Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama and I agree! WOW! That's absolutely fabulous!
You could easily use FleaBusters/borax powder or spray on the rug. I'd leave it. It is gorgeous!
Is that a 12x12 shed? It's so much fancier than ours in the Mojave--I called it our Kitten Cabin as that's where our beloved angel Suha spent her first few weeks with us. Ours had 2 windows opposite each other, screened with chicken wire so no escaping. There was a perch in the south-facing window.
I wish it had two windows! The only reason I could even get one window installed is because that contractor liked me. I don't think Oscar is doing anything in night in there because noting is moved. When he was in the garage ..things would be picked up and moved like the toy mice.

Not sure of the size! I will measure. My next project is determining if the 2"x3" wire on the outside of the catio is enough to keep Oscar in or if I have to put another layer of something over it. Like plastic chicken wire. Hopefully not.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PS. There is no window now since that is where the much-needed air conditioner is.

I just checked and it's 12' x 15' long and his loft platform is NINE feet up! The ceiling goes up 11 feet. He's up in the clouds so I will never be able to force interaction :(

Last edited:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes RE my vet. I did check into barn programs - but they give the cats to people for free and trust that they will confine them for a month and feed them before they let them go. And then no vet care and who knows if he’d get fed. Plus - conflicts with other cats and not knowing anything familiar. I didn’t think that was a good option.

so here is a picture of the shed. It’s small and hot but has some ramps he can climb up to the loft on. The carpet is probably a bad idea since he’s gotta have fleas but it looks so nice! Ha - it’s more for me than him I think.

the loft is up at least 9 ft. I put a lip around the sides so he couldn’t fall off if he was sleeping and stretched out. So when I look up -the loft platform is totally obscured. There’s a fleece bed inside. It’s gotta be so hot - no flow of air and a hot fleece bed. Oh well - I tried! View attachment 426397
That is a gorgeous space!! All the climbing places, a soft sofa, scratching places...things to be under and spots to be up high. Everything he needs to gain trust.
I'd just sit in there not moving much too, if you aren't already. He'd learn you don't always move around.

And on forcing interaction, you really can't. But if it was a smaller space he'd be forced to be closer to you while hiding while you were in there, true; but this is just perfect for him. He'll learn things in time. Maybe a long time, but that's okay since he's safe now.
Maybe he's moving around but just not playing with toys yet.
I can't wait for the camera either!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS. There is no window now since that is where the much-needed air conditioner is.

I just checked and it's 12' x 15' long and his loft platform is NINE feet up! The ceiling goes up 11 feet. He's up in the clouds so I will never be able to force interaction :(
That's a nice big room for Oscar.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beautiful!

You can sprinkle some catnips around and that may help him move about.
Yes - if you look in the picture, you can see the catnip all over the floor! I was trying to imagine him rolling around in it . . that was my wish.

When I walk in there in the morning, the food is gone and it's dead quiet with nary a sound. So of course I start talking my head off: "Good morning Oscar. I love you Oscar. I see you ate your dinner Oscar. OK honey, fresh water for you. Do you like that?" etc.

Any non-cat person would consider me crazy! But then again, if they are a non-cat person . . they must be the crazy one! LOL

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's such a beautiful cat shed Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom

:heartshape:
My house is two storey but the upstairs is a loft. On warn days it can be 30 C downstairs but around 38 C upstairs. Lots of my cats choose to sleep up there, even though they have the run of the house and a large enclosure. They just seem to like being up there, so don't worry about him too much in the heat.

I'm so glad he's eating now.

:heartshape:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The shed is ab absolutely beautiful space! You will be obsessed with the camera! You can turn off the notifications at night and then view them in the morning.

So happy he is eating! You have done so much for him!!
Thank you . . . .I am not sure though if he is happy in there. Time will tell. I won't relax until I the hot weather is over and I don't have to worry about the air conditioner. Also, when I am finally moved up here and out of my other house completely . . I really have to figure out some kind of barrier door for when I open it. He is so feral that I doubt her would ever run toward me . . .he never did while in the garage, but I still want something up. Also, I have to figure out if the 2x3 wire is good enough for the catio or if it needs to be reinforced. But those two things can wait.

The camera should arrive tomorrow and I will have to install! I am more excited about that than when I got my graduate degree many years ago LOL

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you . . . .I am not sure though if he is happy in there. Time will tell. I won't relax until I the hot weather is over and I don't have to worry about the air conditioner. Also, when I am finally moved up here and out of my other house completely . . I really have to figure out some kind of barrier door for when I open it. He is so feral that I doubt her would ever run toward me . . .he never did while in the garage, but I still want something up. Also, I have to figure out if the 2x3 wire is good enough for the catio or if it needs to be reinforced. But those two things can wait.

The camera should arrive tomorrow and I will have to install! I am more excited about that than when I got my graduate degree many years ago LOL
Yet he is safe and loved. Happiness and contentedness will come later. The first feral cat I brought inside my house took one year to adjust. He lived in a spare bedroom for the first 4 months before gradually coming out of hiding. Each new step took months. He finally decided on his own to leave the bedroom after 1 full year.

Another barrier idea is a homemade tall gate made from wire shelving from Lowes/Home Depot. I have a 4' one and a 6' one yet they can be made up to 12'. The taller they are, the harder they are to maneuver but they do work. I have seen some people attach one side to a wall and then use a hook and eye for the other side. I will link an article that shows a picture.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Another barrier idea is a homemade tall gate made from wire shelving from Lowes/Home Depot. I have a 4' one and a 6' one yet they can be made up to 12'.
I have done this for introducing Gracie and using it now for my foster kittens, and it's great. I have 2 shelves tied together with cable ties. It is a little awkward, mine is 6 feet tall, but it does the job well.

Anxiously awaiting the camera!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes - if you look in the picture, you can see the catnip all over the floor! I was trying to imagine him rolling around in it . . that was my wish.

When I walk in there in the morning, the food is gone and it's dead quiet with nary a sound. So of course I start talking my head off: "Good morning Oscar. I love you Oscar. I see you ate your dinner Oscar. OK honey, fresh water for you. Do you like that?" etc.

Any non-cat person would consider me crazy! But then again, if they are a non-cat person . . they must be the crazy one! LOL
Yes. Anyone who doesn't love cats is persona non grata. :agree:
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue Those are beautiful! and obviously very effective. I love that you can see through, and so can cats. A great solution.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have done this for introducing Gracie and using it now for my foster kittens, and it's great. I have 2 shelves tied together with cable ties. It is a little awkward, mine is 6 feet tall, but it does the job well.

Anxiously awaiting the camera!
Thanks for this great idea! Seeing through it is awesome for both them and us!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

The camera arrived yesterday and so I will set up by the weekend. I am still going back down to the house to move stuff and maintain the yard - and it should go on the market next week. Fingers crossed.

It's a stressful time as I may have to put down my 14 year old German Shepherd whom I adopted 13 years ago. I am dreading it. It's hard to tell the "right time." All my other animals (cats and dogs) had chronic illnesses and so I didn't have a choice. My girl Ilsa is just declining and it's hard to know if she's in pain. Her back legs give out sometimes and a few other things - and I have to take my other dog on walks separately since she can't go. Oh well enough on that.

Last night I put out 3 small cans and Oscar ate all of it! Again, he must only move at night. But, the food was all gone. He must be feeling somewhat OK if he is eating so regularly.

Air conditioner goes on today . . thank God I bought it. Without it - it would be well over 100 degrees in there. I look forward to the cooler weather and opening the window for him.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The camera arrived yesterday and so I will set up by the weekend. I am still going back down to the house to move stuff and maintain the yard - and it should go on the market next week. Fingers crossed.
At least with the camera, you can monitor his movements and not worry that much.

Hope you can get the stuffs done at the old house and have a smooth sale at a good price.

It's a stressful time as I may have to put down my 14 year old German Shepherd whom I adopted 13 years ago. I am dreading it. It's hard to tell the "right time." All my other animals (cats and dogs) had chronic illnesses and so I didn't have a choice. My girl Ilsa is just declining and it's hard to know if she's in pain. Her back legs give out sometimes and a few other things - and I have to take my other dog on walks separately since she can't go. Oh well enough on that.
Oh dear, so sorry to hear this. Hopefully he's not suffering too much.

Hope Lisa pain can be alleviated so that she can walk more normally without pain :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Last night I put out 3 small cans and Oscar ate all of it! Again, he must only move at night. But, the food was all gone. He must be feeling somewhat OK if he is eating so regularly.

Air conditioner goes on today . . thank God I bought it. W
Oh great! He's eating more. Guess he knows that 2 cans are not enough for him and probably he also knows that he has to adjust to the new place.

Maybe once the A/C is up, you can sit in and try to hand feed him. By doing so, Oscar will not think that food only appears in the night when no one is around but food comes from you and also by doing this, it'll help him trust you more and get used to you as from now on, you have to get him socialized.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At least with the camera, you can monitor his movements and not worry that much.

Hope you can get the stuffs done at the old house and have a smooth sale at a good price.

Oh dear, so sorry to hear this. Hopefully he's not suffering too much.

Hope Lisa pain can be alleviated so that she can walk more normally without pain :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Oh great! He's eating more. Guess he knows that 2 cans are not enough for him and probably he also knows that he has to adjust to the new place.

Maybe once the A/C is up, you can sit in and try to hand feed him. By doing so, Oscar will not think that food only appears in the night when no one is around but food comes from you and also by doing this, it'll help him trust you more and get used to you as from now on, you have to get him socialized.
Hand feed him? I couldn’t get within 6 feet of him when he was outside.

Maybe in a couple of years he will approach me. He’s petrified of humans and that’s how he’s survived this long.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your Ilsa. My neighbour is going through the same thing with their German Shepherd, but he's quite a bit younger, only 9 or 10, I think. But same thing, issues with his back legs and walking. :(

Glad Oscar's appetite is still good. That's the main thing, for now. Then getting the camera set up and spying on him.
Gaining his trust is going to take a long time, but I still think it will happen. :petcat:

Hope you can get your house ready to sell, and that you get a quick sale, and good offers.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hand feed him? I couldn’t get within 6 feet of him when he was outside.

Maybe in a couple of years he will approach me. He’s petrified of humans and that’s how he’s survived this long.
Not exactly hand feed him. Show him the can in your hands from a distance and feed him with an extended spoon. It's worth a try though it may take quite awhile for him to eat from the spoon. No harm trying.

Actually, from now you have to take things a little slow. Better not stress yourself and Oscar out. Settle what is needed to settled first and tackle things along the way. Just don't rush Oscar and also you take care of your own health.

Last edited: