Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone and thank you Shadowsrescue for checking in on him.

First of all - I am so much more accepting of letting go of my beloved house now that he’s up here with me. Even if it’s a bit hard and I never see him (so I worry,) he is eating two small cans of wet everynight and a tiny bit of dry. And using the litter box.

But I have not seen him and it’s dead quiet in there when I go in. TG I got the air conditioner in the Nick of time - it’s been super hot and humid and he’d have gotten sick.

I put toys in there and branches with leaves from the old house but they aren’t moved. I did order a cheap video camera and so maybe I can spy on him.

trying not to worry about the fact he only eats late at night when all is dark and quiet. I hope he’s eating enough.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

First of all - I am so much more accepting of letting go of my beloved house now that he’s up here with me. Even if it’s a bit hard and I never see him (so I worry,) he is eating two small cans of wet everynight and a tiny bit of dry. And using the litter box.

But I have not seen him and it’s dead quiet in there when I go in. TG I got the air conditioner in the Nick of time - it’s been super hot and humid and he’d have gotten sick.

I put toys in there and branches with leaves from the old house but they aren’t moved. I did order a cheap video camera and so maybe I can spy on him.

trying not to worry about the fact he only eats late at night when all is dark and quiet. I hope he’s eating enough.
I am so sorry you have to let go of your house. How I empathize! But I am so glad, and relieved, that Oscar is safe with you. As long as he's eating well and using his box, he is doing well. It will take time for him to trust. Some cats never do; but many cats will, in time. Oscar knows you care about, and for, him. He knows he's safe with you. Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you for getting the AC in there for him, too! And keep us updated, please!:redheartpump::bigeyes::redheartpump::yess::hugs:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you have to let go of your house. How I empathize! But I am so glad, and relieved, that Oscar is safe with you. As long as he's eating well and using his box, he is doing well. It will take time for him to trust. Some cats never do; but many cats will, in time. Oscar knows you care about, and for, him. He knows he's safe with you. Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you for getting the AC in there for him, too! And keep us updated, please!:redheartpump::bigeyes::redheartpump::yess::hugs:
Thanks about the house. I look over to “his” spot in the bushes and it’s empty. That makes it easier to leave since he’s up here. I still have doubts as to if it was the right thing- being alone in a shed day after day after living outside for his whole life. But he’s way up high and I know cats like that in general.

Do you think 2 small cans of fancy feast is enough? I put 2 1/2 and so we will see what is left in the morning.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks about the house. I look over to “his” spot in the bushes and it’s empty. That makes it easier to leave since he’s up here. I still have doubts as to if it was the right thing- being alone in a shed day after day after living outside for his whole life. But he’s way up high and I know cats like that in general.

Do you think 2 small cans of fancy feast is enough? I put 2 1/2 and so we will see what is left in the morning.
That's 6 oz. of good food. Absolutely, it's enough, especially as he's not very active now.
And I hope you'll get that doubt out of your mind. Being outside at risk, having to be alert every second for danger, being unsure of water and food supply? Or inside, with good, regular food and clean water, safe, cool, and with access to comfort?
It's not even a contest at all.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's 6 oz. of good food. Absolutely, it's enough, especially as he's not very active now.
And I hope you'll get that doubt out of your mind. Being outside at risk, having to be alert every second for danger, being unsure of water and food supply? Or inside, with good, regular food and clean water, safe, cool, and with access to comfort?
It's not even a contest at all.
THANK YOU ❤❤❤❤

He does have a bed up in the loft, and so he’s laying on a fleece bed. Perhaps a bit warm - but soft. And he has a cat tree and a sofa and ramps to run on. So yeah - with all the non feral cats in tiny cages in shelters across the country or living on the street - I guess you are right.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU ❤❤❤❤

He does have a bed up in the loft, and so he’s laying on a fleece bed. Perhaps a bit warm - but soft. And he has a cat tree and a sofa and ramps to run on. So yeah - with all the non feral cats in tiny cages in shelters across the country or living on the street - I guess you are right.
I advocate for those cats 365 1/4 days a year and yes, Oscar is a very fortunate guy. I predict he will thaw in time, and join your furmily!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you will feel better once the camera arrives and you can actually see what Oscar is up to! That might give you some ideas, too, of changes to make in the shelter, things to add or take away. Then when you are ready to let him explore the catio, he will have even more room to roam around! Food-wise, I think Oscar is doing fine and it is great that he is using the litter box! Good work, both of you!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Oscar is most grateful to you for bringing him in. Give him time to recover and get over it. As long as he's eating, he is ok.

Don't worry so much. let him settle down and let him take his own time to do it. Now that he's seeing you everyday, it'll sink into him that his will be his new home.

See if you can get a rechargeable light that is not too bright and leave it mid point where it's just bright enough for him in the night.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oscar is most grateful to you for bringing him in. Give him time to recover and get over it. As long as he's eating, he is ok.

Don't worry so much. let him settle down and let him take his own time to do it. Now that he's seeing you everyday, it'll sink into him that his will be his new home.

See if you can get a rechargeable light that is not too bright and leave it mid point where it's just bright enough for him in the night.
Oh yes; I have a rechargeable light in there that gives a soft glow in one corner of the shed.

while he doesn’t see me everydaysince he’s held up in the loft And it has a solid railing - he does hear me taking to him several times when I go out there to feed him.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh yes; I have a rechargeable light in there that gives a soft glow in one corner of the shed.

while he doesn’t see me everydaysince he’s held up in the loft And it has a solid railing - he does hear me taking to him several times when I go out there to feed him.
Ok that's good for the light and as long as he hears your voice.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok that's good for the light and as long as he hears your voice.
Yes. I talk to him like I always have and tell him I love him. When he’d hiss at me outside I still told him.
He ate 2 1/2 cans last night and pooped so doing OK physically- and I hope emotionally. It’s been 10 days since trapping.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes. I talk to him like I always have and tell him I love him. When he’d hiss at me outside I still told him.
He ate 2 1/2 cans last night and pooped so doing OK physically- and I hope emotionally. It’s been 10 days since trapping.
That's good. As I mentioned, as long as he hears your voice. This is the only way to assure that he's safe and since he is eating and pooping, it means that he's adjusting. If not, he'll not eat at all and will not poo.

This boy need some time to adjust and lots of reassurance as he has never been inside before. You are doing a good job. Bless your heart and have some rest.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's good. As I mentioned, as long as he hears your voice. This is the only way to assure that he's safe and since he is eating and pooping, it means that he's adjusting. If not, he'll not eat at all and will not poo.

This boy need some time to adjust and lots of reassurance as he has never been inside before. You are doing a good job. Bless your heart and have some rest.
OK good. I know he will need lots of time and may never respond. I just hope he doesn’t get sick since I have no way of retrapping him!

My cat vet had advised against trapping him since she said it would be cruel since he was so very feral and living outdoors. But he was always there when o reigned and hungry and never with anyone other cats in the two yrs I fed him.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
OK good. I know he will need lots of time and may never respond. I just hope he doesn’t get sick since I have no way of retrapping him!

My cat vet had advised against trapping him since she said it would be cruel since he was so very feral and living outdoors. But he was always there when o reigned and hungry and never with anyone other cats in the two yrs I fed him.
Now you are his only contact as he's inside already where when he was outside, he sees other people and through this, the bond will develop.

Just keep watch of his poo and make sure it's nothing off normal as this will indicate his health as you cannot go near him to asses him.

Make him feel very at home and I hope he'll not take too long to overcome this situation.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s been 10 days since trapping.
Ten days already! Wow, time really flies, doesn't it.

He ate 2 1/2 cans last night and pooped so doing OK physically- and I hope emotionally.
I think if he was stressed, he wouldn't be eating or using the litter box.

My cat vet had advised against trapping him since she said it would be cruel since he was so very feral and living outdoors.
I know your vet likely meant well, but you moving away and there being no one to feed him, would have been cruel too. Trapping and bringing him with you, or to a shelter, were the only options. And a shelter existence likely would have been bleak, since he's so feral, and therefore not really adoptable.

I just hope he doesn’t get sick since I have no way of retrapping him!
Hopefully that won't ever be an issue, but if it was necessary to retrap him, now that he's in a secure place, you would probably be able to put a sedative in his food.

while he doesn’t see me everydaysince he’s held up in the loft
I could be wrong, but I suspect he's watching you.

I'm curious about the loft. Any way to take pics to show us what it looks like?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A thought is to go into the shed and spend some time in there. You can sit and read a book or just sit and talk with him. He needs to hear your voice often. Another thing to try now or later down the road is to put an article of clothing that you have worn in the space. Even next to where you are putting the cat food. He knows your scent and some cats find this comforting. You would need to change out the piece of clothing after a few days. I used to put a hoodie on and wear it for a few hours for a few days. Then place it where the feral cats slept. Someone was always on it.

I am excited for you to get the camera. You may find you will need more than one!!

I understand all about moving and leaving a beloved house. I moved 4 years ago with 3 inside cats, 3 outdoor feral cats and a dog. I moved the feral cats inside for good. Leaving my house was so sad. We had built the house and my son grew up there. Yet whenever I would look at my feral boys I felt so happy. No more roaming, no more worrying about coyotes no more being cold.

Keep us posted. I just love hearing all about Oscar!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom Vets are human, fallible, and opinionated, like the rest of us; I absolutely disagree with yours on the subject of Oscar's being "too feral" and it being "cruel" to bring him in. A lot of trained experts can't/won't/don't think outside their narrow parameters, but each cat, like each human, is an individual. I feel sure Oscar is SO much more contented to be safe, with regular good food, clean, fresh water, and a comfortable sleeping place.
Two locations ago, my ex and I worked for years to gain the trust of the feral matriarch and generations of her progeny. But we did it. Most of them were never "lap cats" but they were in a fenced yard and then in a cat-fenced compound and two 12x12 barn stalls. We did not have room for them in the house, which was the territory of our indoor cats. The feral/semi-feral cats were safe, well fed and watered, spayed/neutered/innoculated, and LOVED. That's what mattered! In a perfect world, cats would have their outdoor territory, safe from dangers, and humans would respect that, and protect them where needed.
We don't live in a perfect world.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes RE my vet. I did check into barn programs - but they give the cats to people for free and trust that they will confine them for a month and feed them before they let them go. And then no vet care and who knows if he’d get fed. Plus - conflicts with other cats and not knowing anything familiar. I didn’t think that was a good option.

so here is a picture of the shed. It’s small and hot but has some ramps he can climb up to the loft on. The carpet is probably a bad idea since he’s gotta have fleas but it looks so nice! Ha - it’s more for me than him I think.

the loft is up at least 9 ft. I put a lip around the sides so he couldn’t fall off if he was sleeping and stretched out. So when I look up -the loft platform is totally obscured. There’s a fleece bed inside. It’s gotta be so hot - no flow of air and a hot fleece bed. Oh well - I tried!
A3F7E53E-DFC7-4620-977A-886A10399B96.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
so here is a picture of the shed. It’s small and hot but has some ramps he can climb up to the loft on. The carpet is probably a bad idea since he’s gotta have fleas but it looks so nice! Ha - it’s more for me than him I think.

the loft is up at least 9 ft. I put a lip around the sides so he couldn’t fall off if he was sleeping and stretched out. So when I look up -the loft platform is totally obscured. There’s a fleece bed inside. It’s gotta be so hot - no flow of air and a hot fleece bed. Oh well - I tried!
A3F7E53E-DFC7-4620-977A-886A10399B96.jpeg
Oh, wow. That is totally gorgeous !!! Too bad Mr Loves It Up High Oscar isn't taking advantage of the cushy sel up. Though perhaps he is. It'll be fun to "spy" on him, once you get the camera set up.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama and I agree! WOW! That's absolutely fabulous!
You could easily use FleaBusters/borax powder or spray on the rug. I'd leave it. It is gorgeous!
Is that a 12x12 shed? It's so much fancier than ours in the Mojave--I called it our Kitten Cabin as that's where our beloved angel Suha spent her first few weeks with us. Ours had 2 windows opposite each other, screened with chicken wire so no escaping. There was a perch in the south-facing window.