Feral in my garage

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have read your situation and while I don't have feral experience one thing that popped in my head is in the eventual catio (as big as you can make it) add some vegetation, shrubbery, ornamental grass than he can hide in outdoors- since he hides in shrubs at your place now.
Cat grass growing also? I have one cat that loves it. Although he chews it to nubs in the pot so I have to just give it sometimes in the pot.
Find old logs on the ground to put in? Leaning up to climb? I've never done a catio either but I'd think that would be good to do. Scratching surfaces outdoors.
This is hard. But love for Oscar can win out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems the shed might be the best choice since it is the farthest away from the house, but that said - I have no idea where to put my lawnmower and those shed type things. I may have to buy another shed or something for those.

I wish I could make the basement work since it is much larger, and I do know that mice get down there occasionally! I will take some pictures of that to post in a few days when I go up there.

Thanks everyone.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have no idea where to put my lawnmower and those shed type things. I may have to buy another shed or something for those.
Lawnmower and gardening stuffs are not as important as getting Oscar in. Those things can be stored elsewhere or get a smaller shed for them and place it away from Oscar's shed.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Thanks for thinking of me. My house closing is in one week.

I have been feeding Oscar twice a day ongoing and I am happy to say that he made it safely through the winter.

I really do not know what is best going forward. I did talk to a couple contractors about putting a window in the shed and building a cattery. They did not seem interested in the project but as I do not yet own the house - I can't push for a commitment.

My indecision about what to do going forward is that I don't know if Oscar is going to be happy in an 8 x 8 shed with a window to an outside enclosure. Assuming I can get that built. I do think that it's my only option since it's away from the house and so he won't hear the dogs at night. However, I am not sure if he will be happy enclosed for the rest of his life. I can make the space as nice as possible with a cat tree, but it is still not what he's used to his whole life living outside.

I wish the house was up against some woods as I would keep him confined for a month and then let him out. But, this house is on a busy road with neighbors on all sides so there is no where for him to go if he gets out or is loose.

I keep hoping that the answer will present itself and I will know what to do. Neither choice is ideal and I am very stressed about it.

Thank you for caring,

Liz

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just want to do the best thing for my boy.
I know you do, which is why I'm going to mention something that you might want to possibly consider - an animal communicator. I've never used one myself, but other members have. Some had zero success, others were pleased with the results. Here's a couple older threads that discuss them, in case it's something you might be interested in.

My experience with an animal communicator
Animal Communicator Feedback?
I’m seriously considering paying an animal communicator has anyone done this?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you - I will check those links out. Good idea.

I have used one before and she was excellent. I used her when I adopted my German Shepherd since I wanted to be doubly sure that she would not eat my cats. I also used her when my late Sampson was dying of cancer.

That said - she stopped doing it and so would have to find someone reputable. But that's a great idea. Thank you!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My indecision about what to do going forward is that I don't know if Oscar is going to be happy in an 8 x 8 shed with a window to an outside enclosure. Assuming I can get that built. I do think that it's my only option since it's away from the house and so he won't hear the dogs at night. However, I am not sure if he will be happy enclosed for the rest of his life. I can make the space as nice as possible with a cat tree, but it is still not what he's used to his whole life living outside.
If you ask me, my answer is bring him in. Make the shed as comfortable as you can for him, with a catio that he can come out in the open and being safe.

He's trying to put his trust in you else he would not be hanging around your current place. Yes, it'll be another hurdle for him to cross while transiting over at the shed and it'll take some time for him to get over it and realize that being indoors is better than being outdoors. It's a uphill task for the both of you but it's for the best.

Being inside means he gets to see you all the time and you get to see him all the time and all this will make the transition faster and for the long run, good for both of you.

Here are some articles on cat enclosures :- cat-enclosures

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to give an update about things.
FIrst, Oscar is still coming twice a day for food, so he is doing OK as far as I know. Again, he always is six feet from me on the side of my yard in the brush and looking out. We make eye contact, I do the slow eye blink and he hisses. I tell him I love him and put down the food into the trap where I feed him. THat's been the routine. And then at night - he is either on the side of my yard around 4 pm or under my car on the little bed later that night.

As far as the new house goes, I did find someone to install a window in the shed. That will happen a week from tomorrow. Once the window is in, I can hopefully get the same guy to build a catio. Again, I don't know if this is going to be an OK life for Oscar. In a 8 x 8 shed with a catio attached to one window, but it's the best I can do for him.

I still haven't moved much there and I am in the process of getting a fence put up for the dogs. Then I have to move my stuff, get the catio built, and move my two dogs, two indoor cats, and all my stuff up there. And then come back here and work on this house to sell. It's alot and I want to cry just thinking about it! But for now, I will focus on getting the window installed in a week.

Fingers crossed - send prayers!

Liz

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As far as the new house goes, I did find someone to install a window in the shed. That will happen a week from tomorrow. Once the window is in, I can hopefully get the same guy to build a catio. Again, I don't know if this is going to be an OK life for Oscar. In a 8 x 8 shed with a catio attached to one window, but it's the best I can do for him.
You are doing great for Oscar!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't want to get my hopes up that it will all work out . . .but I am praying it does. Hopefully I can get it done, nothing will happen to him before I can trap him, that I can trap him, and transport him up.

I guess one step at a time and trying not to worry.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't want to get my hopes up that it will all work out . . .but I am praying it does. Hopefully I can get it done, nothing will happen to him before I can trap him, that I can trap him, and transport him up.

We hope that all goes well too.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love that you have a plan and are making a home for Oscar. He will adjust. It will take time. Thank you for the update.

Moving is so hard. I was always told that MOVE is a 4 letter word! I moved 4 years ago with 6 cats and a dog. We did lots of work on the house before moving and then like you had to get our previous house ready to sell. We were an hour away. It was months of back and forth. I thought I would drop over. I was so worried about the cats. Three of them had been outside feral cats. I moved them into my house 2 months before our move. They did great. I was the one who struggled!

You are in my thoughts. Sending wonderful vibes your way.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love that you have a plan and are making a home for Oscar. He will adjust. It will take time. Thank you for the update.

Moving is so hard. I was always told that MOVE is a 4 letter word! I moved 4 years ago with 6 cats and a dog. We did lots of work on the house before moving and then like you had to get our previous house ready to sell. We were an hour away. It was months of back and forth. I thought I would drop over. I was so worried about the cats. Three of them had been outside feral cats. I moved them into my house 2 months before our move. They did great. I was the one who struggled!

You are in my thoughts. Sending wonderful vibes your way.
Yes! You can relate. This place is 1 1/2 hrs away and I have to do everything alone :( It will be back and forth and I am a wreck. Trying to live by "one day at a time" since it's too much to think about. Regarding the window - The only reason that I got someone to do the window is that he wants to date me :oops: I told him just friends and am hoping that it doesn't get weird! I need the window and catio!

What we do for our animals ... .

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! You can relate. This place is 1 1/2 hrs away and I have to do everything alone :( It will be back and forth and I am a wreck. Trying to live by "one day at a time" since it's too much to think about. Regarding the window - The only reason that I got someone to do the window is that he wants to date me :oops: I told him just friends and am hoping that it doesn't get weird! I need the window and catio!

PS. As far as men - I found that if you have multiple cats or threaten to have at least ten...it keeps them away! lol

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We make eye contact, I do the slow eye blink and he hisses.
:lolup:
I shouldn't laugh, but couldn't help it. :lol:

As far as the new house goes, I did find someone to install a window in the shed.
Great news! :clap2:

Again, I don't know if this is going to be an OK life for Oscar. In a 8 x 8 shed with a catio attached to one window, but it's the best I can do for him.
It's better than being left behind without his human to hiss at. :catman:

And I still have hope of him eventually joining the furmily inside the house. :petcat::catlove:

1648219422898.png

Regarding the window - The only reason that I got someone to do the window is that he wants to date me :oops: I told him just friends and am hoping that it doesn't get weird! I need the window and catio!
Uh oh ...

Yup. :lol:

PS. As far as men - I found that if you have multiple cats or threaten to have at least ten...it keeps them away! lol
1648219852310.png

Good luck with everything. Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.