Corona Virus Now Spreading

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Smithfield positive tests are up to 644 so now it's the #1 hot spot in the US. An immigrant worker's advocacy non-profit says that an employee has died from the virus, but the media won't confirm that until a death certificate is issued. And the CDC is sending a team to make sure the plant gets properly disinfected.

I wish I knew if this was really unusual or just what happens when you test everybody at a particular workplace.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Smithfield positive tests are up to 644 so now it's the #1 hot spot in the US. An immigrant worker's advocacy non-profit says that an employee has died from the virus, but the media won't confirm that until a death certificate is issued. And the CDC is sending a team to make sure the plant gets properly disinfected.

I wish I knew if this was really unusual or just what happens when you test everybody at a particular workplace.
I'd bet its what happens when you test better. This is probably a LOT more widespread then we realize. I wouldn't be surprised if we are actually in a second wave that is more severe then the first like what happened in 1918.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I used to have a primary care doctor who was absolutely amazing, but he has since retired. I've since bounced around to urgent care clinics and last fall tried to establish a new primary doctor's office - which was just a bad experience all around. I've been trying to contact them to schedule a telehealth appointment as I've had a cough for over a week and am concerned about bronchitis but they've not been responsive at all and I'm just super frustrated. So this morning I called a different office, recommended to me by one of my coworkers, and am going to establish care there. And they scheduled me for an appointment at 1:30 this afternoon.

A big bonus was that the receptionist was very amused by Friday's meow-bombing of my phone call, she says her cat does the same :)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend who started feeling sick March 31 is still feeling sick and has a very bad cough and low grade fever. She has been waiting for tests in her area, and will hopefully get tested today.

I was talking to my therapist the other day, who is near school, and he was still mentioning it should be fairly safe there when I need to clean out my rental in NC. I argued, I'm betting there are a lot of people out there that probably have it, but they cannot get tested for one reason or another. My friend is just a couple hours away from my school, and hearing that she was waiting for tests to be available confirms my suspicion.

My brothers friend, who works at a grocery store here in IL was sick, but had been tested and received negative, but my brother wonders how many tests are negative that may actually be positive.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm actually really liking my new doctor. Obviously you can't do much through a virtual appointment, but he thinks I have bronchitis. So I'm to wait a couple of days and if I'm not any better Friday to pick up an antibiotic he sent to my pharmacy. He let me know if I get any worse to call again and we'll talk next steps.

But yeah, I'm sure there are many who are sick and just aren't able to be tested.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember that one. He had a good one today (for those of us with an offbeat sense of humor :) ).
View attachment 330242

That is cute. I read a little comedic article about the TP thing. The author went on a bit about the TP shortage and the fights in the store over TP he then got started on the paper towel shortage. He went on about that for a bit saying that was more baffling then it dawned on him. He said no can't do that, it will plug up the plumbing in your home, no don't do that.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lord help us if it gets to the rainy season here (extreme heat and humidity in June-Aug) and people are hyper-paranoid about using air conditioners...we already have an electric fan superstition...

Does air conditioner help spread coronavirus? Chinese study suggests so

(Though I believe the key here isn't necessarily the A/C, but the fact that it was a windowless restaurant, meaning there was no ventilation at all!)

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way that we are skipping a/c this summer... not when we hit 120 degrees at the height.
No
Friggin
Way

Just make sure the HEPA air filters are changed in a timely fashion, for cryin' out loud. That was actually one of the first things I did when this started looking serious.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not been able to use the A/C for 2 years since I fractured my humerus. Something in me messed up when I fell. I close the vents to the A/C where I'm at as it's stupid to make Mom suffer because I'm freezing. So I won't be in A/C: not because of COVID 19 but because I freeze all the time now, even in 100 degree weather.

Got my cloth face masks today.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of ours husband is going to the hospital for digestive issues. Even though it's not CoVid, the hospital is a scary place to be these days. I'll be making her a mask so she can hopefully visit him. Hoping he doesn't pick it up while he's there.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of ours husband is going to the hospital for digestive issues. Even though it's not CoVid, the hospital is a scary place to be these days. I'll be making her a mask so she can hopefully visit him. Hoping he doesn't pick it up while he's there.
My mom went in the hospital a few weeks ago. No visitors allowed at all inside the hospital. Even when she went in through the emergency room no one could be with her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not been able to use the A/C for 2 years since I fractured my humerus. Something in me messed up when I fell. I close the vents to the A/C where I'm at as it's stupid to make Mom suffer because I'm freezing. So I won't be in A/C: not because of COVID 19 but because I freeze all the time now, even in 100 degree weather.

Got my cloth face masks today.
Have you had your thyroid checked? I have been hypothyroid for years and I can always tell when it’s worse because I can’t tolerate cold.