Cat Had Kittens. These Weights Ok?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go to a vet and get tubes there.
A 6mm is perfect.
You will see the huge difference between that tube and one from the aquatic store.
Now I will read the thread to get more details on why you are wanting to tube feed

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, to measure the tube amt to get to the tummy, using the side of the baby, hold the tip of it at the lowest rib, then along it's body, neck, throat, curve it out the mouth to the lips and mark it there.
This will be what you want to see once inserted.
This is very touchy to explain over the internet but good you are a nurse so you know the scoop.
The trickiest part is getting the tube past the curve where the throat begins, just give it a slight wiggle to work it down, baby will hate it at this time until it's passed.
Once it's past that area it will slide down easily. If you feel any amt of resistance back it out a bit and wiggle slightly as you try again, it should slide easily.
Once inserted to the point where it's marked, hold it there, place the syringe filled with the amt of milk you are giving on the end firmly enough that it won't pop off. Make sure you have it ready prior to inserting tube, and keep it in a cup of warm water until you connect it.
Then just push it in. Doesn't have to be very slow, but not super fast either.
You should feel the tummy fill up.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven’t replied sooner, the tubing was far to stiff and thick anyway, so don’t worry I wouldn’t of attempted anyway, (partner said over the phone or was soft but i knew when I saw it, it was not flexable enough)
The kitten is cold after being snuggled with mum. He doesn’t have the strength to sickle at all now. He has a mucus coming out of his nose when he breathes. I’ve used an old sterilised aspiration bulb that my younger child had and it’s sucked loads of slimy mucus out.
There isn’t as much coming out now. It’s 20:30pm here and I can’t get a hold of the emergency vet. I’m at a loss of what to do. But I think it’s safe/sad to say the little one won’t survive. I’m absolutely gutted and keep crying.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can feel a raspy/crackling in his chest & throat when he breathes.
Is this kitten pneumonia?

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry posted too soon,
Or at one point today have I gone too quickly and made him aspirate? God..I feel awful

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it's pneumonia. It happens easily when so young. I'm so sorry, he will pass soon.... I know how you feel, believe me.
It only takes a little drop inhaled. Very sad...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the crackling is pneumonia. That’s why I asked. The sudden lethargy and lack of desire to eat indicated aspiration.

Any chance of saving the kitten would require immediate antibiotics.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being just 2 days old baby can't survive this, just too fragile.
It happens fast too, about 24-30 hours after aspirating, baby passes.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet has called back. He’s the only one in for the next 6 hours. The next vet closer to us is a few hours drive. (We live in a small town far away from many cities/other towns) do you think we can wait that long? I can’t stop crying, I didn’t realise how much this little fellow means to me.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not at all sure it was any fault nor mishap by you. Pneumonia is the most common reason healthy born kittens do pass away. Even kittens with momma. It can go pretty quickly too. Healthy in the evening, cold and stiff in the morning...

Good tip about the aspiration bulb. I must look into it, may be a good alternative to slunging.

Warm hugs!

Sorry I haven’t replied sooner, the tubing was far to stiff and thick anyway, so don’t worry I wouldn’t of attempted anyway, (partner said over the phone or was soft but i knew when I saw it, it was not flexable enough)
The kitten is cold after being snuggled with mum. He doesn’t have the strength to sickle at all now. He has a mucus coming out of his nose when he breathes. I’ve used an old sterilised aspiration bulb that my younger child had and it’s sucked loads of slimy mucus out.
There isn’t as much coming out now. It’s 20:30pm here and I can’t get a hold of the emergency vet. I’m at a loss of what to do. But I think it’s safe/sad to say the little one won’t survive. I’m absolutely gutted and keep crying.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont think you can wait that long. But on the other side, as it sounds he is actively dying. The vet would probably just pts him. Especielly if not a true expert on small weak kittens - most arent.

Vet has called back. He’s the only one in for the next 6 hours. The next vet closer to us is a few hours drive. (We live in a small town far away from many cities/other towns) do you think we can wait that long? I can’t stop crying, I didn’t realise how much this little fellow means to me.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. Kitten has now just taken 3 drops of sugar water. He’s managed to flip out of his box to the syringe which was a good foot away from him. So I tried him on it. He’s still lifting his head momentarily, and cries albeit weakly and scrawling around his box. This little guy seems to have some fight in him.
I’m going to stay up all night with him just see if I can keep him going.

This is absolutely heartbreaking. Who new something so tiny and small who is only 48 hours old could impact on you so much.
I love this little dear to life.
And I thank you alll for your amazing help x

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any tips to help through the next few hours. It sound harsh and I hate to say but I don’t know if I should let nature take its course or to possibly prolong the enevitable.

Little guy is still crying on and off.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the spelling mistakes. Type through tears.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can the vet call in a prescription to a pharmacy for you?

Keep the kitten warm and give honey water drops sparingly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can also run a hot shower to steam up the bathroom and sit in there holding the kitten for a few minutes. The steam may help him to breathe a little easier.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry im not ignoring the reply’s, as of yet. But is a kitten give a specific type of antibiotic that is the same as humans are given? I have a small amount of different antibiotics here at home. Can work out measurement and weight

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps you can also pray for your own strengh and endurance through this.