Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the one window in the shed. Questions:

1. Is it OK to open the top portion of the window as far as I can for breeze until I get the air conditioner? A friend thought he might try to press his way out (screen very thin) but I’m not sure where he would stand to do that.

2. Thewire mesh is 2”x3”. I got it off a recommended catio site. Can he put his shoulder or arm through there to try to escape and hurt himself?

I did not want to give him full access to the catio until he felt secure in the shed as his “safe” place. It may be a moot point since I hope to get the air conditioner in the one window.

thoughts? Thanks
F8A0B4D0-A9C3-492D-A60B-430D6800FC1D.jpeg
A7F89662-CB76-4A23-8315-0158C4D12412.jpeg
01E930D2-A641-4600-B99F-3FDDE531657A.jpeg
1375CCB3-C629-4EA2-81EA-65F412ED7C9F.jpeg

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PS - A rescue friend said she wouldn’t let him into the catio for at least a month or else he may try to bite his way out and hurt himself. The 2x3” is more for a fat spoiled cat like my two indoors - not a tough old feral.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I tend to agree with your friend about not letting him into the catio for a while, as I did wonder if he'd injure himself trying to escape, the same way ferals try to get out of traps.

Also not sure about opening the window, as if he's determined he might be able to claw through the screen.

Sorry, I realize I'm not being very helpful.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about the screen and him trying to claw his way out, from past experience.
Also about not letting him into the catio for awhile, it could be overwhelming to adjust to that much territory all at once.
Again I’m just so glad he’s in, happy dance!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with pearl99 pearl99 and rubysmama rubysmama and your friend about the catio, and I would not open the window wide enough for him to escape, because you have gone through a LOT to get him (and he has, too!) and if he gets out, you might not get another chance. Opening it a crack, as long as he cannot push it up or out, is okay, and run a line through for a fan or portable AC unit. You can buy these little window-frame-mounted locks Amazon.com : Window Locks & Latches that might be useful...or not.
EXCELLENT news about his input/output!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning.

update - Oscar ate 2 small cans of food overnight and pooped so that is good news. I haven’t seen or heard him as he is up in the loft.

He isn’t back to eating normally as the food in the morning goes untouched. However - if he eats 2 small cans a day - he will lose weight but not starve.

I am going to have to see if I can install the air conditioner in there today - and run an extension cord from my house. Fingers crossed I can lift and install without any help 😟

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even if you don't see him, as long as food is eaten, and litter box gets used, you don't have to worry. And remember, he doesn't have to eat as much because a) he's not as active right now, and b) the food is always there with him so he doesn't have to eat and run

Good luck with the air conditioner install. I know it's difficult sometimes having to do things without help, but where there's a will, there's a way. :redheartpump:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even if you don't see him, as long as food is eaten, and litter box gets used, you don't have to worry. And remember, he doesn't have to eat as much because a) he's not as active right now, and b) the food is always there with him so he doesn't have to eat and run

Good luck with the air conditioner install. I know it's difficult sometimes having to do things without help, but where there's a will, there's a way. :redheartpump:
Great point about the fact that he’s not as active and can count on food being there.

I’m pretty handy but the air conditioner is 55 lbs and so that is worrisome for this 64 year old gal to pick up and lift!

I can hardly wait until these things are done - I have made the plastic lattice door for inside, etc.That said - I still have to empty the house now to sell. It’s overwhelming.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
update - Oscar ate 2 small cans of food overnight and pooped so that is good news. I haven’t seen or heard him as he is up in the loft.

He isn’t back to eating normally as the food in the morning goes untouched. However - if he eats 2 small cans a day - he will lose weight but not starve.

I am going to have to see if I can install the air conditioner in there today - and run an extension cord from my house. Fingers crossed I can lift and install without any help 😟
Great that Oscar's eating or at least he's eating.

Yea, take care while lifting and installing the A/C

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Great point about the fact that he’s not as active and can count on food being there.

I’m pretty handy but the air conditioner is 55 lbs and so that is worrisome for this 64 year old gal to pick up and lift!

I can hardly wait until these things are done - I have made the plastic lattice door for inside, etc.That said - I still have to empty the house now to sell. It’s overwhelming.
I’ve jerry-rigged many things to move a heavy object in my life, as in piling things in a stair step way, a ramp, etc. It’s a pain. A 300 pound piano harp, a 90 pound rototiller into my SUV- but there are ways! 🥴 Be careful of your back (I’m in my 60’s too) and best of luck! 👍
Do one step at a time as far as all you have to do!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

GREAT news about Oscar eating and depositing! Keep up the great work, Oscar!

Yeah, moving is never easy. I've done it too many times and even though no place is perfect and I prefer another place to this one, it looks like I'm here for the duration, with 2 households of stuff. So I empathize. BEST to you for the packing, cleaning, moving. And for the AC install.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

I couldn’t install air conditioner because as it turns out - I need a special extension cord which was another $80 😩. So will install tomorrow when the extension cord arrives. Thankfully -Wednesday is going to be when the super hot weather gets here so it will be in the Nick of time.

He ate two cans last night - but left a third. So I guess two small cans is it.

I’ll report back once I get the air conditioner in. Also - do you think this would work Inside the door as a kind of secured area? It’s 5 ft night so I don’t think he could jump over.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats jump over the 4' barrier I have and if they can't jump it they scale it. I had a barrier on a door once that was 8' and my cat scaled it and got through the small opening at the top. It's just something you have to try. Sometimes the structure is intimidating enough that the cats stays away.

I am so happy Oscar is eating and using the litter box!!! Progress is a great thing.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

I couldn’t install air conditioner because as it turns out - I need a special extension cord which was another $80 😩. So will install tomorrow when the extension cord arrives. Thankfully -Wednesday is going to be when the super hot weather gets here so it will be in the Nick of time.

He ate two cans last night - but left a third. So I guess two small cans is it.

I’ll report back once I get the air conditioner in. Also - do you think this would work Inside the door as a kind of secured area? It’s 5 ft night so I don’t think he could jump over.
Anything that is scaleable would be inviting trouble. I wouldn't. Get something that leaves no space for him to get out.
I had the same problem with my new toilet. It was a great price and included everything in the kit but unfortunately, the connector from the toilet to the floor was not long enough so I had to pay more for a longer one which fortunately, the installing plumber had in his supplies, so I didn't have to wait. Hope your cord arrives right away!
Two small cans is good. That's 6 oz. I wouldn't worry if he doesn't eat more, at least initially. Elvis doesn't finish the equivalent of 5 1/2 oz. a day, and he's a big guy. He will graze on crunchies, and he does get treats at bedtime, but he won't eat more wet food than that.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK good re the food amount.

after I’d been gone a couple days before he was trapped - he’d eat 3 small cans and some dry at one sitting. So I guess he was hungry and leaving him was not going to work!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK good re the food amount.

after I’d been gone a couple days before he was trapped - he’d eat 3 small cans and some dry at one sitting. So I guess he was hungry and leaving him was not going to work!
Well, cats are individuals like we are, and we have days of wanting to eat everything in sight, or days of not wanting to eat, but most days are somewhere in the middle. You can go by the cat weight/food ratio chart/information on the food itself, but my cats have NEVER eaten as much as they recommend. That's a ploy to sell more, of course.