Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It took him one day to eat when he was in the garage. I may have to find a cat sanctuary. I am going to talk to the vet today.

I feel like I am torturing him since he is clearly stressed to the max. He has a huge appetite and is a big cat. Last time he ate was Saturday.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just spoke to the vet. She had advocated trying him inside to see how he would do a few months ago.

She said that I have 24 hrs left to see if he will eat. And if not, I had to let him go. She said they WILL become ill and will not eat if too stressed.

I am trying to help him. I love him. That said, he is letting me know what he feels. I have to listen to that. And so tomorrow if he hasn't eaten, I am opening the crate and the window.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am besides myself. So upset.

I will be moving and gone in December or January. It will be winter and his food source will be gone. He will be confused and probably starve. I feel so helpless with this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried sardines yet? Also try heating the food so it smells yummy.

And try different types of dishes. Like not just a bowl. But a plate. I seem to recall a cat that wouldn't eat, finally eating when his food was put on a flat surface.

I know it's his fear holding him back, but maybe one of these tips will work.

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – TheCatSite Articles

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have taken a small spoon before and duct taped it to a long rod/pole. I then put some stinky stinky food on the spoon and ease it into the cat. Sometimes you can get them to lick a bit of it off the spoon.

I know how upset you are. There is still time. Try focusing on the now and keep calm when you are with him. If you are frantic around him, he will pick up on it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO WAY would I let him go and NO WAY would I turn him in to a "shelter." He loves you. He is bonded to you. Give him time. Have you tried Second Stages (small squatty jar) Gerber baby food (chicken, lamb, beef, turkey)?
There are accounts of cats being lost in airports/airplanes or in other situations for long times where they had no regular food source. The survival stories are amazing and obviously this is not what anyone would wish for -- a cat being in that kind of situation -- but the bottom line is THEY SURVIVED. I know about the risks dietarily and health-wise, but the risks of either alternative plan are far greater. I would give him time.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that giving him more time is crucial. His other alternative is for you to let him go and he will have no one to care for him when you are gone. Sure, he can hunt, but it will be winter and it will be very difficult. He will have no shelter. It is a possible death sentence for him.

Keep trying.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will not put him in a barn program since he'd be better taking his chances in his own territory.

If the vet said I had 24 hours before he gets sick - I will let him go if he doesn't eat or move by tomorrow. Believe me, I don't want to but if he is so stressed he will not eat after 3 full days - or drink water - I cannot continue it.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I will not put him in a barn program since he'd be better taking his chances in his own territory.

If the vet said I had 24 hours before he gets sick - I will let him go if he doesn't eat or move by tomorrow. Believe me, I don't want to but if he is so stressed he will not eat after 3 full days - or drink water - I cannot continue it.
You need to stop fretting so much. You are scared and he is picking upon it! Calm down, throw in some temptation treats, cover more of the cage, stop lifting the cover off maybe leave one corner up. Tap lightly as you come into the room, tell him being stubborn will do no good and he is going to stay safe and loved with you and you will protect him. Tell him all about your other pets and that you will be going away and he needs to go with you cause no one will take care of him once you are gone. He's smart and savvy and pulling this stunt on you worked before so he is trying it again. Those idiots who left him in the trap for 6 days do NOT know what they are tr talking about when they tell you how vicious he is. They failed him and DO NOT want you to succeed! He is probably afraid you are going to abandon him too so keep visiting him but stop hovering, STAY CALM and instead of conjuring dire possible scenarios concentrate on positive ones. He is hoping you will let him go because he can sense your agitation and does not yet realize how great being inside will be. Did you check out the gloves I posted? If they are sold out others on there I saw were just as secure. Get a face shield and wear a heavy jacket and leather gloves. If you let him go he will have no one when you leave. Barn cats can become prey very easily and since the idiots won't allow you to check things out prior to turning him over to them dont't trust them. Remember they are the reason he is so scared of traps. They don't want you to help him when they wouldn't or couldn't. He is sensing how upset you are so stop. Go to
Walmart's and buy Sheba meat sticks break a piece off and drop in for him. Please do not release him, he has no one else.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 nailed it!!! Oscar needs you. He has no one else in this world. You will be gone soon. Think of how you will feel when you leave your home and move. You will always and forever wonder what happened to him. This is hard. I know how hard it is. But as dustydiamond1 said, he is pulling your strings. He knows you are possible of caving. I don't believe he is going to starve himself.

Add more stinky food. Take away all the gross stuff that might be accumulated. Then cover the cages completely and leave him be.

Slow steady breathing. I truly believe in the power of talking to my animals and telling them what you are doing.