Feral in my garage

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might have already been said, but after letting him settle a bit in his 'new space', go into the room at other times besides when trying to feed him/change his water/scoop the litter. He needs to see that you will be around him at other times when you are not necessarily 'invading his space'. That will help him adapt and know to expect to see you around a lot. I think you did something similar when was in your garage, yes? Talking to him or reading a book softly out loud, etc.

Was there anything you did before to mute the dogs barking? Could he hear them when he was in your garage or other locations? Do you think he could accept some 'background' noise, like cat music - something to help reduce what he can hear of the dogs?

Saying something softly when you open the door to his room, just so he knows you are coming in can help too. And, leave a little bit of light on at night, just - well, just because.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, he used to watch the dogs walk around the yard. And no, I cannot mute their barking . . .they are big dogs.

I had a foster kitten a few years ago and had to give her to another foster since with me she got constant UTI's. She'd hear the dogs bark and be terrorized. She wasn't scared of the dogs (she was a kitten) but the noise terrified her. And, she got uti after uti from stress. I will try not to worry about this boy but I feel terrible!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, he used to watch the dogs walk around the yard. And no, I cannot mute their barking . . .they are big dogs. I had a foster kitten a few years ago and had to give her to another foster since with me she got constant UTI's. She'd hear the dogs bark and be terrorized. She wasn't scared of the dogs (she was a kitten) but the noise terrified her. And, she got uti after uti from stress. I will try not to worry about this boy but I feel terrible!
The fact that he is somewhat familiar with the dogs is a good thing. He knows 'who' they are, just by sounds alone. If he didn't get a UTI when he was in your garage (and you would have known it because he would have become very ill), odds are it won't happen this time either. Let that worry go for now, and keep up the good effort!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he used to watch the dogs walk around the yard. And no, I cannot mute their barking . . .they are big dogs.

I had a foster kitten a few years ago and had to give her to another foster since with me she got constant UTI's. She'd hear the dogs bark and be terrorized. She wasn't scared of the dogs (she was a kitten) but the noise terrified her. And, she got uti after uti from stress. I will try not to worry about this boy but I feel terrible!
The article that rubysmama rubysmama linked to is excellent and should give you answers and more confidence. My intuition, reinforced by the article, would say NO, don't freshen or change his food. He's in a cool room. The food will be fine. So will his litterbox. Many cats don't use a box for a day or so when first brought in, especially if they don't eat. It's no big deal. Leave him alone for the first day, as the article states, and then slowly re-introduce yourself to him. You can use all the safety protocols mentioned in the article. If you don't have welding gloves -- and if you're not a welder, you probably don't -- some nice thick gardening gloves work, or even oven mitts. Definitely wear glasses, sunglasses, goggles -- some kind of eye protection. Better safe than sorry. Remember, he's not mean -- he's scared.
As to the dogs, if he's seen and heard them before, all to the good. The more he hears them, the more he'll hopefully be desensitized to them. They do what they do. As long as he is safe, this is what matters.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
It might have already been said, but after letting him settle a bit in his 'new space', go into the room at other times besides when trying to feed him/change his water/scoop the litter. He needs to see that you will be around him at other times when you are not necessarily 'invading his space'. That will help him adapt and know to expect to see you around a lot. I think you did something similar when was in your garage, yes? Talking to him or reading a book softly out loud, etc.

Was there anything you did before to mute the dogs barking? Could he hear them when he was in your garage or other locations? Do you think he could accept some 'background' noise, like cat music - something to help reduce what he can hear of the dogs?

Saying something softly when you open the door to his room, just so he knows you are coming in can help too. And, leave a little bit of light on at night, just - well, just because.
Excellent advice :clap: :clap2: :bouquet: We sometimes leave a tv and always leave the bathroom and over the stove lights on for Gypsy when neither of us are home (which isn't often:lol2:)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK thanks. I have two choices - a bright 60 watt bulb in the room overhead - or darkness.

What do you recommend as far as overnight?
Cats can see in low light far better than humans. As long as there is some light coming in from the window, there shouldn't be a need to have a light in Oscar's room. A plug-in night light would be best. These are very reasonable and you can get them at almost any supermarket, home supply or hardware store, or online. But until you get some, I'd just leave the room without a light at night. He doesn't need one at all. As long as you have a flashlight (most phones have one if you don't have a separate one) for emergencies, that should be okay.
I leave a radio on my preferred classical station, KUSC.org when I'm out; it's on from around 8 to around 6 every day anyway. I have radios all over the house, and leaving one on low is soothing (though experts say cats don't process music the way we do, and if you want to talk to someone about cat music -- and yes, there is such a thing -- you might ask daftcat75 here on TCS. He'll probably be glad to tell you about it. But don't overthink this. Oscar probably doesn't need music.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually use a night light for night time. Anything else is usually too bright.

I am sure he is used to barking dogs from being outside. The kitten you fostered probably had never heard dogs before.

Try to relax. He needs you to be calm. You have made a decision to try and keep him. Work forward. My hunch is that he will eat a bit tonight. If he doesn't give him something extra yummy and stinky just to get the process working.

I used to use a wireless ip camera to keep an eye on my feral cats at night. It let me know if /when they ate as well as using the litter box and if they moved around at all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One last thing, he will hear my two cats meowing since they are both big talkers. I hope that doesn't scare him.
I presume somewhere along the line of your relatively 'long' past with Oscar, he has heard those cats before - not to mention other cats as well that he has faced outside. He has better hearing than you (or all of us humans) do and can distinguish animal noises better than we can for the most part! As shadowsrescue shadowsrescue said above, you keeping as calm and relaxed as you possibly can is more important than the other pets making noise. He has been through all of that with other animals in his lifetime - he knows those 'routines'!!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
One last thing, he will hear my two cats meowing since they are both big talkers. I hope that doesn't scare him.
I think hearing you interacting with your other fur babys would be a comfort to him. If he is still in the trap make sure to visit him so he won't think he's been abandoned in it like last time.:rock::clapcat:🎃😺

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have gotten lots of great advice. Do not let him go. I have had more spit snd strike than I can tell but every single one of them learned to be very grateful for the safety and love that came later. The night I brought BJ in was ….. tense at first since he was not even in a cage but rather shut in a room with me. Not only did it turn out fine after adjustments, he is my greatest lover and sleeps practically on top of my head every night. He also agreed to allow a harness , short term agreement, to help me do a search and rescue of one of the lady cats he loved. He was amazing! He searched each day and finally found her and led her out. He has had no interest in the harness or going out again since!
It is my personal experience that barn cat programs are sort of last resort for cats that have no human who can take them. Although some barn cats are loved, the risks of owls , hawks, coyotes and other predators are part of daily life for these cats. Barn life is only good if you know the situation first hand and can verify the care and hope for safety. I don’t think you saved this life for more risks? I am quite convinced that you have what it takes to give this kitty a great life. Please don’t give up. You can do this!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wonderful update Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom ! Sorry, I'm a bit late catching up with this thread. I think you're doing all the right things. Glad to hear he's indoors and glad you decided to pass on the Barn Cats offer. Being a barn cat is a good option for a cat if there are no other choices and the cat's life is in danger where they are, but if Oscar has the chance of being an enclosure cat with you that will be much better for him.

His behaviour so far is what you'd expect. I had one feral boy who hid in a wardrobe for the first month that he was indoors. I never saw him at all, he was so fearful of me the only way I knew he was there is that the food would disappear and the litter box would be used. The last semi feral I brought home a few years ago stayed stock still in the trap inside of her crate for 48 hours. She didn't dare move, eat or pee until she was sure no harm was going to come to her. Both of these cats are really comfortable being house/enclosure cats now. Don't be surprised if he acts really scared for the first few days. He will, slowly and gradually, realise nothing is going to hurt him.

Cats have great hearing so he will be used to the sound of your dogs and cats by now. He will have been hearing them for months while he's been eating outside so they shouldn't scare him too much.

Hang in there, I know this is just as stressful for you as it is for him.

:hangin:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Norachan,

And yes, it is completely stressful for me! I didn't sleep much last night thinking about him in the next room. I am going to go in and check on him around 7 am and am hoping perhaps some food will be gone.

My biggest fear is that he will "go for me" as the rescue group indicated that he was a "nasty aggressive" feral and I would be in danger. That was when they had him for 6 days last February. I have no reason to question them since they trap cats all the time and know more than I do. That said - I will give him a chance but my biggest fear is him running at me trying to get out of the crate or at me. From everything I have read here, that is unlikely but it still makes me nervous.

OK - one step at a time I guess. Thank you!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
With my last crated semi-feral I had to make myself a kind of shield to block the crate door while I was dealing with food, water and the litter box. She was too nervous to move, but I was concerned about how I would get her back in the crate if she tried to make a run for it. Do you have any way of blocking the door or the hiding spot he is in while you give him more food?

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if cardboard will do it. He is super fast and big . . . probably 15-16 lbs. I have done a great job of fattening him up the last 8 months of regular food.

I do have a crate divider but it is cumbersome to put in since I have to have the door open all the way to finagle it in. It's almost the size of the crate and so not easy to slide right in.

I guess I will see if there is anything else I can use or slide. Since I have two crates together, ideally I would slide something down in between, but there is too much metal hardware sticking in between the two parts on the way down.

Not sure best way to protect myself.