Elsa's babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankfully the babies are going to a brand new foster carer. She's had no illness in her house at all.

Oh that's very interesting. Panleukopenia...must say that to the cattery manager. Is it always fatal? Or just because it's young kittens that are getting it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, it can be overcome, but it usually kills kittens due to their immature immune systems.

Adult cats who receive prompt care, which includes fluids and anti-nausea and diarrhea meds, can pull through.

Good to hear the tinies will go to a fresh home!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a relief. It's funny I was reading about it just now and the article mentioned that kittens born to mums who have it (but who may not show symptoms) can have CH. We've just had a little guy in the cattery who had CH. His mum was extremely scared / feral and his two littermates died. Very interesting.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all
I haven't been good with the updates the last few weeks - it's been busy with the kids at home on summer holidays.

While I was away, Rosie and kittens stayed with another fosterer who put a lot of time and effort into getting Chance eating. I came home 2 weeks later and he was over 500g! (280g before I went.)

We've had a few setbacks with dodgy tummies and sticky eyes/sneezing but thankfully Sooty and Mabel were ready to be adopted 2 weeks ago and Sooty got his forever home a few days later. Mabel is still waiting.

Chance and Sophie got the all-clear yesterday and got their first vaccination. They will be looking for their homes now. Chance is a whopping 930g (13 weeks old) and Sophie is just over a kg.

Rosie is still with us and has made herself at home now, so she's staying.

We've had a couple of successes with the panluecopaenia kittens - one of a litter of 3 survived and has gone to hid forever home. A litter of 4 were split between 2 fosterers, 2 each and one set died and the others survived. The difference was one fosterer was giving her 2 probiotics. It really made a difference.

They are not fully out of the woods yet but are putting on weight and doing well.

I will get some photos in a bit. I moved them off my phone as my phone was too full....mostly of kittens!!

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention Silky. She's back in the rescue centre waiting for a forever home. She's been spayed and is ready to go so just waiting for the right person. I'm surprised it's taken this long as she's so lovely.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it it. She's safe and will get a home, it can take time with the older ones though.

Mabel
20170825_180807.jpg

From L: Sooty, Sophie, Chance
20170810_152001.jpg

Rosie:
20170812_143218.jpg

Silky:
temporary_file.jpg

Chance:
20170825_180046.jpg

And look who's coming to stay with me tomorrow....her name is Sminky

20170817_231025.jpg

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, Sminky was found straying and very underweight / coat in bad condition. She's been with another fosterer and has come on really well.

Rather bizarrely she had no microchip. She was checked by the vets under anaesthetic last week so they could run bloods (her eyes are dilated a lot so the worry was she had a thyroid or blood pressure/kidney problem) and they shaved her to look for a spay scar. None was found but rather than open her to check, they decided to wait and see if she comes into heat. She will be strictly indoors in my house.

I'm hoping to adopt her too....once I can persuade the hubby I'm not completely nuts!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh how many will that be with you permantly ? Do they have limit on how many can foster / keep ?

They are adorable : all of them

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh how many will that be with you permantly ? Do they have limit on how many can foster / keep ?

They are adorable : all of them

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would have 5 of my own then. The oldest is 18 years old now.

No they don't limit numbers, it's just up to each fosterer to know how many they can care for and if adopting, can afford and can meet the conditions of adoption (provide food, water, shelter, vet care etc etc).

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fantastic ! If I didn't work full time and have a fiesty, spoilt kitten at home already Id have silky flown over to London lol

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been reading up on Siamese traits / personalities and I swear Rosie must have some Siamese in her DNA. Everything I read about Siamese made me think of her. She never stops talking! Always chatted and sang to her babies and I thought once they were gone she'd stop but no, she chats to me. She follows me everywhere, up and down the stairs, into different rooms. And it's not in a needy, pestering way, it's like she just wants to keep me company.

Sminky is quite nervous (I looked after her for 4 days when her fosterer was on holidays) but again she is driven by the Siamese need to be sociable and even though another cat would have stayed hidden under the bed, every time she hid, she came out again and sat beside me.

irishmammy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's fantastic ! If I didn't work full time and have a fiesty, spoilt kitten at home already Id have silky flown over to London lol
Aww that's so lovely. Silky would probably get on great with your kitten...she too is a feisty girl with a mischievous side!