Feral in my garage

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
OK. I will do.

I put on Amazon "Calming music for cats" in the room. I will go back in two hours and check on him.
Thats great, dont forget to put on some calming music for you too :lol: Are you going to try the Sheba meat sticks? Gypsy will do almost anything for them. It's what I use outside to get her attention since she ignores treats outside, unlike inside. She doesn't like much human food including tuna water and is not real fond of catnip. Although when I fix shrimp she HAS to have some and likes tuna salad. Also just a few licks of the plate after we're done of mashed taters. She likes pizza crust too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How big is this confined crate space of his? I am just wondering if his space is too small and that is contributing to his reluctance to move, even to get food.

Maybe share some pics with us to see if we could come up with some ideas on how to expand his area? I am thinking adding to his existing crates/blockading an area outside the door to this room and letting him have the room. Or, possibly setting up a confined area in your garage and move him there?

I know you might need help to accomplish this - any chance to ask your vet (since she seems invested in his welfare) for some contacts, or check Next Door Neighbor web site for some cat lovers in your area?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 nailed it!!! Oscar needs you. He has no one else in this world. You will be gone soon. Think of how you will feel when you leave your home and move. You will always and forever wonder what happened to him. This is hard. I know how hard it is. But as dustydiamond1 said, he is pulling your strings. He knows you are possible of caving. I don't believe he is going to starve himself.

Add more stinky food. Take away all the gross stuff that might be accumulated. Then cover the cages completely and leave him be.

Slow steady breathing. I truly believe in the power of talking to my animals and telling them what you are doing.
Yes! We have always explained to Gypsy where we are going and what we are going to do, for her to take a nice nap and that we will be back. 'We will be back' is repeated a couple of times and she gets a couple of Skin and Fur Greenies crumpled in a bowl so we can make our escape without door drama! We don't ever tell her to be a good girl cause she always is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think he's playing me. People do that; not cats. I know him pretty well. He is terrified of the dogs and outside noises. They don't bark incessantly but they are big, you can hear them walk, and he smells them I am sure.

The garage isn't an option since I never see him as he goes up on the rafters. He is unhappy in there and outside is what he knows. I do not want to let him go, but am going to listen to the vet. She had suggested bringing him in to see how he did. She knew I didn't want to make him a "pet" but rather to move and take him with me and set him up in a room with a window or basement with windows so he could live out his life in a safe place.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Animals including cats do indeed "play" people. It seems you are concentrating on the negative and have already made up your mind to give up on him and he is PICKING UP THESE VIBES. He's smart enough to know the dogs, who by the way he has been exposed to already, cannot get to him to hurt him. You are projecting your negativity to him and while he is scared he also remembers the last time he acted like this you LET HIM GO. If you do so this time I'm afraid it will be a death knell for him. Re-read the advice here on TSC! The people here have had MORE experience transitioning ferals than your vet has, despite the vets best intentions. Each cat is different.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't let him go in the past!? He was in a dark garage for 3 months eating fine and pooping in the litter box but I never saw him. Not once did he show himself to me despite me sitting in there for hours talking to him, with treats, putting my scent and worn clothes near his bed, catnip etc.

I did not let him go - it was cruel to keep him in the garage in April when the weather was good and I had more interaction with him outside. So I never let him go because he acted like this.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Oscar is not eating. I'm brainstorming (with myself!) to think of things that would help. One thought I had was to find a vet who would come to the house and sedate him. They could do a quick exam, take blood, maybe even give him IV fluids with some nutrition. If they would take him back to their care, they could continue to monitor him. Could you find someone in your area? I can't remember from earlier in your post, but if there are rescues in your area, they might be able to suggest a vet who would be willing to help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I type this with a very heavy heart and hope some 'miracle' has occurred since you lasted posted. I know you have put out a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" for Oscar. Sometimes, it just becomes too much, especially when one is dealing with it all alone. I am not sure what else anyone can offer you in ways to try to help. And, I feel like you are resigned to releasing him. I am saddened by it, but understand you must do what you think is best.

If you do choose to go ahead and release him, please do not feed him any more. Don't pay attention to him, ignore him like your life depends on it - his most certainly does. Cut all ties at that point, in order to allow him to find someone else that might help tend to his needs. Perhaps at least that way, you will eventually no longer see him come around - which means you might at least be able to hold out hope that he found someone else that he can rely on a bit. Otherwise, if you continue to feed him until the day you leave, you will never even have any remote idea about what might have happened to him.

Until you do finally leave, you can still continue to look for other options to help Oscar. Maybe you can consider making and posting flyers saying you are looking for someone who would be willing to feed a feral and that you are leaving the area? I still suggest that you try to elicit help from cat lovers on the Next Door Neighbor web site, if you have it in your area. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask your vet as well.

I wish the best for Oscar - and you.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I spoke to my vet at length today. She specializes in cats . . .and only treats cats at her practice. She said to give it until tomorrow morning. She said that if he doesn't eat anything - that he is making his wishes clear. She did not recommend trapping him to give fluids or anything like that. So, I will give him until tomorrow morning.

I am not resigned to anything except trying to do what is best for him. I love this cat and have taken good of him. It will break my heart if he doesn't eat tonight, and frankly, I am shocked that he is this stressed out. Hopefully tonight he will eat something. I will let you know what happens in the morning.

Please don't judge me; I consulted with a vet and am really trying to do the very best for him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that if you are to release him tomorrow, you cannot continue to feed him. He will need to learn to fend for himself and find a new person to help him or learn to just hunt. It will be a hard life for him out on his own. If you continue to feed him and then leave it will make it extremely hard on him.

Vibes that he will eat tonight. I do hope that you will be able to tell if he has eaten. I hope that you can offer lots of yummy stinky food before bed tonight. Cover the cage completely and prayers that he will eat.

I know how much you have been through.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom : I'm also sending vibes that Oscar eats something overnight. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

And hugs to you for all you're going through. 🤗🤗🤗
I've never done anything like this, so I have so much respect and admiration for all you've done. :redheartpump:

I also agree with the others, that if you end up setting him free, after feeding him one last time, you will have to no longer associate with him in any way. He will need to find another food source, and it's better that it happens while weather is still nice, than winter time, when you move away.

I don't know if cats understand what we say or not, but before you leave him alone for the night, I'd have a human-to-cat chat with him. Tell him you love him, and that you will be moving away, so you need him to stay with you, so you can take care of him, so please be brave and eat something overnight.

Fingers crossed that your morning post will be a good one. Hugs ...

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I cannot tell you how I am trying to stay positive and hope he eats. I opened up the crate and so he can move around the room. I didn’t even care if he charged me. I just want him to be ok.

maybe he’ll eat if he’s not confined. I don’t know.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone suggest warm Gerber second foods all meat baby food? Just a last thought that worked for many here. Please try that before he is let go. I do think that letting him loose in the room is a fantastic idea. He can hide where he wants. I wish that since you are changing it up a bit, you will give him a chance to see if he’ll eat now. It may be that you have to put the food on hiding with him, wherever he chooses to seclude himself. Once last, all out, effort. I really think this could be what he needed. Being trapped before was super traumatic for him when he was left in the trap by the TNR folks. No wonder he Froze! It makes perfect sense. He was reliving that. Your instincts to let him out in the room are right on. I think it may take a little time to unfreeze so, please give him that. Put food and water in a hidden place for him. Hoping, hoping, hoping!!I have worked with so many and trauma sticks and resurfaces with certain triggers. I think being shut in was the trigger. He did well eating and drinking in the garage. He just hid. I can’t tell you how many times shelters and rescues gave up on frozen cats. I can tell you that there is a process to bring them back. My heart is right there with you both. Come on Oscar!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried warm chicken baby food. And also sprinkled Fortiflora which they love.
He went into the crate and is in the cat cube. I pushed a Sheba stick in the hole in the side and he swatted me but it’s in there.
We will see what he does.