Corona Virus Now Spreading

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I was talking to my SIL (Rick's sister) and she was doing a lot of complaining: can't go to the grocery store, can't go to the library (she's a library volunteer), her roots are really bad, etc. I was commiserating with her about the roots thing; my roots are really bad, too.

But, you know, if the only thing that I can really complain about is the state of my hair roots? I'm damned lucky. We have a roof over our heads, we have food in the freezers, we're in fairly good health, we have each other, and we have our cats. The electricity is on, our bellies are (a little too) full. We retired, and my pension comes in every month, along with our SS checks. Yeah, when I found paper towels at Target the other week, I felt like we had won the lottery. But I also realize that that is minor.

In other words, we are incredibly blessed during this time. I know it sounds really trite, but think about it. Not everybody has a warm place to live and food to eat.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to my SIL (Rick's sister) and she was doing a lot of complaining: can't go to the grocery store, can't go to the library (she's a library volunteer), her roots are really bad, etc. I was commiserating with her about the roots thing; my roots are really bad, too.

But, you know, if the only thing that I can really complain about is the state of my hair roots? I'm damned lucky. We have a roof over our heads, we have food in the freezers, we're in fairly good health, we have each other, and we have our cats. The electricity is on, our bellies are (a little too) full. We retired, and my pension comes in every month, along with our SS checks. Yeah, when I found paper towels at Target the other week, I felt like we had won the lottery. But I also realize that that is minor.

In other words, we are incredibly blessed during this time. I know it sounds really trite, but think about it. Not everybody has a warm place to live and food to eat.
Same here, except- what is hair?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele isn't bothered by the salons being closed, as she stopped going several years ago. Her hair still retains a goodly amount of the red she had when younger, and she is disappointed that there isn't more gray to it. Not that I am complaining, mind you.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this article that pretty well confirms the theory that the case numbers at the meat plant might be high, but when you do full testing of every one in a certain area, most of them are asymptomatic. So it might seem scary to have an outbreak CONFIRMED by testing, but in reality, there are outbreaks everywhere...we just don't know it yet.
Coronavirus clue? Most cases aboard U.S. aircraft carrier are symptom-free

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele isn't bothered by the salons being closed, as she stopped going several years ago. Her hair still retains a goodly amount of the red she had when younger, and she is disappointed that there isn't more gray to it. Not that I am complaining, mind you.
I'm not bothered either. I have quite a bit of grey, but have never dyed my hair. It blends in nicely with the rest of my natural highlights. So I don't have "roots". I did give myself a haircut yesterday though. But it was a "pass the time" hair cut, I don't get my hair cut professionally....ever. They always screw it up...curly hair anyone??? We'll see over the next couple of days how my hair responds to my end trims, I took more off then usual.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most people are asymptomatic or have such mild symptoms they think it's just a cold or allergies.
Not only that but they keep adding to the list of possible symptoms. Basically, they now know that someone could have it and all they presented with is diarrhea. And they (in my area at least) were really only focusing on "high risk" people (those who traveled and been exposed to those who traveled).
At first, you were not considered to have it unless you had the cough, shortness of breath and fever AND travel or exposure to someone who traveled. In our area, they wouldn't even test you if you didn't meet the criteria. For example, if you presented with sinus issues...you most likely had a cold, so no test. If you didn't travel or know someone who traveled...no test. I do understand this, because they were worried about testing supplies running out, and the back log was extensive, but now they are really going to have to ramp up antibody testing...and how long is that going to take?
They are testing more people now, but how many people are walking around (their living room...lol..) immune, that were sick last month?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only that but they keep adding to the list of possible symptoms. Basically, they now know that someone could have it and all they presented with is diarrhea. And they (in my area at least) were really only focusing on "high risk" people (those who traveled and been exposed to those who traveled).
At first, you were not considered to have it unless you had the cough, shortness of breath and fever AND travel or exposure to someone who traveled. In our area, they wouldn't even test you if you didn't meet the criteria. For example, if you presented with sinus issues...you most likely had a cold, so no test. If you didn't travel or know someone who traveled...no test. I do understand this, because they were worried about testing supplies running out, and the back log was extensive, but now they are really going to have to ramp up antibody testing...and how long is that going to take?
They are testing more people now, but how many people are walking around (their living room...lol..) immune, that were sick last month?
That's what scares me. I've never really been a hypochondriac (all of my health concerns have turned out to be valid), but the pandemic is turning me into one. I find myself questioning every little abnormality now :sigh:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find myself questioning every little abnormality now :sigh:
I was sick last month, and now that I'm better, I'm HOPING I had it. I really want antibody testing to start as soon as possible...I'll be first in line. Not only that, but if I already had it, even if I can't go back to MY job...which is deemed "non-essential", I am a health care provider so I could apply for the many positions that the government opened up to help with our health care shortage.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it is true that most of us have been exposed then we will actually be able to return to some semblance of normalcy sooner then waiting for a vaccine. It will then be one of those bugs that comes around every so often like a cold or the flu. Most people will be under the weather for awhile and then be fine. There will be those for whom it will be serious just as with the flu and sometimes if someone is very elderly or in fragile health a cold is serious.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, which we're now learning was one big COVID-19 party. And he got "a cold" soon after getting home, and my mom got it soon after that. So now my mom is assuming they've had it and isn't being very careful (she does wear a mask in public because she's afraid of passing it on to a fragile person, but is still having the grandkids over a lot, etc.). So I hope they ramp up the antibody testing so we can find out for sure.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm curious too how much immunity you have if you've gotten it and recovered, and how long that immunity lasts. If it isn't protective or doesn't last long then antibody testing isn't really of much use.

I'm going to pick up my antibiotics today for the suspected bronchitis, so hopefully they can kick it. I'm also considering going to a drive thru to pick up nachos, hoping that's safe.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this virus is as genetically agile as, say, the flu and the common cold, then your immunity would probably be of only limited value- maybe enough to lessen the effects, but not enough to prevent a recurrence.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thing is even if the immunity is short lived the 'memory' is still there. It won't be the first time being exposed to it so there won't be the chance of the immune system going crazy because it has never had to deal with this one before. That is what I mean about we as a species accommodating the virus like we do a cold. In fact a percentage of the colds that we get now are caused by a type of coronavirus.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So is the garden-variety flu. The problem is that because they mutate from one year to another, the immunity doesn't perfectly align, like it does with, say, polio or smallpox.