Corona Virus Now Spreading

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This was from Milan Italy on Easter Sunday. I know a lot of people here aren't Christian but this is still a beautiful song.

I watched the entire concert. I was beautiful. You did not have to be Christian to enjoy it.---at least in my opinion. I am Catholic.

I only wish it was longer than 30 minutes. It ended too soon for me. It was so beautiful.

This also had me discover YouTube on my Comcast TV On Demand, app... never knew.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I withstood biting winds and cold standing in line outdoors at Aldi’s waiting to get in and buy my favorite apples. They are limiting the numbered people in the store . I wore my used N95 mask which was smelly and uncomfortable but fortunately the apples were in and I am set with fruit for the next couple weeks. I am nervous about fresh foods that have been touched by others but I soaked them in water and then rinsed each one separately. I will give them at least 24 hours before eating any.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I withstood biting winds and cold standing in line outdoors at Aldi’s waiting to get in and buy my favorite apples. They are limiting the numbered people in the store . I wore my used N95 mask which was smelly and uncomfortable but fortunately the apples were in and I am set with fruit for the next couple weeks. I am nervous about fresh foods that have been touched by others but I soaked them in water and then rinsed each one separately. I will give them at least 24 hours before eating any.
That's what I've read is the way to treat fresh food. And wash hands after handling anything from the store. I have a space in my fridge for the 24 hour wait time things. Experts say the transmission from food possibility is very low, but to be careful with food.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, one of my facebook friends posted this NPR article, which makes me feel a bit better about not having been disinfecting crazy with our groceries.I guess you can never be too careful, but I think I'd be worse for my mental health if I had to worry about it that much.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brother, his wife, and their 10 month old baby are all sick - probably/hopefully just with bad colds. They're both working from home but have been taking their baby to daycare so they can get work done so it's not really surprising they'd come down with something; kids are little germ factories. Hoping they all get better.

Personally, I'm feeling better - I'm getting over a cough but I think that is due to allergies/burning pasture. I am also in the midst of a costochondritis flare which has been playing with my anxiety but when I press on my sternum there is no doubt that is what it is.

My parents are still doing grocery pickup and my dad offered to pick me up a couple of things which was really nice of him. I could get by with what I have but I've had a mad craving for cereal.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our lockdown here in the UK is continuing:
No easing of lockdown in sight as 717 more hospital patients die -LIVE

My brother, his wife, and their 10 month old baby are all sick - probably/hopefully just with bad colds. They're both working from home but have been taking their baby to daycare so they can get work done so it's not really surprising they'd come down with something; kids are little germ factories. Hoping they all get better.

Personally, I'm feeling better - I'm getting over a cough but I think that is due to allergies/burning pasture. I am also in the midst of a costochondritis flare which has been playing with my anxiety but when I press on my sternum there is no doubt that is what it is.

My parents are still doing grocery pickup and my dad offered to pick me up a couple of things which was really nice of him. I could get by with what I have but I've had a mad craving for cereal.
I hope your brother and his family get well soon. Glad to hear that you're recovering. :)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the people in my coding program aren't able to complete externships on site, our program director set up a series of medical office simulations online. It's not quite as good as in-person experience, but I'll take what I can get.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've now shut down a beef packing plant and a Tyson chicken plant in Iowa because of so many employees testing positive. I really wonder why meat packing plant employees are testing positive so much. I'm also getting a little concerned about the food supply :/.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it that they are testing positive at a higher then average rate or is it that they are now being tested at a higher then average rate? People working at these plants are now being tested, asymptomatic people in general are not being tested in the U.S. If random asymptomatic people in this country were being tested I think we would find the same thing in people in general. I also am beginning to thing there are different strains with different virulence circulating in different parts of the country. Ohio has three urban centers but we have not had the issues that similar areas like New Orleans and Detroit have had. Is it just luck or are they different strains?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've now shut down a beef packing plant and a Tyson chicken plant in Iowa because of so many employees testing positive. I really wonder why meat packing plant employees are testing positive so much. I'm also getting a little concerned about the food supply :/.
I read something interesting about that! So apparently most meat plants refrigerate one side of the building where they do the meat packing, and the other side with the processing is warmer. The difference in temperature creates a difference in air pressure, which creates a strong wind throughout the building. So you cough in one spot, and the particles are blown all over the building.

Probably also means viral particles are landing on the meat, but as long as you cook it that shouldn't present a risk.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also am beginning to thing there are different strains with different virulence circulating in different parts of the country.
I will try to find the article I read but it seems like this virus has mutated. I believe it said there were 4. The mutations are so insignificant though, so they wouldn't call a "different strain", but that doesn't mean that it may not affect a human differently.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it that they are testing positive at a higher then average rate or is it that they are now being tested at a higher then average rate?
That's one thing I'd like to know. Is it that or something inherent to the meat packing process?
Probably also means viral particles are landing on the meat, but as long as you cook it that shouldn't present a risk.
Heh, there's a cooking Facebook group I belong to, and one person showed her beef roast had a puncture in it, and asked if she should still cook it. Everybody said, eww, no, you don't know what it was punctured with, throw it away! Commenting had already been turned off so I couldn't comment, but I was thinking, well lady, I hate to tell you that roast has been in a dead cow. Before that it was in a live cow. And cows have a lot of odd punctures on them (injections, cuts, barbed wire incidents, places where scars and growths and stuff have been cut out, etc.), not to mention the butchering process. Kind of silly to worry about that if you're going to cook it.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this from one Q and A site about Covid-19...still haven't found the one I originally read...

"The rate of mutation in coronaviruses — about two mutations per month — is much slower than with the influenza virus, which averages about eight to 10 mutations per month. It means there are slight differences in the genetic code in various locations. This is how scientists can track the origin of a particular infection.

Scientists have, for instance, tracked the infections on the Grand Princess cruise ship and determined the virus originally came from Washington state. Other strains have been found in different California counties, and scientists are trying to track their origin and document the path of spread."

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And cows have a lot of odd punctures on them (injections, cuts, barbed wire incidents, places where scars and growths and stuff have been cut out, etc.). Kind of silly to worry about that if you're going to cook it.
Not to mention that they inject meat with a solution to give it it's nice "red color". Meat in the grocery store shouldn't be red, we just think it is because of processing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to mention that they inject meat with a solution to give it it's nice "red color". Meat in the grocery store shouldn't be red, we just think it is because of processing.
I don't think they inject it, in the US at least. They do gas it though.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8 strains of the coronavirus are circling the globe. Here's what clues they're giving scientists.

This might have been what I read....or at least the same information was used in this article...I remember the color map picture.
That's a decent article, but it could clarify something a little better: The different strains of the virus do not show any functional differences yet in how the virus behaves, so speculation that the some countries have a more or less virulent strain are not supported by the evidence. Most countries have a mix of multiple strains circulating. None of these mutations have made any changes that make a difference. What these tiny mutations do show are clues to how the virus travels around the globe, which is less interesting.