Earning Stray Cat's Trust

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is twice a day enough for her? I give her a bowl of dry food in morning and evening. She eats half on it and then she grooms herself. She loves wet cat food like friskies.

If I keep feeding her then she eats very little but If I give her food twice a day then she eats more.

I have give her a jingling rope ball cat toy. She plays with it when she is behind the car. I can hear the toy jingle. But she avoids playing when she can see me.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have some more questions. I am sorry I am bothering you with so many questions. Everyone here is so wonderful and kind.

If the cat is under the influence of catnip, will it runaway or hide if I try to put it in a carrier?

I have seen some videos of cats where they make growling sounds when they eat meat. Does every cat make these sounds? I find it very cute :) . My cat does not make any sounds when she eats.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Twice a day is good.

When she is playing, before you approach her, call her name and speak to her. Don’t just appear in front of her as she is still weary and that’s why she stops playing once she sees you.

If a cat is under the influence of catnip, she’ll just lay around in a world of their own but not as in under drugs or highly intoxicated with alcohol and looks drunk. Maybe they are a little calmer and you can try to carry her gently when she’s not paying attention to you and put her into the carrier. But make sure your carrier is safe and does not break open if she struggles to escape.

Not all cats make sounds when they eat. I know if a cat is deprived of food and have not eaten for some time might make those noises as they are very hungry. Once they are well fed and know that they have regular feedings, they should stop making those noises.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thong I noticed is that her pupils are bigger now. They were like a slit before but now they are like human eyeballs. Today she also allowed me to sit near her food bowl for a few seconds.

Can I use a laser light to play with her?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes you can it just don’t point into her eyes.

Pupils getting big and round could mean quite a bit of things. It could be at low light, she has to open the iris more to let light in to see in the dark or she could be weary or afraid of certain things. You can observe the ears and see if they keep moving and also does the ears move backwards, it means she’s alert and she sense something. The other is she may not feel well.

A confident cat has slit pupils or if they are under bright sun or bright lights.

Good to hear that you can sit close to her and she’s slowly gaining to trust you.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here in Pakistan, people feed there pets animal leftovers. That is mostly animal fat, very little meat and bones. Is this healthy for an animal? What about offal? Can I feed my cat raw offal?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Too much fats are unhealthy and bones are dangerous uncooked and worst is cooked as it cause the bones to be brittle and sharp and it cut the throat and guts of the cat when they swallow them.

Best is to cook the meat or Offals By-products In Cat Food: 5 Facts You Need To Know (by products) so that bacteria are killed and cat won’t fall sick from Salmonella poisoning Feeding Raw To Cats - Safety Concerns

Common Foods That Are Harmful To Cats

Left over human foods are not so good as they don’t have the proper or enough nutrients the cat needs for growth and health. And especially cooked human food is no good because spices are added for taste and most spices like garlic and onions to name a few are dangerous to cats. Also rice and grains are also no good.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Neo. I understand that you want to get her spayed, them perhaps earn her trust? She reminds me of a current kitty I befriended. This one after nearly two years of earning her trust, still will not allow me to place both my hands along her lower side as if to pick her up. I got her to the vet by enticing her near and gradually into the back of a carrier using her food. I made sure that it was her only meal during that phase of the day, so that her food drive would overcome any fear of entering an enclosure head first, with only one way out, which was behind her.

That probably wasn't the best of situations for the vet to sedate her, using a carrier, but it was my only option at the time. A live trap with forks that can be placed through the side is far better, which allows the vet to restrict her movement making sedation easy and safe for everyone.

If getting her spayed is your primary concern, it is better that you focus solely on that and win her trust afterwards. You want to get her spayed fast, before she makes babies :celebrate:. Friend her afterward. Being that she continues to come near, you have already found her favor. Trapping or getting her to the vet won't change that...she'll quickly forgive you.

MYkittychance123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a stray and she was a friendly cat at the start but there is a way when the cat is next to you put your fingers in a position when your about to click them then put it near her and she will usually touch her nose to your finger try this for a week if she does not do it once then it’s going to be tricky if she does do it then she likes you.

:jump::party3::rock: Good job for trying to get the get the cat and get it spayed but I call it desexed

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is this live trap with forks? I don't understand.

She looks pregnant right now and I don't want to kill the babies. She will take her babies away after the birth. Then when she returns I will get her spayed.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She won't let me near her. I put out my hand in front of her from some distance. She kept eating and then walk away :) .

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It takes time and lots of love and patience. With her eating near you is already a very good sign. Just don’t give up.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are talking about humane traps? They are not available here.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes a humane trap. Best example I know is the Tru-Catch. It has optional forks the height and width of the trap, that you can insert through the side to restrict the cat for easy sedation by a vet or limit its movement to one side (has a door at each end) so you can access for cleaning or feeding. It is temporary for transporting, vet visit, holding for a day or two after surgery, then the cat is returned to their colony or neighborhood. Was just a thought...please disregard.

Since she is pregnant, spaying is out of the question until the kitties are born, as you stated. This may also explain her reluctance to let her guard down. The mommy-to-be is caring for and protecting her unborn.

Now the task gets tricky if you're after controlling the feral cat population in your immediate area. Hard part is, now you'll have mom and a basket of kittens to get neutered and spayed. The easier part is catching them all. I suggest you start early and design, build, plan and prepare your box trap (since she is outside). Besides here at TCS, Neighborhood Cats | Home (a Trap-Neuter-Return organization) has lots of valuable info to help you.

If you haven't done so...seeing here that you really care for her, you need to get her setup with some sort of secure, welcoming and safe outdoor shelter, where she can settle down and have those babies, otherwise she may seek such a shelter away and have her babies at a time and location unbeknown to you.

I have heard of a few instances (one local to myself) where the mom being comfortable, fed and protected will have her litter outside, then bring them all to the door of the guardian of her choice. It's like, "I will place myself under your protection, if you will allow my babies also." :wave3:

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only want to spay her. I don't think I can take responsibility of her babies.

Won't she give birth at this other place she goes to? I don't even want her as a pet. I just want to spay her.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The other thing I don't understand is these feral colonies. I have never seen cats hang around in groups.

Cats here live and sleep outside people's homes. The feed them but don't keep them as pets. These cats live individually and don't form a group or colony of feral cats. I have never seen a cat act wildly towards a human. These cats interact with people everyday. What group would you put these cats in? Are these feral cats or stray cats?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is not playing with laser. She just sits there.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today i was watching the cat from a window. She was sitting in sunlight. She suddenly fell on the ground and rolled over. I know when a cat shows her stomach she shows confidence in the owner. But she was not aware that I was watching her.

Does that mean something? Is she showing interest in her environment?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When you said she rolled over as not in breaking her fall?

Yes, when a cat rolls on her back exposing the belly means she has trust in the owner or she’s very comfortable and confident in the surroundings.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She rolled on the ground and the got up. It is like when cats show their belly to their owners. She was not doing it in front of me. I was watching her from my room. She didn't see me.