Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do really want a haircut, I was needing one when the hair salons shut down so I really need one now. Some businesses are supposed to be able to reopen on May 1. They have to be small businesses where social distancing can be maintained so no hair salons. I imagine they will be in the last group that can reopen.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've cut my own hair before (it's short). It wasn't great but not terrible either. And people would be more understanding now. It's not that shaggy yet but I'll probably give it a try soon.

A co-worker says his wife had her hair done the other day. All the official salons are closed so she must have gone to someone who works out of their home.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
❓~ The fact this is the 3rd (?) virus coming from China - each one worse than before - is something we need to be concerned about.😷
It's probably somewhat unavoidable, unfortunately. They have 1/5 of the world's population, extremely densely populated in most places, and Mao really put the country behind so many areas can't afford proper sanitation, and there are somewhat casual attitudes about food safety. It does sound like their government is going to try to crack down on the wildlife meat trade so hopefully that will help a bit.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IL has officially called school off for the rest of the year. I know it's best, but I was hoping to see my students one more time before I left.

I guess there's a midwest coalition working together - IL, WI, MI, MN, IN, OH and KY on how and when to reopen the region. Hopefully they'll be sensible about it. Pritzker wasn't my choice in the primary, but he's been pretty solid on this.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DeWine was out very early and was aggressive on the shutdown. I didn't like the whiplash stuff with the primary but they seem to have got the all mailin primary going right, the deadline for that is April 28. He has let his medical people take the lead including letting his Medical Director be front and center taking the lions share of the time at the daily news conference. It has to be a coalition of states acting together because of towns on the state borders and cities that cross state lines. For Ohio and Kentucky it would be Cincinnati.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The experts finally are giving real facts in the daily briefing in D.C. They are going to be doing about 4 million tests a month as part of a monitoring like they do for the flu. The testing outside of symptomatic people will be done with vulnerable people, nursing homes, first responders, community health centers and indigenous people. They have also perfected the testing. The special swabs and viral transport media which is the reagents that we were getting from overseas is no longer needed. They are also working on an antigen test which is the swab that they use for instant diagnosis, it is what is used in a doctors office for strep throat. A positive is always correct but there are false negatives. A negative with symptoms then goes to the more specific testing which is the 4 million a month that is being done.

It is kind of like what Churchill said about the U.S. The U.S. finally gets it right after they try everything else first.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of videos on making a mask from socks. I haven't tried any of them. I just ordered some bandanas to try to make from them.
I got my masks already. Didn't make them because I can't get a good grip on anything so I ordered off of Amazon with gift cards I earned watching videos. Then to top it off the up and down, up and down, one day hot next day cold, rain then sun then snow (yep) in one day or the drop of 40 degrees in 2 hours and back up does not help with these joints. Remember I have issues of trip over catitis lol. Anyway the masks are pretty. And fit nice and snug but yet comfortable. And most important I can breathe.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably somewhat unavoidable, unfortunately. They have 1/5 of the world's population, extremely densely populated in most places, and Mao really put the country behind so many areas can't afford proper sanitation, and there are somewhat casual attitudes about food safety. It does sound like their government is going to try to crack down on the wildlife meat trade so hopefully that will help a bit.
~ I hope that you are correct ...

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
❓~ The fact this is the 3rd (?) virus coming from China - each one worse than before - is something we need to be concerned about.😷
The next pandemic could come from anywhere. The Spanish flu probably originated in Kansas. What we need is to create the infrastructure to deal with the fallout properly, the funding for research, and to keep these supported even when we forget what a novel virus can do so we're not caught off guard again.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Spanish flu's first outbreak in the U.S. was among soldiers in Kansas but that wasn't it's origin, they were just one of the few groups at that time who traveled beyond the U.S. No one really knows where it began because they didn't have the tracking that we have now. There is a theory that it too began in China. Did the Spanish Flu pandemic really start in Spain? The theory is that it made the original move out of China with Chinese laborers hired to work in France and Britain during WWI, allied soldiers then brought it to the U.S. making the first outbreak in the U.S. at an Army base in Kansas. It was a bird flu which has cropped up all over the world. It has shown up in flocks here in the U.S. on a pretty regular basis. Because of the hands off nature of factory farming and early detection it hasn't made the jump in recent times in the U.S. The flocks are destroyed, the dead birds burned and the containment thoroughly disinfected.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I try to understand it from their perspective, a lot of them anyway. Yes there are general malcontents in the bunch and people who are blind Trump supporters. There are also people who have or are in the process of losing everything. Their business that they built over a number of years is gone. Food Banks are overrun and many people going to them are people that are middle aged or nearing middle aged who had never been to a food bank before. I am fortunate. I am in an essential business and for the most part can work from home. I am even getting a little overtime now. My job depends on ambulance runs being paid for, if they aren't paid for then the company I work for doesn't get paid. There is a limit to how long this can go on and I remain employed. I guess what I am trying to say people are loosing at different rates and some have lost a lot.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand the people's frustration. Here in NY, the vast majority of cases are in NYC, but here in upstate, we don't have subways or extensive bus lines, except in Buffalo. As a result, our lower population density and lower reliance on public transportation means there is also a lower rate of spread, meaning that hospitals are less likely to be overwhelmed. Yet, we are treated as though we are NYC, and the same standards are applied. Do I think that there should be no restrictions? Not at all, but when people's life's work has been destroyed by government fiat- and our shutdown has been extended to May 15 now- they are going to be angry with those who did the destroying.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We are all in this together, but we are all having a unique experience. Compassion is necessary!

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT...

I heard it said that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.

For some, quarantine is optimal: a moment of reflection, of re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.

In some homes a sole occupant faces endless loneliness. In others, family members are getting peace, rest, and time with each other — while in still others, quarantine means an increased danger due to domestic violence.

With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.

Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.

Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.

Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.

Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.

Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.

Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.

So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.
Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.

We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.

Unknown author

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are all in this together, but we are all having a unique experience. Compassion is necessary!

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT...

I heard it said that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.

For some, quarantine is optimal: a moment of reflection, of re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.

In some homes a sole occupant faces endless loneliness. In others, family members are getting peace, rest, and time with each other — while in still others, quarantine means an increased danger due to domestic violence.

With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.

Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.

Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.

Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.

Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.

Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.

Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.

So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.
Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.

We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.

Unknown author
Amen.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IDK what it's like in the rest of the country, I live on the New York City border, everyone in town is assigned 2 days a week we can go to our local grocery stores and they only let in 10 people at a time. They've set a limit on essentials per visit we can buy; 5lbs of meat, 4 dairy items, 2 bags of frozen vegetables, 2 cartons of eggs, 2 loaves of bread.
Every time I've driven there the line wraps around the entire strip mall. I don't need anything badly enough to stand on that line even if there was no pandemic.

92871935_10158355820527090_4112494987659182080_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: