Bengal cat versus tabby

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted Mango ( born July 1,2017) from our local animal shelter last September. My baby is now 6 months old.
He made me so curious about his background because of things like, he looks quite a bit different that cats I have seen, he is long and with silky sleek coat, he moves like in a hunter mode with his head jutting and he is sooo agile, sits on my lap on the throne, chirps/meeps quite a bit ; coat feels sooo slick but most of all becUse my daughters keep saying to me --what kind of exotic animal did you get mom?! He looks weird.( I guess different from the bicolour and orange tabbies we have had)
I know there is a chance you won't even be able to answer my question but if you do, you would give me a lot of joy! ( I have spent so many hours scouring the internet until I finally ended up on your site). I guess I just want to know if you think Mango has a little Bengal in him. This way I can try and read more into what makes them a little different and maybe be able to love and take care of him better and more individually.
I have attached some photos of my cutie
The last photo which consist of 3 on left side ( disclosure: photos of a two toned marble Bengal cat I found on a breeder site on the internet --after hours and hours of perusing! And the photos on the right side are Mango's.
It just seems uncanny ...
Thanks for any feedback!

Mango's mama
What a gorgeous cat!
Like you said, it can be so hard to know the true lineage of a cat. Just like a dog can be a mix of multiple breeds and not look like any of them, cats can sometimes come in amazing colors for seemingly no reason.
I would, however, agree that your cat could have Bengal, because of the Bengal craze that led to a lot of stray bengals out and about int he stray population. However, classic (marble/swirl) pattern cats are fairly common in shelters.

Sorry that wasn't a clear answer. Just know Mango is gorgeous : )

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Mango ( born July 1,2017) from our local animal shelter last September. My baby is now 6 months old.
He made me so curious about his background because of things like, he looks quite a bit different that cats I have seen, he is long and with silky sleek coat, he moves like in a hunter mode with his head jutting and he is sooo agile, sits on my lap on the throne, chirps/meeps quite a bit ; coat feels sooo slick but most of all becUse my daughters keep saying to me --what kind of exotic animal did you get mom?! He looks weird.( I guess different from the bicolour and orange tabbies we have had)
I know there is a chance you won't even be able to answer my question but if you do, you would give me a lot of joy! ( I have spent so many hours scouring the internet until I finally ended up on your site). I guess I just want to know if you think Mango has a little Bengal in him. This way I can try and read more into what makes them a little different and maybe be able to love and take care of him better and more individually.
I have attached some photos of my cutie
The last photo which consist of 3 on left side ( disclosure: photos of a two toned marble Bengal cat I found on a breeder site on the internet --after hours and hours of perusing! And the photos on the right side are Mango's.
It just seems uncanny ...
Thanks for any feedback!

Mango's mama
I'm far from an expert on breeds, but I just wanted to say that little Mango is adorable! It seems that he is more of a tabby, but judging from the markings he had in the younger pictures, it does seem that he could have a slight drop of Bengal blood.

I love Bengals and tabbies! Bengals and silver tabbies are my favourite types of cat.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mango is VERY handsome, no matter what his lineage may be. To me, he has the Classic tabby pattern which is not anywhere near as common as the mackerel tabby pattern of stripes without the swirl on the sides, but the pictures of Bengals you've posted also resemble him greatly.

Mango's Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a gorgeous cat!
Like you said, it can be so hard to know the true lineage of a cat. Just like a dog can be a mix of multiple breeds and not look like any of them, cats can sometimes come in amazing colors for seemingly no reason.
I would, however, agree that your cat could have Bengal, because of the Bengal craze that led to a lot of stray bengals out and about int he stray population. However, classic (marble/swirl) pattern cats are fairly common in shelters.

Sorry that wasn't a clear answer. Just know Mango is gorgeous : )
Awwww thanks so much for your feedback! Yep, I love this little fur all more and more everyday ( touch of Bengal or not lol)
He had has me wrapped around this little paw( finger hahaha) now--like my only "purr-paws" for living is to adore and cuddles him. ( that's what he thinks anyway hahahaha)

Mango's Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm far from an expert on breeds, but I just wanted to say that little Mango is adorable! It seems that he is more of a tabby, but judging from the markings he had in the younger pictures, it does seem that he could have a slight drop of Bengal blood.

I love Bengals and tabbies! Bengals and silver tabbies are my favourite types of cat.
Thanks so much for your feedback! This little bundle of energy makes me smile everyday. Yep! This fur-mama is falling deeply in love with little Mango

Delaney88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a cat to that I have no idea what he is! He could be a tabby (he sorta looks like my tabby cat) or a Bengal! I’ve always thought he had little lynx ears :3

This is Mr. Man (or Sebastian, we rarely use it though ) We adopted him from a pet shop (aka pet smart) and he was quite intelligent, he wanted too snuggle with us and didn’t want down, so my mother adopted him. We brought him home and he HATES being held! He loves too play and jump on the roof. He yells for anything (if we leave, if he’s stuck, if he’s hungry, if he’s wanting to be played with) and he ignores us half the time if he’s trying too sleep. When we got him we never really got told what he was. And my mother has always wanted too see what the heck he is :3 xD here’s some photos (1st photo is from when he was about 6 months old, newer ones are when he’s 1 and a month old.) if u need better photos please say, since he’s sleeping right at this moment and doesn’t want too be touched also he’s not thick, just muscle

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have a cat to that I have no idea what he is! He could be a tabby (he sorta looks like my tabby cat) or a Bengal! I’ve always thought he had little lynx ears :3

This is Mr. Man (or Sebastian, we rarely use it though ) We adopted him from a pet shop (aka pet smart) and he was quite intelligent, he wanted too snuggle with us and didn’t want down, so my mother adopted him. We brought him home and he HATES being held! He loves too play and jump on the roof. He yells for anything (if we leave, if he’s stuck, if he’s hungry, if he’s wanting to be played with) and he ignores us half the time if he’s trying too sleep. When we got him we never really got told what he was. And my mother has always wanted too see what the heck he is :3 xD here’s some photos (1st photo is from when he was about 6 months old, newer ones are when he’s 1 and a month old.) if u need better photos please say, since he’s sleeping right at this moment and doesn’t want too be touched also he’s not thick, just muscle
I'm no authority on "breeds" as my favorite "breed" is "rescued" and not "purebred", but Mr. Man is one gorgeous tigery boy, isn't he?! He looks quite a lot like our beloved angel Samuda, who was a black tabby rescue.
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG

Delaney88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahhh Samuda is quite the model. So cute! Posing for the cameras. I don’t know much about breeds either but Mr Man is just so much like a wild cat. I rarely think he might actually be since his stripes and spots faded. So Bengal is probably not going too happen, but I feel like he may still have something in him, :3 one funny thing/not so funny is if we change the food they eat, (dry) he usually tends too have to get used to it, so his body makes him throw up the food, which is not fun but it’s easy too run and safe yourself from mintues of cleaning because before he does it he screams “no, no, no, no” like a human so you can run and put a paper towel under him. Sad thing is I feel pain for my bby boy :(

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh Samuda is quite the model. So cute! Posing for the cameras. I don’t know much about breeds either but Mr Man is just so much like a wild cat. I rarely think he might actually be since his stripes and spots faded. So Bengal is probably not going too happen, but I feel like he may still have something in him, :3 one funny thing/not so funny is if we change the food they eat, (dry) he usually tends too have to get used to it, so his body makes him throw up the food, which is not fun but it’s easy too run and safe yourself from mintues of cleaning because before he does it he screams “no, no, no, no” like a human so you can run and put a paper towel under him. Sad thing is I feel pain for my bby boy :(
Yes, cats often do this with a change in their food and/or poor quality food. It is best when giving a new food to mix a small portion in with their regular food and increase the new food/decrease the old food gradually over a period of a week or two. Also, many experts and caregivers, myself included, believe a diet of high quality wet food is best. I feed high quality wet food 3 times a day and I have high quality dry food available for "snacking" along with fresh water, of course, and I feed high quality treats daily. My cats have always enjoyed a variety of wet foods, and I get them from DrsFosterSmith.com delivered to our door on our schedule! Great variety, great prices, and great customer service.
Thank you for admiring our angel Samuda. Yes, he was extremely handsome, and SO sweet.

Delaney88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm no authority on "breeds" as my favorite "breed" is "rescued" and not "purebred", but Mr. Man is one gorgeous tigery boy, isn't he?! He looks quite a lot like our beloved angel Samuda, who was a black tabby rescue. View attachment 220458 View attachment 220462
I’ll give it a try! We usually give our 4 cats (1st photo; willow 2nd photo; trinity (cranky one haha) 3rd photo; Faith (she’s our oldie model :3) and 4th is mr man) once a day some wet food at night. They actually think my name means food because whenever we feed them my mother usually yells my name for me so I can feed them (back problems) so whenever my mother or someone says my name they haul too the kitchen haha. The brand is Friskies. Not a fancy brand but does the job, we’ve been using it for years now!
48A6BC58-DF9A-4C63-B206-4339E89B27C8.jpeg
4F00A6C4-C1A2-4931-BCA2-E35CC80FEDE6.jpeg
4E7BE21F-265E-436F-B623-04A1DAB7597B.jpeg
D5671867-DD27-43FB-BF6E-B3C58F4D3D72.jpeg

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mr. Man is a really handsome cat, he's got mesmerizing eyes :)

Though I am no expert, I am inclined to say that there is no recent Bengal blood in him, at least not recent. I would consider his pattern as a broken mackerel (though StefanZ StefanZ , @1CatOverTheLine and @abyeb have a better eye for identifying possible Ancestors). Sobfar, I can only say your boy does look quite a lot like Spanish wild cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll give it a try! We usually give our 4 cats (1st photo; willow 2nd photo; trinity (cranky one haha) 3rd photo; Faith (she’s our oldie model :3) and 4th is mr man) once a day some wet food at night. They actually think my name means food because whenever we feed them my mother usually yells my name for me so I can feed them (back problems) so whenever my mother or someone says my name they haul too the kitchen haha. The brand is Friskies. Not a fancy brand but does the job, we’ve been using it for years now!View attachment 220478View attachment 220479View attachment 220480View attachment 220482
Awww, your cats are gorgeous and you are so fortunate to share life with a tortoiseshell, a dilute tortoiseshell and two tigery tabbies! Currently I am owned by a tortoiseshell, a tuxedo, and a blue/cream tabby.
My family have always loved, rescued, and adopted cats, and many of them have lived to very good ages. Our eldest passed at 21 years. I credit a lot of their good health and longevity to good diets of wet food. Actually, I've read elsewhere here on TCS that some of the Friskies varieties are pretty good, quality-wise. I feed a variety including Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Soulistic, and Drs. Foster & Smith.
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG

Tarifa, Suha, and Elvis PURRSley!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, your cats are gorgeous and you are so fortunate to share life with a tortoiseshell, a dilute tortoiseshell and two tigery tabbies! Currently I am owned by a tortoiseshell, a tuxedo, and a blue/cream tabby.
My family have always loved, rescued, and adopted cats, and many of them have lived to very good ages. Our eldest passed at 21 years. I credit a lot of their good health and longevity to good diets of wet food. Actually, I've read elsewhere here on TCS that some of the Friskies varieties are pretty good, quality-wise. I feed a variety including Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Soulistic, and Drs. Foster & Smith. View attachment 220490 View attachment 220491 View attachment 220492
Tarifa, Suha, and Elvis PURRSley!
Elvis is just so perfect...

Delaney88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! And omg your cats are so cute! ahhhhh
Yes, cats often do this with a change in their food and/or poor quality food. It is best when giving a new food to mix a small portion in with their regular food and increase the new food/decrease the old food gradually over a period of a week or two. Also, many experts and caregivers, myself included, believe a diet of high quality wet food is best. I feed high quality wet food 3 times a day and I have high quality dry food available for "snacking" along with fresh water, of course, and I feed high quality treats daily. My cats have always enjoyed a variety of wet foods, and I get them from DrsFosterSmith.com delivered to our door on our schedule! Great variety, great prices, and great customer service.
Thank you for admiring our angel Samuda. Yes, he was extremely handsome, and SO sweet.

Delaney88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alejandra! Thank you so much! I kinda knew he didn’t have a chance haha! But omg that would be so cool if he’s any one of those breeds. I’ve had atleast over 30ish cats in my life since I was at a young age and I just wish I can adopt all of them! I can’t go too any pet shop or shelter not wanting too bawl my eyes out for them not having a home. Usually I do bawl my eyes out haha!
Elvis is just so perfect...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alejandra! Thank you so much! I kinda knew he didn’t have a chance haha! But omg that would be so cool if he’s any one of those breeds. I’ve had atleast over 30ish cats in my life since I was at a young age and I just wish I can adopt all of them! I can’t go too any pet shop or shelter not wanting too bawl my eyes out for them not having a home. Usually I do bawl my eyes out haha!
I'm like that, too. I really can't go into those places for that reason. Have you seen that video about the girl who's just over the top about loving cats? That's how I am.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mr. Man is a really handsome cat, he's got mesmerizing eyes :)

Though I am no expert, I am inclined to say that there is no recent Bengal blood in him, at least not recent. I would consider his pattern as a broken mackerel (though StefanZ StefanZ , @1CatOverTheLine and @abyeb have a better eye for identifying possible Ancestors). Sobfar, I can only say your boy does look quite a lot like Spanish wild cats.
Sorry for being rude, but please, calling in such a mixed thread, please do always write which post / poster you are referring to.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see Mr Man has full spots on his right side... So in some associations, alike Fife in Europa, he would be counted as spotted.