Feral cat under my home Help.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm understanding the situation correctly the cat in question got from inside the house to under the house but has no access to outdoors. Yes? Sly little beast.

This is a very tricky situation. Assume people cannot fit under house to corral him. Need to somehow coax him up and out from under, then slide a cover over his bolt hole. Easier said than done.

In the interim, keep feeding. You don't want a deceased cat under the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes you are Correct. We are just now at 24hrs since last feeding. so hes ok. getting hungry but hes ok, my plan is to give it 24 more hours then I will give up trying to motivate him to come out on his own. I do have the option of releasing him and then re capture him again later..another opportunity will present itself. I feel terrible that because I didn't prep the home properly he has to endure being extremely hungry again. But I don't want to lose him. he may bolt the area being afraid of me. that's what I'm worried about the most.
I feel like I've lost what little trust I had built with him over a 2 week period. To make things worse I'm still morning my 16year companion
chow weenie that passed 2 weeks ago. So, I have to get this right. I can't let him down.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its a manufactured home so technically i could crawl under and corner him. Hopefully with minimal Bloodshed lol
I would hate to have to Corner him tho. I've stressed him so much already.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't want to withhold food too long. Cats can get sick very quickly from not eating. I worry if he is sickly already.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought of a plan...Go under chase him back up into the House. Have someone inside ready to cap hole. Just could work, with a little luck.He keeps popping up getting on the dryer and meowing. then when I go look he bolts back under...grr

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have worked with a great many strays and ferals. You’re actually doing very well with him in spite of his hiding. Don’t pursue him if he is scared. A cat is just likely to run away. He can be lured back to you with patience and food. You have one accesss he comes through and into the house? Perfect! Put his food near the access and let him eat in peace. Let him get used to your scent and being fed there. Slowly move the food dish further away from the access. Keep a shirt or something that carries your scent near the dish. When you can, try to be present ( laying down or sitting perfectly still, while he eats. Once he knows you are safe he will be less likely to retreat quickly. Offering especially good treats in your hand while sitting near can lure him near you. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food that is on a dish in your lap or even a little on a finger can be hard to resist. I have used that to get lots of kitties to climb onto me even though they were totally wild. If you warm the food slightly it smells yummy to kitties. I had to deal with a large colony of feral and strays and I caught everyone of them. All became indoor cats and the majority were adopted. The remaining kitties live with me. Bj was the last one that remained outside and an old feral Tom cat. I finally lured him in. He’s a delight and one of the loves of my life. He’s a lover boy now. You would never know he had grown up wild. This will take time and some little tricks of the trade but you are well on your way to saving this kitty. Don’t give up! Kitty already trusts you on some level. :clap2: You’lol get him! please keep updating as there are lots of techniques and advice can be adjusted as you go along.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His bolt hole is in laundry room? I like your idea of having someone under house, someone inside house ready to cap hole. This could be best option. Wear a catcher's mask or similar to protect face.

If no one under house . . . trying to visualize this . . . Need a piece of plywood, and screw eye thing-y and a rope. Have plywood not covering bolt hole, screw eye firmly attached and rope leading out door to laundry area but not over hole. Cat gets up on dryer. At his meow signal someone gives an almighty yank to get plywood over hole before cat again performs disappearing act. Do-able?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He keeps popping up getting on the dryer and meowing.
Put his food near the access and let him eat in peace.
As mentioned, put food out for him, leave a shirt with your scent on it and remove yourself so he has a chance to relax and eat. There's nothing says that you must catch him in super short order, but he definitely needs to get something to eat soon :).

Last edited:

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His visits top side are increasing, so I'm gonna hold out till morning. Then I promise, Full belly whether or not he is in the house or not.
Please don't worry. It will be a Hungry night for him. but it will be his last time being hungry. Trip to the Vet also when house arrest is over. lol oop hes up again on the dryer meowing. I may get him before I go to bed. fingers crossed. I will keep you all posted. Thank you all for caring so much.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine anyone doing anything different. Hes such a sweet boy too. Did take a week to even be able to touch him tho.
once I did. He loved it. So did I. I see a foster Fail in my immediate Future. lmbo But I'm a Dog Person ! Hence the Name.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok Update. I couldn't do it. Filled his belly with starkist and allowed him to return to under the home. Came to the conclusion, same as 1 of you suggested, that there is no hurry at all. Leaving for store to get some Kibble and actual cat food (not fish) to have food down for him at all times. Lets get some calories in him. and ofc much more complete nutrition. 1 of my shirts next to his food dish too. another good suggestion. ty

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Loves his new Kibble, Belly full of it he Cleared the Bowl almost. and I gave him a lot. On top of the dryer looking out the Window. Near
his escape hole. I could probably sneak up on him and cap the Hole before he gets there but that would be scary for him. so I'm just going to wait. I'm no longer in a hurry at all. When the home gets too scary for him he can escape to under where he feel safe. Once he gets far away enough for me to seal hole. I will, because at some point I'm going to have to deal with the Fleas he must have. Then he has to stay in the home. Let my 1st Foster Fail (I suspect) officially begin. lol I did a make shift scratching post for him. then ofc he went straight to my Dining room chair and clawed it right in front of me. cat off spray for that? and no I didn't yell at him. I don't do that.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm Concerned, about him backing up and spraying. I've seen him do it outside. any advise there?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There may be some information for you here;

Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

I think you mentioned earlier that he used a litterbox on his own - you may find that he doesn't have any issues, but if he's standing up in his box (after being neutered if he's not already), you can obtain a high-sided storage tub, cut an access and put the litterbox inside. This way if he does happen to spray it won't go on the walls.

If by chance you find he's spraying elsewhere, an enzymatic cleaner will help, and there's a litter called Cat Attract.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Continues to use litter box. I'll wait and see if its even a problem. I know where to come for help now so I'm good.
Appreciate all of you. Thank You. Stay Safe Everyone.