Earning Stray Cat's Trust

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No idea. TheThe spay surgery kit I think. I will go to his clinic and ask him to write it down for me so I can buy it before I take the cat there.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of that either! You're supposed to supply some kind of kit? :noway: The vet is going to do the surgery though right, not just stand there and tell you what to do?

I spaying not common where you are? I think you said Pakistan?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat is not showing any interest in catnip now. She enjoyed it very much the first time but now she does not sniff it and rub on it. Is she immune to it now?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you leave some catnip out all the time, she might ignore it. If you give it to her now and then, she should be interested.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People don't spay stray and feral cats here. Lots of dog population on the street too.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many times a week?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat is howling continuously today. She is looking very disturbed. Does this mean that she is in heat? If she is in heat then she is not pregnant yet.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She sounds like she’s in heat. Is she turning on her back and also her backside is up in the air and seeking your attention? If yes, she’s in heat.

Just make sure the male does not get to her. Can you keep her in the garage or catch her and get her spayed before she gets pregnant?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is not seeking my attention. She is howling and searching for tomcats I think.

Can you spay a cat after she gets pregnant? I mean a week after her heat cycle ends.

My garage has grills on the garden's side. A cat can move in and out of it without any problem. I can't keep her there.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is another picture. Her belly is more visible in this one.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I visited a different vet. He told me that after the operation I need to keep the cat in the house for at least 3 days. After 3 days I have to take the cat back to the clinic to remove the stitches. I asked for dissolvable stitches. He said that those stitches need long time to dissolve and with those stitches I need to keep the cat inside the house for 20 days.

People here are telling me that I can keep the cat inside a carrier for 24 hourse and then release it. I am confuse now. It would be difficult to keep the cat inside the house for this long. What should I do?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Your vet says after 3 days the stitches can be removed? Isn’t that too soon? Normally it takes 7-14 days provided that there’s no complications.

Can you buy some strong netting and cover the garage grilles so that the male cat can’t get in and you can keep her there after spaying her for her to recover?

This is the only way because you cannot keep her in the house and you it’s also not so good to keep her in the carrier for so many days as you cannot put a litter box in the carrier and also you can’t put food and water in there together as the carrier is too small. Unless you have a big dog cage then it’s possible.

Otherwise the option is keep inside your house OR discuss with the vet and see if you can leave her in the vet’s clinic for that few days. Explain to the vet your reason.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has already mated with 2 different toms. There is a room outside of our house. I am thinking of converting it for her. Can I use my garden soil for her litter box? And how many days do I need to keep her inside? If the vet uses dissolvable stitches then will she need to stay more inside?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most female cats are very sleepy and in some pain following a spay, and are content to stay inside for 2-3 days just sleeping and eating. It should therefore not be difficult to keep her inside for 3 days.

Ask for dissolving stitches. It heals better than external, which do indeed require 10-14 days before removal.

I also advise 3 days of pain meds for female cats post-surgery.

Males can be neutered and released in 24 hours. Their surgery takes 5 minutes and is very simple with an easy recovery.