Bengal cat versus tabby

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what i got, its not very helpful to me...but perhaps would be to you guys. One is "this is her as a baby"
There is absolutely no way to tell based upon those photos. Thank you for adopting rescues and not "purebred" cats! It does sound like $$$ is priority for the person, but as I don't know her, I don't want to be judgmental. Can he go and spend time with this kitten before making his decision? As you say personality is his consideration, I would think he would only adopt if he can do so.

Beaep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought we could do that, but this lady is now saying that she had no idea where the breed originated from, has no concern about bloodline. I linked some info to her about the origins of the line, and got the reply... "I wasn't concerned about that." and planned on breeding them?? I am so confused on how she expected to do so. She didnt want to hold her for him for 5 days, so likely she wont want to have a "play session."

I feel bad for this little girl, but given the fact she cant give me any information--(and now cant give me any info about them whatsoever other than the fact the father was full blooded and the mother "looked like her") I cant justify telling him to go ahead and pay $200 for an unspayed, likely unvetted cat that we cant prove is actually bengal. Since we will have to put out more money for spaying/vetting, and taking a huge chance--Im going to advise him against it at this point.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought we could do that, but this lady is now saying that she had no idea where the breed originated from, has no concern about bloodline. I linked some info to her about the origins of the line, and got the reply... "I wasn't concerned about that." and planned on breeding them?? I am so confused on how she expected to do so. She didnt want to hold her for him for 5 days, so likely she wont want to have a "play session."

I feel bad for this little girl, but given the fact she cant give me any information--(and now cant give me any info about them whatsoever other than the fact the father was full blooded and the mother "looked like her") I cant justify telling him to go ahead and pay $200 for an unspayed, likely unvetted cat that we cant prove is actually bengal. Since we will have to put out more money for spaying/vetting, and taking a huge chance--Im going to advise him against it at this point.
Based upon everything you've posted so far, I think you're right and would probably do the same because of his stated preferences. The little girl will hopefully find a loving permanent home. The woman's comments are extremely confusing to me, and I can't help thinking that if she was on the up-and-up, they wouldn't be. For anyone planning on adopting a lifelong companion to love and cherish, of COURSE they would want to be able to spend time with them to get to know them. I've almost always adopted from "the street" so that hasn't been possible, and when I adopt, it's for life, no matter what. But of course, given more options, someone like your uncle should be able to spend some time with a kitten to get to know him or her.

Beaep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a fluffy (I think mainecoon as hes near 20 pounds and has a beautiful fluff) lovely boy thats about 4 years old now. He was found on the side of the road and was barely able to eat on his own. And the newest edition wandered up to my husband at work and was about 8 weeks old at the time. She followed him around crying all day so he brought her home. We dont buy cats on the norm, we just end up with them. haha. We have a stray that lives at our house but is too fearful to come near humans so we feed him. The only cat that Ive ever "paid" for was from a shelter and that was his fee for neuter and vaccines. So I am clueless to the whole hunt for a specific breed. Thank you for the help. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a fluffy (I think mainecoon as hes near 20 pounds and has a beautiful fluff) lovely boy thats about 4 years old now. He was found on the side of the road and was barely able to eat on his own. And the newest edition wandered up to my husband at work and was about 8 weeks old at the time. She followed him around crying all day so he brought her home. We dont buy cats on the norm, we just end up with them. haha. We have a stray that lives at our house but is too fearful to come near humans so we feed him. The only cat that Ive ever "paid" for was from a shelter and that was his fee for neuter and vaccines. So I am clueless to the whole hunt for a specific breed. Thank you for the help. :)
Same here -- one cat adopted from local shelter, one from a rescuer friend of mine, and the rest all "stray" except for two whose former caregivers needed to rehome them for different reasons. One of those was Sammi, our Mainey man, also found as a tiny kitten by his first caregivers, an elderly couple, in BEVERLY HILLS, of all places (yes, these situations even occur there, sadly!).

If you're on facebook, you might try using their searchbox to find "Bengal cat breeders". You can start by inputting "LaCroix Tees(dot)com" which will give you a dropdown by-state menu you can click on to see listings of cat rescues, sanctuaries, and other groups, including breeding groups, in your area. Hopefully this is still valid information. If not, just input that information into google or bing and see what you get. Here's one listing I found:
The Bengal Cat Directory - Resource for Bengal Cats, Kittens, and Information

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If you're on facebook, you might try using their searchbox to find "Bengal cat breeders". You can start by inputting "LaCroix Tees(dot)com" which will give you a dropdown by-state menu you can click on to see listings of cat rescues, sanctuaries, and other groups, including breeding groups, in your area. Hopefully this is still valid information. If not, just input that information into google or bing and see what you get. Here's one listing I found:
The Bengal Cat Directory - Resource for Bengal Cats, Kittens, and Information
B Beaep , if you would like to look into Bengal breeders, Jungletrax is very reputable, having bred both the best Bengal and best Bengal kitten in TICA during the 2015-2016 show season. I'll attach a link to their website: Jungletrax Bengal Cats

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cat held by that young girl has surely some bengal ancestry. He prob isnt not full bengal, or if so, of pet quality. I dont see the kitten from aside, so I dont see if it has any especial marking, save being a nice tabby. Even if I think a see one or two spots on the shoulder.

The seller, being a BYB, she of course dont know much about lines nor ancestry....

That said, a purebred costs about 1000 dollars, more if its of good quality bengal. So 200 dollars isnt pricey for a nice cat tabby as soon you got the gene. Even if he is essentially an unsold kitten "a leftover" and these usually do get some price reduction. Why, its correct to try and raise the price and value of moggies! so if he just were nicely raised, I would even approve this. :)

Last, but not least. If he has truly that much of a bengal, count he will be very energetic, and need much work. Or at least, a lively pal whom is happy to chase, wrestle and play with him days long... :)

And of course a spaying is necessary. Bengals are known for spraying, and a byb bengal is almost sure to spray. Tehy also mature early.

My uncle is looking at buying a (around 6 months) kitten and wants to know more about identifying markings...As the lady claims it is 3/4 bengal and is $200. Based off these pictures I have no idea, and havent received a side picture yet. She is selling a male for $400 also, and his picture is the one that is obviously bengal. Any help on identification is welcome.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ha, the little one is a part bengal himher too, I reckon. The classical taby pattern here is slighltly unusual. The usual bulls eye is distorted. The coloring is odd too. May it be a tortie? blue and creme? Anyways, there is someting unusual here going on, and thus, my guess is heshe too has a bengal in the background. Granddad perhaps.
Granddad was thus a marbled bengal.

The bigger is spotted tabby, and fully possible has a granddad him too. :) And THiS granddad was rosetted bengal - possibly the more rare spotted bengal - if so, it could be even dear daddy.

Two sweeties!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, the little one is a part bengal himher too, I reckon. The classical taby pattern here is slighltly unusual. The usual bulls eye is distorted. The coloring is odd too. May it be a tortie? blue and creme? Anyways, there is someting unusual here going on, and thus, my guess is heshe too has a bengal in the background. Granddad perhaps.

The bigger is spotted tabby, and fully possible has a granddad him too. :) And THiS granddad was rosetted bengal - possibly the more rare spotted bengal - if so, it could be even dear daddy.

Two sweeties!
A lot of interesting ideas/suggestions there. I guess the question for them will always be "Who's your daddy?":wink:

WallahZareef

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Two sweeties!
Diva is the small one and Maximus is the bigger one. The vet at the shelter loved her, saying how she hasn't seen anything like it. View media item 419198View media item 419151View media item 419153

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise