Cat Had Kittens. These Weights Ok?

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth to kittens this morning. 2 didn’t make it but the other 2 seem fine. One weighs 77.3grams and the other 83.8 grams.

Do I need to give the smaller one any kmr? Although I will most likely struggle because mum came and took the kittens off me when I was weighing them.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They seem to be on the lower end of the weight with 80 grams being in the idela birth weight range. I would keep an eye on them and if they are nursing and gaining weight, leave them with Mom. Given that she only has two she should have enough milk and love to go around. If they aren't gaining at least 10 grams a day, start supplementing what they are getting from Mom at that point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou, should I start from tomorrow supplementing them? And how much should I give and how often?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its lowish it is but not catastrophic. If they nurse good, do follow up with weigting even every 12 hours. If they add ok you dont need to supplement.

You must weigh because weak sucklers seem to nurse but dont get much...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If we presume they dont get much from momma the need today is 20 ml goats milk or kmr a day - 8 ml / 30 gram

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that 8ml per every 30g that they weigh? Sorry to be thick, I just don’t want to get anything wrong! I have kmr in already.
How do I feed the kitten (if I have to) when mum takes them back off me. Should I distract to take a kitten then return it back as soon as it’s fed. Obviously don’t want to stress mum and more than I have to!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes 8 / 30 so 24 on 90, etc.

But wait the 12 hours till you know they adda. I presume you see they nurse.

Best to handle them near momma so she sees everything is ok. But if not possible you must do it in another room.

Kittens with momma often reluctant to bottle a syringe or dropper often easier

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They do nurse.
I’ve just taken the smaller one away to feed because she was lay on him and he was crying and she didn’t move. But when I’ve brought him downstairs to syringe feed he cried and she came downstairs and has taken him off me. She still hasn’t cleaned him properly like she has the other kitten. I don’t know what to do for the best

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can they ignore one kitten and not the other? I’m worried she’s rejecting him

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s just let me latch the little kitten to her.
She also isn’t licking their abdomen and genitals after feeding them. I’ve gave them both a rub with a towel and they both wee’d and one started to poo.
How can I teach her to do this?

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She also doesn’t seem to groom either of them. The small one still has a small amount of dried blood on him from the birth.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may still be tired from the birth. Just keep assisting her for now and let her take over when she is ready.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might set out a saucer of KMR for the mother. As long as she is nursing the kittens she will need extra protein and calcium. Plus, can you provide her either kitten kibble and/or wet kitten food?

Good luck!

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whoops! Sorry for ALL the photos! I didn’t think it had worked!
Mum has a bowl of kmr she had a bowl earlier too. She’s had a few kitten biscuits too.
When is the earliest I can get mum and baby’s spay and neutered? We was told she had already been done so I want to get her done ASAP and the kittens so this can’t happen again.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mom can be spayed once the kittens are weaned. She can get pregnant while nursing so make sure she doesn’t have access to boys or outside. The kittens are usually two pounds.

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fantastic. Thankyou. We don’t have any other cats and she certainly isn’t going anywhere! I’ll call the vets and get her booked in for about 6 weeks time