Elsa's babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it's been a busy week and after Elsa's kittens went to their new homes, Lilly was returned as (apparently) the child developed an allergy.

But as it turned out, the lady who took Tulip was smitten and decided to get a 2nd kitten so when Lilly became available again, she snapped her up. Lilly and Tulip are now together again!

Silky's boys have been doing ok. One day they did great - all put on 28-33g as I previously mentioned. Then Silky had a day where she wasn't locked into the crate and their weights dropped. 3 of them lost weight (one lost 6g) and only one gained and that was only 2g!

So she's on strict mammy duty in the crate with them now.

I think I will try and wean these guys as early as possibly (would that be around 4 weeks?) So that they don't have to rely so much on Silky. She will be glad when they wean!

Sully, the mom who adopted Pippin and Mac lost one of her own babies today. Apparently the little one hadn't been doing well and had been seen by the vet but it didn't help.

I'm debating whether or not to move Silky and her boys into the bathroom or leave them where they are. They'd have more room in the bathroom but Silky would possibly have more room to avoid them. Maybe I'll wait another week till they are 4 weeks old.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update . Glad kittens are doing well although sad Sully lost a kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should try the bathroom for a day or two. You still give her breaks from the crate, right?

Yes, you can try mush with them at 4 weeks.

It's awesome that Lilly and Tulip are together again.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh Yes, I definitely give her breaks. She has a lot of energy and likes to play and chase a ball etc. I try to be here when she's out of the crate as she can get a bit skittish and start swiping at the kittens so I have to remind her not to do that.

I might try her in the bathroom on Monday. I can always move the crate in there too if I find she needs more crate time with the babies. Monday will be less hectic as the kids will be in school.

It's interesting, Elsa sang to her babies almost constantly. She was always chirping away to them. Silky only talks to hers now and then.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think Silky was just not born to be a mom. She'll be happier spayed and unencumbered by kittens.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. She's just too young and doesn't have the maturity for it.

Little Ranger is not doing well. His last decent weight gain was Wednesday.
Thursday he lost 6g.
Friday he put on 6g.
Saturday he lost 33g.

I'm trying to get him to take a bottle but he's chewing and licking the teat. He fights the syringe. I got about 6 or 7ml into him. He keeps falling asleep.

Would he be able to lap from a saucer yet? He's 3 weeks.
20170506_105101.jpg

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried like an eye dropper so the milk drips in the mouth?

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was using a syringe to drip it into his mouth. A lot ended up on his face lol.

I weighed the bottle after the feed and there was 9.9ml gone from it. I'd estimate Ranger swallowed 8ml and the other 2ml was spat out / dribbled etc. According to the krm pack he should be having 10-15ml so it's not a bad start. He also tried to feed from Silky but she didn't stay feeding for long so not sure if he got much.

I'll try him with a saucer later, he might prefer to lap the milk.

I was reading online that orphan kittens can start weaning from 3-4 weeks. I'm thinking I might try them with a little food today rather than waiting till 4 weeks. If they aren't interested, they won't eat it. I have a few cans of Royal canin ultra soft mousse which is designed as a first food, so I'll try that and maybe mix in a bit of krm if needed.

Silky is a brat.... She sleeps in the litter tray in the crate and the babies can't get to her in there. She usually doesn't use that tray for toileting as she waits till she comes out of the tray and uses the big tray. She has it all figured out!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When to Wean Kittens. Normally, the kitten weaning process begins at about four weeks of age. ... But if you're weaning a kitten that has been orphaned, you can start a little earlier, between three and four weeks. “When they start biting and chewing on the bottle, they're ready,” says Benson.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When to Wean Kittens. Normally, the kitten weaning process begins at about four weeks of age. ... But if you're weaning a kitten that has been orphaned, you can start a little earlier, between three and four weeks. “When they start biting and chewing on the bottle, they're ready,” says Benson.
Sorry yes I just found this on net ! Gracie could only stomach royal canine vetinary gastro inteatinal food so thin their products are ok

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
irishmammy irishmammy

It's always something with Silky!

Take the litter tray out when it's feeding time so she can't do that.

You'll most likely need to continue to supplement poor Ranger for a bit longer.

I find that kittens are not ready to wean at 3 weeks, unfortunately, but perhaps Silky's will.

They surely would have perished if she had remained a stray. :(

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's the piece I read too. It's the bit about biting and chewing on the bottle that caught my eye. He's definitely doing that. And is lapping the milk from the teat/syringe rather than sucking.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most kittens with a diligent mom would probably not want to wean but if Silky's babies are hungry some of the time, they might be glad of it!

I'd say if they were still stray, she would have upped and left a long time ago! She really is being made to parent under duress.

I've noticed not only does she not talk to them much, she talks to ME more than them!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's a strange one, for sure! She's been a job for you!

I agree with you - hopefully they are hungry enough to try lapping.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say if they were still stray, she would have upped and left a long time ago! She really is being made to parent under duress.

I've noticed not only does she not talk to them much, she talks to ME more than them!![/QUOTE

Some women are not maternal and one could argue are not good if they do have children so I suppose the same can happen with animals ! Gracie I reckon would be a nightmare with kittens - I got her spayed at 4 months before her first heat which glad we did !

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we tried lapping, we tried some really soft food and neither really worked so I stuck with a couple of syringe feeds and let Silky do her thing too.

Today Ranger is up 14g...yay!
The weight gains were 11g - 34g today and Maverick has broken the 500g mark!

I've moved the family into the bathroom...i figure I can move them into the crate for short periods or overnight if mama neglects her duties lol. Funnily enough the first thing she did when I transferred the babies was to snuggle in beside them in the box!

I got some lovely photos of the boys, first time really in proper light because they've been in the covered crate till now. Oh my, they are handsome boys! Look at Mavericks stripes!
20170507_180052.jpg
20170507_180047.jpg
20170507_180029.jpg
20170507_180035.jpg
20170507_183642.jpg
20170507_175936.jpg
20170507_175924.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Really good looking kittens! Glad they are enjoying the bathroom!