Bengal cat versus tabby

Wildcat Maybelline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two months ago I adopted from a shelter a kitten with a marbled coat and a spinal stripe like I had never seen. He has white socks, throat, and belly. His background color is tan.I chose him for his gregarious and playful personality, not his looks. I at first thought he was a "classic tabby", but as time has passed I noticed that his back legs are getting pretty long, he makes kind of a metalic scratchy noise in his throat when he acts affectionate towards me, and he is completely obssessed with running water from the faucet. He also has incredible reflexes, vision, and hearing. I am now wondering if he had a Bengal cat parent. How does one figure - regular tabby or Bengal?

Attachments

ibandband

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two months ago I adopted from a shelter a kitten with a marbled coat and a spinal stripe like I had never seen. He has white socks, throat, and belly. His background color is tan.I chose him for his gregarious and playful personality, not his looks. I at first thought he was a "classic tabby", but as time has passed I noticed that his back legs are getting pretty long, he makes kind of a metalic scratchy noise in his throat when he acts affectionate towards me, and he is completely obssessed with running water from the faucet. He also has incredible reflexes, vision, and hearing. I am now wondering if he had a Bengal cat parent. How does one figure - regular tabby or Bengal?

ibandband

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one male Bengal and on little female mixed Tabby - Bengal, but I was not sure. She has a lot of character like him but her verbal is different. Her fur is not as shiny as him. But they are both my babies and so lovable.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he is very apparently a bengal, both coat and head. Perhaps not show quality, yet visibly a bengal. She probably isnt, she is a ticked tabby. BUT ticked tabby is dominant over both spotted and marbled tabby, so she may have bengal ancestry anyway - the bengal pattern characteristica wont be visible on her. If you have other indicies she is part bengal, they may even be true. :)

I ibandband

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A beauty. although not much of bengal ancestry is visible. You know she is a torbie? ie tabby + tortie? Not much visible, but the reddish spot on the head is very revealing.

Ps: the domestic granddad was surely a mackerel / broken mackerel tabby. Its a strong gene, dominates and takes over classical tabby of (marbled bengal) - and possibly also the spot tabby (rosette bengal)

Mandy81 Mandy81

Nickyjay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I took my tabby to the vets to get 're prescribed for his spot on. He was originally a feral kitten found under a chicken coop in Cheddar UK. The vet believes he is half Bengal. She could not be live how large he is at 8.9 kg 19.5 pounds, but healthy.
20171003_143904.jpg
20171003_155827.jpg
20171003_160212.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very handsome, black and silver broken mackerel.

I dont think although he has any near bengal ancestry. Granddad perhaps, not nearer.

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
N Nickyjay StefanZ StefanZ Do this cats spots line up vertically? They almost look like they run more diagonally? (I guess how spots do or do not line up may sometimes be debatable and more in the eye of the beholder) If those are diagonal running arrow shaped spots they maybe a great example of one of the patterns seen in spotted cats I wondered about in the thread I tried to start, on different types of spots and what they might indicate about a cats ancestry.

So, from Stefanz response it sounds like broken mackerel tabbies, with no wild blood in the mix, can have spots on the upper part of the sides that are are not lined up entirely vertically, and instead may run more diagonally or vertically?

Nickyjay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
N Nickyjay StefanZ StefanZ Do this cats spots line up vertically? They almost look like they run more diagonally? (I guess how spots do or do not line up may sometimes be debatable and more in the eye of the beholder) If those are diagonal running arrow shaped spots they maybe a great example of one of the patterns seen in spotted cats I wondered about in the thread I tried to start, on different types of spots and what they might indicate about a cats ancestry.

So, from Stefanz response it sounds like broken mackerel tabbies, with no wild blood in the mix, can have spots on the upper part of the sides that are are not lined up entirely vertically, and instead may run more diagonally or vertically?
Hi Dacatchair. I would say they run vertically from behind his shoulder blades. Hear is another picture I took straight down while having his breakfast.

Attachments