Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just checked on him - it's 7:15 am here.

The food was untouched as was the litter. And, he was frozen in the same spot as he was yesterday at 4 pm. He was puffed up and starring at me, on top of the cat cube.

I managed to put fresh food down and talk to him for a couple of minutes. No sound, no movement. Then I left and closed to door, but my two cats were outside meowing. They know someone is in there.

Anyway, that's it. Trying not to worry!

Thanks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the fact that he is quiet is a very good sign. He is not trying to get out. It may take him a few days to settle his nerves and his fears. I would try to check on his periodically throughout the day. Are you feeding him only dry food? If needed you might want to have some stinky food to try. I often would get frightened cats to lap of tuna water that I had strained from a can. I would add a few flecks of tuna in the water as well. This often tempted their appetite so I was certain to have other food available too.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another option is to cover more of the crate. I think you said one part was covered and the other open. Maybe try to cover part of the other crate too leaving only a small amount of light. At this point, it's just trial and error. You have to try things to see what works. Yet this is still early in the game and he is still afraid. Do you have any feliway?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One food I've read that ferals can't resist is KFC. So keep that in the back of your mind, for a food emergency. Maybe, if you like it, even a treat for yourself. 🤗

Oscar still being scared, and not moved, or eaten, is normal. In fact, some non-feral cats get adopted into homes and react the exact same way.

Here's another TCS article that might have some tips for you. It's for helping previously abused cats, which doesn't actually apply to Oscar, but the approaches to take to earn trust, should work with scared cats too.
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

Oh, yesterday when I posted the link to when Jcatbird Jcatbird 's feral, BJ, came inside, I should have gone back a few more posts. Here's the link to him looking scared, just before he came inside.
My Feral And Rescued Cats

Good luck with things today. Keep us posted.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks.
I ordered the feliway but it won’t be here until Friday.
I’m trying to be positive but as far as freaks who come in the house - I couldn’t get within 6 ft with him after this entire year. Maybe ten feet but he couldn’t be out in the open. And he’d never eat if I was within 25 ft. He’s really extremely feral which is why I am worried for him and me. This has got to be so stressful.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.
I ordered the feliway but it won’t be here until Friday.
I’m trying to be positive but as far as freaks who come in the house - I couldn’t get within 6 ft with him after this entire year. Maybe ten feet but he couldn’t be out in the open. And he’d never eat if I was within 25 ft. He’s really extremely feral which is why I am worried for him and me. This has got to be so stressful.
But he's relaxing, not throwing himself against his enclosure. Count that as a good thing. You've fed him and visited him. Those are good things. Now you can relax and go about your day. He is doing well.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also keep in mind to try the tuna in water. Mostly water with some tuna flecks. Tuna in oil can be used in a pinch too. Also is there anyway to move the food any closer to him. Maybe get a long pole or even opened up wire coat hanger and push the food closer to him.

He may choose to wait until night time when the house is quiet and all is dark.

Patience, patience, patience. He has been through a lot. This is all 100% new to him.

Next time you go into the room, tell him that you are going to take care of him and give him a wonderful life. Tell him that you will never hurt him. I truly believe that animals have a way of understanding our intentions. Most importantly, tell him he is safe. I used to use the phrase, "you are safe" over and over when I brought a feral inside.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to shadowsrescue shadowsrescue 's suggestions, also when you go to enter his room, tap at the door and say "Oscar, it's Mommy". Let him get used to knowing when he hears the door, and your voice, that's it's going to be you coming into the room.

Also try not to loom over him, if possible. Stay low to the ground.

And don't stare him in the eyes. If you do look at him, do the slow blink thing, so he knows you're not being aggressive.

And when you have time to spend with him, just sit on the floor, not even necessarily facing him. Just be in the room, so he gets used to your presence, and learns you're not a threat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, one more thing I wanted to mention. I know seeing Oscar in the crate makes you feel sorry for him. And, of course, he's probably feeling sorry for himself.

But please remember he's safe, and healthy.

There's another member here on TCS who has been feeding 2 stray/ferals for the past 18 months or so. One is very tame, but neither were her cats, even though she was the only human who cared about them.

One day a few weeks ago the tamer male didn't come for breakfast, or dinner. Of course she started to worry, and as it turned out, for good reason. Finally somehow Panther dragged himself back to the only person he knew would help him. He had a badly mangled back leg, which ended up needing to be amputated.

Panther is now doing well, and living with his human, as an inside cat, but his life won't ever be the same as before. And his adopted Mom now has hundreds of dollars in vet care debt.

Thankfully nothing like that ever happened to Oscar, but life for ferals and strays is dangerous, and because of you, Oscar will never have to face those dangers again. :redheartpump:

If you want to read Panther's story, here's the link:Panther has a broken femer!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is very sad about Panther. I am so glad he got the care he needed at least <3

I went in and laid on the floor and talked to Oscar. I will do it again.

He's picky with food. I have tried human tuna in the past and he doesn't eat it. I tried human salmon, sardines, you name it. He likes Fancy Feast- especially the stinky fish - and of course treats. I have tried all of those.

I hope that cats won't starve themselves or get sick from not eating. He's a big boy so it can't be good for his organs to not eat. I pray he will.

Thank you.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a good feeling that he will eat overnight. You might scatter some treats all around the crate and close to him. I think once he gets a taste of food, he will eat.

You are doing great! Just think of all the progress you made in 24 hours!! He is inside and safe. He's not agitated or aggressive. He's calm and quiet! All good signs. More good things will happen in time.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a good feeling that he will eat overnight. You might scatter some treats all around the crate and close to him. I think once he gets a taste of food, he will eat.

You are doing great! Just think of all the progress you made in 24 hours!! He is inside and safe. He's not agitated or aggressive. He's calm and quiet! All good signs. More good things will happen in time.
I just want him to eat!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just want him to eat!!!
Oscar is a survivor - he will eat when he know he has to. It may not be much initially, but it will be something. It is amazing how perseverant animals are. When matching patience skills, they will beat us out every darn time!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He just needs to relax and he will start to eat. Try warming up his favourite Fancy Feast so that it smells more appetizing. Hot KFC is known to work wonders too. If you get yourself a portion you could go into his room to eat it and push a little bit of the chicken through the crate towards him.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning,

I am so sad. I have done everything from KFC toTina to chicken baby food and he hasn’t eaten. That last time he ate was Saturday. Today is the third day of no food.

it may be my house - dogs barking in close proximity and two cats meowing.

I have to figure out something so if he doesn’t eat today - I have a plan.