Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking. Artie is a love.. cuddles in bed with me each night. I wake up to his nice warm body, up against me.. sweet boy.

I do not want to jinx anything.. We seem to have a routine going..

He gets his Fancy Feast Classics, during the day, a few treats in the afternoon, and then the prescription Fiber Response dry food at night..

I found some homeopathic drops, for allergies, that I am giving him at least once a day. He is really good about taking it.
It is supposed to help with skin allergies. I figure, the chicken is aggravating him.. when he was ripping out chunks of fur.. still shedding a ton, but not as bad.

He pooped today, about 8 inches.. good boy!

Eating about 3/4 small can and between 1/4 -1/3 cup of dry...

He does occasionally vomit.. it was just plain foam/stomach acid, this weekend-- sometimes a fur ball.

He also ate so fast, that he aspirated a bit of his wet food; resulting in a coughing spell the other night.. that is a new one.. It was coughing.. head low, coughing side to side..

Artie grunts now, when he grooms... just like an old man...
which he is!!!

and his back talk is incredible..
Every morning, I say, "Good Morning Monkey".. He hurrmps.. me back.. a few times..

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

These were from the winter--actually about a month or so, ago.., when he was sunning himself...

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking. Artie is a love.. cuddles in bed with me each night. I wake up to his nice warm body, up against me.. sweet boy.

I do not want to jinx anything.. We seem to have a routine going..

He gets his Fancy Feast Classics, during the day, a few treats in the afternoon, and then the prescription Fiber Response dry food at night..

I found some homeopathic drops, for allergies, that I am giving him at least once a day. He is really good about taking it.
It is supposed to help with skin allergies. I figure, the chicken is aggravating him.. when he was ripping out chunks of fur.. still shedding a ton, but not as bad.

Eating about 3/4 small can and between 1/4 -1/3 cup of dry...

He does occasionally vomit.. it was just plain foam/stomach acid, this weekend-- sometimes a fur ball.

He also ate so fast, that he aspirated a bit of his wet food; resulting in a coughing spell the other night.. that is a new one.. It was coughing.. head low, coughing side to side..

Artie grunts now, when he grooms... just like an old man...
which he is!!!

and his back talk is incredible..
Every morning, I say, "Good Morning Monkey".. He hurrmps.. me back.. a few times..

View attachment 229256

View attachment 229258

These were from the winter--actually about a month or so, ago.., when he was sunning himself...
Artie's looking very well and of course, devastatingly handsome as always :redcat: Good on him for taking the homeopathic remedy well! It is the start of shedding season and even though my three shorthairs get groomed as often as they want/I can, they are sometimes having furballs and also regurge-ing. :sigh:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
so those Ideas are out.. I just hug and praise him after each dose.. The midday one is not bad, because he is sleeping..
Well, we tried. Keep on keeping on. You do wonderfully well with him.

The swelling of the neck is gone.. lasted less than a day.. thinking it was because he was scruffed for the x-ray.. not going to complain..
Oh, thank goodness!

Scary, lasting about 3 minutes..
.he is ok...
Yep, and that 3 minutes felt like 3 days, didn't it? Hek does that on rare occasions, and I am always terrified!

Some of that shedding is the season, you know. And not having him ripping fur out is really good! Glad those are working so well for you!

YAY ARTIE! We're so proud of you!

Thanks for those photos. He's just a stunning cat, isn't he? A true Grand Old Man.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Guess I should not have given such a good update on Artie..
It was a jinx...

Artie had a pretty bad couple episodes of pure diarrhea last night.
It was all over his bum, his tail..
Very hard to clean off of him.. baby wipes first, Then paper towels with water, then waterless shampoo, then paper towels with water.. then dry paper towels..

Poor thing.. he was leaving marks all over the place.. pulled out more puppy pads..

He really wanted to lie down on my lap with his fleece throw. He refused lying on a puppy pad.. I had to take it off. Once he was settled, I folded up a bit of the PP; placing it under his bum.. good thing I did, he farted and more diarrhea came out...

This morning, I woke up early, heard him in his box, digging, got up, caught him before he left the bathroom. He still had some diarrhea on him-- all he did was pee, standing up.. I tried to wipe him down again, but he must be so sore.. He kept crying when I tried.. poor thing...

All this has to be from the treats.. no more treats for him.. sigh.. and I was hoping this would help him gain a tiny bit of weight. sigh..

I withheld his last dose of cisapride, last night, and cut back on the amount this morning. I do not want to discontinue it completely.. He needs it because he switches from soft stool to constipation so fast..

another call into NVet this morning.. sigh..

I know he is going to say: No Treats, No miralax, and cut back on the cisapride, a tiny bit... sigh...

It has been years since he had diarrhea.. or at least it feels like years.. sigh..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Artie had these episodes of diarrhea, I know how hard it is for you and him, believe me, I know! :(

Hopefully it will fix on its own as soon as you remove the possible cause of it.

I'm always a bit concerned when I have to say that Pallina is doing fine, because it soon happens that she's not :confused2:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess I should not have given such a good update on Artie..
It was a jinx...

Artie had a pretty bad couple episodes of pure diarrhea last night.
It was all over his bum, his tail..
Very hard to clean off of him.. baby wipes first, Then paper towels with water, then waterless shampoo, then paper towels with water.. then dry paper towels..

Poor thing.. he was leaving marks all over the place.. pulled out more puppy pads..

He really wanted to lie down on my lap with his fleece throw. He refused lying on a puppy pad.. I had to take it off. Once he was settled, I folded up a bit of the PP; placing it under his bum.. good thing I did, he farted and more diarrhea came out...

This morning, I woke up early, heard him in his box, digging, got up, caught him before he left the bathroom. He still had some diarrhea on him-- all he did was pee, standing up.. I tried to wipe him down again, but he must be so sore.. He kept crying when I tried.. poor thing...

All this has to be from the treats.. no more treats for him.. sigh.. and I was hoping this would help him gain a tiny bit of weight. sigh..

I withheld his last dose of cisapride, last night, and cut back on the amount this morning. I do not want to discontinue it completely.. He needs it because he switches from soft stool to constipation so fast..

another call into NVet this morning.. sigh..

I know he is going to say: No Treats, No miralax, and cut back on the cisapride, a tiny bit... sigh...

It has been years since he had diarrhea.. or at least it feels like years.. sigh..
IDK if he'll let you do this, but I used to bathe the hind quarters of cats who needed it by filling my bathroom sink with warm water and cruelty-free shampoo that I use on my own hair, and then lowering the cat into this. Even cats who would not hold still for a bath, I don't think, let me do this. Then a rinse, followed by a toweling. Easy, quick, effective, and can be done multiple times per day if needed. I'm so sorry for you both that this had to happen! Maybe NVet will have some recommendations. I hope so.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie was exhausted today. I do not blame him.
He was, at one point, running away from me. I was at his bum, just once too often. I had to leave him alone. Artie did not even want to be brushed. As it was, when I tried to brush him, I saw some poop on him. So I had to wipe it off with a tissue.. He protested. That was the end of our loving relationship, today...

Artie ended on my bed, all curled up-- all day long.

He ate only 1/4 can this morning. Nothing during the night.

When I left the house, at 11am, he was on my bed. When I came home, at 1:30pm.. still in the same position.
I decided to call NVet to tell him that I was giving him a Cerenia. He was licking his lips..

Gave the Cerenia'; an hour later, he was eating!!! Also cut back a bit on the 2 doses of his cisapride. I think regular dose tonight. Also, no miralax today...

I was thinking of giving him a cyproheptadine, but he decided to eat on his own..
He just finished off his can of food..

When the NVet saw the picture of his vomit with the fur pieces, he said: "Looks like someone was tearing out their fur".. and agreed with all the I proposed for his treatment, today..

Now Artie is back to his tent... that is ok.. he did come out of my bedroom, to look out the balcony door, and just bask in the warm air coming in... 89 degrees today..

He will be improved, tomorrow.

If I remember, I may try to give him another dose of that homeopathic stuff.. who knows if it is helping him????

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried the hydrolyzed treats--- did not even sniff them, walked away. Large hard pieces

The freeze dried turkey was a tiny bit better- Artie sniffed, and sniffed, licked, and spit it out...

Bonito Flakes-- naw..

Pure Bites-- naw...

the little freeze dried fishes--no way..

tiny Pure Bites, shrimp---naw...

spent a fortune on hypoallergenic treats..

Artie wants his Temptations and his Meow Mix.. I think the Meow Mix was too much for him.. sticking with the Temptations, in the future.. not getting any for a while..

Status
Not open for further replies.