Cat Had Kittens. These Weights Ok?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly what kmr do you use? Sometimes its a good idea to mix them.

But if you have real raw goats milk, its good enough.

Give it as much as he wants, ie if he wants more than the prescribed, its OK to give more.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly what kmr do you use? Sometimes its a good idea to mix them.

But if you have real raw goats milk, its good enough.

Give it as much as he wants, ie if he wants more than the prescribed, its OK to give more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s on beaphar that’s all the pet shop had in but have ordered some Royal Canin which is due Friday.
Large one now weighs around 96/97grams. Was hard to get a good weight because he wouldn’t stop wiggling!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Beaphar is OK, so is Royal canin.
You can blend some with the goats milk if you wish.
If its dry, supposed to mix 1:2 with water, you use 1:3 with goats milk.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brilliant. Thankyou. Is the weight ok for the larger kitten?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want the kittens to gain at least 6-10g per day. Sounds like they are doing well so far!

They don’t need to see the vet until 8 weeks unless you have concerns.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little kitten has stopped feeding again and I’m having to force feed again, he’s crying for food but doesn’t seem to have to energy to suckle again like he was at the syringe.
His weight has dropped slightly to 83grams.
Do I just keep forcing the fluids?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can smear on his lips and gum a mix of water and honey or white caro syrup. It gives quick energy, as glucose sugar in honey is taken immediately into the blood.
Little kitten has stopped feeding again and I’m having to force feed again, he’s crying for food but doesn’t seem to have to energy to suckle again like he was at the syringe.
His weight has dropped slightly to 83grams.
Do I just keep forcing the fluids?
You can even give him such a pedialyte instead of food for a while.
1 cup for coffe with water, 1 teaspoon honey, a trifle salt...

Its not as nourishing as real goats milk / kmr, but IF the dyieing has began, so the digestion has stopped too...

Make sure he is warm enough (but not too warm), massage him if necessary. Talk a lot with nice voice, nice sounds, everything to increase his will to life.

Its Red Alert for him.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just doing the water and honey now. Thankyou for your help.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been @peanut, he’s now not suckling, and he just seems to be ‘holding’ onto the drop that I put in at the back of his throat now.

IS tube feeding a possibility? I have no experience in doing it to kittens, only people (ex nurse)
Can it be much more difficult? (Clutching at pearls here)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, tube feeding is certainly possible if you can get a vet to show you how!

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right Ill call vets now!
Mum Cat just found me syringe feeding kitten and she’s taken him from me. At least he’s had some honey water. I’ll go and observe what’s happening after I’ve spoken to the vets

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you had done it to humans, you know the basics. The problem is, it seems many vet dont know how to. That is btw one of the reasons we usually dont mention it.

Anyway, when enough desperate, a shadow of chance is better than slow dying.

You can find good descriptions googling on it. Find several good description, read thoruoughly, find where they are in common...

The difficulty is probably to have the proper gears, as the basics how to and how to not you do already known.
I have been @peanut, he’s now not suckling, and he just seems to be ‘holding’ onto the drop that I put in at the back of his throat now.

IS tube feeding a possibility? I have no experience in doing it to kittens, only people (ex nurse)
Can it be much more difficult? (Clutching at pearls here)

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet has said not to. I’m not very impressed. They wouldn’t sell me the equipment either as they have said it isn’t worth it.
I’ve had a quick google on how to do it and I’m pretty confident I can do it. My only problem is now being able to get a hold of a tube. Nothing on amazon prime that I am find and no shops here sell them. Any ideas you lovely people?!

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve rang over 6 pet stores that are ‘local’ to me and no one has any. The nearest cat protection is well over 2 hours drive from me too. I’m at a loss as of what to do

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Partner has managed to find some very thin tubing from an aquatic store. He’s on his way home. Fingers crossed it fits the syringes!
So I’m measuring the tube from the nose to the last rib, marking the tube where the rib is, then slowly insert down, if kitten cries and the tube is down and the line ends at the nose it’s in the correct position but if kitten isn’t making any sound and the tube ISNT to the line I’ve gone down the wrong hole, is this correct? I’m absolutely terrified! But I feel like if I don’t try he won’t make it.