Elsa's babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is silky settling into the bathroom?
Not so good. As I suspected Silky had more opportunities to avoid her babies and their weights had dropped a little this evening.

Her kittens are seriously clever. I was watching them for a bit this evening. They got out of their bed to chase after Silky for a feed. They are only 3 weeks old. Elsa's babies didn't budge out the nest till 4 weeks.

They are also getting very clever at dodging / running from her when she gets too bitey.

I posted a video of her to a private Facebook group for the shelter volunteers and one person commented that the two kittens that were adopted by Sully (Mac and Pippin) are not nearly as advanced developmentally. They have no need to be...they just snuggle and feed!

On the positive side, I tried all 4 babies with the mushy food and Oreo got it. He started to lick it off my fingers. I'll keep offering it and hopefully they will realise this is a good idea.

I moved them back to the crate for the night to hopefully allow them feed more. Silky was getting agitated by the kittens wandering around...its too stressful for her!
20170508_202913.jpg
20170508_204255.jpg

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The kittens are trying to feed but over-zealous cleaning means she pushes them away.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Back to the crate sounds like a good idea - and necessary. They will wean soon!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back to the crate sounds like a good idea - and necessary. They will wean soon!
I can't wait till they do. It will be so much easier all round when they can sustain themselves. They will be resilient little things by the time they are finished being "raised" by Silky.

I'd say Silky will be clapping her paws with glee as they wheel her into her spay operation!!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This video shows the babies avoiding mama when necessary (though still looking for a feed...)

Notice Silky glancing up at me...waiting to be told off! Little monkey!

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well at least we know these kittens will turn into very smart very strong, resourceful adult cats. They will be well fit to handle this harsh world. (Hopefully they won't need to and will go to loving homes, but they will have the strength to survive trying times). I think having them in the crate at nights is a good idea. And then hopefully be able to have them out during the day.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are sticking with bathroom by day and crate by night and it seems to be going ok. These babies are very mobile and love to explore.

I've continued offering mushy food and Oreo has been interested from the start. Tonight he stuck his face into the bowl and just started eating! He's only eating tiny amounts and he's actually still sort of sucking the food. Or at least he begins by licking and then sucks as I fed him some on my fingers so I could feel what he was at.

The others are still unsure.

I noticed the babies don't cry when I pick them up. They are happy to be held and cuddled. Maybe they realise it's better not to cry for mum. :frown:

20170510_202309.jpg
20170510_202328.jpg

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw that's cute! I'm glad they are able to explore during they day. Maybe the others might try eating too if the food was on a plate? A flat easy access might be more encouraging then having to get their head in the bowl to get it. Also try heating it up in the microwave for a few seconds. The smell might attract them.
You could also try mixing lots of water in to the mush so it's more of a soup to lap at, since they haven't got chewing figured out yet.

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made my mush very runny and soup like with KMR in the beginning then added baby food, then started to thicken that up with baby rice ceral until they were eating just the wet food. The mush was easier for my picky eaters or slow starters. Everyone once in awhile I add water and they go nuts over it now.

My babies never cried when I picked them up except Wilfred lol I think they enjoy your touch because you've been hands on from day one.

So glad everyone is doing okay. They are so stinking cute!!!!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all
Been a busy few days. I was contacted by the cattery manager of the shelter I foster for and they've asked me to be the fosterer coordinator! I'm so chuffed. They are very happy with how I look after my foster babies and keep on top of everything they need so I'll be helping other fosterers to do the same.

I'm making the food really sloppy with krm and still only Oreo is interested. Maybe they've just fed when I offer it?

I can't believe how mobile and busy these guys are already. Only 4 weeks old today and as soon as I open the crate or the bathroom door, they run out and go exploring!

One baby walked in the food and shook his paw and splattered another baby with food. Sooo funny.

I heard that Pippin is now 313g and Mac is 439g. The 4 brothers are all between 500 and 600g.

The second photo shows my own 2 cats when I was preparing the kitten mush. They reckoned it smelled really good! The lighter ginger (Willow) was actually standing on her back legs to smell the food!
20170512_163114.jpg
20170512_162439.jpg

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pippen at 313 is really small. Can you get her back?
They both sound really small, especially in comparison to the other kittens who are actually younger then them! It sounds like they need some special care and supplemental feeding. If the mother is still in the shelter they probably arent getting the attention they need. Is there Anyway to get whoever is taking care of them to start feeding those two extra meals?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done with your new role ! You are doing fantastic! I think everyone is routing for Pippen .. Well I know I am

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pippin and Mac are doing ok with their new mama (they are staying ahead of her own kittens.) Two of the mama's own kittens have died, one was sick and the other is unexplained but the vet thought colic as he was making strange sounds before he died.

Unfortunately they have sticky eyes and sniffles now which is the down side of cattery life.
I still think they'd do better with their new mama than with Silky and as the 4 boys are a bit bigger now, they'd be at a disadvantage.

I collected a new family today, Rosie and her 5 babies. They are really struggling. Very similar to Silky, she hasn't been looking after them and now today they are poo-covered with the same smelly runny poo that Silky's had.

I got the vet to give Rosie antibiotics and I've had to confine her to a carrier box to make sure she feeds! She doesn't respond to a crying baby. However she is not aggressive with them like Silky, just not bothered. When confined with them, she feeds.

Her supply is very low according to the vet so I'm also supplementing.

They are 142g- 175g or so which is very very small for 9 days old.
20170513_175742.jpg

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My god ! Hats off to you and again you are amazing for helping like this !

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like poor Rosie may feel too poorly to give proper care to her kittens.

Do you know if the foster is treating the URI's or if she is supplementing?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys
Sorry been mad busy...my kids have a week off school, simultaneously my hubby is away with work and I've been busy with all the new babies.

So updates!
Mac and Pippin got treated for the sniffles and sticky eyes and are great now. They are both flying it with the litter tray. Unfortunately their amazing foster mom has a problem with her milk as it seems to be drying up too soon. (Her own babies are only 3.5 weeks). All the babies are being supplemented and Mac and Pippin are also being started on sloppy food.

Pippin is a ball of fluff now! See photo. They are not under my care but I visit when I can!

Silky's 4 boys are great. They too are starting to use the litter tray. Still no major interest in solid food but Silky has become such a good mother to them you'd hardly believe she's the same cat. They are well able to follow her around for food but she's also been spending a lot of time snuggling up with them to feed.

They are doing really well and are full of energy and love to play.

Elsa had her spay op almost 2 weeks ago. She's got a home lined up but unfortunately is too sick with the respiratory infection that's hit the cattery.

Rosie is doing really well feeding her babies. I washed them all on Saturday and she was happy to feed them. She had the runs herself on Monday so it explains why everyone was so unwell.

She's got better day by day and is in great form and doing well with the feeds. Weight gains have been good enough that I only had to supplement on a couple of days.

Unfortunately her babies have got the infection that has affected so many in the cattery. They have sticky eyes and a URI. Rin was bad last night - his breathing was very laboured and "squeaky".

Rin got steroids and antibiotics today; Makota also got antibiotics as he had a runny nose and sticky eyes. The vets are cautious about over using antibiotics so didn't give them to the others. However James now has the bad breathing so he will need something in the morning.

I have drops for their eyes too.
It's hard having sick babies and we are being really careful with hygiene going from one family to the other and keeping them totally apart. My only worry is if the infection is airborne Silky's family could be at slight risk. Fingers crossed they stay healthy. Photos show Pippin and Mac.
20170517_140949.jpg
20170517_140817.jpg
20170517_141020.jpg

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Silky feeding a determined Bruce!
20170516_000903.jpg
20170516_000648.jpg
20170516_000655.jpg