to FIND him. UNTIL Feeding time that is, HE FINDS ME

BTW
The ONLY place he will drink is the kitchen sink, after each meal, I dont mind as
I am usually washing his second set of bowls at that time ,
2 are left out and 2 ready to replace with fresh food & water for each meal

This was set right next to the sink and Running, Did the finger splash and look taste thing,:)
but he only pushed the spout with his face. Had to turn it on for him AGAIN
IF Like most of his NEW THINGS it will take a few days of him seeing it before he feels
comfortable enough to use it,

Having it directly Under the spout I can turn it on very slow until he starts to drink and then
turn the faucet off, hoping he will see the lower running water and start to use it
We will see in 4 hours

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks HE LOVES the complements :hyper:

He hangs out in a different spot almost everyday, as soon as i clean off the counter or
table top for him he moves to another one, ALSO likes to change rooms on a reg. basis.
One day in the Kitchen all day the next in the Bathroom, the Next Living Room another day
down stairs ITS REALLY Interesting for him I suspect, more so for me as I never know were
to FIND him. UNTIL Feeding time that is, HE FINDS ME

BTW
The ONLY place he will drink is the kitchen sink, after each meal, I dont mind as
I am usually washing his second set of bowls at that time ,
2 are left out and 2 ready to replace with fresh food & water for each meal

This was set right next to the sink and Running, Did the finger splash and look taste thing,:)
but he only pushed the spout with his face. Had to turn it on for him AGAIN
IF Like most of his NEW THINGS it will take a few days of him seeing it before he feels
comfortable enough to use it,

Having it directly Under the spout I can turn it on very slow until he starts to drink and then
turn the faucet off, hoping he will see the lower running water and start to use it
We will see in 4 hours
You're like me Unc- I don't care who would like to come up and watch me in the sink,however my sink is right next to the glass top stove on the right,I bought a big cover pad for the stove and taught them no stove without the cover ( for fear they'd get burned)- works very well

My front bathroom is the favorite faucet drinking spot- it's always on slow drip....it used to have a lever but I had to change faucets becsuse Sami knows how to turn on that type of faucet and wouldn't always turn it off- lol

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're like me Unc- I don't care who would like to come up and watch me in the sink,however my sink is right next to the glass top stove on the right,I bought a big cover pad for the stove and taught them no stove without the cover ( for fear they'd get burned)- works very well

My front bathroom is the favorite faucet drinking spot- it's always on slow drip....it used to have a lever but I had to change faucets becsuse Sami knows how to turn on that type of faucet and wouldn't always turn it off- lol
We must both have the same kitchen :) I find myself cooking between his meals so
to not chance him stepping on a hot stove top.
AFTER Cooking its a sight, plates and towels covering the burners :livid:
I was just making plans to check the DOLLAR STORE for those metal burner covers

ALSO Just realized I have to buy a mower for the back yard, I normally would just spray
it all but he eats the grass so cant do that anymore :nono:

Last edited:

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh your Sami sounds like a fun little guy, I Love a trouble maker.
I think Unc may figure out the faucet handle soon as well :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We must both have the same kitchen :) I find myself cooking between his meals so
to not chance him stepping on a hot stove top.
AFTER Cooking its a sight, plates and towels covering the burners :livid:
I was just making plans to check the DOLLAR STORE for those metal burner covers

ALSO Just realized I have to buy a mower for the back yard, I normally would just spray
it all but he eats the grass so cant do that anymore :nono:
So do have a gas stove Unc? Or tye electric coil element type?If it the coils I'll tell you those metal cover get hot by the time the elements cool- you might take a look online- I saw wooden covers to go over the whole surface ( all 4 burners) with little legs to keep it off the coils- very cat safe

I'll give you a link if you'd like.And believe it or not I found many weed & pest sprays for lawns that are animal safe...mine don't go outside at all but the birds n squirrels and iguana are always in the grass so I dint like using toxic products that can harm the critters... though I'm told most sprays are safe after they are dry but the critters outside ard not trying to eat the grass though they may injest some -.this just tells me they are not safe for consumption and I'd stick with" pet safe " products.....still,I can't imagjne a pet safe spray is intended for eating.....

The heck with the lawn,right Unc? Lol

Btw,your doing a great job...your little guy really picked a winner👍

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh your Sami sounds like a fun little guy, I Love a trouble maker.
I think Unc may figure out the faucet handle soon as well :)
Sami is a handful,he's a Bengal and whatever you've heard about the breed is true! Sami is a certified Therapy cat , I've tried and tried to convince the ADA to accept cats as Service Animals because they csn indeed perform services ( reliably).....So,I taught Sami way too many things to perform for many commitees ( to no avail)... meanwhile that ship has sailed & I've created a little monster- lol

Turning lights on and off,opening doors( all doors must have key locks),answering the phone ,retrieving items.....so use your imagination when Sami is left to his own devices!!!!