Colette & Her Hooman

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a really great site and I finally signed up. The support is nonpareil! Thank you everyone at The Cat Site.

On December 7, 2017, I went to adopt an adult cat and came home with a kitten. I was looking for a pet for myself and a buddy for my roommate's very old dachshund. At a huge city adoption event, the one semi-long haired, friendly black female "Blackie" was taken before I could locate my roommate at the convention hall and bring her back. At that point I was fast running out of time to bring a cat home and get to work. Also, there wouldn't be another Mega Adoption Event until next year. I would have my cat for Christmas, 2017.

I targeted the section closest to the entrance and tried to avoid the sick cats I had seen. There were 3 black smoke kittens in the very first cage and one was a female. Not getting a semi-long haired, friendly black female that I set out for didn't mean I couldn't get one that would grow into an adult. I decided poor, old Snoopy the dachshund was going to have to endure a feisty kitten. The shelter staff asked if I would take 2 kittens and explained the benefits, but I wasn't prepared to take on 2 furbaby siblings, as adorable as they would have been. I took the one 9-week-old black smoke female, named Lola, signed the paperwork, and brought her home. My roommate drove, and I wanted to bond with this tiny creature. I went against the recommendations and let her out of the carrier, gently keeping her on my sweater as I mused about what to name her.

I had wanted to get a cat and name her Phoebe, but that didn't suit this kitten. I thought about naming her Whisper. It kind of suited her, being so small ("Wisp"), and continued a theme. I had a black cat as a child named Echo.

But Whisper wasn't rolling off the tongue nicely. The next day, after watching this little charcoal puffball race around the room, I derived "coal" into Colette. There, I gave my kitty a French name and paid homage to my beloved late grandma Toupie, who gave me a French name and named her dog FeeFee. "Colette" suited my new kitten, and I call her by singing out the second syllable so it almost sounds like a cat trill.

Colette was adopted almost 5 months ago and she's growing up fast. She's taught me a lot about just how sensitive and intelligent these amazing creatures are. I hope we have a long, wonderful life together. :petcat:

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
3116C7F2-9CF9-456E-BF29-A12252458FF1.gif
Frankophile Feline Fan and Colette, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
E8527763-3B02-4A64-85C7-C8BFCDA9B722.gif

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

So we meet again. Colette is beautiful! :lovecat2: :lovecat: :purr:

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! :welcomesign:
Glad to meet you and sweet Colette, who has a very fitting name! You definitely made the right choice in joining TCS. Although I'm fairly new myself, I've found a wealth of information here on cat wellness, and I've made some friends in the process. Not to mention all the adorable cat pictures! When you have a minute, feel free to post in the picture forums - we'd love to see more of Colette!

Black Cats Only