Feral in my garage

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been thinking about you and Oscar some more. How many rooms in the new house? How far is it from where you are now? And is there any time between closing dates, or are the on the same day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about you and Oscar some more. How many rooms in the new house? How far is it from where you are now? And is there any time between closing dates, or are the on the same day?
Good morning. The new house is 1 1/2 hours away. I will probably close mid march on the new house and move by the end of march with the old house being sold sometime in April. I will be back and forth.

The new house has three bedrooms and is small at 1100 sf. I have no problem bringing him into a bedroom but based on my last experience, it won't work for him. When I had him in the garage, he ate eventhough I didn't see him. When I had him in my house that time, he didn't move for 4 days. I am sure it is the presence of three dogs and two cats in the house so close. Oscar has stayed alive for the past 4 - 5 years outside by avoiding predators. So while I got blasted for letting him go (after he didn't eat or even move for 4 days) - most of the cat rescuers who said "he'll eat eventually, mine always do" didn't have three 80 lb dogs running around the house.

So, I have to find him a separate living quarters. If I could find someone to cut a hole in the shed - maybe I could put a cat door in there to a catio? But the shed is only 8 x 8 so it's small and I will have lawn equipment in there. The basement could work and maybe a catio attached to a window - but it's cement floor, and I wouldn't want to live down there. Most of it is only 3 ft high with a 12 x 12 regular height portion.

I almost didn't buy the house due to this situation and maybe I shouldn't have.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was hoping the house was a bit closer than that, as 1 1/2 hours certainly isn't something you can do every day. But at least there is time between you moving in, and no longer owning your current place.

What I was thinking though, what if you set up a room for Oscar before you and your fur family move in. Let him acclimate while the house is empty and quiet. His room would be a 4 star deluxe room, with a cat tree at the window, cat beds, toys, boxes to hide in, some cat calming music playing, maybe even Feliway. Oh, and a camera so you can see how he's doing. He'd be alone, except for your visits, and therefore might not be afraid to eat, and hopefully would continue to eat ok, once you all move in. And then you could work on gaining his trust, and eventually integrating him into the family.

The other options of either the shed or basement, honestly don't seem doable, because neither is a place you could comfortably spend hours just hanging out with him. I'm not even sure if they'd be safe, as you mention lawn equipment in the shed, and the basement crawl space sounds rather dreary.

And, of course, the last option is to plan to leave him where he is, and slowly start feeding him less, so that he'll find a new food source.

I know how much you love that gorgeous cat, and I wish for you and him, he wasn't so set in his feral ways.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was hoping the house was a bit closer than that, as 1 1/2 hours certainly isn't something you can do every day. But at least there is time between you moving in, and no longer owning your current place.

What I was thinking though, what if you set up a room for Oscar before you and your fur family move in. Let him acclimate while the house is empty and quiet. His room would be a 4 star deluxe room, with a cat tree at the window, cat beds, toys, boxes to hide in, some cat calming music playing, maybe even Feliway. Oh, and a camera so you can see how he's doing. He'd be alone, except for your visits, and therefore might not be afraid to eat, and hopefully would continue to eat ok, once you all move in. And then you could work on gaining his trust, and eventually integrating him into the family.

The other options of either the shed or basement, honestly don't seem doable, because neither is a place you could comfortably spend hours just hanging out with him. I'm not even sure if they'd be safe, as you mention lawn equipment in the shed, and the basement crawl space sounds rather dreary.

And, of course, the last option is to plan to leave him where he is, and slowly start feeding him less, so that he'll find a new food source.

I know how much you love that gorgeous cat, and I wish for you and him, he wasn't so set in his feral ways.
I do appreciate the house suggestions but I do think the "threat" of 3 big dogs who bark and howl will be too much once I move in. I had fostered a sweet kitten years ago who had been born outside to a feral mom. The kitten was not feral, but once she came here - she had ongoing UTI's for the two months she was here. Whenever the dogs would bark or howl, she would be terrified even though they were loving towards her and she towards them . .it was the noise and "alarm" they sounded which stressed her out.

I love Oscar but really feels he needs to be separate like he was in my garage. Again though, he hid in the rafters for the three months he was in there. I will post a picture of the basement for input. My gut is telling me that if I keep lawn equipment out of the shed and somehow can build a catio -maybe that would work? But, for a cat who has lived his entire life outside, I am not sure if a 8 x 8 shed with a catio is a life he would be content with.

This is so hard. I wonder if there is any kind of a separate structure that I can think of that he could live in. Next I will post basement pictures.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I totally understand the dogs stressing him out. And I remember he stopped eating after being in the garage for a while.

But, for a cat who has lived his entire life outside, I am not sure if a 8 x 8 shed with a catio is a life he would be content with.
That's what I'm thinking too, that for a cat who has only lived outside, being in the shed, even with a catio, might feel like being caged.

What is the area like where you're moving? Rural or urban? Would eventually letting him outside be an option? If so, I think 90 minutes from his current territory should hopefully be far enough for him not to try to return there.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally understand the dogs stressing him out. And I remember he stopped eating after being in the garage for a while.

That's what I'm thinking too, that for a cat who has only lived outside, being in the shed, even with a catio, might feel like being caged.

What is the area like where you're moving? Rural or urban? Would eventually letting him outside be an option? If so, I think 90 minutes from his current territory should hopefully be far enough for him not to try to return there.
It's more rural than where I am now - but the house is on a somewhat busy road. And unlike my property now, there is no woods behind it. I could keep him confined for a certain time, and then let him leave but he won't have an easy time of it finding a quiet place to live.

I feel like a failure in buying this house. I was so hoping for a garage or "away" structure that was big and that I could attach a catio too.

When I leave where I am, they will definitely add to the house, clear-cut the back yard of all habitat, and destroy his hang-out places in my yard. That may not be as bad as it sounds since he does have other territory around here but I don't know where it is. I have offered to send neighbors food to feed him, but no one will agree to do it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just want to say you are not a failure for buying this house. You needed to find something in your budget, and in this real estate market, I'm sure that was difficult. So you were lucky to get it.

And I'm really not sure what the answer is about Oscar. Hopefully other members, particularly those who unlike me have feral experience, will see your updated news and reply with thoughts / suggestions.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My two options are the basement (which only has an outdoor hatchway so no interior access.) It's a cement floor and has some small windows. It's about 12 x 18 full height where the mechanical stuff is and then the rest is a crawl space with a cement floor and insulation above that. Its probably about 3 1/2 feet. I have thought about putting a catio out of one of the windows. The other option is the shed in the back of the yard. I would have to have someone cut a window and attach a catio to that.
This may work for Oscar. As long as he's separated from the dogs and the dogs have no way to get near him, Oscar will settle down eventually.

Oscar just need his own space and the only contact he'll get is you. You just have to plan carefully whether you want him in the base meant and make it cozy for him with access to the catio big enough and cozy for him to be outdoors and also same goes for the shed. Cordon off a substantial space for him while contracting the catio so that he don't feel fenced in.

Once this is set up, he needs more of your presence to be assured that he is safe and loved. It just take time and this time spent is worth it as compared to your worrying about him being outdoors and not being safe. Once he gets used to it being either in the basement or shed with access to the catio, he'll know that indoors is safer than outdoors. But you need to interact with him all the time and not visit him as though he's in the zoo and look and talk with him from a distance.

He pretty need much to just trust you that's all else he won't come to you for food. You can make this work, we believe in you.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing great. I work with nothing but ferals and it is always a matter of watching and working through things. Any enclosed space in your property to keep him safe will work. An attached catio will give him the feel of outside while still be safe. Trust me, when they learn they are safe and cared for, they have immense gratitude and settle in to a life where they no longer have to run for their lives, go hungry or shiver in the cold. They do recognize the easier life. I wish I could give you a window to my world because it would really reassure you. Take Oscar with you, do not just turn him back outside. Give him time. Use some Feliway when you get there, take anything that carries the scents he already knows to put with him and trust him to understand in time that life has given him the best that could ever happen. The shed or the basement can work. If the shed has electricity, he’ll be okay. It can be his kitty house as can the basement. Looking forward to pictures of the new location! Congratulations on the new house!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can do this! Several years ago, when I brought a semi-feral cat and a stray cat into a safe room in my house, I considered having a catio built to extend the space they would (eventually) share with my two other cats. Things worked out well and the extra space wasn't necessary so I changed my mind about the catio, but I did a lot of research, searching for info and pictures about catios. You may have already done this. The possibilities are endless! So many cool and creative ways to make a cat happy AND safe outside.

If a final plan isn't in place when you move, you could always start out with Oscar in a bedroom (Rubysmama had some good ideas about that) and just maybe he would be OK with the dogs. It might be worth a try. If you are sure this wouldn't work, you can start now to plan the catio. Oscar could be in the shed (with his soft bed, food, water, toys, etc.) and a catio could extend from there. If the shed is near the house, you could have a tunnel that leads to the basement and he could go back and forth! The catio can be really big with shelves to rest on, safe plants to chew, and logs to climb up. There are articles about different kinds of roofing to protect from the sun and bad weather. You will have to go into the catio at times so it will need a door either on the outside or you could make the entry from the shed a door rather than just a small cat-size hole. The space can be large enough to accommodate a chair for you to relax and join Oscar. Maybe install a fountain!

There are also cat-safe fences that can be installed around a yard or around part of a yard. Although I have heard of a cat that escaped a poorly-made such fence, there are several different options for fences that might be worth exploring. Lots of exciting and clever ways to make this happen!

Congratulations on your new home! Thank you for taking such good care of Oscar and for giving him a chance at a safe new life!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I knew once members who've worked with ferals posted, they'd have a different perspective than me, who only has experience with pet cats. So thanks tabbytom tabbytom , Jcatbird Jcatbird and Avery Avery for helping me see that either the shed or basement would in fact be workable as a safe space for Oscar. @bitsymom: hope once you read their posts, you'll feel a bit more positive about things too. 🤗

Here's the TCS article on Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles that might be helpful.

Plus a link to all the TCS threads with catio in the title.
Search Results for Query: catio

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your responses.

A couple of things. One is that I DO want to bring Oscar with me, but please understand he is EXTREMELY feral. I have been feeding him 2 times a day for over a year, and while I can get within 5 feet of him, if I go any closer . . . he hisses. The idea that he could be inside with my dogs and two other cats someday is not realistic when I can't even get close to him. He did not eat or drink or move for four days when I had him isolated in a room in my house - he was so stressed. I received sharp criticism from many who said I should wait it out which I did not do; releasing him on day 5. Most cat rescuers do not have 180 lbs of dog in the next room barking and howling and sniffing. He watches them in the yard, but they don't go near him as he is safely tucked in the bushes.

Second thing is I do want to make sure that the shed and or basement will be OK for him. I will post pictures to get feedback.

Thanks everyone.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking forward to the photos. That may help us to help you go a step further in your plans.
Some of us have had big dogs in the mix. We do understand the conflict. Oscar is in survival mode when the doggie howls. We aren’t discounting that factor. I just so grateful you have options for Oscar. Many here have had to work out complications but since this is a very large site, you will have access to a great many who have figured out ways to get through nearly every obstacle. We all have learned so much by being on this site and have seen so many complicated relationships. Everything from new babies in a house to allergic humans to roommates who were afraid of or disliked cats to one having to be isolated from another, to an array of other animals in the mix. Fortunately we can go back and see the many solutions that members offered and the ones that worked. ;) We’ll all stay dedicated to you, your doggies and to Oscar. Anytime you feel the need to vent concerns or ask a question, we’ll search diligently to support you. Hopefully it is also kind of exciting to have a new house!:heartshape:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom : Guessing you're feeling overwhelmed right now. 🤗 But I believe things will work, starting with either the basement or shed, then maybe a later option of fencing off a large enclosure in your backyard. Norachan Norachan did that for her ferals, and she's posted pics of it in the past. There's a few pics, in fact, in the Question of the day - Sunday 13 February thread.

Also, it's *only* been a year that you've been trying to gain Oscar's trust. It really can take longer than that, as in angels mommy angels mommy case with Honey, who took 2 years to finally do head bumps. Video at this link: Panther has a broken femer!

So don't believe it's impossible for Oscar to become more trusting. He just needs more time, and once he figures it out, I bet he'll end up being a love bug.:petcat:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Second thing is I do want to make sure that the shed and or basement will be OK for him. I will post pictures to get feedback.
What has past previously, let it be. Don't go back and dwell on that. Your focus is ahead and not what you did wrong. Jcatbird Jcatbird is right. Oscar is in survival mode when the dogs are howling at him. During this time, he'll definitely not eat, drink or move. But that's over. Prepare yourself and for Oscar what's ahead. Remember this rule, whenever one is dealing with a stray or feral, it's always one step forward and two steps back.

Just have lots of patience and love and we know you have them. It'll take some time before Oscar clears the hurdle and as what rubysmama rubysmama mentioned, some have taken 2 years and definitely it's not impossible. You have the heart, so don't give up.

The basement or the shed? You have to decide and make plans for it as you know the layout of the house on how you can make super sure that the dogs will never get close. Or like what Jcatbird Jcatbird also mentioned, photos and your plans are welcomed here so that suggestions can be made to help things go smoother. We are definitely with you. Don't worry and don't give up.

ESAkibble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

About two months ago I became aware of a cat trying to find food in my recycling bin (there were empty cat food cans in there from my two cats) when my dogs chased him away. I thought he must be a stray or feral since none of my neighbors are animal lovers. So, to help him, I started putting one small can out every night. That graduated to him coming here to be fed twice a day, in the morning and at night. I could not get near him, but he would eat and see me watching him through the storm door. His ear was notched but he was definitely alone. This went on for a month and then I called a rescue group to trap him to get him shots and for me potentially to bring him inside.

Anyway, the rescue group did trap him and get him shots, but the woman had him in a trap for 6 days unbeknownst to me. Anyway, that is water under the bridge but she said he was "very feral" and didn't think I should crate him in my house since he might "go for me." So, because the weather is bad, she released him in my garage. My garage is freezing but there is no snow or rain and I put a heated bed and also a down comforter along with litter in there.

He has been in there now for one month! He uses the litter and eats (only once a day even though I put food in the morning since I think he feels safer in the dark.) I have only seen him twice since he freaks when he sees me and flys up onto the rafters and so I quickly leave because I don't want him to hurt himself.
The question that I have is this: Do I leave the door open at night next week since it is getting warmer? So he can leave? I don't know if he will but should I give him that option? I will be moving from here in about 3 months and that worries me. I could always try to retrap him and bring him with me if I have too but he is very smart and so retrapping might not be possible. The other option is to keep him in the garage for another 3 months but that is a horrible option I think. There is nothing in there and he doesn't seem to be using the cats beds or blanket. I just think he's up on the rafters. I cannot work with him since he is terrified of me.

It makes me so sad that he has never known a kind hand or a warm bed and I want to help him if I can. I just don't know what to do next. He now has his shots and is neutered, and about 14 lbs, and 4 to 5 years old.

Thanks!!
Sounds sooo familiar. The only concern I had with leaving the door open at night was the predators getting in. I lived across from a wildlife sanctuary so the concern was very legit. I think I used to close the door at night so long as he was in or installed a cat door to deter wildlife. Can you put a door in or is he consistent with when he comes in? Sometimes you can typos train him to be in at night. He did eventually enjoy being pet and would come around if he saw me sitting out front. He was very fresh LOL he enjoyed terrorizing the stray in the basement despite having the entire 2 bay garage to himself. He’d have me running down screaming at the top of my lungs because I could hear them growling or screaming at each other. The dogs would start barking from inside the house.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As promised - this is a picture of the shed. It's only 8 x 8 and so he might feel cornered in it and/or try to escape. I would have to have someone cut a window in it and then build an attached catio before I put him in. The small size concerns me.

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As promised - this is a picture of the shed. It's only 8 x 8 and so he might feel cornered in it and/or try to escape. I would have to have someone cut a window in it and then build an attached catio before I put him in. The small size concerns me.
8x8 is not too bad considering that he has the whole shed to himself. You may want to make it very comfortable for him by building some shelves in the shed so that he can climb top and down and look out the windows and also place a heater in there too. Make it as comfortable as possible for him. Have a scratch post or two in there for him too and also I think you have to fence up the place even though if you build a catio because you need to get into the shed to change his litterbox and place food for him in there. Build as big a catio as you can. If it's big enough, he won't feel so fenced in and also he has a private villa (shed) to retreat to.

As for now, try to get some blankets to soak uo his scents so that when you get him into the shed, there is familiar scents and that will help calm him down.

Maybe others have better suggestions. Wait for the rest to reply.