Earning Stray Cat's Trust

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is not eating food like she used to. She eats canned cat food but she doesn't touch the dry food. May be she is not that hungry. She was meowing last night when I called her. Her meow was very throaty like she needs to clear her throat. I gavee her some raw meat last night and she ate it. She looks healthy though.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, stick to wet food then and maybe use the dry food as treats.

I’ll be careful with the raw meat. It has to be fresh and at the right temperature. Raw meat is very bacteria prone and may cause food poisoning if not kept or prepared correctly.

Feeding Raw To Cats - Safety Concerns

There are many articles on raw feeding here. Please have a look

Cat Food & Feeding | The Cat Site

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where should I keep the dry food after opening the packet or box? I keep it in a plastic shoper.

Does the dry food stale after some time? I think that is why the cat is not eating it. The dry food was in her bowl for two days.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You need an airtight container to store the dry food after it’s opened. You cannot leave the dry food in the bowl for too long as it’ll absorb the air and it’ll become soft and not fresh anymore and bacteria will grow on it.

So don’t fill up too much in the bowl.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could it be a reason why the cat is not eating it?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Could be and possibly yes. Also if left for long, rats may have walked over it or per in the bowl and that makes the food spoilt and unhealthy for the cat.

Rain can soak it wet too

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have opened a new packet of dry food and the cat is eating it. I gave her some catnip and she enjoyed it a lot. Today she played with the teaser for a few seconds then she ran away.

A male cat is coming in my house. He goes where the cat sleep and start howling. I thought the cat was pregnant already. Do pregnant cats mate too? What should I do? She looks very worried and looks repeatedly at the wall from where that tom cat comes in my house.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, fresh food is important.

About your question of does pregnant cats mate, I’m not too sure on this but I’ll try to get someone to help answer this question.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have opened a new packet of dry food and the cat is eating it. I gave her some catnip and she enjoyed it a lot. Today she played with the teaser for a few seconds then she ran away.

A male cat is coming in my house. He goes where the cat sleep and start howling. I thought the cat was pregnant already. Do pregnant cats mate too? What should I do? She looks very worried and looks repeatedly at the wall from where that tom cat comes in my house.
A litter of kittens can have many fathers and the kittens could be several days apart in gestational age. If the female is still in her heat cycle (which can last 1-8 days) then she will still accept mating and could release more eggs to have more kittens. Sometimes this can result in premature kittens when the queens body either goes into labor to abort the kittens who wouldn't make it or when she goes into labor some kittens are born too early while the others are fine. The other possibility is she wasn't pregnant and has gone into a new heat cycle. Another is that the male is reacting to lingering hormones from the last heat cycle or another female in the area.

Bottom line it would be best to keep the male away from the female, if possible.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How can I keep him away? These are outdoor cats.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will it stop coming to my house if I scare him a few time?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you get this male cat neutered? It makes me sad to think of you scaring him. :(

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
are there any organizations in your area that deal with strays and ferals? maybe they can help you out. are there any vets that specialize in cats? often times they might be able to help too. scaring any cat is mean and no it's not going to work. if she's in heat that's going to over come anything else to an unneutered male.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
couldn't you rethink your no pets in the house policy? :) pets enrich a persons life and you can make all the difference in theirs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is to get both cats spayed and neutered. It will stop the male's aggression, as well as the female's heat cycles.

If she is pregnant, she needs to be an inside-only cat to have and raise her kittens, and until she is spayed.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is very difficult to capture and take a stray cat to the vet without a humane trap. You have to befriend that cat and earn its trust. The female cat still doesn't trust me and I am trying to get her spayed. To neuter the tomcat I will need to earn its trust too and offer it food. If he starts regularly coming to my house where an unspayed already lives then I am going to end up with lots of kittens :) . Stray cat population is like an epidemic here. There are no organizations which can help you trap the animal. There are no Animal shelters here.

I have talked to the vet about the cat. He told me to bring my own equipment to spay the cat :) . He said that he won't take any fee though. He told me to put the cat in a bag and take her to his clinic.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Either you get a drop trap or if the cat can come very near you when she’s eating or if she let you pet her, then quickly catch her.

Get your carrier ready and put her in.

You must get the female cat first. Don’t worry about the male cat. Tackle him later after the female is spayed.