Feral cat under my home Help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you mean place food near the access hole to under my home? if I do that he will eat his food and continue to live under my home.
Under a home is the only home he has ever know to my knowledge. So given the Option he will always choose under, over actually in the home. I'm considering freeing him to re acquire him again at a later time. the only other option i see is to not feed him at all till he has to come out in search of food. then I can seal the hole and continue Fostering him in the Home. the Problem I have is I know dogs behavior not cats at all. that's why I'm here. I don't like him not being fed. But, if it is necessary I will do it.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if I create an exit for him he will most certainly take it. that's not the issue. He either needs to come back up into my home. or I need to create him an exit and let him out and re capture him later as I am the only 1 feeding him. another opportunity will present itself.
I just don't know which way is best for him....I don't know cats. never had 1.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your best bet is a humane trap bated with food. It would be ok to stick with the tuna to lure him into the trap. Only put the food in the trap, don't feed him otherwise. Once you get him trapped and inside, set him up with his own space and get him on proper cat food and no fish. He cannot eat just tuna. If that is all he is eating, that could be why he is skinny, he isn't getting proper nutrients.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A feral cat is also a wild animal. If he was truly feral you would not likely have him under your house, you would likely never see him as he would bolt the second he saw you. Picking him up, even for a brief second would be unheard of. So I think you have a good chance! He just needs time and patience. He also needs to not bite you because I am sure he isn't vaccinated so please be careful.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have so far only given him tuna with every intention of a proper diet once hes inside. I don't have access to a proper trap. Or the Resources right now. as you can Imagine. Calling a rescue during this Pandemic is not something I want to do either. Which is why I'm looking for advise from people that know cats. Eldad (hope for paws) is one of my fav people. I can handle a trap no problem. I don't see that as an option at this time. Plan B should be....?

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was sleepy and let me scratch his head. The heat of the day was my friend that day. I just picked him up and carried him 15 feet to my screened in porch before he realized what I had done. Then before checking and prepping the home. I let him inside as it was Hot that day I wanted to show him how wonderful ac is. He found the access to under took it and I now I want him back inside the house
so I can correct my mistake (seal the Hole) and continue at least Fostering him and finding him a home. Or possibly Keep him I'm not sure Yet.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
First at once you don't succeed, try try try again
Where there's a will there's a way
Anythings possible!

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It bothers me to not feed an already malnourished kitty. But, if an Experienced cat person tells me its ok to with hold food I believe I would be ok with it. Eventually he will come back in. I woke up he had peed in the Litter box i set up. He was of course back under.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Rattle a bag of treats. My cats always get curious when I play kittens meowing on my tablet. That gets them to come out. Their hearing is sharper than a dogs. When I was taking care of Coco outside she loved the sound of a ball rolling around a toy. That always got her interested. Different noises make a cat curious

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I doubt a cat that, I believe has lived his whole life under a Home would react to a rattling bag of treats. lol Kittens Meowing
on my laptop sounds Interesting tho. I also don't think this cat would even know what a toy is. lol Its my fault and I feel terrible but I'm going to with hold food till he comes out. after trying the laptop as a last resort. Wish me luck and tyvm for your time maggie.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
After I brought Coco in, it took her 3 months to leave under my couch and a year in my bedroom. What made it hard was having 2 other cats. It won't take your cat as long. Very affectionate cat. I would pick her up underneath and give her long brushes the she would knead a long time. I have a bunch of baby blankets because of that. Then,back under the couch

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats favorite toy is the go cat catcher wand toy with a mouse on the end and the Purrfect cat toy which won't get tangled like the go cat catcher.
Pretty boring when it's too risky to go out. All my chores done.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bet they Love their Mom....Really good talking to you. Stay Safe Maggie

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
if I do that he will eat his food and continue to live under my home.
I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I suggested that you take time over several feedings at least.

The first feeding the dish is placed under the house a couple feet. The second feeding place the food dish only one foot under the house. The next feeding place it out in the open.

Can you order in some dry cat food, or some canned cat food?

I woke up he had peed in the Litter box i set up.
He is definitely not feral.

If he came in to use the litter box, put some food there as well. He'll be back with no stress on your part.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently, I'm using the Wrong word. He is a Stray (has no home) and Sleeps under a neighbors home. and now he lives under my home because I failed to prep the home properly before bringing him inside. Now my Stupidity has caused me to have to starve the poor boy to force him to come back in the house in search of food. If I put food down he will eat and the return Directly to under the House.
Counter Productive to what I'm trying to do. Under a home is the only home he has know as far as I know.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please read the whole conversation so I don't have to type it all again. I'm terrible at typing every pertinent fact has been typed earlier in the conversation.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try putting his food out, then sitting down, preferably on the ground (you will look smaller and less threatening), while he eats. This animal almost certainly came from a home at some point, so this may work very well for you. IT WILL TAKE TIME! Several days, at least, and aren't you glad this is April and not January! Let him get used to you being there. Speak very softly to him. But let him make the first moves.

Dog Lover 100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did exactly that. Got him to trust me enough to scratch his head. which opened the door to quickly pick him up and get him inside.
Now he is under the home so there is no sitting down to have a meal with him. That ship has sailed. he is now under the home and will not come out to have this sit down dinner you suggest. before we proceed, Do you understand? sit down dinners are not an option at all till I get him back inside this House. And get the hole Sealed. If I could call him and Invite him to dinner I would.