Feral in my garage

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hand feed him? I couldn’t get within 6 feet of him when he was outside.

Maybe in a couple of years he will approach me. He’s petrified of humans and that’s how he’s survived this long.
Echoing tabbytom tabbytom 's thoughts and adding *Prayers* -- may your dog let you know when it's the right time. I am so sorry.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear ahear about your dog Ilsa. I had a dog years ago who developed cancer near the end of his life. I knew it was time because he just wanted to go to his favorite place in the world-my garden. He just wanted to remain there and had no interested in eating or anything else. That's when I knew it was time to say my goodbye. I wish you peace during this difficult time. I had a period where I lost two cats to cancer 6 months apart from each other. It was tough. Hang in there, you are not alone.

I hope each day Oscar trusts you a little bit more. BTW, the set up you have in the shed is awesome. Oscar is a pampered boy. He is so lucky to have you as his caretaker. 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG -

I am beyond devastated. Oscar seemed to be adjusting nicely and yesterday I noticed some light coming in up top near the rafters but didn’t think much of it. Well this morning his food wasn’t eaten. I went around outside the shed and looked up and the plastic panel that was up top had fallen and there was a open space up near the roof. He must have been walking on that inside and it gave way. He fell down 9 ft and is now gone. About 36 hrs ago. What do I do???? I’m heartbroken. I don’t even think he was trying to escape but it gave way. Where is he?? In front of my house is busy post road and in back of me two rows of houses and then woods. I feel terrible. I should have left him back at the house where he knew the area his whole life. I am so heartbroken and feel so guilty that I have endangered and stressed him and he may starve as a result.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry this has happened. I know he won't starve. He knows how to hunt. I would set up the camera outside along with some food. Call for him. Put out signs or go door to door to ask neighbors.

In the mean time see about getting this spot fixed. It must be something very sturdy.

My guess is that he will come back to you. Put some dry food outside during the day along with the camera. I wouldn't keep food outside overnight but you can keep the camera.

Please Oscar come back.

Also don't second guess what you did. He is a survivor. I truly believe he will come back. He knows how to take care of himself.

I am sending all my good thoughts and energy that Oscar will come back.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, hon. I don't even know what to say, except, I'm shocked, but then again, really not, knowing what Oscar is like.

He's a survivor though, and hopefully he's been at your new place long enough to remember it's his food source. So I guess, leave food by the shed and hope he finds it.

As for leaving him behind, you didn't do the wrong thing. You had to bring him with you, or he'd have no one to feed him. Having him running freely where you now live, is not in any way ideal, but Oscar has made the decision, and now all you can do, is carry on as you were at your old home.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, hon. I don't even know what to say, except, I'm shocked, but then again, really not, knowing what Oscar is like.

He's a survivor though, and hopefully he's been at your new place long enough to remember it's his food source. So I guess, leave food by the shed and hope he finds it.

As for leaving him behind, you didn't do the wrong thing. You had to bring him with you, or he'd have no one to feed him. Having him running freely where you now live, is not in any way ideal, but Oscar has made the decision, and now all you can do, is carry on as you were at your old home.
He’s been here two weeks. That’s it. I had no idea that there was only plastic up top under the roof line. Maybe it’s all like that. I have no idea - I don’t know construction. It had occurred to me to check but I don’t have a ladder and wouldn’t know what to look for. It’s all so upsetting and after all of this - I’m in shock.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say I was in total shock, but, you know, I'm not. Oscar is so very feral, but also so intelligent, which is a combination that unfortunately would make him like the prisoners who tunneled out of Alcatraz. If there was a way, Oscar was going to figure it out.

I think 2 weeks, plus the months of you feeding him at your other home, is more than enough for him to know to come back to you for food. Now that you know to keep on the look out for him, I suspect you'll see him sooner than later.

Oscar, come home, boy. Your momma is worried sick about you. :petcat::bigeyes::redheartpump:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh dear!

I believe he's still around the vicinity but just hiding somewhere as the area is new to him. Walk around and call out to him and bring food along with you.

Take a photo of the roof from inside and outside and show it to us and maybe we can suggest something when we have an idea of what it looks like.

He'll still be hanging near you as he knows you have the food.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am trying to be zen about it and keep telling myself that I was trying my best - and not beat myself up for bring him up here. Maybe me not being able to trap him was a sign that he should be left there. That occurred to me when I kept trying that maybe I wasn't supposed to. I was so happy that he was eating and adjusting and had a soft bed.

Now I feel that I have done the opposite of what I tried to do. Make a safe home and now he is in more danger than ever not knowing where he is. I pray he forgives me and frankly, that I someday forgive myself.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He won't go far. Even free roaming feral cats tend to stick to areas they know well and only expand their territory very slowly and cautiously.

Is he able to get back into the shed if he wants to? Can you crack the door open for him?

Leave his litter box outside and sprinkle some of the used litter around the shed so he can smell himself.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Try vacuuming up as much of his hair as you can find and then sprinkling that outside.

Another sure way to attract hungry cats is to get some Asian Fish Sauce, Nampla, dilute it with water and spray that around. Do you have a place you can set up your camera outside to check if he comes back?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t have my ladder up here. I’m not sure I can express how hard it is to be getting my house ready which is two hrs away - caring for my house and cats here and next week my 14 yr old shepherd gets pts the same day my house goes on the market.

once I got him up here and the airconditoner in - I thought I could focus on those other things.

I am doing all this alone and so can’t get a camera up without a ladder and have to leave tomorrow at 5 am to go down and clean mow the lawn etc. Do that also on Satirday and Monday and then my shep leaves Wednesday. I don’t have to bandwidth to do more than put out food and call him. I hope hesmells My dogs in the yard. But I fear he’s long gone. He must have left Monday night and I was gone all day Tuesday at the other house.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My heart is breaking for you, Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom , it really truly is. No one could have done more for Oscar than you've done. You've put time, money, love and hope into giving him a wonderful, safe home. So you do not have to forgive yourself for anything. Oscar wasn't a cat you adopted, he literally strayed into your yard, and you being a kind-hearted, animal person, took him under your wing, and made him as much a part of your furry family as he would allow. Oscar just couldn't understand that the life you were offering him, was better than anything he could imagine, and that makes me sad for both of you. :redheartpump:

I do doubt he's gone too far. I mean, where would he go? He escaped, wasn't chased or frightened into running off. So I suspect he's nearby, and probably starting to get hungry.

Keep an eye out for him all day today. Then tomorrow, and the other days you won't be home, focus on the things you have to do. And, of course, make time to spend with your dear shepherd. :redheartpump:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would set some food out someplace sheltered in your yard and use the camera to keep an eye on the food.

Do you have NextDoor in your area? You could check and then post something about him missing. I too really believe he is in the area and not far. He will come back for food.

I can only imagine how heartbroken you are right now. You have so much going on in your life right now. It's important to spend time with your beloved shepherd as well as getting your old house ready.

We are all here to help and support you. Oscar is one tough boy.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear the news about Oscar's escape. However, bringing him with you was the absolute right thing to do so please set aside those doubts once and for all. Lots of good ideas have already been posted for finding him and luring him back with food. I would contact the person who constructed the catio and worked on the shed and ask him to repair the opening and make sure the shed is secure.

When my mother's feral cat escaped from the sanctuary where I had taken him (long story!), he didn't go far and was seen nearby soon afterwards because people in the neighborhood were feeding cats. Oscar is a smart and cautious cat and I also believe that he has not gone far away. Perhaps the future will once again include an "outside Oscar" who makes use of the catio and shed for shelter, for a comfortable bed, and during bad weather. Please take care of yourself during this stressful time. Fingers crossed for a happy outcome.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have my ladder up here. I’m not sure I can express how hard it is to be getting my house ready which is two hrs away - caring for my house and cats here and next week my 14 yr old shepherd gets pts the same day my house goes on the market.

once I got him up here and the airconditoner in - I thought I could focus on those other things.

I am doing all this alone and so can’t get a camera up without a ladder and have to leave tomorrow at 5 am to go down and clean mow the lawn etc. Do that also on Satirday and Monday and then my shep leaves Wednesday. I don’t have to bandwidth to do more than put out food and call him. I hope hesmells My dogs in the yard. But I fear he’s long gone. He must have left Monday night and I was gone all day Tuesday at the other house.
I've been sick in bed all day and just read your news. I'm devastated, too. But I agree with all of the other posters that you did THE RIGHT THING and not to spend one second blaming yourself or beating yourself up. Whoever constructed the shed gets the blame!!! and absolutely should be made to repair it A/O free of charge (or as close as you can get in today's market). It's absolutely on him/them.
I do respectully disagree about putting out a litter box. I've read that this is not a good thing to do as it can attract those you don't want to attract. So good that you just changed the boxes. I'd leave them there.
And I'd absolutely place a message on NextDoor and put up flyers if you can, with his picture and as much contact info as you wish to give.
I believe he will come back. Two weeks is the time experts ask people to keep cats indoors when they move, whether the cat is an indoor or outdoor cat or combination. Keep your eyes open. I know your plate is more than full. But you love him, he knows this, and you have invested a lot in his wellbeing. *PRAYERS*

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I had just changed all the litter this morning before I realized the open space. Ugh.
Looks like the repair has to be done from inside to be more secure. It is possible to do it from the outside but it has to be reinforced well.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not blame yourself for this. Feral cats are very clever and if they find away to escape- they will take it. When I trapped my first feral years ago, she escaped when I was trying to change the newspaper which she soiled. I used one divider pressed down from the top of the trap. Well, I must've have pushed down enough because she pushed it and it went up and she escaped. Every since that boo boo I used two dividers one going down from the top and one coming from the sides and never had another kittiy escape. I hope that gives you an idea how clever feral kitties are.

The other members hear have given you some great advice which you can use. I take care of outdoor kitties and from my experience a cat in a new territory is going to feel vunerable and stay close to it's food source. So if you could put out some trail cams and leave food in strategic places, you can see if he is still around

Here is advice from a member here on TCS who had her rescued feral kitty (Thrasher) get out of the house and go missing. The kitty was scared and laying low. Maybe Jcatbird Jcatbird post on her thread could help you in searching for Oscar. She gives a lot of tips in how to search for a feral. Here is her post. My Feral And Rescued Cats
Jcatbird has a house full of rescued ferals, so she really knows her stuff.

Well, I hope that helps. I am hope he comes back and you can retrap him soon enough. Take care. ❤